• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

Kman101

I would imagine most reasonable individuals will defend them when it comes to certain items, while at the same time criticize when it comes to other items when necessary. Not sure why it has to be an either-or for some.
I don't get the either/or mentality either.

jt04

I am thinking that WDW' s Tomorrowland might be the only Tomorrowland in the US soon. Being transformed into a tribute of sorts to Walt's vision of the future and his legacy. CoP makes sense in that context. As does the people mover. And also the Progress City/EPCOT model. And other elements. Tomorrowland would not always have to be updated aesthetically also.

And eventually the omnimover could become a tribute to WED' s visionary projects.

Just a hunch. Could be wrong.

PS- this would also free Future World of carrying that legacy.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am thinking that WDW' s Tomorrowland might be the only Tomorrowland in the US soon. Being transformed into a tribute of sorts to Walt's vision of the future and his legacy. CoP makes sense in that context. As does the people mover. And also the Progress City/EPCOT model. And other elements. Tomorrowland would not always have to be updated aesthetically also.

And eventually the omnimover could become a tribute to WED' s visionary projects.

Just a hunch. Could be wrong.

PS- this would also free Future World of carrying that legacy.
Stranger things have happened.

prberk

I still see the picture in unkadoug's avatar (now mine, but credit where due) as the perfect demonstration of how Tomorrowland fit into Walt's vision of the future and how that theme was initially carried out so well at WDW -- the monorail and the Contemporary off in the distance of a Tomorrowland beckoning us to look to the future with optimism, and even a little whimsy (but only entered after passing through a glimpse of an optimistic yesterday and across the way from a past that itself was seen as the "frontier" -- all with some adventure and fantasy to grease the imagination).

You can see a pattern in Walt's planning that was grounded in the past but still reaching optimistically for the future. And in this picture you can almost literally see it into the horizon... beyond which would one day be EPCOT, the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow itself.

This cohesiveness of vision for WDW was something I was blessed to be around for and watch it grow, and it inspired me, at least most of the time. I do think that understanding this helps WDW make sense, at least to why it is here in the first place. Even with commercial and short-term considerations, I think WDW planners are always best when they keep this vision at least somewhat in mind.

Last edited:

prberk

The Arcade building doe not match the architecture of Space Mountain at all...It would have been nice if they went back to the original concept drawings and designed something more futuristic rather than the retro deco future style...
Anyone have a picture of it handy, especially in context to Space Mountain. Not remembering much more than a box (which is probably the problem.)

geekza

Sponsored by Cyberdyne Systems
A division of Proctor and Gamble, a subdivision of The Walt Disney Company. The Cyberdyne logo, as well as the slogan, "Disney: Don't we own you?" are the exclusive trademarks of The Walt Disney Company and their use, in any written or graphic form, automatically grant The Walt Disney Company the exclusive rights to your soul, intellectual property, and any and all ideas for cupcakes, now and in perpetuity. All rights reserved.

Cesar R M

A division of Proctor and Gamble, a subdivision of The Walt Disney Company. The Cyberdyne logo, as well as the slogan, "Disney: Don't we own you?" are the exclusive trademarks of The Walt Disney Company and their use, in any written or graphic form, automatically grant The Walt Disney Company the exclusive rights to your soul, intellectual property, and any and all ideas for cupcakes, now and in perpetuity. All rights reserved.
Walt Disney Company, a division of the BUY N LARGE global conglomerate.

Top Bottom