Top Tips!!!

gboiler1

Does anyone know if you can kid swap for a single parent? There are a few rides that my 11 year old isn't up to, but I won't leave her alone. I'm guessing I should just take a pass this time, but wondered if anyone has a tip for this situation.

Thanks.

Rob562

Does anyone know if you can kid swap for a single parent? There are a few rides that my 11 year old isn't up to, but I won't leave her alone. I'm guessing I should just take a pass this time, but wondered if anyone has a tip for this situation.

Thanks.

If you're not comfortable leaving an 11 year old alone while you ride, there's no option for you. There's no way of just "leaving" children behind while you ride, and CMs aren't allowed to watch after them.

-Rob

gboiler1

Thanks Rob, that's what I thought too. She said, you can ride while I wait. I told her I wasn't going to leave her by herself! She's a "big" girl, but not that big.

disneynut4u

my number 1 tip for people is anti-perspirant roll-on for your feet. I couldn't find the bodyglide, so I used the anti-perspirant instead. It worked WONDERFULLY!!!! I even use it at work, since I'm on my feet all day. I make sure this is packed first thing!!!!

Geoff

Wear shorts with zip up pockets, and use them for your sunglasses etc. when going on a ride. I left my glasses on E:E and by some stretch of luck searching through disney's various boxes of lost and found I found mine.. but having seen the sheer volume of glasses accumulated in one day I wouldn't advise it! packs work too, but they look pretty whack

jeterdog04

lots of posts recommend packs. my tip is to go bag-less whenever possible since there is a huge mob trying to get through the "bag check" area (particularly in front of magic kingdom, the other parks aren't bad). my dad would kill me if i ever made him wait in that line because i brought a bag.

i'm always fine in flip flops and we log a lot of miles walking to mgm and epcot from the boardwalk all the time, but i could see how some people might prefer sneakers.

avoid the soarin line at all costs. that line is painful and always so ridiculously long. its a decent ride but i would say it is worth maybe a 20 minute wait tops. always fast pass it definitely.

don't bring young children on dinosaur. i am 21 and i'm pretty horrified of it haha. the last time i was there a mother brought 2 young children on it and they both left sobbing....made the people getting on after us pretty nervous.

go on the gorilla trails in animal kingdom!! right next to kilamanjaro safari! theres a baby gorilla and its the cutest thing i've ever seen. there is also a pretty awesome hippo that is extremely social that you can see on that trail.

eat at the espn club at the boardwalk. its great for adults and older kids who want to watch sports and little kids are fascinated by all the tvs all over the place, but save dessert for the bakery next door. the peanut butter and chocolate cake is amaaaaazing (i live for the boardwalk bakery).

if you stay at an epcot resort and hate buses like me you can avoid them for going everywhere except downtown disney, the waterparks, and animal kingdom (and wide world of sports). Just walk to mgm or epcot. My favorite way to get to magic kingdom is definitely to walk through epcot and hop on the monorail. the monorail is so much more pleasant than a bus plus there is really never any wait. you get to stroll through epcot and stop at the coke exhibit for a free drink on your way, and once you switch onto the magic kingdom monorail you get to see some of the prettiest hotels in disney world on your way to magic kingdom. epcot resort guests never really get to use the monorail and kids definitely enjoy it so consider it. the walk through epcot is really not bad at all, maybe 15-20 minutes? one word of warning though...don't try coming back through this route if magic kingdom closes late because i assume you can't get into the front entrance of epcot after it closes at 9. i could be wrong but i've been operating on that assumption.

also if you stay at an epcot resort and do ever have to take a bus, when coming back from a park there are often separate buses for the yacht and beach and the boardwalk, swan, and dolphin lately (i dont know why they split these up), but you should basically just get on whichever comes first since they are right next door.

SAV

If you go during the hot months, buy those fan water bottles at home for under $10 instead of $25 in the parks.

Also, if you can, freeze water bottles and bring them with you. They will defrost throughout the day and you have ice cold water ready to go. You can also get free ice water at the food counters.

At Epcot, get there at opening and have one person in your party go and get the Fast Passes for Soarin' and have the rest meet you over by the Living Seas with Nemo. It is basically a walk on ride at that point. Take some time to look at the pavilion. By the time you get out of the Seas, you can jump on Soarin'.

If you don't like to see people's toes, don't look down at my feet. I am a sandals wearer.

If you want to make your stroller stand out, go to Home Depot and get a number of those brightly colored Disney paint chips. Glue 2 together, punch a hole and tie colorful yarn to them. Then tie those danglie's to the handle of your stroller. Bring a couple extra with in case they get wet and start to peel apart.

My Tips:
-FLIPFLOPS- the last 2 trips, i wasted money buying "comfortable" sneakers and ended up wearing flip flops all week. I wore flip flops the entire 10 days we were there. I hate having hot feet, so my feet stayed cool and dried quickly when on wet rides (and after the occasional torrential downpours). I never got blisters, but by day 8, my arches hurt a bit, but I still wore them and dealt with it. Last year I had Nike flipflops-they had thicker straps and foam bottoms, and the previous year wore addias ones with the squishy bottoms. the Nike ones felt better than the squishy ones.

-BAGS- I spent months looking for the right pocketbook. i bought one, and ended up using a big beach bag i had brought instead. It was a canvas shoulder bag. We went in May and it poured EVERY day for at least an hour, so by bringing the bigger bag, i was able to fit 2 ponchos and water, etc in there. It fit comfortably on everyride although i don't go on coasters, so i am not sure that would've worked out. This time, my finace' suggested we get a messenger bag type thing that is more unisex so we can take turns carrying it.

-PONCHOS- If you don't bring them, buy them! they are SOO worth it. we bought them the 1st day, and not only did we use them in the rain, to fight our way through the parks, but we'd use it to wrap my big bag in when on splash mountain and the rapids. It worked great to keep all of our items dry especially since we always sat in the front in SM.

- HATS- I wore a baseball cap almost every day when i was there. I have sensitive eyes, and hate wearing sunglasses, so it worked great to shade my face and eyes in the sun. and kept rain off my face during storms. NAd I lotioned once a day and had no sunbrun or tan for that matter... :shrug:

-and I totally agree about staying at AK when it rains. THat was my most memorable disney experience. My fiance' and I got stuck in the caves where you can observe the gorillas during a big storm. We sat there for 45 mins watching this gorilla. He woke up during the storm, had no idea what was going on, and hung out by the glass making faces at us. It was my favorite part of the trip. We also did the safari when the rain slowed down and it was the only time we saw the cheetahs, which are my fiance' favorite animals. we also got the best pictures we ever had of the lions.

CP_alum08

Use 407-824-2222!! I cant stress enough how amazingly helpful the people at the other end of the line are. Its an all-purpose Disney switchboard basically, but the people who answer (and someone ALWAYS answers on the first or second ring) are exceptionally knowledgeable and most of the times I've called I dont even need them to transfer me.

Im not sure if this number is a 'Disney secret' or what, but I have never seen it advertised anywhere. I got the number when I did the college program and have used it on every trip since.

Rob562

Use 407-824-2222!! I cant stress enough how amazingly helpful the people at the other end of the line are. Its an all-purpose Disney switchboard basically, but the people who answer (and someone ALWAYS answers on the first or second ring) are exceptionally knowledgeable and most of the times I've called I dont even need them to transfer me.

Im not sure if this number is a 'Disney secret' or what, but I have never seen it advertised anywhere. I got the number when I did the college program and have used it on every trip since.

It's mentioned on AllEars a few times (which is how I learned about it), but it's not really something actively published by Disney.

It's a VERY all-purpose line.
-If you want to call someone's hotel room, they can connect you directly to the room without having to go through the resort. (I actually just used it yesterday to call my sister's hotel room when I knew her cell phone's battery was virtually dead and needed to charge)
-If you want to know what time the next Lion King show is at Animal Kingdom, they can tell you. (Heck, when the Adventurers Club was still open, I was able to call and find out what time the first Library show was that night...)

If you dial "0" on your Disney resort room phone, or one of the "house phones" around the Disney resorts (in the lobby, at the bus stops, by the pool, in the laundry room, etc) you'll be connected to this Main Switchboard. They can transfer you anywhere you need to call on Disney property, like to the AMC Theater, or even to Mears/Magical Express, and it's a free call.

-Rob

yensid67

I have one that I may have picked up from here (sorry - can't remember exactly, but If I did - thanks to the person who posted originally). If you have small children there is always a chance that they can get lost. With the occasional pushing crowds, dark places, or just general lost in the moment, a child could easily get separated from a parent, no matter how careful they are. We picked up a small pet ID tag for $6 at petsmart and had it engraved with "I'm Lost. Call Daddy and his phone number. Each day we pointed out to my son where he could find "nice workers" that he could show the tag to and they would call us. We put the tag on his shoe lace every day. We didn't ever have to utilize it, but we felt better having it there as you just never know. I did notice a few places in the parks where they had Disney ID tags and they were only $10, so not much more than you would pay at a pet store if you want a Disney shape or design.
:sohappy:Kristie...
VERY GOOD IDEA AND ADVICE FOR PARENTS!

Thanks for the post/advice!

P.S.
With all the good advice and tips, someone could compile these into a USEFUL book for Disney Travelers! :wave:

glee

The tennis shoe thing may work for you, but I know everyone in my family would be in agony in tennis shoes. Friends and relatives of mine who have been to WDW have suggested at various times: walking shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops (I can't image wearing flip flops for 12 hours, personally), crocs....it really depends on the person. I personally just tell people to wear their most comfortable shoes/sneakers.

Yeah tennis shoes are awful. I mean i love them....but its too how!

I woudnt advice Crocs just cause they look so awful!.......:hurl::hammer:

Hulacat

Breakfast

If you've got extra room (personally, I suggest you MAKE room) bring a box or two of cereal. If you are not a big breakfast person, you will not fare well with morning options. Your best bet is to bring some cereal and buy milk in the morning. Insta-breakfast for much cheaper.
I used ziploc snack size bags to measure out 1 cup servings of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, and bought a small milk in the resort's food curt at night. The Kashi doesn't burn up in my stomach as quickly as other cereals (no 10am starving "I need a cookie"time). With all the walking, I lost weight on our April Disneymoon.

bethymouse

Here are some tips that help me.

*Read the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World
*Make ADR's at your 90 day mark
*Research & research some more
*Take Batteries with you, they are 16.00 at the park
*Bring your own gum
*Be at the park about 30 minutes before it opens
*Always, always use fast pass & know that you can use them anytime AFTER your return time.
*Bring small ziplock bags with you, you may need one for your kids.
*Stop & smell the roses. If you rush through the parks, you will miss the beauty of Disney.

The most important for us and many others, be sure to take a break in the afternoons. :animwink:
Make reservations at your 180 day mark if at all possible to ensure the restaurant you want!:eek:

bethymouse

Take advantage of the early mornings- lots to see!:)
Make sure to take time to walk the Maharaja Jungle Trek @ AK- you may find surprise characters there!;)
Do the Epcot Character Spot. You can meet Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Donald all at once- but line can be long (wait up to 60 plus minutes).:eek:
Get your fast passes early so you can ride your favorites more than once and save some time.:D
Take time to just stop and smell the roses!:D

afar28

Tips

We just returned from a week at WDW, 12/25-1/1. Here are some things I learned.

1. Buy disposable rain ponchos at the dollar store (2/$1). They are small, pack well, and if you're lucky like we were, you won't need them!
2. If you are off property, or have a car, go to WalMart: pins to trade are $5; snacks to take in; T-shirts, etc are much cheaper.
3. Pack an insulated backpack (WalMart, $9) with cheese sticks, juice pouches, etc. Freeze a water bottle to use in it.
4. pouches for everyone. My kids carried their own camera, gum and DS games for the lines.
5. DS or gameboy system for line waiting. It saved hours of whining!
6. Rent a locker if you plan a long day. It is so worth it to store a sweatshirt, change of socks (a must) or backpacks when you don't need them.
7. Be very friendly to the CMs. They have lots of goodies: pins, stickers, surprise fast passes, etc.
8. Don't pass up a photo op, you may not be back by there.
9. Use the Photo Pass photogs, they will use your camera also.
10. Go to the Character Spot in EPCOT early, we got alot of autographs and pics.
11. Don't edit your photos on your digital camera until back at room, it eats batteries!

I have more, but later, if anyone is interested...
:sohappy:
Do the CM'S still hand out those transportation trading cards?

jlsHouston

Over your many vacations spent at WDW or even if you've been just a couple of times, what are the tips you would give someone who is about to go?

I suggest:

1. Remember to wear tennis shoes (ones that are worn in- not brand new)

2. Take advantage of Early Morning Hours in the Parks

3. If you have a big family like I do don't always try to stay together, but make sure you take 1 good group photo before you leave!

4. My family calls them "squished pennies" and there are machines all around the park that you can get different ones. They are great to collect.

5. Packs are also useful to me and carry my sunglasses, $, etc.

I have to totally laugh at number 5 tip!! Look at my pic and DD2 has her mickey mouse pack on that she picked up at the local walmart upon her arrival to Orlando at easter ! We teased her so much !

jlsHouston

please oh please do not wear " packs" (you yanks have no idea how hilarious that is to us Brits) -they should be banned. Shorts with lots of zipped pockets are far superior.
Pick up a show schedule early on and be sure to start hitting shows early (this only really applies to DHS) to avoid the all too common pitfall of getting toward the end of the day and missing the last available performance of one show because you were still stuck in another.
On that note, be sure to arrive 15-30 minutes early before most shows and factor in 5-10 minutes extra after the show is supposed to end to allow for exiting the theatre, often a logisitical nightmare, (particularly at LMA) and to re-group with your party. A half-hour show can easily consume an hour of your day!

listen the packs are just plain hilarious look at my pic and DD2 and her mickey mouse pack she acquired at easter. Me and DD1 would not stop teasing her !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom