Tom Sawyer Island rehab coming soon

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Greetings all from the geek labs

Here is some rehab news just coming out

Tom Sawyer Island will be closed for refurbishment Monday, May 24 through Monday, June 7, reopening Tuesday, June 8, 2004.

StevenT

Rivers of America Drained... could be interesting to see, I sense a photo opportunity :D . When was the last time the last time it was drained?

Jerm

Rivers drained for 2 weeks...I dont think so. I know the river here in DL just the draining part took a full week. One sure way to know if the river is going dry is to check on the schedule for the all the water craft....oh wait lol... ok the one water craft LOL. But I would not plan on seeing a dry river with out a 3 month or more rehab planned.

J

ToTBellHop

Look at how long it has taken to drain 20K. It is no small feat to drain the Rivers, either, and the only reason they would do that is if they needed to work on some effects in the river or the track. I wouldn't expect that.

FigmentJedi

I just hope that the rehab of the island is just to keep things nice and spiffy, instead of a a flesh-eating-lawyer-guided venture where they destroy the fun things that may even have the SLIGHTEST chance of hurting a kid.

wdwjames79

Originally posted by StevenT
Rivers of America Drained... could be interesting to see, I sense a photo opportunity :D . When was the last time the last time it was drained?

Dear Steven,
My parents have been going to Walt Disney World every year since 1973 and I remember my dad telling me that the rivers of America were drained in the mid 1980's. I believe he told me it was in 1985. It was very interesting to see from what he told me. I also believe that if you do some research on here, there is actually a photo of it. I remember seeing it on a wdw site which offered wdw pics from opening day to present.

General Grizz

Although they are not "supposed" to be, the waters of the Rivers of America connect to natural bodies of water. Skippy, Bunny, and Beulah, a trio of alligators, entered the Rivers of America and swam around for quite a while until they were removed in late 2003.

6258wdwmagic_riverdrained.jpg

PHOTO: maelstrom's photo of the drained Rivers from 1978.

skeeter

I kid you not--two weeks ago my friend pointed to the water and said "is he supposed to be in there?" It was a gator--he was receiving alot of attention from guests. He circled around in front of the riverboat and trailed off towards thunder mountain. :cool:

raven

Originally posted by skeeter
I kid you not--two weeks ago my friend pointed to the water and said "is he supposed to be in there?" It was a gator--he was receiving alot of attention from guests. He circled around in front of the riverboat and trailed off towards thunder mountain. :cool:

No way! I hope someone pointed it out to a CM!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If it does drain again (isn`t it the 3rd time) lets hope for some good digital pictures (thanks for posting the old draining pix - imagine how detailed modern ones would be!)

There are a few more drained pix from the 80`s at Disneypix.com

1disneydood

Imagine the gators running up on land and chasing guests due to the fact that they have no water to swim in. :lol: I bet they'd LOVE turkey legs. ;)

Atta83

Originally posted by 1disneydood
Imagine the gators running up on land and chasing guests due to the fact that they have no water to swim in. :lol: I bet they'd LOVE turkey legs. ;)

I can just see it now a kid asks his mom "Mommy is that alligator fake? ", The mom replies back "Yes honey everything at Disney is fake." Kid goes up to gator and gets eaten..........:lookaroun :p :brick:

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by skeeter
The gator! I saw him last summer...wonder where he'll go if they drain it!

TheDisneyGirl02

Jeff D

I have digital photos somewhere form four or five years ago when the river was drianed. They had several trucks down there and they were doing alot of welding and replacing the sections of the track. Pretty cool to see. I remember it but I have to find the memery card the pictures are on. I was there a week and it was like that all week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom