News Tomorrowland love

Sneezy62

I feel like Dreamflight and IYHW are the least talked about of all the extinct Magic Kingdom attractions, is there any reason for this? Were they not that good?
I can’t speak to Dreamflight, but I recently rode Buzz for the second time and was disappointed with my laser gun and just started watching my daughter shoot. When we hit the speed tunnel I realized where I was and really felt some sadness for IYHW. Not that it was gone...airline travel today is a far cry from what was back then...but just for the whole concept of what Tomorrowland was at the opening and what it is now. Science, technology, and the marvels of progress were front and center...not a hint really of science fiction. Science fiction came when they introduced hyperspace travel in Mission to Mars and implied in Space Mountain. From what I’ve seen it was used pretty freely in many of the future world attractions as well. IYHW Could make a comeback as a ride dedicated to self driving auto technology and be in the same spirit that it held back in the day, as an example. I don’t foresee today’s company having any interest in something like that though.

Kman101

Personally I feel Discoveryland is more timeless. But steampunk isn't everyone's favorite. As for regular ole Tomorrowland, I'd agree MK has the better of them all, but Tokyo has Monster's going for it (and Star Tours) and the original entrance. I've only so far seen Disneyland and MK's in person. HK seems like a lackluster take on Sci-Fi City. I'd have to see it in person. Shanghai's seems too gray and sterile but again I'd have to experience it in person. Shanghai's feels like a mix of old Tomorrowland and Future World, just all gray and with TRON instead of Space Mountain. I like some of it from what I've seen but it's still not super appealing (and it's probably going to be at least a decade before I see it in person).

I can see them not thinking Buzz/Monsters are a priority. They have a lot to do everywhere so I guess you have to prioritize. People still want to ride Buzz and Monster's seems like a sleeper hit. I doubt they're seen as "problems" if you look at it from their eyes. I mean, they can't even replace Stitch after several years ... lol. I can't imagine them trying to replace all three of them at the same time. But to me, a true overhaul would be replace them and start over. Not just a cosmetic change and something in Stitch. But it could be a good start. A new paint scheme doesn't make the land 'fixed' but it does indeed help a lot. Just like not replacing Mermaid or Beauty in the Studios. To me, if you overhaul the park ... really overhaul it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I can’t speak to Dreamflight, but I recently rode Buzz for the second time and was disappointed with my laser gun and just started watching my daughter shoot. When we hit the speed tunnel I realized where I was and really felt some sadness for IYHW. Not that it was gone...airline travel today is a far cry from what was back then...but just for the whole concept of what Tomorrowland was at the opening and what it is now. Science, technology, and the marvels of progress were front and center...not a hint really of science fiction. Science fiction came when they introduced hyperspace travel in Mission to Mars and implied in Space Mountain. From what I’ve seen it was used pretty freely in many of the future world attractions as well. IYHW Could make a comeback as a ride dedicated to self driving auto technology and be in the same spirit that it held back in the day, as an example. I don’t foresee today’s company having any interest in something like that though.

Science fiction was also more viable for Tomorrowland since they had Future World just down the road which was also a realistic science and technology/future theme. Disney probably decided they had more ways to make a sci-fi future in that situation.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I am very eager to hear what the eventual STG replacement will be. And MILF and Buzz could def take a hike and I'd be ok with it, even though I do enjoy those attractions, it just feels like there could be something better there.

LOL. Ya just named nearly 3/4th of the land's attractions (of which most would agree need replacing) I guess Tomorowland needs more than an aesthetic change. It needs an entire overhaul!

Maybe by MK's 60th or Centennial Celebration?!

Hyperbole aside: I do like the direction this land is heading visually but it still needs to find it's identity and with new rides that thematically fit.

Kman101

LOL. Ya just named nearly 3/4th of the land's attractions (of which most would agree need replacing) I guess Tomorowland needs more than an aesthetic change. It needs an entire overhaul!

Maybe by MK's 60th or Centennial Celebration?!

Hyperbole aside: I do like the direction this land is heading visually but it still needs to find it's identity and with new rides that thematically fit.

LOL, so true it does need an entire overhaul but I get they just aren't going to do it all at once. They can't really with how busy the MK always is.

I agree with you 100% on the last sentence. I like where it's visually heading, but it's still a mess and a hodgepodge of attractions.

And I think the new sign just stands out more because of the old '94 things still attached to the peoplemover track. Once those are gone and some more paint is applied, I think it will be much more appealing, though I didn't hate the Sci-Fi City walkway (though I'm glad that intrusive thing blocking the walkway is gone), it just never gelled with the rest of the land once you got past Stitch, Monsters and Buzz. EDIT: It just always screams "I don't know what I am" ... lol

Sneezy62

Science fiction was also more viable for Tomorrowland since they had Future World just down the road which was also a realistic science and technology/future theme. Disney probably decided they had more ways to make a sci-fi future in that situation.
Yes, I left the Orlando area in the mid 70s and never looked back until the last ten years or so. I don’t really know the future represented by Future World. I have watched videos and what I have seen looked more like a more distant future than the original Tomorrowland represented. The Eastern Airlines jets in IYHW were not Future Jets. They were the newest model in the fleet at the time. Tomorrowland was really about Tomorrow. I thought we would see a people mover in downtown Orlando by 1975. Movies would be filmed in 360 . Commercial space travel was within reach. That was the feeling it gave. These marvels were real and ready to deploy. When the COP was added it made seem even closer... my mom had grown up in a house with no electricity. We had BW TV but our neighbors had colour. We would get colour too. That was the feeling of Tomorrowland.

TwilightZone

I feel like Dreamflight and IYHW are the least talked about of all the extinct Magic Kingdom attractions, is there any reason for this? Were they not that good?
I think it is because both those rides are kind of unmemorable compared to the likes of snow white, alien encounter, and mr toad. Which all were more thrilling.

Pretty sad, sometimes a non thrilling ride is good to have too!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It is getting a bit dated. And I am not sure they want Pixar at the MK as an IP for the parks attractions. Time will tell.
I, personally, don't see it as very dated. It is still very popular, and its a simple fun shooting game ride with physical targets instead of screens. I personally like it a lot more than Toy Story Mania.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I, personally, don't see it as very dated. It is still very popular, and its a simple fun shooting game ride with physical targets instead of screens. I personally like it a lot more than Toy Story Mania.
Its a good attraction, it just needs some improvements, the guns especially. DL's are much better and more accurate. The sets could use a touch up as well.

WondersOfLife

A ride can be both popular AND dated.

See Peter Pan's Flight

Peter Pan's Flight is a good ride. It has a terrible capacity problem, though, which is the main reason for its lines. Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover and still gets decent wait times. Even factoring in FP+ doesn't mean anything in comparison to each other.

Do you have another 'popular but dated' example?

Timothy_Q

Peter Pan's Flight is a good ride. It has a terrible capacity problem, though, which is the main reason for its lines. Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover and still gets decent wait times. Even factoring in FP+ doesn't mean anything in comparison to each other.

Do you have another 'popular but dated' example?
At WDW? Let's see.

Speedway, Space Mountain, RnRC, iasw, (+PPF, Buzz)

They're all in need of serious updates / refreshes

WondersOfLife

At WDW? Let's see.

Speedway, Space Mountain, RnRC, iasw, (+PPF, Buzz)

They're all in need of serious updates / refreshes

Space Mountain and RnRC are extremely amazing rides for thrill seekers. I wouldn't say either of them are dated outside of Space Mountain's ride mechanics. It's a Small World is, again, a great ride for its intended demographic. My dad was pointing out during our last trip while we were riding it, how the design of the ride keeps little toddlers engaged the whole time. And sure enough, the 4 toddlers on the boat ride were mesmerized by everything around them the whole ride.

Speedway and Peter Pan have terrible capacity problems. And Buzz is still terribly relevant today with the popularity of Toy Story.

I can get behind updating the ride mechanics and some new show scenes for Buzz... But if it were to stay as is, I personally believe it would be fine. Because again, I've always enjoyed it, all my first time friends enjoy it, and I just don't feel a "datedness" to the ride. It's a video game. It's fun. :)

Any other examples?

EDIT: It seems like you're wanting to find a "mediocre but still popular" ride. Peter Pan and Speedway are your only mediocre examples, and their main source of popularity is due to their ride capacity.

Timothy_Q

Space Mountain and RnRC are extremely amazing rides for thrill seekers. I wouldn't say either of them are dated outside of Space Mountain's ride mechanics. It's a Small World is, again, a great ride for its intended demographic. My dad was pointing out during our last trip while we were riding it, how the design of the ride keeps little toddlers engaged the whole time. And sure enough, the 4 toddlers on the boat ride were mesmerized by everything around them the whole ride.

Speedway and Peter Pan have terrible capacity problems. And Buzz is still terribly relevant today with the popularity of Toy Story.

I can get behind updating the ride mechanics and some new show scenes for Buzz... But if it were to stay as is, I personally believe it would be fine. Because again, I've always enjoyed it, all my first time friends enjoy it, and I just don't feel a "datedness" to the ride. It's a video game. It's fun. :)

Any other examples?
I'll never understand people making excuses for Disney to NOT make their rides better.

You can enjoy something and still see the room for improvement.

Once you ride iasw at TDL, DLP and HKD, you'll see how sad MK's version is and how much better it could be
Same goes for the other rides I listed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom