News Tomorrowland love

Magic Feather

I'm disappointed in the update Tomorrowland has gotten. It was meant to be a throwback to the original Tomorrowland of 1971, but instead, it's a mess.

If they wanted to incorporate Tron into the theme of the land, they could have easily been inspired by the digital world. Gears and mechanics of the 1930s/1940s retro-future could have made way for a computer/internet cityscape that could easily still thrive off of retro-futurism while still remaining relevant today.
  • Shiny black rocks with gridlines on them (rather than metallic blue rocks)
  • LED light tubes (rather than neon)
  • Circut design flourishes (rather geometric patterns)
  • moving graphics on electronic billboards add digitized kinetic energy
  • play on word names like Terra-Bites (plant-based foods), The Space Bar (a nod to the past), CyberSpace Mountain
  • use of familiar names and IPs like Buy-N-Large, XS-Tech, & Game Central Station
  • Synthwave BGM music
Congratulations! You just invented the Play pavilion!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Congratulations! You just invented the Play pavilion!

Actually, I've been advocating SGE become a play/dance party space for kids with a techno theme. Which is basically Tomorrowland PLAY!

Maybe each park should have a PLAY! space so tykes can run in circles at full speed shrieking like banshees.

And each space have a plexi-glass separated space for parents to keep an eye on the kids while they enjoy an adult beverage.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Actually, I've been advocating SGE become a play/dance party space for kids with a techno theme. Which is basically Tomorrowland PLAY!

Maybe each park should have a PLAY! space so tykes can run in circles at full speed shrieking like banshees.

And each space have a plexi-glass separated space for parents to keep an eye on the kids while they enjoy and adult beverage.
Lots of soundproofing -- lots and lots......

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

And each space have a plexi-glass separated space for parents to keep an eye on the kids while they enjoy an adult beverage.

Been sporting a similar idea in my signature. It does make a pretty good bit of sense especially if they were to rework Tomorowland to be more Tron/Arcade inspired.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Well, Epcot has a few spaces sort of like this with more outdoor temporary ones that pop up for each festival. Animal Kingdom has the Dino Dig... oddly, Magic Kingdom has less on offer directly like this unless you want to consider the Dumbo Queue which does fit the bill but can't be experienced unless you're in line for that ride.

The also have that area in the center of Tom Sawyer's Island, though.

The only one I can't think of that doesn't have anything for this is Hollywood Studios, at least, not since they got rid of The Honey I Shrunk the kids area.

Of course, a number of these are outdoors and it would be nice if each park had at least one with AC but AC is in shorter supply in AK in general, I guess.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm disappointed in the update Tomorrowland has gotten. It was meant to be a throwback to the original Tomorrowland of 1971, but instead, it's a mess.

If they wanted to incorporate Tron into the theme of the land, they could have easily been inspired by the digital world. Gears and mechanics of the 1930s/1940s retro-future could have made way for a computer/internet cityscape that could easily still thrive off of retro-futurism while still remaining relevant today.
  • Shiny black rocks with gridlines on them (rather than metallic blue rocks)
  • LED light tubes (rather than neon)
  • Circut design flourishes (rather geometric patterns)
  • moving graphics on electronic billboards add digitized kinetic energy
  • play on word names like Terra-Bites (plant-based foods), The Space Bar (a nod to the past), CyberSpace Mountain
  • use of familiar names and IPs like Buy-N-Large, XS-Tech, & Game Central Station
  • Synthwave BGM music

Do we know if these changes are almost complete? If so, then yes, it is disappointing. I was under the assumption they were doing basic removals for now and then making other changes later, but it seems that isn't the case.

stevebwv

Do we know if these changes are almost complete? If so, then yes, it is disappointing. I was under the assumption they were doing basic removals for now and then making other changes later, but it seems that isn't the case.
This was my thought as well. I was looking forward to the start of the redo once Tron was done. This land is a mess. Every attraction in here needs a major overhaul or replacement. Tommorowland will become just a walking path to get to Tron.

Bocabear

So removing another needed attraction and replacing it with a dance party? They are already doing that out on the Esplanade near Space Mountain... How about replacing shuttered attractions for our $100 admission? Not dance parties and meet and greets...
Aim higher...lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So removing another needed attraction and replacing it with a dance party? They are already doing that out on the Esplanade near Space Mountain... How about replacing shuttered attractions for our $100 admission? Not dance parties and meet and greets...
Aim higher...lol

psst... they're adding a new attraction to Tomorrowland -- TRON. So, net additional attraction to the land. And actually, +1 to the total number of *rides* as a sit-down non-ride (SGE) is replaced with another non-ride activity center. Can't really squeeze a ride in the space of SGE.

Also, so many complain about the outdoor dance party as a detraction to the land. Benefit to getting it behind doors.

ImperfectPixie

psst... they're adding a new attraction to Tomorrowland -- TRON. So, net additional attraction to the land. And actually, +1 to the total number of *rides* as a sit-down non-ride (SGE) is replaced with another non-ride activity center. Can't really squeeze a ride in the space of SGE.

Also, so many complain about the outdoor dance party as a detraction to the land. Benefit to getting it behind doors.
Wait...SGE is being replaced with an activity center?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster

Stick in a tent in a purpose built performance theatre. If only they had one of those in Tomorrowland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom