Tokyo Splash Retheme

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
It’s still not happening, as in no chance unless TWDC pays for it, period, which won’t happen.

Splash is due for updates even at TDL, but everyone can rest assured it won’t be rethemed anytime soon, if ever unless they’re persuaded it would be a monumental improvement like Space will be. Tokyo’s equivalent of Beyond Big Thunder is likely to be the park’s next focus post Space Mountain 2.0 with the Cosmic Rewind ride system.

Last edited:

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

It’s still not happening, as in no chance unless TWDC pays for it, period, which won’t happen.
Why wouldn't TWDC pay for it if they were that desperate to remove ALL Song of the South references from their parks.
Splash is due for updates even at TDL, but everyone can rest assured it won’t be rethemed anytime soon, if ever unless they’re persuaded it would be a monumental improvement like Space will be.
What kind of updates does Splash need? Are the animatronics aging and effects not working as well as they used to?

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Why wouldn't TWDC pay for it if they were that desperate to remove ALL Song of the South references from their parks.

What kind of updates does Splash need? Are the animatronics aging and effects not working as well as they used to?
Because they don’t own Tokyo Disneyland and there is virtually no overlap between the Tokyo parks and the US domestic audience.

TBA showed that the environments could be improved—a lot—despite it being a jumbled mess. Set changes plus updates to the lighting, swapping out AAs with modern figures, and sound upgrades would go a long way to make Splash a truly modern attraction. It’s still excellent in its current form, however.

Moth

I think the loss of the soundtrack and especially the finale scene would be a big loss.

Splash is a ride layout that needs a form of conflict to justify the big drop. Duffy would run into the same issue as Tiana where there's little to no conflict to justify the massive drop. Duffy would work best as a dark ride in classic fashion and not using the Splash layout.

If it were the OTHER non-brotherly Disney bear IP, I could see that working out, I dunno what story but... I see it.

Duffy feels more like a merch-sales driven choice versus logical and story sense approach. But a Duffy ride with no height limit would be a better choice than using Splash.

I don't see TDL Splash being changed for 5-10 years. I believe it's going to happen eventually, but OLC has bigger fish to fry.

C33Mom

Because they don’t own Tokyo Disneyland and there is virtually no overlap between the Tokyo parks and the US domestic audience.
Disney is definitely not as concerned with being PC overseas. We were at DLP last in 2022 and very surprised to see “Pocahontas Indian Village” was still the name of the kids playground.

Gusey

Disney is definitely not as concerned with being PC overseas. We were at DLP last in 2022 and very surprised to see “Pocahontas Indian Village” was still the name of the kids playground.
They changed the name of that playground now to Frontierland Playground

mickEblu

Whilst it has issues, it is still not universally panned. I don't want to clog up another thread with people saying "Imagineering is dead" "Tiana's Sucks" etc. but some people have gone into Tiana's looking for any criticism to justify why Disney shouldn't have closed Splash, even though the complaints are petty make no sense. I've seen people complain that there is no story, but also too much story exposition. The story is too simple but also hard to understand what we are doing on the ride for. There is too much dead space between Tiana on the lift hill and the first band, but the same dead space in Splash was fine as it was building up the suspense. The criticism is not universal and the attraction is still decent, even if it doesn't live up to the nostalgia of Splash for some people

As I said in another thread it’s really interesting how the “positive” reviews of TBA are all about two sentences long and can be summarized as “it’s not as bad as people said.” Where are the long posts listing everything people love about it? Instead we get posts like this trying to discredit the people leaving negative reviews by comparing reviews from different posters who aren’t articulating well. How are all of these posts like yours that I quoted always longer than any positive review I have read? TBA is a flop.

Last edited:

Gusey

As I said in another thread it’s really interesting how the “positive” reviews of TBA are all about two sentences long and can be summarized as “it’s not as bad as people said.” Where are the long posts listing everything people love about it? Instead we get posts like this trying to discredit the people leaving negative reviews by comparing reviews from different posters who aren’t articulating well. How are all of these posts like yours that I quoted always longer than any positive review I have read? TBA is a flop.
Why did you go back to a post I made back in June? At the time, I was getting fed up if all the nitpicking and anything positive said about the ride was being discredited as pandering to Disney or being a "shill".

mickEblu

Why did you go back to a post I made back in June? At the time, I was getting fed up if all the nitpicking and anything positive said about the ride was being discredited as pandering to Disney or being a "shill".

Oh, I had no idea it was from June but I'm not sure I would have felt any differently about that fact without the context you just provided.

Gusey

Oh, I had no idea it was from June but I'm not sure I would have felt any differently about that fact without the context you just provided.
It just feels like whatever ends up replacing Splash at Tokyo (what this thread is about) won't live up to people's nostalgia for Splash Mountain, so people will go into the attraction looking for faults. At the time, it felt like every single thread I was reading was being hijacked by people saying Tianas sucks so Imagineering is Dead and it's Charita Carter's fault etc. And I felt like I needed to share a different opinion

Also, I could write a multi-paragrah positive review about Tianas Bayou Adventure but this thread is not about Tiana's Bayou Adventure, it's about a potential Splash Mountain retheme at Tokyo Disneyland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom