Tomorrowland's Future

George Lucas on a Bench

wrecking-ball.jpg

Rich T

Keep Autopia and the lagoon and then nuke everything else from orbit.
Space Mountain says, "huh?" :) Keep Space Mtn., Star Tours and the Lagoon. Autopia can go; It takes up an entire new land's worth of space. Replace it with a new truly futuristic car ride on an elevated path that winds through Tomorrowland like Rocket Rods was supposed to do. And only build the Tron coaster if Disney somehow manages to make a Tron film that doesn't suck eight ways to Christmas.

Figments Friend

I have hope that once Disney is finished with the Star Wars Experience expansion project their attention will then shift over to the opposite side of the Park.
Namely, focus will be placed on refreshing Tomorrrowland.
It's been a long time coming...with many years of alternative proposed plans being talked about, then ignored by management, then put on hold, then new plans being proposed...add to infinity.
The time has come for a complete redo.

Keep elements that 'work' or can be plussed up in a tasteful, unique way.
Bring back a little of the futurism of yore.
Make Tomorrowland live up to that statement on the bronze plaque placed near the entrance to the land.

It's time.
It's been time..and gone ...again.

-

George Lucas on a Bench

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'm not holding out much hope. I mean, just look at what they're doing with the latest Tomorrowland in Shanghai. Lilo and Stitch, Star Wars Launch Bay, Buzz Lightyear for the umpteenth time and a spinning jet pack ride they didn't even theme to The Rocketeer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Carousel Theater, Mission to Bad Pizza, Magic Movie Trailer Theater, Space Mountain concourse (as much as I enjoy its 80s-ness and vintage EPCOT Center tunes playing on the muzak) and abandoned Starcade should be demolished and redeveloped. You can reroute the Space Mountain queue. That frees up what is to me a massive waste of space with nothing worthwhile.

I think that, in the past, the land was visually pleasing. 1967 Tomorrowland was gorgeous. But the old architecture as well as the remnants of defunct attractions that have been carried over, re-purposed and cluttered since the 90s now look atrocious. It's ugly. It isn't futuristic. It's one massive panic attack-inducing bottleneck. There's no compelling reason for me to go in there.

Rich T

I will never understand people's attachment to the Autopia.
It's a shared cultural childhood rite-of-passage, and, ironically, one of the last of its kind now that most other parks have removed their Autopia ripoffs. BUT.. It's time for it to be replaced. It's just a ridiculous amount of overkill for a mini car ride. So much space for such a minor payoff... I hate to say "Walt would have replaced it decades ago"...but... yeah.

mickEblu

It's a shared cultural childhood rite-of-passage, and, ironically, one of the last of its kind now that most other parks have removed their Autopia ripoffs. BUT.. It's time for it to be replaced. It's just a ridiculous amount of overkill for a mini car ride. So much space for such a minor payoff... I hate to say "Walt would have replaced it decades ago"...but... yeah.

And might I add what I think is the kicker - it does not provide much to the park atmosphere in the way that the ROA does to justify its existence. Because the same argument could be made about the ROA as far as it taking too much room for the "experience" it provides.

I will say that Autopia does have a certain old school charm about it as your driving through all the trees. Just not enough to justify the amount of space it takes up. To be fair I don't really like the idea of 14 acres for Star Wars either but I do think that the attractions will most likely be cutting edge and not an underwhelming and outdated experience. With that said, the very reason I want it gone is the same reason I "like" the ride. It's a throwback to an older era that's all but gone. Where space wasn't an issue and things were simple ( or at least seem like they were) kind of like Autopia is. That fact that it's still there makes absolutely no sense and how it's survived the last 60 years in TOMORROWLAND is crazy - and that's why a part of me roots for it. Like the way I would for an old boxer at his last fight on his way out against the young buck in his prime. You know his chances are slim to none but you respect him for the time he's put in and for how he's still standing.

Anyway enough with my weird metaphor ....My only concern is what would they replace it with? Another cartoon IP for Tomorrowland? No thanks. Tron? Yes please.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I would like to see the Starcade turned into a preshow for Space Mountain. They could use some of the special effects from Paris's Armageddon show to make it like the space station is suffering damage from asteroids. We need to get into our pod ships to blast the asteroids before they can do more damage to Space Station 77.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom