News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

I'm all for gutting the existing mountain and replacing it with a new technology like Raptor Track:

So new they don't actually have any video of one of their groundbreaking coasters running...jus tcomputer mock-ups....? Plus the current operational capacity of Space Mountain is at 1800 guests per hour....which is higher than this new system...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So new they don't actually have any video of one of their groundbreaking coasters running...jus tcomputer mock-ups....? Plus the current operational capacity of Space Mountain is at 1800 guests per hour....which is higher than this new system...
It is still in development with a possible debut date of 2018. Here is a video of a section of test track.

trainplane3

Supposedly, but I have not paid all that much attention to it. I do not even know if it has gone vertical yet.
I believe there's only been ground prep done for both coasters. They can get both built in probably 4-5 months and test for 2-3 weeks. These aren't Disney projects so the construction will be very quick.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe there's only been ground prep done for both coasters. They can get both built in probably 4-5 months and test for 2-3 weeks. These aren't Disney projects so the construction will be very quick.
Correct. I was not too worried about the construction time, more so the projects going to completion. I know it is not unheard of for these things to get canceled especially before they have track laying on the ground.

Boek68

Track is on site in CA. By the time a SF or CF park announce a coaster, there is very very little chance the ride will be cancelled.

It's an interesting idea to replace SM track with newer raptor track. It is something that makes sense from a maintenance standpoint (way less welding and inspection points) AND an engineering stand point (doesn't need nearly as much of a support structure compared to what is in there now).

It does not make sense from an operation standpoint though. The capacities on these rides have everyone questioning how SF and CF are going to handle it, let alone a Disney park.

fgmnt

Track is on site in CA. By the time a SF or CF park announce a coaster, there is very very little chance the ride will be cancelled.

It's an interesting idea to replace SM track with newer raptor track. It is something that makes sense from a maintenance standpoint (way less welding and inspection points) AND an engineering stand point (doesn't need nearly as much of a support structure compared to what is in there now).

It does not make sense from an operation standpoint though. The capacities on these rides have everyone questioning how SF and CF are going to handle it, let alone a Disney park.

I mean, I don't see why a hypothetical custom layout of the track couldn't include enough block sections to support 13 trains? Am I missing something?

Brad Bishop

I'm wondering the same thing. It seems like a simplified track/structure and moving the trains through the course doesn't change. As long as the cars/seats don't require extra load time it seems like it could be done (it won't but it seems like there wouldn't be a capacity problem).

Ag11gani

It really would, and would be a great addition to one of the Communicore buildings with a fleshed out Walt Disney Museum and historical section of Walt Disney and the World's Fair... that would make an engaging brilliant pavilion...
And then Small World at the very center of the lake esplanade...creating a visual gateway to the countries of the world, with stadium seating for Illuminations built into the back of the building facing the lake... That would make total sense...

Small Worlds' building us huge and IMO would look absolutely hideous on World Showcase lagoon, despite the fact the location makes themeatic sense. Although replacing the Odessey I think would look better, although the Odessey dosn't really need replacing if they turned into a proper dinner show like it was.

trainplane3

I mean, I don't see why a hypothetical custom layout of the track couldn't include enough block sections to support 13 trains? Am I missing something?
Isn't the old DL SM layout the exact same as the re-tracking? As long as the layout is the same, the speeds are close, and there's the same number of blocks, I think it'd work fine. Of course that would depend partly on loading but RMC tends to do the simple "pull back restraint bar" and that's it, so it is similar to WDW's SM. The 2 new designs are using a OTSR but I'm sure they could design a lapbar setup since there wouldn't be inversions on SM.

Thinking about it, a Raptor Track replacement for WDW's SM would make sense. It would retain the single row setup and the track is small so there wouldn't need to be any enlarging of any elements. Who knows, maybe you could squeeze another block in there thanks to having magnetic braking and technology vs a slide rule, some paper clips, and a calculator (not talking down on them, they pulled a lot off with that back then!).

Cesar R M

The up speedramp is inconsistent, up and down. So many coned off cars too.

Somewhat tangential, but while I love the refurb to Splash happening now and the beyond dire restoration that POTC got a couple years back (it was super terrible around mid 2015) the poor show top-to-bottom in Tomorrowland is pretty appalling and obvious to anyone. When the best thing the land has going for it is a C-ticket theater show that isn't even a remote thematic fit, you have to wonder if anyone in TDO offices has visited their moneymaking operation in the last 2 years.
They act like they only have one single true maintenance group.
Every year they move to one single attraction and move to the next.
As slow as they are and as the other attractions falls one by one.

Boek68

Yes, in theory you are correct. The problem is the current train design, which could very well change in the future.

But as they are being built now, the trains are single seat, single row, 8 car trains. That is a lot of length and not a lot of people.

Yes, I realize the current trains have inline seating, but its three seats per car, The overall length of the train is much shorter.
maxresdefault.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, in theory you are correct. The problem is the current train design, which could very well change in the future.

But as they are being built now, the trains are single seat, single row, 8 car trains. That is a lot of length and not a lot of people.

Yes, I realize the current trains have inline seating, but its three seats per car, The overall length of the train is much shorter. View attachment 240278
They had mentioned coming up with some sort of rapid loading procedure to counteract this. Any idea what they came up with?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe the Six Flags version will have a always moving platform. I feel that would not work in Disney. It's fine on omnimovers but I don't think a always moving coaster would work. But who knows!
Yeah..that could get interesting if they don't have an automated safety system of and/or a very attentive CM with a gigantic e-stop button.

MichRX7

Premium Member
It is still in development with a possible debut date of 2018. Here is a video of a section of test track.

Did anyone else watch this and think it looked boring? I mean, I know it's just a first concept but I saw nothing thrilling. Am I missing something? Outside of the single bar center-line track I don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom