Too much Maleficent in the parks?

mickey5888

Original Poster
I know it's a strange question, but I've always felt that Maleficent was one of the most hardcore villains of them all, having all the powers of hell and being designed off of Satan (see horns) and what-not. I'm not saying she'd frighten the children the most (though she probably would), but I've definitely noticed an increase of the more hard-core villains in the parks.

I was at first under the impression that the ones you saw milling about were mainly the more comical ones, such as Captain Hook, Queen of Hearts, the bad wolf, were more accessible, and it makes sense because they also tend to be the least powerful in the films. But now you can go get autographs from the Wicked Queen and Maleficent can be defeated by a crowd screaming "I believe in dreams!" I thought some of the scarier and more magically endowed :) villains would be saved for the more dramatic things like Fantasmic. Wouldn't they have better things to do than walk around and sign autographs? It's kind of disappointing.

I don't know, what do you think? And also, does anybody notice that there seems to be something going on between the Wicked Queen and Captain Hook? What's that all about? They're always together.....

It's funny but I never thought of that, but it does seem that they are always together......I wonder what Disney's policy is for interoffice relationships?

Anyhoo, I also never thought of the scarier villains walking around. I guess it would make sense to only have them out at certain times since Disney prides itself on theming and during Fantasmic it would theme correctly.

LudwigVonDrake

I have no problems with those characters walking around. There are people (kids and adults) who love those characters as much as the "friendly" ones.

drew81

The only time Maleficent is really out is during MNSSHP. I don't mind seeing the villains out in the parks. I wish they would have some of the other ones out, even if its only for the parties. I have really never seen anything with Hook and The Snow Queen to imply that there was something going on between them.

Cynderella

I dont even recall seeing many villians at all. I have to keep an eye out on my next trip.

Me Neither. The only ones I've ever seen were Capt. Hook (obviously) and the wicked queen. I saw Cruella out one time but her line closed when I got there :(. Other than that I dont think I've ever seen any one else. I wish I would see more! I think the face villians are awesome when they play the character so well. The Evil Queen is my new favorite so far because each time I've met her she's dead on.

mickey5888

Original Poster
Of all the oddest complaints Ive seen on here, this one ranks right up there with the oddest ones.

lol. It's not so much a complaint. Though I'm sure many people do like the villains, lightened up as they are. I just remember having the pants scared off of me by certain villains when I was a kid and when I show up, these villains are (of course) lightened up. There's less drama that way, unlike that of Fantasmic where villains are frightening, closer to their representation in the movies, and they save Maleficent for last. I dunno, is it too much to ask for some drama from Disney?

And on the Wicked Queen: I think they paired her with Captain Hook to make her seem less frightening (and easier to bring out for different shows and parades, etc without worrying about frightening the kids). Plus, I can imagine they'd be the odd couple of Disney that nobody would understand but happened. Like Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown (sorry I couldn't come up with a more recent example) A reality show anyone?

MKCP 1985

Captain Hook never brings the Wicked Queen to Caribbean Plaza, his daytime hangout at the Magic Kingdom. Mr. Smee is is tagalong there.

If he's spending time with the Wicked Queen outside of the parade float they share during SpectroMagic, it must be somewhere away from his "home," so Smee doesn't find out and get jealous. :zipit:

. . . and to answer the original question - NO! The more villains, the better. The villains usually exhibit more attitude and their photos are a welcome addition to the "happy happy wave and be goofy" good guy characters. :p

MKCP 1985

lol. It's not so much a complaint. Though I'm sure many people do like the villains, lightened up as they are. I just remember having the pants scared off of me by certain villains when I was a kid and when I show up, these villains are (of course) lightened up. There's less drama that way, unlike that of Fantasmic where villains are frightening, closer to their representation in the movies, and they save Maleficent for last. I dunno, is it too much to ask for some drama from Disney?
Even in the early 70s, the Sherriff of Nottingham would make park appearances and would knock hats off of kids and offer a handshake but then pull back and waggle his finger. So. . . to young kids these villains in their lightened up state have always been plenty scary and mean and still are. :D

DisneyGigi

I'd honestly rather see the villians more than the princesses. Villian meet and greets are a hoot.

Me too! The kids love the villians even DD, she isn't into the princesses and she loves the way the queen will allow no smiles! I have never seen Maleficant except in the shows and parades maybe we will get lucky next trip.
Jafar is great too, he is so huge and the way he stares you down is hilarious, he kissed my hand too which was really funny.

Anyway, I love the villians!

joanna71985

Unfortunately, for the most part, the villians are only out during mnsshp. That is a shame. I would love to be be able to see more villians.

KentB3

Me too! The kids love the villians even DD, she isn't into the princesses and she loves the way the queen will allow no smiles! I have never seen Maleficant except in the shows and parades maybe we will get lucky next trip.
Jafar is great too, he is so huge and the way he stares you down is hilarious, he kissed my hand too which was really funny.

Anyway, I love the villians!

I spotted Jafar at EPCOT last November outside the Morocco pavillion by the lagoon. The line for him was HUGE, without a doubt the longest line of guests I have ever seen for ANY character! So there is definitely a demand for villian meets and greets out there! :animwink:

joanna71985

The villians I consistently see out are Hook/Smee (though Smee is more of a sidekick) and then once in awhile are Jafar and Queen of Hearts. I wish Maleficent, Snow Queen and others are out more.

Ellura

I never got to go to the villians character meal at GF. Why did they permanently discontinue it? I would imagine that it would be a big sell around Halloween.

I heard it was because too many children were frightened of the characters. It was my favorite meal by far.

DisneyGigi

I spotted Jafar at EPCOT last November outside the Morocco pavillion by the lagoon. The line for him was HUGE, without a doubt the longest line of guests I have ever seen for ANY character! So there is definitely a demand for villian meets and greets out there! :animwink:

When we saw him it was at Disney-MGM at the hat in September and I just loved him! We lucked out because we were walking by right as he came out, so we were like 2nd in line. It was huge too by the time people were noticing though.
We have seen the Queen twice and she was the same way. (Long lines)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom