Tokyo Splash Retheme

tanc

So it actually plays in the parks? Lol that's interesting. Tokyo really must just not care at all. I thought Disney would not want that at all.

PiratesMansion

So it actually plays in the parks? Lol that's interesting. Tokyo really must just not care at all. I thought Disney would not want that at all.
I'm sure they don't, but Disney can't really force Tokyo to do anything since they don't have any ownership or operational stake in the resort.

People have been reporting that the music is still playing in Florida too as of a few weeks ago.

tanc

After that concept art, I think I realize the reason Tokyo probably doesn't want to retheme. Critter Country was developed around Splash Mountain in Tokyo. So if they were to get rid of it, it would mess with the theming. I have a feeling that Tokyo might be getting an exclusive retheme or keep the original for this reason. Which means Tokyo would become a fierce competitor I think, especially with Fantasy Springs being added. It would look pretty bad if they added New Orleans influence to Critter Country. Disneyland can get away with it due to New Orleans Square, but unfortunately, I don't think Japan will. Regardless, I really wonder how Disney will feel if they end up making an exclusive retheme of Splash for Tokyo, they're probably already extremely disappointed that Tokyo is not playing along.

Robbiem

After that concept art, I think I realize the reason Tokyo probably doesn't want to retheme. Critter Country was developed around Splash Mountain in Tokyo. So if they were to get rid of it, it would mess with the theming. I have a feeling that Tokyo might be getting an exclusive retheme or keep the original for this reason. Which means Tokyo would become a fierce competitor I think, especially with Fantasy Springs being added. It would look pretty bad if they added New Orleans influence to Critter Country. Disneyland can get away with it due to New Orleans Square, but unfortunately, I don't think Japan will. Regardless, I really wonder how Disney will feel if they end up making an exclusive retheme of Splash for Tokyo, they're probably already extremely disappointed that Tokyo is not playing along.

Adventureland already has a New Orleans area where Pirates is located. It wouldn’t make any sense adding another to critter country.
I’d like Splash in Tokyo to stay as it is, I can’t really think of a suitable retheme without turning critter country into an entirely new land

BasiltheBatLord

The rumor was that OLC balked at PatF because it's an unknown property in Japan. If Tokyo ever gets a retheme (no idea if they will or not), it's likely to be a completely different property.

But yeah, retheming at TDL will require a complete re-working of Critter County, including re-theming the restaurant next door to Splash Mountain. For what it's worth I don't really see this as any different than whatever they're going to do to Critter Country at DL since that land is also pretty much totally themed to Splash.

It's rare for Tokyo to change or plus their attractions at all once they open. Many of the attractions at TDR are the exact same as they were at opening, even if the American equivalent has had changes since.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Tokyo will keep Splash because they're not interested in PATF, and as Disney has no ownership or operating stake in the resort, there's not anything Disney can do to force them to change it.

One more reason I would assume modern Disney regrets not investing in a stake of the property when they had the chance.

tanc

I really am starting to think it's due to the cost and theming and due to their lack of caring about SOTS. It just seems like a ridiculous project to do since it likely will affect the other lands too.

J4546

I think Tokyo will keep Splash the way it is. I also doubt they would retheme it to PatF because that property isnt well know in Japan. And also, the black population in Japan is like .05 percent. In USA, the black population is much much higher so it def makes sense to give a black princess a spot in a US park because you have a massive audience that will identify with her background.

tanc

Not a retheme, but it seems Tokyo's Splash is being changed to be more wet during summer.

Dear Prudence

Not a retheme, but it seems Tokyo's Splash is being changed to be more wet during summer.
they can take all the water from the DLR splash, honestly

cookiee_munster

ReviewTyme posted a video recently regarding this. I had no idea that it sat within such an elaborately themed area. You can kind of see why the park would be a little apprehensive about a retheme seeing as the ENTIRE area would need doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom