News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

I was told by a few of the train engineers at Main Street that all the ties are being replaced with new concrete ties. Since the train is being moved, the work from Main Street, through Frontierland, and onto Fantasyland, must be completed. When I was there in November, the train had been stranded in the Main Street station as portions had not been finished. The slight grade between Fantasyland and Main Street was also supposed to be addressed during this downtime. If it hasn't happened yet, it will probably be worked on when the rail bed and ties are reinstalled through the TRON site.

Concrete ties would be a very odd choice for this railroad, might even be the first narrow gauge railroad to ever get them. While anything is possible, I would doubt it.

How do you address a grade? It was already pretty gradual.. you still have to get from fantasyland up to Main Street!

Captain Barbossa

It’s a shame they had to put the fence up and ruin what would be a nice photo op. In California during the refurb. they let guests sit in the engineers seat, and there was no fence but rather a photo pass photographer ready to take photos. They even had a stuffed Mickey of the same vintage that Walt was holding in the photo of him in the Disneyland Railroad locomotive.... was a really cool special opportunity.
Just an observation/my opinion, but WDWRR seems to be more concerned about guest safety than DLRR. But yes, the photo op at New Orleans Square was very cool.

raymusiccity

So the speedway is ridiculously short now. My son drove it last week and was done in like 4 mins. What a waste of space now.
Seems like there are a lot of variables. Does anyone actually know how long it took to drive the old layout, doing the same 'speed',,,, ? :)

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Concrete ties would be a very odd choice for this railroad, might even be the first narrow gauge railroad to ever get them. While anything is possible, I would doubt it.

How do you address a grade? It was already pretty gradual.. you still have to get from fantasyland up to Main Street!
From what I was told, behind the Carousel of Progress going into Main Street, the elevation of the track bed increased rather quickly. When the retention pond was reworked in that area, the track bed was evened out over a longer stretch. I think the area from the Space Mountain tunnel to CoP hadn't been touched yet. These were tidbits of info I got from both an engineer at the Main Street station, as well as the engineers on the Steam Train tour months earlier. They mentioned the problems sometimes encountered with the section of track behind Tomorrowland. I've taking the tour three times, and each time, that section of track was mentioned when showing us the devise (a sand dome) on the locomotive that can spread sand on the track for more traction.
As far as the concrete ties, the engineer pointed out the ties leading out of Main Street towards Frontierland. They had all been replaced. From my point of view, at a distance, they looked like traditional ties to me, but I was assured they were made from concrete and they would require less maintenance. I'm just relying on what I was told and had to reason to question the engineers truthfulness.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

From what I was told, behind the Carousel of Progress going into Main Street, the elevation of the track bed increased rather quickly. When the retention pond was reworked in that area, the track bed was evened out over a longer stretch. I think the area from the Space Mountain tunnel to CoP hadn't been touched yet. These were tidbits of info I got from both an engineer at the Main Street station, as well as the engineers on the Steam Train tour months earlier. They mentioned the problems sometimes encountered with the section of track behind Tomorrowland. I've taking the tour three times, and each time, that section of track was mentioned when showing us the devise (a sand dome) on the locomotive that can spread sand on the track for more traction.
As far as the concrete ties, the engineer pointed out the ties leading out of Main Street towards Frontierland. They had all been replaced. From where I could see, they looked like traditional ties to me, but I was assured they were made from concrete. I'm just relying on what I was told and had to reason to question the engineers truthfulness.

There is certainly a grade between fantasyland and Main Street (one of the reasons I love watching trains along the pathway...) but it seemed pretty gradual already. But could be there was a particular spot that was a bit more extreme.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
There is certainly a grade between fantasyland and Main Street (one of the reasons I love watching trains along the pathway...) but it seemed pretty gradual already. But could be there was a particular spot that was a bit more extreme.
I thought it was pretty gradual too, but apparently it was a problem. Especially since there's a fine line between the max speed the engineers are allowed to operate along the line and the speed required to make it up the grade with a full load of passengers. Although the sand was always available, I guess it's pretty bad for the tracks.

DisAl

Are you sure the new ties are concrete? The attached photo I made last March at Main Street Station sure looked like the new composite plastic material rather than concrete to me. They are supposed to be even better than the concrete ties.
DSCN5550.JPG

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Are you sure the new ties are concrete? The attached photo I made last March at Main Street Station sure looked like the new composite plastic material rather than concrete to me. They are supposed to be even better than the concrete ties.
View attachment 446270
Only going by what I was told, but you're right, those don't look like concrete to me.

DisAl

I thought it was pretty gradual too, but apparently it was a problem. Especially since there's a fine line between the max speed the engineers are allowed to operate along the line and the speed required to make it up the grade with a full load of passengers. Although the sand was always available, I guess it's pretty bad for the tracks.
Funny thing about having to use sand sometimes is that I have actually seen them greasing the inside surface of the left rail. Because all of the turns are to the right the inside of the left rail gets more wear along with the left wheels of the locomotives, so they apply grease to the inside of the rail to reduce wear.

roj2323

View attachment 446270
That's Recycled plastic. I genuinely wonder how long that will hold up. In particular I don't see how spikes or bolts would hold on long term particularly with the heat cycle of the Florida summers.

TrainsOfDisney

That's Recycled plastic. I genuinely wonder how long that will hold up. In particular I don't see how spikes or bolts would hold on long term particularly with the heat cycle of the Florida summers.

It’s supposed to last longer than wood ties, close to concrete ties which is maybe what the cm’s were talking about?

Of course... it’s somewhat new so the question still is... how will it actually hold up.... only time will tell. But wdw should be fine, Mainline Railroads are trying them out as well.

roj2323

It’s supposed to last longer than wood ties, close to concrete ties which is maybe what the cm’s were talking about?

Of course... it’s somewhat new so the question still is... how will it actually hold up.... only time will tell. But wdw should be fine, Mainline Railroads are trying them out as well.

If they mount the track Euro style by bolting the tie plates to the ties and then using spring clips to secure the track it might work well but that's an expensive solution compared to spikes

DisAl

If they mount the track Euro style by bolting the tie plates to the ties and then using spring clips to secure the track it might work well but that's an expensive solution compared to spikes
I don't think spikes would work very well with concrete ties......

DisAl

From what I have read the expected life of a wood tie is 20 years, concrete 50 years, plastic 50 years. Also the plastic ties are supposed to give a quieter ride than the concrete ties. If they could put in ribbon rails too it would give a smooth as silk ride with half the noise.

TrainsOfDisney

From what I have read the expected life of a wood tie is 20 years, concrete 50 years, plastic 50 years. Also the plastic ties are supposed to give a quieter ride than the concrete ties. If they could put in ribbon rails too it would give a smooth as silk ride with half the noise.

Not sure if you’re joking or not... 10 mph is hardly what you needed welded rail for! Plus the clickety clack is part of the charm in this case.

I’m guessing the plastic ties are for the environmentality stuff.... which is fine. They are typically made with recycled plastic. Will be interesting to see how they actually hold up for railroads.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel bad because I've known the answer to this question for about a year, but I've enjoyed all the back and forth arguing, so that's why I've kept my mouth shut :hilarious:, but the new ties are a type of synthetic rubber. Apparently, they're supposed to last longer than traditional wooden ties.

What other synthetic rubber insider information are you holding out on??!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom