News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

No. No no no.
I think that was what was being talked about alot...but not necessarily the truth I guess...lol
at this point do they just feel the payoff isn't worth it? the moving Yeti is not that much better?
I know in fact that it really was amazing , but maybe they feel like the Sheeple don't care?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
When I saw that mold/mildew on my visit last week, I actually made an audible gasp of disbelief. I just couldn't believe they allowed such a hideous sight to appear. Its shocking because things seemed to be going in a different direction but now its back to the same old. On the plus side, at least the ramp up to the PeopleMover was functioning for once
I'm not convinced it's mold. It looks more like lubrication. But it's certainly a mess.

fgmnt

When I saw that mold/mildew on my visit last week, I actually made an audible gasp of disbelief. I just couldn't believe they allowed such a hideous sight to appear. Its shocking because things seemed to be going in a different direction but now its back to the same old. On the plus side, at least the ramp up to the PeopleMover was functioning for once

The up speedramp is inconsistent, up and down. So many coned off cars too.

Somewhat tangential, but while I love the refurb to Splash happening now and the beyond dire restoration that POTC got a couple years back (it was super terrible around mid 2015) the poor show top-to-bottom in Tomorrowland is pretty appalling and obvious to anyone. When the best thing the land has going for it is a C-ticket theater show that isn't even a remote thematic fit, you have to wonder if anyone in TDO offices has visited their moneymaking operation in the last 2 years.

Mike S

Weren't they waiting for Pandora to open so that they could fix the Yeti in Everest?
:hilarious:
725C635B-2B4A-499F-AD52-D9C2D489812E.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have a hard time believing I'm in WDW when I get stuck in that section of queue. It feels like something I'd find at a small family ran park.

Well, they do have the in-park and post-visit surveys. I've been getting way more critical of them lately. I did one 2 years ago and I remember giving SM a 5/10, Buzz a 5/10, Peoplemover a 9/10, SGE a 1/10, HM 8/10, and BTTM 8/10.

From my trip about 3 months ago, I had a post-visit transportation survey. I pointed out a couple issues with the monorails but I was pretty happy overall.

Sidenote: Having just been at Cedar Point and seeing the park very clean and insanely well ran during the time of the year where crowds are heavy (2 hours to actually park on Saturday, backed up to Highway 2, lines were all at least an hour) and employees are very short (mostly underpaid college students), I was blown away. The crews running Millennium Force, Gatekeeper, Valravn, and Maverick were literally F1 pit crews. They were sprinting around like idiots but kept smiling, making jokes, and having a good time. Long lines, but the crews running the rides were trying to make everything move as fast as possible. The cleanliness was what really surprised me. It was cleaner then my last visit to MK...
Edit: Apparently higher ups at Cedar Point stepped in to assist with the rides since the crowds were that bad this weekend.

Hmmm... Clean and well-run parks, friendly staff... It sounds like Disneyland around it's 50th! Who has been running Cedar Fair for the past 6 years, Matt Ouimet??? Oh wait, HE HAS. Good thing Disney kicked him to the curb, imagine all the money he'd have cost them with his crazy ideas around maintenance and cleanliness... :rolleyes:

Reading all of these comments about the state of Space Mountain is like someone repeatedly punching me in the stomach. :bawling: It sickens me to see how far the ODT has let this once-stellar ride deteriorate, under the guide of "cost containment". I sincerely hope that SM gets the TLC that it needs... no, it REQUIRES... before it reaches a point of no return (feel free to interpret that as you wish, it's deliberately non-specific).

In all seriousness, I cannot properly verbalize my level of disgust with anyone involved with the maintenance issues around Space Mountain right now. :mad:

Movielover

I'm not a coaster fan generally but I love Everest so much more than SM. Everest is smooth. I feel like I get whiplash and jerked around on SM.

That's probably more to do with the fact that Everest was built in the mid 2000's and Space was built in the mid 70's. I understand that Space needs a re-track but there is a huge difference in the way that coasters were designed between then and now.

PREMiERdrum

Sidenote: Having just been at Cedar Point and seeing the park very clean and insanely well ran during the time of the year where crowds are heavy (2 hours to actually park on Saturday, backed up to Highway 2, lines were all at least an hour) and employees are very short (mostly underpaid college students), I was blown away. The crews running Millennium Force, Gatekeeper, Valravn, and Maverick were literally F1 pit crews. They were sprinting around like idiots but kept smiling, making jokes, and having a good time. Long lines, but the crews running the rides were trying to make everything move as fast as possible. The cleanliness was what really surprised me. It was cleaner then my last visit to MK...
Edit: Apparently higher ups at Cedar Point stepped in to assist with the rides since the crowds were that bad this weekend.

Funny you should mention it. I have 2 former students working at the Point (one one Valravn, and the crew lead on Raptor) and they've both had incredibly positive things to say about the leadership up there.

azox

I'm not convinced it's mold. It looks more like lubrication. But it's certainly a mess.

Why didn't we see this happen in the many years before? It's odd that it has only happened sine the new paint job. It looked like mold when we were there in September. Does anything else in the area have this happening to it?

Kamikaze

Hmmm... Clean and well-run parks, friendly staff... It sounds like Disneyland around it's 50th! Who has been running Cedar Fair for the past 6 years, Matt Ouimet??? Oh wait, HE HAS. Good thing Disney kicked him to the curb, imagine all the money he'd have cost them with his crazy ideas around maintenance and cleanliness... :rolleyes:

And now he might be back soon...

Brad Bishop

See my above post about E.T. I've never seen any of Disney's classic attractions that neglected.

Not even Buzz? Buzz is pretty neglected. Usually it's gross/dirty inside and the guns may/may not work and everything is coated with a kind of 'muck'. The last time I was in there the Buzz AA's face was pretty blurry from either too much dust on it, an unfocused projector, or both.

Brad Bishop

I think that was what was being talked about alot...but not necessarily the truth I guess...lol
at this point do they just feel the payoff isn't worth it? the moving Yeti is not that much better?
I know in fact that it really was amazing , but maybe they feel like the Sheeple don't care?

Yeti working or not, doesn't affect ticket sales. Why fix it? (current management's thought process).

The current management has made it so bad that Disney literally doing anything to their parks (any sort of improvement) is met with awe and a, "It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit... It's an improvement! What are you complaining about???" You can see that with nearly any recent thing that has opened, will be opening, or changed. They could put another Frozen ride where Stitch is (was) in Tomorrowland and people would laud it as finally Tomorrowland is getting some love/improvements. People would line up for it out of curiosity and everyone would pat themselves on the back about how right it was to put Frozen in Tomorrowland (because at least it's something).

I hate to say it, but they (management) are right. You can starve your customers of what they want and then if you produce something/anything people will clamor for it.

Think about The Force Awakens. It wasn't a particularly good movie. The problem is that it had been so long since a good Star Wars movie (1980s) AND I, II, & III sucked so much that literally anything that didn't suck as bad as I, II, or III would be thought of as great. I thought the same thing when I walked out of the theater until, a bit later, it dawned on me, "...it really wasn't that good. It just didn't suck like the rest." It's a pretty low bar to set: It doesn't suck / continue to suck.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And now he might be back soon...

Not likely, he's stepping down as CEO but is staying with the company as Executive Chief of the BoD or some such title. And his split with DIS/management was acrimonious, I can't imagine he'd want to come back with things being arguably worse now than they were then. Although it could be *who* had problems with him, and if that person/those people are no longer with TWDC themselves...

Kamikaze

Um no, He's moved up the ladder at his current gig,

For someone who pretends to know about business, you really don't.

Being on the board isn't a promotion. And it doesn't mean you can't actually work a job at another company. In effect, he's leaving Cedar Fair.

Lets take Disney's board:

Susan Arnold - Also on board at McDonald's. Retired.
John Chen - CEO of Blackberry. Also on board at Wells Fargo.
Jack Dorsey - Founder and CEO of Twitter and Square.
Iger - duh
Fred Langhammer - Chairman of Estee Lauder. Also on board of Shinsea Bank
Aylwin Lewis - Chairman, CEO, President of Potbelly Sandwich Works
Monica Lozano - CEO of ImpreMedia LLC
Robert Matschullat - PE investor. Also on Visa's board
Mark Parker - CEO, Nike
Sheryl Sandberg - COO, Facebook. Founder of Lean In
Orin Smith - Also on board at Nike. Retired. Chairman of Starbucks foundation, Vice Chair at U of Washington
Mary Barra - Chairman and CEO of General Motors

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom