Tom Staggs Confirms Project of "NextGen" Nature

twinnstar

I also wanted to add something about the other feature of NextGen: the personalisation. This sounds rather charming. But is this really what Disney magic is about? It might fool kids. But we adults will know that Belle isn't using our name because she really knows us and we have some connection on a personal level, but because some technology gave her the name of the next guest. Once the novelty wears off it is just what it is: some technology. However, when you have a true personal interaction with a CM, like someone joking around with you while you are waiting in line, a short conversation, taking part in a show etc., it is much more magical to me.

I see what you're saying, but I dont think CMs are going anywhere, so why not be able to experience both? Also, I dont see what the difference between "fooling" kids into thinking an animated Belle is saying their name, or a real-life Belle is walking around the park.

ryanduggers

I wish there were more characters walking around the parks. The only place they do that anymore is Mad Tea Party. (no I don't count M&G's), but that is another argument for another day.

I love the changes to Pooh, but think that real characters would really increase the coolness of the area, not just across the way doing a M&G.

One of the coolest things was when the red queen rode the teacups with my son

Bolna

I see what you're saying, but I dont think CMs are going anywhere, so why not be able to experience both? Also, I dont see what the difference between "fooling" kids into thinking an animated Belle is saying their name, or a real-life Belle is walking around the park.

I guess what I am saying is that it seems to be a lot of money is going to be spent on something which will not really create those lasting memories and the magical moments which WDW advertises at the moment.

And I think this what a lot of this discussion is about: what do you want WDW to spend money for? More CMs working at the park, more training for them, new attractions and shows or NextGen? It would be great if there was an ifinite supply of funds for new investments, but I am quite sure there isn't. So it is a question of priorities.

stitch2008

I guess what I am saying is that it seems to be a lot of money is going to be spent on something which will not really create those lasting memories and the magical moments which WDW advertises at the moment.

And I think this what a lot of this discussion is about: what do you want WDW to spend money for? More CMs working at the park, more training for them, new attractions and shows or NextGen? It would be great if there was an ifinite supply of funds for new investments, but I am quite sure there isn't. So it is a question of priorities.

Everyone would love WDW to keep spending money on attractions. I'd love to see new E-Tickets come to WDW. But WDW has to focus on pleasing guests. If you have happy guests. Then they are not only more likely to return, but they will tell their friends that they had a good time. So it's all about the guest experience. If these new things will help make the experience better, then the guests will keep coming back.

We are always looking for the next big ride. And we always push for it. But Disney needs to think about the overall experience rather then the number of rides they have. So Disney will spend money on whatever they feel will improve guests experience. And in the future, NextGen will be integrated into rides and attractions. I remember seeing in the Fantasyland board that someone said Mermaid was going to have an interactive line(I dont think it was confirmed though :shrug:). And Dumbo is going to have NextGen line.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I also wanted to add something about the other feature of NextGen: the personalisation. This sounds rather charming. But is this really what Disney magic is about? It might fool kids. But we adults will know that Belle isn't using our name because she really knows us and we have some connection on a personal level, but because some technology gave her the name of the next guest. Once the novelty wears off it is just what it is: some technology. However, when you have a true personal interaction with a CM, like someone joking around with you while you are waiting in line, a short conversation, taking part in a show etc., it is much more magical to me.

Agreed. But I doubt that will change. Perhaps what is added, though, are things like:
--Mr. Potato Head saying the names of kids passing in front of him in the TSMM line, or the TSMM screen showing your name in addition to your score, and telling you whether you did better this time or last.
--The stupid screen at Spaceship Earth being able to call up your previous selections so you can see something new.
-- Crush being able to not just describe kids he's talking to, but call on them by name.
-- No need to give the photopass guy your card. The pic is attached to the IDs of everybody in the pose.

There's a zillion other things they could do, and I'll bet they try a bunch and then pick the ones that go over well.

An idea was thrown around by a member on here of being able to reserve your FPs for the day before you enter the parks. Like you want to grab TSMM FPs for your group but hubby is a late-riser or just plain slow getting ready. So you reserve a couple of FPs that morning from your hotel room. Not a system where you reserve your FPs 180 days before your trip. That's just a bit silly it seems to me. This is more like being able to get a couple of FPs for the rides that deem it necessary to be there at rope drop and race like you're in the Land Run of '89 or something WITHOUT having to be there at rope drop and hurdle over the small children slowly moving in front of you.

I hope I'm not butchering the idea, but I believe that was the premise of it. I wish I could find the post but it was in a non-fastpass related thread (of course) and searching for Fastpass brings up a lot of crap.

I could see the new system being something like that.

That would be a great idea and a little benefit for people staying on property. Instead of taking part in the huge rope drop run, you can reserve 1 fastpass a day anytime before the park in question opens that day. Then you can't get another fastpass until 2 hours after the park opens, just like regular guests who get a FP right away. That would make sense. My concern is that they'll let the values get one FP a day, the mods 3, and the deluxes 6, and then you get too much of a class system in the parks. I hope they don't go there.

Everyone would love WDW to keep spending money on attractions. I'd love to see new E-Tickets come to WDW. But WDW has to focus on pleasing guests. If you have happy guests. Then they are not only more likely to return, but they will tell their friends that they had a good time. So it's all about the guest experience. If these new things will help make the experience better, then the guests will keep coming back.

We are always looking for the next big ride. And we always push for it. But Disney needs to think about the overall experience rather then the number of rides they have. So Disney will spend money on whatever they feel will improve guests experience. And in the future, NextGen will be integrated into rides and attractions. I remember seeing in the Fantasyland board that someone said Mermaid was going to have an interactive line(I dont think it was confirmed though :shrug:). And Dumbo is going to have NextGen line.

I agree with this. We all want the next big ride/show/attraction. But if Disney can take out the low points of the day (lines), that'll probably do as much for guest satisfaction as creating another high point, and perhaps at less cost. For the MK and Epcot, in particular, where most people probably can't do in a day all that they would like to do, adding attractions just means more things that people don't have time to do. If the result is that people stay longer, that's a win for Disney. But most people can't afford (time or money) to take longer than a week's vacation, and I suspect Disney now believes that the marginal return on adding things is not as big as it used to be, because convincing people to stay longer is harder when they're already spending a week. But spending money so that they have a better time during that week will raise the chance that next year's week-long vacation will also be at WDW.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I agree, and I think the true magic of Disney in the past has been to create attractions that can simultaneously "wow" the children AND adults with unique experiences and the thought "how did they do that?"

So far, this seems to be only something that will wow the children, but not the adults.

Bolna

But WDW has to focus on pleasing guests. If you have happy guests. Then they are not only more likely to return, but they will tell their friends that they had a good time. So it's all about the guest experience.

Yes, and that's what my post was about: I don't think it will make people happy in the long run! I think guests will tire of this much faster than of a new E-Ticket.

stitch2008

Yes, and that's what my post was about: I don't think it will make people happy in the long run! I think guests will tire of this much faster than of a new E-Ticket.

I get what your saying. But I'm not saying that NextGen replaces E Tickets. WDW will have to continue putting in rides. NextGen is just something extra to make the overall experience better. It doesn't replace rides though.

bugsbunny

Other than us dorks here on these forums, who is really going to plan their vacation down to the ride/time level that far in advance? That is a ton of work and that's assuming you even know what rides you want to do. At this point, I feel like I'm back at work doing project management charts! Where's the vacation part? :shrug:

Most people I know that go to WDW have a hard enough time understanding that they need to do ADR...or even know what that acronym means. Or call the Magic Kingdom, "Disney World Park". Or know that Epcot actually has some rides in it! Also, if they are going to trace your name through RFID or something like that, I know plenty of people DEATHLY afraid of being called out in public. I've gone to the Hoopie Dee Doo and had people leave and wait outside until they are done going through the crowd picking people to help with the show or not done Monsters Laugh because they don't want to be seen on camera. Seriously, people have that much stage fright and simply just want to vacation in peace and quiet....at WDW.

stitch2008

Hey everyone. Check this out. This may offer us some clues as to what they may in mind when it comes to ride reservations.

I tried to cite my source but it wouldnt let me.

Apparently Disney filed a patent in 2007 that would allow you to get a FastPass over your mobile device and another patent in 2007 for a system that would allow to get a fastpass from their television in their hotel room before visiting a park.

AEfx

A bit harsh, no?

Toy Story (Midway) Mania is pretty popular.

I don't think it's harsh to call Everest the huge embarrassment that it is. They had entire hour-long TV specials (several) about it, including one that largely focused on the Yeti itself. They promoted this ride to all heck - but it's really just an OK roller-coaster inside an almost completely un-themed interior without the Yeti.

And, in fact, the Yeti isn't even that impressive when it does work - it goes by so quickly most people didn't even notice it when it did work (the show should have been designed to stop in front of him, like Kong) and it was just a poor place to design him in the first place. They spent more time and effort on a queue and details that 99% of park goers won't even notice and have the 'main attraction' inside broken for years. If that's not an embarrassment, I don't know what is.

As to TSM, yup, people wait up to 3 hours to ride. I'd love to see the guest satisfaction on that one - if people were polled after waiting 3 hours to ride it if they thought it was worth half their day to wait for.

TSM is a neat little thing, but as I specified earlier it certainly isn't an E-ticket and there is nothing new or revolutionary about it. It's a Toy Story ride where you shoot guns. Sound like any other ride, say one in the MK? Only instead of a reasonably immersive dark ride, it's just video screens (just like most of us have at home, simply larger - and you can even buy the game that simulates it to play right at home).

Don't get me wrong, it's not a "bad" ride, there just was nothing new, innovative, or terribly exciting about it. I think you'll find it so popular because of the dearth of other things to do at MGM for the age group that it is most popular with, or because of the lack of overall "family" rides. People are just desperate there to ride something together than isn't GMR or Star Tours. It wasn't a "bad" addition, but it certainly wasn't any great feat or terribly impressive as an experience, either.

The new Fastpass may be linked to your staying at a Disney Resort.

This is what I am most surprised people haven't really been talking about. This just smacks of the caste system that many of us have been dreading. I don't see any other way to do it than tie it to hotel reservations, because otherwise you'd just have people signing up for FP for fun that may not even be going to WDW. It's possible for them to attach it to tickets, but not a lot of people have hard tickets before they arrive so it's hard to see how they could set the system up for anyone but hotel guests with confirmation #, or perhaps AP holders as well.

If it becomes another on-property perk, I think a lot of people could live with it - but it's a sliding slope, where stay at a value you get X amount of FP, if you stay at a mod you get X(x2) FP's, Deluxe X(x3), etc. Many would argue that is just fine - I can see why it would, or would not, be attractive, sort of on the fence (pay more = get more makes sense, but on the other hand it just feels kind of dirty and shady), but I am very surprised that few people have discussed this connection. We have talked about these patents before, and this sounds like what they are talking about.

That all said, I still stick with my original wish - that they would build a bunch of new rides to experience instead of spending a billion dollars to re-jigger how we go on the ones that are already there.

RSoxNo1

I don't think it's harsh to call Everest the huge embarrassment that it is. They had entire hour-long TV specials (several) about it, including one that largely focused on the Yeti itself. They promoted this ride to all heck - but it's really just an OK roller-coaster inside an almost completely un-themed interior without the Yeti.

And, in fact, the Yeti isn't even that impressive when it does work - it goes by so quickly most people didn't even notice it when it did work (the show should have been designed to stop in front of him, like Kong) and it was just a poor place to design him in the first place. They spent more time and effort on a queue and details that 99% of park goers won't even notice and have the 'main attraction' inside broken for years. If that's not an embarrassment, I don't know what is.

As to TSM, yup, people wait up to 3 hours to ride. I'd love to see the guest satisfaction on that one - if people were polled after waiting 3 hours to ride it if they thought it was worth half their day to wait for.

TSM is a neat little thing, but as I specified earlier it certainly isn't an E-ticket and there is nothing new or revolutionary about it. It's a Toy Story ride where you shoot guns. Sound like any other ride, say one in the MK? Only instead of a reasonably immersive dark ride, it's just video screens (just like most of us have at home, simply larger - and you can even buy the game that simulates it to play right at home).

Don't get me wrong, it's not a "bad" ride, there just was nothing new, innovative, or terribly exciting about it. I think you'll find it so popular because of the dearth of other things to do at MGM for the age group that it is most popular with, or because of the lack of overall "family" rides. People are just desperate there to ride something together than isn't GMR or Star Tours. It wasn't a "bad" addition, but it certainly wasn't any great feat or terribly impressive as an experience, either.

This is what I am most surprised people haven't really been talking about. This just smacks of the caste system that many of us have been dreading. I don't see any other way to do it than tie it to hotel reservations, because otherwise you'd just have people signing up for FP for fun that may not even be going to WDW. It's possible for them to attach it to tickets, but not a lot of people have hard tickets before they arrive so it's hard to see how they could set the system up for anyone but hotel guests with confirmation #, or perhaps AP holders as well.

If it becomes another on-property perk, I think a lot of people could live with it - but it's a sliding slope, where stay at a value you get X amount of FP, if you stay at a mod you get X(x2) FP's, Deluxe X(x3), etc. Many would argue that is just fine - I can see why it would, or would not, be attractive, sort of on the fence (pay more = get more makes sense, but on the other hand it just feels kind of dirty and shady), but I am very surprised that few people have discussed this connection. We have talked about these patents before, and this sounds like what they are talking about.

That all said, I still stick with my original wish - that they would build a bunch of new rides to experience instead of spending a billion dollars to re-jigger how we go on the ones that are already there.

For me the issues with Everest are as follows:

• The Yeti needs to be repaired
  • They need to hide the structural steel on the interior of the mountain
  • The back of the Mountain is still an eyesore in the parking lot

Any existing attraction can be enhanced, and surely they could add more things to Everest, but for me, if those three things are addressed it rivals Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain or The Haunted Masion for the best attraction on Disney property.

I actually feel the coaster itself is very good - it derives its thrills from well paced speed and rich theming.

As for Toy Story Mania - I really enjoy the ride but I have never waited more than 45 minutes for it (and that was at DCA). Very rarely am I willing to wait that long for anything - the problem with the attraction is that it's the best and newest family attraction at Hollywood Studios. More importantly, the guest demand was underestimated and points to a larger issue with the Studios - a lack of family friendly rides.

As for how the "Fastpass for your vacation" concept will work, I feel that it will dip into the daily distribution of Fastpass for attractions - That's the most logical way to do it, but again that sounds like a system that benefits the hardcore fans and hurts the casual visitor.

CJR

I'm curious, what happens when a reservation is booked and it starts raining? Think of the safaris or Jungle Cruise. Sure some people might be ok seeing these in the rain, but there a lot who aren't.

The same thought could go for unexpected break downs or rarely cold temperatures (Splash Mountain). Most dining reservations are ok in these situations, but a ride reservation could be completely messed up.

Unless this is something completely different from what I'm expecting, I think guest satisfaction would actually lower instead of grow. It's too much scheduling on a vacation and for things that really can't be promised. A restaurant? Definitely, odds are it'll be open. A ride? I can't promise that, or else, people who (for whatever unnecessary reason) reserved to see the Tiki Room this week will be very disappointed and, gosh darn it, Space Mountain's already full for April 18th. That could have people turned off and might plan something simpler or open the door for Universal to say, "Hey, we do things the right way" (which isn't true either).

Mammymouse

In my opinion I can't see the NextGen being a big generator of new guests, but just an inhancement to the guests that were already planning on going there anyway. But by investing in new and refreshed attractions - now your talking attracting new guests for variety of reasons, who need park tickets, hotel accommodations, food, trinkets and treasures, extra recreation, etc. - ka-ching!! If it were me I would put my investment in something that will definitely give me a return. Of course what do I know, but this "data mining" thing - how much money can that generate from a finite number of people versus the general population of the world as potential new guests?

skipperg

I love my toys and gadgets as much as anyone, but I long for the days of our first trips 20 years ago when there were no cell phones in the parks, you didn't need an App to now the wait times, no FastPasses and the 3:00 o'clock parade was at 3:00 o'clock. It didn't matter if you were staying at the Grand Floridian or the Days Inn on I94. The CM's were so kind and there seemed to be more of them than Trash Cans.

Yes we still keep going, but if Walt could only see it now! What I wouldn't give to be back in a one hour wait for Splash Mountain again with my 10 year old son.

wdwfan4ver

I'm curious, what happens when a reservation is booked and it starts raining? Think of the safaris or Jungle Cruise. Sure some people might be ok seeing these in the rain, but there a lot who aren't.

The same thought could go for unexpected break downs or rarely cold temperatures (Splash Mountain). Most dining reservations are ok in these situations, but a ride reservation could be completely messed up.

Unless this is something completely different from what I'm expecting, I think guest satisfaction would actually lower instead of grow.
I agree that gust satisfaction would get lower. Test Track is one of my favorite rides at Epcot, but it also is known to shutdown during the rain/thunder. Ride reservation would be nightmare for Test Track due to rain/thunder or breakdowns and there would be a lot of complaints as a result.

spaceghost

Unless this is something completely different from what I'm expecting, I think guest satisfaction would actually lower instead of grow. It's too much scheduling on a vacation and for things that really can't be promised. A restaurant? Definitely, odds are it'll be open. A ride? I can't promise that, or else, people who (for whatever unnecessary reason) reserved to see the Tiki Room this week will be very disappointed and, gosh darn it, Space Mountain's already full for April 18th. That could have people turned off and might plan something simpler or open the door for Universal to say, "Hey, we do things the right way" (which isn't true either).

I guess I don't understand. How is that different than getting a fastpass in the morning for the Safaris and then when you come back at your return time a few hours later and its raining? Or you get a FP for Splash Mountain and then it goes down for emergency maintenance? Also, I am still skeptical that Disney would set this up for anything other than the attractions that need it. I see no point in scheduling a time to see the Tiki Room when its not difficult to get into as is. I can't imagine that Disney would invest a ton of money in a system to control the flow of people to attractions that don't need it.

tirian

Although I'm cautiously optimistic about the entire Next Gen project, I have two reservations. First, how does this affect APs and CMs who are staying at hotels but don't have MYW tickets? Second, I'm in the same place as SkipperG: I'm a HUGE tech-geek, but one of my favorite things to do in WDW is switch my iPhone to silent and forget about it. When I stay in a hotel, my laptop or iPad usually stays in a case. I go to WDW as a guest to unplug from everyday stress, not to stay connected to it.

But I'll deal with being tethered to my phone if it means I don't have to run for a TSMM Fastpass at rope drop. ;)

trr1

I can't really wrap my head around how this would work. You would reserve a time to be at a ride - how in the world would I know that before leave my house?! Could rides sell out months in advance? Seems really complicated...does anyone have thoughts on specifics?
can you say disney dining plan?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom