Tomorrowland new entrance

SuddenStorm

So are you going to start vloggin or what? The world needs another DL vlogger!!

I should start photographing and documenting day to day changes at the park... Splash is inconsistent from day to day for example.

But me vlogging? Yikes, I wouldn't wish that on the world.

That said, I'm there frequently enough I should start updating the Merch alert thread whenever a new piece comes out at Disneyana.

And if the forum ever needs documentation of something obscure, I'll be the first one there with my trusty cell phone camera.

mickEblu

I should start photographing and documenting day to day changes at the park... Splash is inconsistent from day to day for example.

But me vlogging? Yikes, I wouldn't wish that on the world.

That said, I'm there frequently enough I should start updating the Merch alert thread whenever a new piece comes out at Disneyana.

And if the forum ever needs documentation of something obscure, I'll be the first one there with my trusty cell phone camera.

Sounds good to me!

mickEblu

I would also say Main Street is more fitting, but I hadn't thought of that. That would be a pleasant surprise.

Hopefully they don't go neutral. lol. If it was just a simple generic planter would that indicate anything to you either way? I would lean toward Main Street especially if the fencing is consistent but who knows

Figments Friend

Some of them not all.
So i know your a huge Baxter fan as I.
Well, Im not as big a fan as you, but Im not sure anyone is.
What are your honest thoughts on the astro orbitor in the hub and those rocks?
I think its probably the worst thing he did at DL on an otherwise pretty impressive resume.

There is a lot I could say to answer.

The sculpted 'planetary rocks' at the entrance to Disneyland's Tomorrowland never bothered me as much as they seem to irritate others.
I actually like the slightly irredescent 'otherworldly' paint scheme, and they remind me of Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris.
They 'work' for me in combination with the Astro Orbitor as a unit to provide a unusual 'entrance gateway' for the land.
That was the idea behind their placement there, just as the other 'lands' have their gateway iconic structures.

The Astro Orbitor I like quite a bit, but liked it better when the planets moved.
It's a fantastic looking kinetic sculpture...and I just always liked the design and 'look" of it.

Having said all that, do I agree with their placement right there at the entranceway to the land?
Not fully.
While I completely understand the reason why they were placed there, considering how much Tomorowland has been changed over the last decade I think it's a good time for a rethink.
Now I realize the mechanics of the Orbitor would never allow for it to perch above Tomorowland as the AstroJets once did, but if the area was redesigned today my vote would go for placing it, and the planetary rocks, in the center of that plaza area surrounded by Space Mountain, the Pizza Port, and the PeopleMover station.
Seems a good spot, and would still be visible ( at a distance ) while approaching the land.
The PeopleMover tracks however would have to be removed for that sightline to be possible.

It does bother me at times that Park fans constantly 'blame' Tony for what happened to Tomorrowland.
People seem to forget that his version of the land was something else entirely, and what the Park ended up with was more the result of budget cuts by the top brass, last minute sponsorship withdrawals, and inter-company politics.
Yes, there were mistakes made but it shouldn't fall on the shoulders of just him.
Others above him were controlling the situation and sending it in a direction that was not originally intended.
So I find it unfortunate and a bit unfair to lay the spoils of that project solely at his doorstep.

And speaking of that doorstep ....

Fun fact for fellow uber-fans to geek out about, if you so choose -
I once saw Tony's own hand crafted models of those famous Tomorrowland 'planetary rocks'.
So when I would see them in the Park, I of course would be reminded of that moment.
:)

-

mickEblu

There is a lot I could say to answer.

The sculpted 'planetary rocks' at the entrance to Disneyland's Tomorrowland never bothered me as much as they seem to irritate others.
I actually like the slightly irredescent 'otherworldly' paint scheme, and they remind me of Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris.
They 'work' for me in combination with the Astro Orbitor as a unit to provide a unusual 'entrance gateway' for the land.
That was the idea behind their placement there, just as the other 'lands' have their gateway iconic structures.

The Astro Orbitor I like quite a bit, but liked it better when the planets moved.
It's a fantastic looking kinetic sculpture...and I just always liked the design and 'look" of it.

Having said all that, do I agree with their placement right there at the entranceway to the land?
Not fully.
While I completely understand the reason why they were placed there, considering how much Tomorowland has been changed over the last decade I think it's a good time for a rethink.
Now I realize the mechanics of the Orbitor would never allow for it to perch above Tomorowland as the AstroJets once did, but if the area was redesigned today my vote would go for placing it, and the planetary rocks, in the center of that plaza area surrounded by Space Mountain, the Pizza Port, and the PeopleMover station.
Seems a good spot, and would still be visible ( at a distance ) while approaching the land.
The PeopleMover tracks however would have to be removed for that sightline to be possible.

It does bother me at times that Park fans constantly 'blame' Tony for what happened to Tomorrowland.
People seem to forget that his version of the land was something else entirely, and what the Park ended up with was more the result of budget cuts by the top brass, last minute sponsorship withdrawals, and inter-company politics.
Yes, there were mistakes made but it shouldn't fall on the shoulders of just him.
Others above him were controlling the situation and sending it in a direction that was not originally intended.
So I find it unfortunate and a bit unfair to lay the spoils of that project solely at his doorstep.

And speaking of that doorstep ....

Fun fact for fellow uber-fans to geek out about, if you so choose -
I once saw Tony's own hand crafted models of those famous Tomorrowland 'planetary rocks'.
So when I would see them in the Park, I of course would be reminded of that moment.
:)

-

Nice post. Yeah I don’t really blame for the land so much as the decision to put the orbitor and the rocks in the hub. I’m assuming that was his decision or at the least he had the power to veto. Anyway, he’s still the greatest modern imagineer and the only one I’d put up there with those Old WED guys.

mickEblu

The CM at RSR was being a real meanie on Sunday. My sons hair was touching the height measurement thing (why cannot find the word for this?) and he wouldn’t let us on. He was wearing some very flat shoes too. It’s likd like dude, I could put him in pair of Jordan’s and he’d be tall enough. Needless to say, next trip is a big one. My son will be wearing the right shoes and we can finally ride RSR together. Unfortunately, it’s about a year after his Cars phase.

What bugged me was he said my son was on his tippy toes twice when he was clearly flat in the ground. Not sure what that was about.

Ismael Flores

So are you going to start vloggin or what? The world needs another DL vlogger!!

when i was watching the apple event and they showed the dual video camera function first thing i thought was Bloggers and youtubers. .using front and back camera at same time
Careful. I may start vlogging.

Just walking around the park giving my commentary....

when they showed the dual camera use for video on apple event, only thing icould think was Great now we will have more you tube videos with the person superimposed at corner yapping while taking video

Figments Friend

Nice post. Yeah I don’t really blame for the land so much as the decision to put the orbitor and the rocks in the hub. I’m assuming that was his decision or at the least he had the power to veto. Anyway, he’s still the greatest modern imagineer and the only one I’d put up there with those Old WED guys.

I'm not 100% certain, but I beleive it was either his idea or an idea he agreed with to place the sculpted 'planetary' rocks and the Astro Orbitor at the entrance.
I have heard him several times mention the reason for their placement, which I mentioned in my prior post being they were to be the iconic 'gateway' to the land.
Much like Adventureland has its Polynesian themed gateway, Frontierland has its wooden fort, and Fantasyland has its famous Castle.
That was the thinking at least.

The Orbitor had to go somewhere ground level due to the mechanics underneath it.
There was just no way it could be adapted to be placed high above as the old AstroJets were.
I'd love to see them try to create a new version to mount up there on the old pedestal, but with today's strict coding and needing ramp ways / handicapped access to the upper platform it would probably be a nightmare to sort out.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom