Tour Group season is upon us

The Empress Lilly

Usually when people do that to me, I tell them that if they want to ride together they should go back in line to where that person is. That doesn't usually go over to well though either. For some reason no one ever wants to go back in line, only forward. :D
I have bnever understood this. Why if you want to ride together should that mean everybody has the right to join the one furthest up the line? The obvious thing to do is for the ones ahead to wait for the last members of their party to join up with them, ie, by letting other pass.

cw1982

I have bnever understood this. Why if you want to ride together should that mean everybody has the right to join the one furthest up the line? The obvious thing to do is for the ones ahead to wait for the last members of their party to join up with them, ie, by letting other pass.

You're assuming people have a little thing called manners. Unfortunately, many do not.

BuddyThomas

I don't know how there can possibly be any international tour groups at WDW right now, since they all seem to be clogging every inch of sidewalk space on Fifth Avenue outside my office in NYC, chanting, and walking in lines of 12 across, and waving flags, and taking pictures of walls, and just standing there in a huddle of 20 or more, having sidewalk socials like they are at the beach, and lining up in two hour long lines to get into the Abercrombie and Fitch Store, and generally making the locals think about going out and buying boxing gloves to wear as we try to get to our jobs through this obnoxious crowd every morning. GRRRR..........

fillerup

I happened to pull into a Best Buy a couple of hours ago and there was a big yellow bus with "Formo Tours" and a Brazilian flag painted on the side.

It was pretty interesting to watch about sixty or so 15 and 16 year olds in yellow shirts filling carts and baskets with phones, ipads, ipods, cameras, laptops, game systems and every accessory imaginable.

No chanting or singing though and they were all very polite.

note2001

Just got back from a trip over July 4th. There were quite the number of tour groups, but in their favor, most of those I saw were very well behaved. Exception to Argentina when they were playing just recently (and that was just a simple "Ar-gen-ti-na" chant that did not last forever, I doubt it lasted more than 5 minutes.) And the second being a group of girls getting happy with the rain - dancing on main street with their shoes off. Although someone must have said something as they headed out to they buses because playtime quickly ended and all shoes (except for those of one of the older members of the group) were quickly placed back on the feet and walking resumed.

What I did see were rude individuals, mostly American, judging by language and accents. To them, I apologize, I did not understand it was your vacation I was interrupting when the cashier asked me where I was from and answered. And to another couple, when I side stepped oncoming strollers and cross traffic, I did step in front of you as you attempted to run around me and get to the Phillarmagic queue line (I was not headed for) before me. Thank you for pointing out that I was the rude one there. I decided for the remainder of our trip I'd sit out the foot traffic in the stroller parking areas so I would not encounter you again. (Just kidding, and simply making a point... the tour groups did none of this.)

Although I thought it curious that the tour groups would elect to travel to Disney over one of the most crowded times instead of waiting a week to come, they would not impact my decision to visit again over the holiday week.

Last edited:

Minnie1976

Argentina VS Brazil Tour Groups at Mickey's Philharmagic:

I can't imagine having to stand there and listen to this loud chanting. Yes, you could leave, but how long have yo already waited in line. There is no respect for the people around them. They should have been asked to stop or leave. Why should other people have to put up with this?

awheartsdw

My DH and I had an incident with the tour group 16 years ago. After we had graduated from college, we went to DW to celebrate. Well after 1 in the morning they were being incredibly loud at the hotel (All Star Music). My DH, who is an intimidating presence, walked out of our hotel room, and very loudly told them to stop. And to go to bed. And they listened.

I'm all for being spirited and excited to be in Disney. I too can appreciate the fact that foreigners are supporting our American economy and chosing to travel to the United States to spend their money here. What I can't support is the utter disregard and common courtesy of visiting another country. If American students traveled to another country and behaved in this manner, they would be labeled 'ugly', 'rude', 'disrepectful' and a multitude of other deserved words. You are traveling and should be expcected to be exhibit proper behavior, whether in a foreign country or your own homeland. I could not imagine the uproar if American teenagers randomly began chanting "USA, USA, USA" in a foreign locale, outside of rooting for a hometeam at a sporting event. One's culture or one's country is not superior to another. There are tons of American teen tour groups that visit countries all over the world in the summer months, try as you might to google 'American tour groups in (insert your country of choice here)' you come up with nothing. Show some pride in others, show some respect, exhibit some self control.

seahawk7

Walking through Animal Kingdom last year we came upon a Brazilian tour group near Flame Tree blocking half the walkway while performing one of their annoying and loud chants. A cast member walked up and told that they had to stop because they were scaring the animals. Wish I would have gotten his name to thank him - although this is more than likely not "official" policy, there were many happy guests because of this. Would love to see the "shut-the-hell-up" policy become official.
I've seen cast members tell tour groups to be quiet after loading them in ToT. Actually she had to yell and wave her hands around to get their attention. Very satisfying to hear the silence.

seahawk7

*raises hand* RnRC. God help me, never again. Although I did manage to loop that ride five times in the single rider line before they managed to segue over from ToT. The only good thing is the initial take-off of the coaster shut 'em all up REAL quick. :hilarious:

I agree that it's the chanting that bugs the most...especially since you can't hear anything over it. It's bad when you can't talk to other members of your own party, but it especially bugs me when they do it during rides - I've been in the ToT video room and the HM stretching room with tour groups and some of them don't even shut up then. I go at least once a year, but for people for whom this is their only trip to Disney? Don't ruin it by chanting over all the ride narration.
Noise pollution is noise pollution and it should not be tolerated by any group out of fear of being seen as culturally insensitive. Would we allow the group to walk around naked?

The Duck

A Facebook friend posted this evening (Friday, July 11th) that a fight had just broken out in the POTC queue. Apparently, half of a Brazilian tour group was trying to cut in line to catch up with the other half further up. The rest of the crowd began arguing which led to a fight and then, people started scattering.
I haven't heard any other reports but this person says that he was an eyewitness. Can anyone else confirm?

HatboxGhost

Dunno. I find a certain peace in the parks, absorbing the atmosphere, hearing the background music, and strolling with my family.
Agreed. Even down to the smallest details make the experience total Disney. Some people just don't give a damn about the fact that other people actually paid with their hard earned money to get there and just want to enjoy the magic instead of the loudmouth bulls*it

matt9112

brace yourself.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom