News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

I feel bad because I've known the answer to this question for about a year, but I've enjoyed all the back and forth arguing, so that's why I've kept my mouth shut :hilarious:, but the new ties are a type of synthetic rubber. Apparently, they're supposed to last longer than traditional wooden ties.

I’m sure they are plastic. And yes they do have a much longer life than wood. Also better for the environment not just because they use recycled plastic but they are not treated with chemicals like the wood ties.

Concrete ties themselves last longer than wood but are harder on the roadbed. We will see how plastic ties do both here at wdw and also on Mainline railroads.

Captain Barbossa

I’m sure they are plastic. And yes they do have a much longer life than wood. Also better for the environment not just because they use recycled plastic but they are not treated with chemicals like the wood ties.

Concrete ties themselves last longer than wood but are harder on the roadbed. We will see how plastic ties do both here at wdw and also on Mainline railroads.
Nah, they’re rubber.

For those who are interested, here’s a link to the website of a company that manufacturers rubber ties out of recycled materials. Pretty interesting.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, February 5, 2020. Here is a photo of the new railroad ties, with the brand visible.

IMG_2773.JPG

A view of the new track installed heading out of the Main Street station. Note the new conduit line inside the tracks.

IMG_2774.JPG

DisAl

Guys, my brain is fried, and I’ve been barely functioning off of 6hrs of sleep for the past 48hrs. Maybe cut me a little bit of slack? :hilarious:
No. NO SLACK! That causes derailments! ;)
Thanks for the link to the mfg. of the ties WDW is using. As you said, very interesting. I saw a segment on the "How It's Made" show some time back about the process for the composite ties and their benefits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom