ToT Fight!!!

Mad Stitch

No. Disney management doesn't see it as the CM "helping" the situation but rather "getting involved." They would've been punished and it isn't worth loosing your job over.

If Disney wants’ to fire me for getting involved when a security guard was getting his rear kicked then let them. There are plenty of other minimum wage jobs around town.

G00fyDad

Had everyone dogpiled the guy in the first 20 seconds this situation would have been far less upsetting than trying to manage the crowd and keep the show going for 4 minutes. Employees everywhere are told to never lay a finger on someone. Even shoplifters can't be physically detained. And I'm not saying they need to be throwing punches but there comes a point where manhandling someone is absolutely necessary.

Maybe not by regular employees but I have been a Loss Prevention Detective at a couple of retail stores before and yes, we could tackle, handcuff, and detain the shoplifters. Just not chase them into the parking lot where they can get hit by a car. :) I agree that the regular employees did the right thing by staying out of this. Disney has staff trained to handle this situation and they should be the ones to deal with this guy. Of course that doesn't explain WTH they were. But the CMs still did right by not getting involved.

G00fyDad

If Disney wants’ to fire me for getting involved when a security guard was getting his rear kicked then let them. There are plenty of other minimum wage jobs around town.

But none of them have the safe and secure surroundings of magic that Disneyland has. :lookaroun

MansionGoer13z

Looks like its time to replace the pepper spray with tazers. Pepper spray only provokes, and does not resolve the situations where the person is drunk or mentally ill.

G00fyDad

Looks like its time to replace the pepper spray with tazers. Pepper spray only provokes, and does not resolve the situations where the person is drunk or mentally ill.

Actually they need police/military issue spray. That crap you buy at Walmart is little better than tobasco sauce. The police/military issue will make you cry like a baby and claw your eyes out. We had to get sprayed in the police academy both in the military and the civilian police.

And tazers require far more liability than pepper spray. :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I disagree, tasers can cause their own problems, as seen with the video just posted on CNN.com of a woman who hit her head on the concrete after being tased, is now brain-dead.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Really surprised Disney security were so slow to respond to this, and pretty poor that it was left to park guests to restrain the guy. Were Disney security too busy looking for people with tripods or pro-level camera gear to get involved in a real security issue?

captainkidd

I disagree, tasers can cause their own problems, as seen with the video just posted on CNN.com of a woman who hit her head on the concrete after being tased, is now brain-dead.

That was extremely rare, and could have easily happened by pepper spraying someone. Not to justify it, as the cop's actions, regardless of what the judge says, were unnecessary. Moron could have easily grabbed her.

the-reason14

Okay we all agree that the guy, for whatever reason was an *** but was anyone else annoyed by the idiots filming it? Personally, I just wanted to smack the girl yelling at the guy. If he isn't going to lay down for pepper spray then I doubt her incessant whining about it was going to do any better. And what about the two idiots trying to be funny? "He must have drank some vodka! Hahahahah." Yeah, they were too cool for me. :brick:
And has anyone found out what the moron's problem was? Was he drunk or did he get attacked and that part just not shown on video?

Definitely agree with you. Seems nowadays people are more inclined to take videos and pics of situations like this, instead of trying to help or minding their own business. I'd probably just have looked for a little while then left and tell somebody at the nearest store that they need backup over at ToT. Wouldn't want to waste my time and possibly ruin my day seeing this crap at Disneyland of all places.

SuperSaint

Seems like those involved didn't know any proper protocol for the situation. The CM kept spraying pepper spray expecting the guy to fall over in complete submission.

I watched this a few times, it just seems like a bunch of people didn't know what to do or couldn't do much for a variety of reasons. Now it's up to the peanut gallery to commentate on what they would have done in the situation, although I'm sure most people would react the same.

sublimesting

Maybe not by regular employees but I have been a Loss Prevention Detective at a couple of retail stores before and yes, we could tackle, handcuff, and detain the shoplifters. Just not chase them into the parking lot where they can get hit by a car. :) I agree that the regular employees did the right thing by staying out of this. Disney has staff trained to handle this situation and they should be the ones to deal with this guy. Of course that doesn't explain WTH they were. But the CMs still did right by not getting involved.

Yes, I stand corrected. Laws apparently vary state by state.

Txrayado

The security guy probably didn't have handcuffs because he couldnt. Not sure how laws are in California but if it's like texas it would be considered an unlawful detainment . Kinda dumb but that's how it goes sometimes

imagineer boy

Boy that lady got on my nerves..... Should've peppers sprayed her. As well as the hipster idiots who were filming. :lol:

And its truly amazing it took secuity that long to respond. In the old days, they would have been all over that guy in a matter of seconds.

Mad Stitch

Does anyone know why Disney (Disneyland or World, I don’t care which) does not have their own police force? When Cedar Point has one I can’t imagine why Disney does not. Possible reasons: “A uniformed officer walking the parks with a gun and handcuffs ruins the magic.” If safety truly came first this would not be an issue. Reason 2: “Disney opens themselves to more liability.” No more so than cm’s with the title of security carrying pepper spray. Heck, I would think it would be less labiality when a police force has the law on their side.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No. Disney management doesn't see it as the CM "helping" the situation but rather "getting involved." They would've been punished and it isn't worth loosing your job over.

Don't know why backup didn't arrive sooner. In WDW security is increasing more and more, even within the last 6 months. Orange Co. is only a call away and they are always lingering around the parks anyway.

In other words - your job wins over common decency? It's pathetic that Disney won't even stand up for their own employees in a situation where someone's personal safety is on the line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does anyone know why Disney (Disneyland or World, I don’t care which) does not have their own police force? When Cedar Point has one I can’t imagine why Disney does not. Possible reasons: “A uniformed officer walking the parks with a gun and handcuffs ruins the magic.” If safety truly came first this would not be an issue. Reason 2: “Disney opens themselves to more liability.” No more so than cm’s with the title of security carrying pepper spray. Heck, I would think it would be less labiality when a police force has the law on their side.

They do have their own security and county police are also stationed on property. They have what you are asking for

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom