Tokyo Splash Retheme

Disney Analyst

I wasn't implying that just because Splash Mountain is popular over here doesn't mean it's not possible that it could be changed like it did in the United States. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up going through, but I could imagine them picking a different theme. I believe that regardless Disney is going to keep trying to pressure OLC. Whether or not they'll give in, well, time will only tell.

That’s my question, does anyone know how it works? I have to assume Disney is the ultimate authority on their IP and its uses, and has licensing agreements with OLC? @marni1971 ??

Could something like Splash Mountain be under a contract that has to be renewed, and Disney could refuse to renew it, forcing them to redo the ride?

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
That’s my question, does anyone know how it works? I have to assume Disney is the ultimate authority on their IP and its uses, and has licensing agreements with OLC? @marni1971 ??

Could something like Splash Mountain be under a contract that has to be renewed, and Disney could refuse to renew it, forcing them to redo the ride?
From what I can tell its a case of "WDI isn't giving OLC enough money to replace their Splash"

MagicHappens1971

I mentioned this a while back (in a different thread) and was responded to by many users….

Disney most likely could choose not to renew the license of the SotS IPs, but it would put strain on their relationship with OLC for no real reason.

Brer Oswald

I mentioned this a while back (in a different thread) and was responded to by many users….

Disney most likely could choose not to renew the license of the SotS IPs, but it would put strain on their relationship with OLC for no real reason.
Wonder how the movie being public domain over there factors into this. I guess they could claim that there’s a distinction between Splash Mountain and SotS, but that would more or less go against their reasoning for the change over here.

SweetDuffy101

IMG_1905.jpeg

Splash Mountain Just received an updated description 2 days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpeg
    IMG_1904.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89

Gusey

Insiders, how safe do you think Splash in Tokyo is permanently after the universal panning of TBA in Florida?
Not an insider, but need to point out that TBA is not universally panned. People who have actually been on the ride in person have enjoyed the attraction. Disney's POV was not good, but others that have come out have actually showcased the ride better. Most notably the giant frog scene has 2 giant frogs that Disney's POV completely misses because they decided to just attach a camera to the log rather than have someone record it on a camera

Midwest Elitist

idk if this really means anything regarding the fate of the ride, but then again Disney themselves replaced the description for the ride with "Board a log and see classic characters with wonderful music" or some other vague synopsis that named no character in particular.
That's even more insulting, considering the origins of Br'er Rabbit. 🤦‍♂️

davis_unoxx

That's even more insulting, considering the origins of Br'er Rabbit. 🤦‍♂️
"Board a log boat and go off on a fun adventure! Be prepared for a 45-degree drop down a 16-meter high waterfall!"

Also on Youtube video attached, the video is playing generic music not found in ride. Disney is ridiculous with this. We all know they really don't care. Look at their merchandise that is definitely not good for environment and made by underpaid workers.

ThemeParkTraveller

"Board a log boat and go off on a fun adventure! Be prepared for a 45-degree drop down a 16-meter high waterfall!"

Also on Youtube video attached, the video is playing generic music not found in ride. Disney is ridiculous with this. We all know they really don't care. Look at their merchandise that is definitely not good for environment and made by underpaid workers.

Strangely, that is not an issue unique to Splash Mountain. They also inserted generic music in the Beauty and the Beast attraction overview for some reason.

MerlinTheGoat

Insiders, how safe do you think Splash in Tokyo is permanently after the universal panning of TBA in Florida?
Splash Mountain Archives has said that Tokyo's is safe and staying put.

Even if they did change it though, it's safe to assume it wouldn't be to TBA or anything PATF related. That movie flopped spectacularly in Japan and remains unpopular there to this day. But regardless, it really does sound like OLC is keeping Splash.

SweetDuffy101

First of all who said it was going to be Tiana in the first place? Second, the replacement needs to be an original attraction to Tokyo. That is the standard for OLC.

Brer Oswald

Not an insider, but need to point out that TBA is not universally panned. People who have actually been on the ride in person have enjoyed the attraction. Disney's POV was not good, but others that have come out have actually showcased the ride better. Most notably the giant frog scene has 2 giant frogs that Disney's POV completely misses because they decided to just attach a camera to the log rather than have someone record it on a camera
The issues with the ride are universal, even amongst the Disfluencers giving it praise. The story is unfittingly lame and juvenile for the ride system. Also the dead space (some excuses have been made, but they are rather weak). Most of the people excited by this attraction were underwhelmed. Some are showing it less than others because they want to save face.

First of all who said it was going to be Tiana in the first place? Second, the replacement needs to be an original attraction to Tokyo. That is the standard for OLC.
Say Disney does force OLC to retheme the ride. Whatever it is will turn up better than TBA, making TWDC look even worse for the hack job they did in the states. I don’t see how Disney can spin any of this in a way that makes WDW look good, so why bother?

Gusey

The issues with the ride are universal, even amongst the Disfluencers giving it praise. The story is unfittingly lame and juvenile for the ride system. Also the dead space (some excuses have been made, but they are rather weak). Most of the people excited by this attraction were underwhelmed. Some are showing it less than others because they want to save face.
Whilst it has issues, it is still not universally panned. I don't want to clog up another thread with people saying "Imagineering is dead" "Tiana's Sucks" etc. but some people have gone into Tiana's looking for any criticism to justify why Disney shouldn't have closed Splash, even though the complaints are petty make no sense. I've seen people complain that there is no story, but also too much story exposition. The story is too simple but also hard to understand what we are doing on the ride for. There is too much dead space between Tiana on the lift hill and the first band, but the same dead space in Splash was fine as it was building up the suspense. The criticism is not universal and the attraction is still decent, even if it doesn't live up to the nostalgia of Splash for some people

Brer Oswald

Whilst it has issues, it is still not universally panned. I don't want to clog up another thread with people saying "Imagineering is dead" "Tiana's Sucks" etc. but some people have gone into Tiana's looking for any criticism to justify why Disney shouldn't have closed Splash, even though the complaints are petty make no sense. I've seen people complain that there is no story, but also too much story exposition. The story is too simple but also hard to understand what we are doing on the ride for. There is too much dead space between Tiana on the lift hill and the first band, but the same dead space in Splash was fine as it was building up the suspense. The criticism is not universal and the attraction is still decent, even if it doesn't live up to the nostalgia of Splash for some people
The complaints are entirely valid (albeit not well articulated by some).

The difference with Splash’s “dead space” is that you had stuff to look at. There were tons of unique little critter houses, bridges, drinking water systems, clotheslines, etc. It made the mountain feel like a lived in community. Meanwhile, Tiana’s dead space is just fake grass shrouded in darkness. They could’ve kept the critter community, slightly redecorated to fit the bayou, but they didn’t.

As for the story, it’s just not very good. They give little purpose to the drops, and there’s no sense of adventure or danger for a thrill ride. You’re supposed to be gathering together critters, but most of them are already clustered together playing music. It’s a ride where nothing really happens to the characters. Nothing happens at all really besides the physical drops.

Gusey

The complaints are entirely valid (albeit not well articulated by some).

The difference with Splash’s “dead space” is that you had stuff to look at. There were tons of unique little critter houses, bridges, drinking water systems, clotheslines, etc. It made the mountain feel like a lived in community. Meanwhile, Tiana’s dead space is just fake grass shrouded in darkness. They could’ve kept the critter community, slightly redecorated to fit the bayou, but they didn’t.
If you watched Disney's nighttime POV, you probably missed the gardens with Louis hiding, Mama Odie's door and bottles before the first drop, elements of the bayou etc.

Brer Oswald

If you watched Disney's nighttime POV, you probably missed the gardens with Louis hiding, Mama Odie's door and bottles before the first drop, elements of the bayou etc.
I’ve watched multiple PoVs. I saw the lame reskins of the former critter garden, and Brer Bear’s former house. That’s not the dead space I’m talking about.

What I’m referring to are the replacements for the geese section, the porcupine and bunny children section, and the stretch of critter houses that would lead into the second drop. Most of this is just blank, dark space now. There are a Tiana AA and a Louis AA at the end of two sections, but that’s all there is to look at. A huge waste of what was formerly a very immersive fictional world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom