Tomorrowland Murals painted black?

TP2000

The Tomorrowland murals are a great reflection of how Disney has come to disregard themed entertainment. Mary Blair’s murals were images of optimism fitting for a real place, an expression of meaning. The replacements try to force significance by repeating other forms as though self reference will somehow create meaning and purpose.

You and I often don't quite agree, but on this one we are in lockstep! :)

Stevek

Apparently they weren’t completely removed per imagineer Tom Morris.

Attachments

• B62892F3-A794-4993-B51C-258634996CF5.jpeg
    B62892F3-A794-4993-B51C-258634996CF5.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 443

FerretAfros

That’s the north mural during the construction of Tomorrowland 98. The south mural is the one that was removed in the video posted earlier for Star Tours.
That's actually the south mural. I suspect that most/all of the lower portion was removed to create the ground-level openings for the overflow queue and Mickey's Star Trader entrance, but much of the upper portion remains in place behind the Star Tours mural. In all likelihood, this wasn't done for preservation but for simple cost savings; why remove the tiles if they're not in the way?

mural-destruction.jpg

8-1969_TileMural.jpg

maryblair_startours2006ww.jpg

Rumor has it that the removed tiles were used in the mosaic walls for Pizzeria Bella Notte at DLP. On its surface the claim seems a little suspicious and nonsensical, but the outdoor patio walls do seem to have a similar color scheme so I guess it's plausible
DhvdPjZ.jpg

I haven't been able to find any images of the mural panels being installed on the north building during TL98 construction, to see how they're attached. The best I can find are ones that show the graphics being applied after they're in place. There are some online sources that claim that the tile mural was "preserved" in place, but I suspect the attachment is similar to the south side, with many tiles damaged/removed to attach the brackets.
new_mural.jpg

Kman101

The versions of Buzz confuse me, they are all slightly different right? Apart from Shanghai - that I can follow. I just know one was particularly worse than the lot except I’m never sure which resort it was.

MK's is by far the worst Buzz it seems. I haven't been on any others but even videos show me how much better the others are! It's bizarre how bad MK's is compared to the others.

Stevek

That's actually the south mural. I suspect that most/all of the lower portion was removed to create the ground-level openings for the overflow queue and Mickey's Star Trader entrance, but much of the upper portion remains in place behind the Star Tours mural. In all likelihood, this wasn't done for preservation but for simple cost savings; why remove the tiles if they're not in the way?

mural-destruction.jpg

8-1969_TileMural.jpg

maryblair_startours2006ww.jpg

Rumor has it that the removed tiles were used in the mosaic walls for Pizzeria Bella Notte at DLP. On its surface the claim seems a little suspicious and nonsensical, but the outdoor patio walls do seem to have a similar color scheme so I guess it's plausible
DhvdPjZ.jpg

I haven't been able to find any images of the mural panels being installed on the north building during TL98 construction, to see how they're attached. The best I can find are ones that show the graphics being applied after they're in place. There are some online sources that claim that the tile mural was "preserved" in place, but I suspect the attachment is similar to the south side, with many tiles damaged/removed to attach the brackets.
new_mural.jpg
Tom Morris stated that they had planned "to preserve it and donate it to a children's hospital adding to the high cost was the risk that the whole thing could fall apart into a dust pile."

George Lucas on a Bench

Just speculation on my part, but it seems to me Space Ranger Spin was a rushed overlay of Take Flight to promote Toy Story 2. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is the original Incredicoaster.

The Magic Kingdom's version was an overlay, but oddly the subsequent versions were all based on that overlay. It's like if they started building Incredicoasters at other Disney parks.

That’s the north mural during the construction of Tomorrowland 98. The south mural is the one that was removed in the video posted earlier for Star Tours.

By removed, you mean crudely smashed apart by a Marlboro man precariously perched on scaffolding in plain view of guests.

CHOX

The Magic Kingdom's version was an overlay, but oddly the subsequent versions were all based on that overlay. It's like if they started building Incredicoasters at other Disney parks.

By removed, you mean crudely smashed apart by a Marlboro man precariously perched on scaffolding in plain view of guests.

If memory serves me correctly, wasn’t the Marlboro Man shirtless while doing the smashing? :cool:

SuddenStorm

I don't think you've been to Six Flags recently.

You're joking, right?

I probably went to Six Flags 50 times from 2008-2014. Before I got a job there for two years from 14-15. I've been a passholder since I left (or a "member" I guess is what it is now)- and have probably gone 20 times in the last three years- the most recent time being a week and a half ago.

Anyone who says seriously that Tomorrowland (or Pixar Pier) is "Six Flags quality" must see Six Flags very different then I do- cause even at their worst, Disney is still far better thematically then anything Six Flags has done (with the possible exception of the Justice League Ride).

The kitschy 90s Pirates theming of "Pirates Cove" (which still has the signs up, despite not being an official park land for a good 20+ years) mashed up with Goliath.

The fact that "Colossus County Fair" existed for 3 years after Colossus was integrated into a halfhearted attempt at "Steampunk" theming (an area that's aged poorly since it opened in '15- definitely needs a good dusting and paint job).

The Baja Ridge area that features a "Chop Six" - Six Flags take on Oriental themed cuisine- despite there being a Mexican themed restaurant located in Cyclone Bay, and an Asian themed land elsewhere in the park that would be far more thematically appropriate.

Samurai Summit- which features a horrifically maintained station for Ninja, multiple abandoned restaurants, an abandoned sky tower, and a Superman ride that in no way fits in with the theme.

Cyclone Bay- named for a coaster that was demolished over a decade ago (though it looks like they might be fixing this area up). That features the remains of two former attractions, and a poor retheme of a ride that used to be Terminator themed before Six Flags decided they didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

Not to mention the horrifically poor maintenance and cleaning seen throughout the park. The place is dirty.

Phroobar

You're joking, right?

I probably went to Six Flags 50 times from 2008-2014. Before I got a job there for two years from 14-15. I've been a passholder since I left (or a "member" I guess is what it is now)- and have probably gone 20 times in the last three years- the most recent time being a week and a half ago.

Anyone who says seriously that Tomorrowland (or Pixar Pier) is "Six Flags quality" must see Six Flags very different then I do- cause even at their worst, Disney is still far better thematically then anything Six Flags has done (with the possible exception of the Justice League Ride).

The kitschy 90s Pirates theming of "Pirates Cove" (which still has the signs up, despite not being an official park land for a good 20+ years) mashed up with Goliath.

The fact that "Colossus County Fair" existed for 3 years after Colossus was integrated into a halfhearted attempt at "Steampunk" theming (an area that's aged poorly since it opened in '15- definitely needs a good dusting and paint job).

The Baja Ridge area that features a "Chop Six" - Six Flags take on Oriental themed cuisine- despite there being a Mexican themed restaurant located in Cyclone Bay, and an Asian themed land elsewhere in the park that would be far more thematically appropriate.

Samurai Summit- which features a horrifically maintained station for Ninja, multiple abandoned restaurants, an abandoned sky tower, and a Superman ride that in no way fits in with the theme.

Cyclone Bay- named for a coaster that was demolished over a decade ago (though it looks like they might be fixing this area up). That features the remains of two former attractions, and a poor retheme of a ride that used to be Terminator themed before Six Flags decided they didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

Not to mention the horrifically poor maintenance and cleaning seen throughout the park. The place is dirty.
Except you are leaving out everything they have done in the past three years. Twisted Collosus was built and the surrounding area was given a big face lift. Sure it's not NOS but Six Flags isn't Disney. Full Throttle updated the old log ride area with a dance party area that is just as good as any one Disney did at DCA. They also built the Justice League shooter that has actual AA figures that move far more than Pooh. It's a really good shooter and much better than either Buzz or TSM. The surrounding area was updated with a new bar and Metropolis theme. The Colosssus county fair games have been refreshed along with rebuilt bumper cars with lighting effects. These are real bumper cars that move way faster than Tuck n Roll or even the ones at Knotts. You can actualy get hurt bumping into someone. Crazanity was added to remove the old monorail station. Cyclone Bay as been completely demolished in preparation for Adrenaline Alley. Apocalypse is being rethemed for the area and I hear Jet Stream will be refreshed. They are basically working they way around the park. Hopefully Samurai Summit is next. I would love to see them reopen the stake restaurant and maybe put in a dark ride up there. The park is actually very clean as far as trash goes and I'm seeing a lot more families. Everything they have done has been to refresh the park. You can't expect high Disney quality in theming but they are aiming for higher than industry standard. I think their recent projects have been higher quality than GOTG:MB or Pixar Pier. However they just don't have the money for total SWL immersion. They also don't charge as much as Disney and their Flash Pass actually works without shutting down the stand by line. I think it is great they are working on improving the park.

Castle Cake Apologist

You're joking, right?

I believe the thought is more that Disney is taking a Six Flags "approach" to design with many of their recent projects, not that Disney's work literally mirrors a Six Flags attraction.
Yes, the budgets are obviously higher at Disney, and things are cleaner, but the thought process behind adding static figures and oversized character statues in lieu of actual placemaking and thematic storytelling is very Six Flags. As is naming a completely unrelated roller coaster after a superhero and throwing decor on it to call it "themed."

I'd say a majority of Pixar Pier is a great example of this, as are portions of TSL at DHS. See also: All Star Resorts.

Nland316

I think an updated Mary Blair-esque mural would actually work well in a new Tomorrowland. If they designed it with a more cubistic and geometric approach it can even blend into some new architecture of the same nature. It would even be able to serve as a pretty neat and seamless transition towards Small World/Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom