Top Tips!!!

disney4life2008

as a former safari driver, i am always defending this suggestion! Once the rains begin, everyone clears out of the safari line bc they think that the animals will "go in." it is actually the opposite! Safari drivers have to keep driving around the safari, even if their vehicle is empty. That is when the hippos are out and walking around, the rhinos are running and, best of all, the elephants are in the water, spraying and playing! It was always my favorite time to go through. I suggest you give it a try! ;)

i completely agree!!

kymie

If you have a digital camera take a photo of your photopass number, and where you park. You can delete your parking one everyday once you have got back to your car - it saves you having to remember, and also if you lose your photopass you can give your number over and they can get your photos up for you.

Monsterfan99

Packs - I was in the camp against them for the longest time. Until this year and a trip to Kings Island in Ohio. We were having problems with the digital camera I use getting beat around on thrill rides. We decided to get buy a pack, just for use that weekend to protect the camera. The camera has now been on 70 roller coasters in the last year alone and works perfect.

They may look dumb, but they work. Plus, for 2 people in their mid 20's (with no kids :sohappy:), a backpack is overkill.

I also saw flip-flops on the list as things to avoid. It depends on if you wear them on a regular basis. I wear them all the time unless I have a function that requires dress shoes. If your feet are used to them, it shouldn't be a problem. I regularly wear the cheapest wal-mart ones (3-4 buck) at various theme parks for 12-14 hours at a time. But only you know what your feet need.

justdru

We picked up a small pet ID tag for $6 at petsmart and had it engraved with "I'm Lost. Call Daddy and his phone number. Each day we pointed out to my son where he could find "nice workers" that he could show the tag to and they would call us. We put the tag on his shoe lace every day. We didn't ever have to utilize it, but we felt better having it there as you just never know. I did notice a few places in the parks where they had Disney ID tags and they were only $10, so not much more than you would pay at a pet store if you want a Disney shape or design.

This is a great idea! However, I have one that's similar and improves on it. In law enforcement, we always suggested that parents go by the hospitals before leaving on vacation and ask the nurses very nicely if they could make them a few wristbands. On the wristband they'd list the child's name, telephone number, backup number, and any medical problems or allergies.

The idea was that if your kid wanders off a name and phone number might not be enough. What if he gets hurts while searching for you and the emergency workers don't have you there to let them know he's allergic to certain meds? Etc.

The biggest perk this has is that when a child is scared he might not remember or think to show the workers his shoe tag. This is especially true for younger children. However, with a medical wristband on, the worker will inevitably notice it because he or she will almost certainly hold your child's hand.

If your hospital is nice enough to do it for you (most will be) it's also free.

Just a tip! :wave:

Figment73

Tennis shoes. Sunblock, and yes the Fashion fau pas pack. Backpacks are to heavy in the Florida heat. And beside the fact Mom always has to carry it and whatever anyone decides to put in it

disneylemons

Plan ahead.. my daughter and I probably go overboard but by the time we get there - we have a grid with EMH for the day, where our ADR is that day, where we plan to eat counter service for whatever park we are going to that day. We also plan time to veg at the resort by the pool or we like to go to the different gift shops at each resort also - I like to collect the charms and each resort has one that represents that resort.

stephmtl

The great fannypack/backpack debate - Solved!

The last 3 visits we used a small camelback bp instead of either. If you store things in the non water compartment its about the same size as an FP, plus if you fill it with ice in the morning and replenish the water during the day, it can keep 2 adults nicely hydrated!

just my 0.02

WDW 3

We go into serious training (walking) for a couple months before our trip. There is a lot of walking and I don't think people realize how huge the parks are!! Because of this we know which shoes are going to work and which to leave home.

Did the pack thing and now DD and I use "swing packs" and DH wears cargo shorts. We travel light.

My tip:

• If you are going in the summer and don't have a hat bring sunscreen!! A relative found that out the hard way.

• TSMM is great to go to during fantasmic(if it is showing when you go) because everyone is at fantasmic. When we went we were walking there and all these people just started running right past us! It was a good 30 min wait and then hour once everyone else came.

chenzo

Stroller tip

When we visit the parks we rent a double stroller for our two kids - ages 5 and 6 1/2. The stroller is great for one child to take a break or for both to squeeze in to move through the park at a quick pace. They always find a way for them both to fit comfortably for a short period of time. The stroller allows you a place to put items like backpack, blankets for night, and bags. You can bring your own (it is cheaper) but it can be a hassle to get them on and off the bus at the end of the night. If you do your own, PLEASE practice folding it up because at the end of the night there are alot of people waiting to get on the bus and it is very crowded. It is sometimes harder to carry the child, the stroller and the miscellaneous items. And others may not have the patience to wait for someone to figure out how to fold the stroller and can be rude. Basically, our two at their ages love having the stroller accessible to them throughout the day.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My tip:

• If you are going in the summer and don't have a hat bring sunscreen!! A relative found that out the hard way.

• TSMM is great to go to during fantasmic(if it is showing when you go) because everyone is at fantasmic. When we went we were walking there and all these people just started running right past us! It was a good 30 min wait and then hour once everyone else came.

Bring sunscreen even if you do have a hat!

SonicRuin

My suggestions (just got back yesterday):

Read through all of these suggestions before this one and decide which ones work best for you.

Packs and Backpacks:
Everybody in my family (4 of us) had packs that we all carried something we wanted right on ourselves. Mine had my wallet and phone, plus a ziplock back to place the pack in on the wet rides. My wife and kids had their own for misc. things.
I carried the backpack the majority of the time. That had the ponchos for everybody, a couple of sweatshirts (if you do get wet and go into a cool building, you might need a sweatshirt, my wife gets cold easily), a towel, sunscreen. Plus in the backpack I would store the camera and mouse ears on the wet rides. On a couple of days we checked the backpack.
Are packs "fashion faux paus" or whatever? Maybe, but I am at a theme park to have fun. It isn't a fashion show and I spent my 10 days wearing mouse ears on my head...if you want to make fun of a pack you can't really see under my shirt, then you have a bigger problem than I do.

Sandles, tennis shoes, flip flops???
I wore sandles the majority of the time. They are the kind that are NOT exposing my toes. But it was dang near 100 degrees (if not more than that) and way too hot with normal shoes and socks on. Plus, there are few things in life more uncomfortable than wet tennis shoes and socks. I almost bought Crocs...but the price is sooooo high. But they seem like the ideal shoe for the theme park thing. From what I am told, they are really comfortable, they don't get wet, and they have ventilation. The only problem is that they are ugly as sin. But as for fashion, see my earlier entry.

LISTEN TO WHAT EVERYBODY SAYS ABOUT HEADING OUT AND RELAXING!!!
I didn't listen. I did fine. I also run 6 miles a day though. My wife and kids were beaten to heck with my continual "go, go, go" ways. They went along, bless 'em, but yesterday my son fell asleep at 1:30PM on our way home (after the plane flight) and didn't wake up until this morning at 7AM. The poor little guy was a beast on many of the days, and as it turns out it was all due to his just being exhausted.

Oh yeah, and adults, DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE HAVING FUN! I am amazed at how many adults I see there that are "too grown up" or whatever to just give in and be a kid again. Get some ears, put 'em on, and hug a character.

spin0908

Small children-

If you have small children and are afraid of them getting lost, visit this site www.safetytat.com. They are temporary tatoos with your childs name and you can put your cell phone number on them. Our daughter wore them on the inside of her arm- near her armpit. This way it wasn't visable in pictures, but she knew it was there. She was 4yrs. old, and she was very well aware that this tatoo was on her. I do like the idea of the tag on the shoes (daughter wears crocs though) and the hospital bands as well. I was looking for something that wouldn't stick out. Luckily, she never had to use them to ask anyone to call us, but it was there if we needed it.

We did notice that they don't stay on too well while swimming....so plan to re-apply. Hope this helps someone out there :) :wave:

tiaragirl

Breakfast

If you've got extra room (personally, I suggest you MAKE room) bring a box or two of cereal. If you are not a big breakfast person, you will not fare well with morning options. Your best bet is to bring some cereal and buy milk in the morning. Insta-breakfast for much cheaper.

princessmelinda

1. If you want to see characters but don't want to interupt your trip do a character meal it's so worth it.
2. If you see a rare character (or characters) stop and wait even if its a long line, you don't want to regret not stopping!
3. Some people hate them, but crocs with sox are very comfortable to walk in. I got white ones for my last trip and wore white sox and from far away (and in pictures) it looks like you're wearing white sneakers. Comfort over looks ;)
4. Get a preferred room NO MATTER WHAT, you will regret it if you don't.
5. Always talk to cast members, they are really interesting people!

Hope this helped :) :wave:

TheJonesys

We had little ID bracelets made for our children with names and mobile number on .
I've seen people waiting by the fast pass machines waiting for the correct time to come up because they don't want to ride till later or they've got a meal booked, so my best tip is that get your fast pass early and as long as you go back after your return time the CMs will let you in.

Figments Friend

• take a notebook with you and jot down a couple experiences here and there or at least at night when you get back to your room. Helps if you're doing photo albums or scrapbooks later. Also jot down the name of any Cast Member that you felt went out of their way to show you a magical day so you can let Guest Services know or write an appreciative note to Disney when you get home

Excellent advice!

If more Guests did this, i think we would have more happy CMs these days. They take a LOT of abuse, and like most jobs, people rarely hear when they have done something positive and seem to always only be hearing about the negative.

If a CM REALLY wows you, take the time to stop by Guest Relations when you exit the Park and LET THEM HEAR ABOUT IT! Everyone likes to hear when they have done a good job...and it really does make a HUGE difference.

Goofygirl07

Well With the occasional pushing crowds, dark places, or just general lost in the moment, a child could easily get separated from a parent, no matter how careful they are.

when my dad, my best friend, little brother and i went a long time ago, we thought we lost my little brother in the Mission Space exit area. We contacted a CM and unbeknowst to us he was hiding up in the play area for about 30 minutes. It was quite a scary experience though....

your ID tag sounds like a good idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom