News Tomorrowland love

Creathir

And some blue rocks. And stick lights. Peoplemover and sign supports. And gaudy half paint jobs.

And the CoP sign. The latter is the only thing that showed promise.
So is WDI to blame, or management yet again?

This is a different park from the disaster formerly known as EPCOT, so presumably different management. Or are the decisions coming from even higher up the food chain?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
So is WDI to blame, or management yet again?

This is a different park from the disaster formerly known as EPCOT, so presumably different management. Or are the decisions coming from even higher up the food chain?
This one has me beat. It has to be local to be so poorly executed. No offence but it seems to be running on a drip feed budget that is not from Glendale.

Even so, who approved it then?

Captain Barbossa

Send the mob after me if you’d like, but I was never crazy about the cog pavement in Tomorrowland. Always thought that it’d be better over in the central area of Future World, especially around Mouse Gear. Just my opinion.

Ok, y’all can go rally the townspeople together and grab some pitchforks. I know y’all want to. ;)

Bocabear

Back in the 70s there were water features everywhere in the Magic Kingdom... It was a beautiful constant in the park... Little fountains tucked here and there... Running streams etc. Some remain, but most are gone or turned into planters. It would be nice to see more of that return...

Heppenheimer

Back in the 70s there were water features everywhere in the Magic Kingdom... It was a beautiful constant in the park... Little fountains tucked here and there... Running streams etc. Some remain, but most are gone or turned into planters. It would be nice to see more of that return...
I'm not sure if the same math applies to Disney World, but remember all the water fountains you would see in malls in the 70s and 80s? They started disappearing in the 90s once the owners realized they could make more money putting vendors in that space.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the water structures at the Magic Kingdom disappeared in favor of retail carts... although I have no idea if this is actually the case.

mergatroid

Floor looks quite similar to opening day, just a simple design

spa114653LARGE.jpg

Splashin' Ryan

I wouldn't mind if they were doing the Tomorrowland restoration slowly either *IF* it was actually being done well. It hasn't. Everything has been done halfway defeating the ultimate purpose of the enhancements.

Spaceships were removed along the main walkway, but the spaceships to the left of the entrance are all still there.
The upper PMover supports were restored but the ones close to the ground remain visibly steampunk just white now.
The outside of Cosmic Rays was expanded and updated but the interior -flooring aside- looks aged.
Star Traders was refreshed but the multi-color space-age lights in the middle remain.
The Outside of COP was refreshed but the inside remains dated.
The bolts on the windows of LF were cut off but the actual steampunk frame remained as if taking them off would solve the issue :rolleyes:

The list goes on and on. Nothing has been fully finished, they just bounce around the land putting half effort into each project.
I'm not bashing the Imagineers or workers on this though, they're constrained by an excruciatingly small budget for such an important land.

Unless something major happens, Tron will not fit at all into the land, and the land will feel even more outdated and unorganized than it currently does.

GrumpyDude

I'm not sure if the same math applies to Disney World, but remember all the water fountains you would see in malls in the 70s and 80s? They started disappearing in the 90s once the owners realized they could make more money putting vendors in that space.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the water structures at the Magic Kingdom disappeared in favor of retail carts... although I have no idea if this is actually the case.
Maybe there will be carts that sell little helicopters or calendars.

tpoly88

I believe the Iger/Chapek regime simply doesn't like Tomorrowland. It's too Walt-y. I bet if they could turn it into something more IP, like Pixar Pier, without too much backlash or expense they would.
i hope they dont but the area just looks beat up and neglected. they could do so much more with the area. reminds me of an old amusment park i used to go to in NJ called Bertans island on lake hopatcong. place got old.

trainplane3

If ours is held up with simple supports, why is the Disney Land version so problematical?
The fact that RR slammed into corners going over speeds their PM would normally do. You do that enough to any kind of structure (let alone one built in the 60s) not designed for it, it'll wear down quite quickly. Lateral forces can wreck things not made for them.

Ours could potentially handle it better since for parts of the layout there are two wide supports instead of a single support. But that's only part of the layout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom