News Tomorrowland love

the.dreamfinder

Maybe Martin knows, but why wasn't Space Mountain built at the end of the plaza and instead around the corner? Seems it would have made for the ultimate weenie, and I think the earliest concept art had it in that spot. I assume land quality had something to do with it, but there had been a later rumor of an Incredibles kuka attraction at that spot.
Space Mountain, like Spaceship Earth sort of baffles me in that most of the best views are from outside the park.
Space Mountain wasn’t an opening day attraction, it opened in 1975.

sedati

Space Mountain wasn’t an opening day attraction, it opened in 1975.
Yup...
To be honest, Tomorrowland itself was barely an opening day attraction.
Not sure what your rebuttle was rebutting, but here's a very early model pic from RetroWDW showing the mountain more centrally aligned:
mkmodelc1970_20120521_1043515787.jpg

... and from MousePlanet:
SM_Master_plan_cover_Smith.jpg

and Martin himself:

WEDwaydatamover

Great Marni. Thanks for the correction!
Everything is different now that there is a huge difference between the 4 attractions opening between1974/1975 in Tomorrowland.

My mind is blown.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe Martin knows, but why wasn't Space Mountain built at the end of the plaza and instead around the corner? Seems it would have made for the ultimate weenie, and I think the earliest concept art had it in that spot. I assume land quality had something to do with it, but there had been a later rumor of an Incredibles kuka attraction at that spot.
Space Mountain, like Spaceship Earth sort of baffles me in that most of the best views are from outside the park.
I never got a full answer. Educated guess was they didn’t want to totally move the pond (they just built on part of it)

Either that or the land was unsuitable.

Skibum1970

I love this sight line. So symmetrical. So pleasing.

Agree. It has an actual tomorrowland feel. The hard part to all this is that, unless WDW is up to razing the area, they are limited in how much change that they can make. So, it now becomes an issue of working with what they have and figuring out how to make it better. Developing a cohesive land with the appropriate rides, based on the theme, would be great but that doesn't exactly fit how WDW is doing things currently.

WDWFREAK53

Is there any chance that the removal of the "dome thingy" could be a start to integrate Tron into the entire land? The aesthetic, colors, and feel of the Tron canopy could really bring some life to the rest of Tomorrowland.

Currently adding Tron to the area gives us at least 3 distinct looks for a land that should be cohesive. (The awful mechanical look, the contemporary style of Space Mountain, and then the "flowing/digital" look of Tron).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there any chance that the removal of the "dome thingy" could be a start to integrate Tron into the entire land? The aesthetic, colors, and feel of the Tron canopy could really bring some life to the rest of Tomorrowland.

Currently adding Tron to the area gives us at least 3 distinct looks for a land that should be cohesive. (The awful mechanical look, the contemporary style of Space Mountain, and then the "flowing/digital" look of Tron).

I understand that blue and white will be the overall look. So, TRON's blue dome and the blue TL highlights will tie together. All the metallic bits should be gone and all should be smooth, clean curves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom