Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Actually they can't the space is now dedicated to a new entertainement building.

New entertainment building, meaning a new theatre/event space? The Studio Theatre is empty year-round though! That is until they use it for sneak previews of upcoming films...

Plus Chris who voices Mickey in the shorts, and the ride could easily reprise his role as Mickey since he voices Mickey in different languages like in the shorts that are set in a different country.

That's a good idea, but I'd rather have two bilingual spiels for the ride with Chris and Russi Taylor performing in English and Laurent Pasquier and Marie-Charlotte Leclaire (the actual French voice actors for Mickey and Minnie) performing in French.

--
But anyway, back to Tokyo Disney!

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

New entertainment building, meaning a new theatre/event space? The Studio Theatre is empty year-round though! That is until they use it for sneak previews of upcoming films...

That's a good idea, but I'd rather have two bilingual spiels for the ride with Chris and Russi Taylor performing in English and Laurent Pasquier and Marie-Charlotte Leclaire (the actual French voice actors for Mickey and Minnie) performing in French.

--
But anyway, back to Tokyo Disney!
Russi Taylor passed away before the ride opened, and look up the Mickey Mouse episodes set in France, Japan, and China to hear Chris’ Mickey voice in a different country.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Russi Taylor passed away before the ride opened, and look up the Mickey Mouse episodes set in France, Japan, and China to hear Chris’ Mickey voice in a different country.

Russi Taylor still managed to record her lines for Minnie for Runaway Railway before she passed away, according to Elyse Willis (lyricist for the Runaway Railway theme song):

I know Chris D. has voiced the international shorts (and he does it very well), but personally, I see his Mickey and Russi's Minnie as a package deal since they both star in the original version of the shorts. I'd rather preserve their original recording in English while their French counterparts do the French dub. Laurent and Marie-Charlotte don't do a bad job voicing Mickey and Minnie in French. I mean, Laurent has been voicing Mickey since 1999, while Marie-Charlotte has been voicing Minnie since 1992.

The Grand Inquisitor

I agree. They could just reuse the El Capitoon facade to blend in with Toon Studio or do a whole new facade entirely to fit in with the rest of the Production Courtyard. I actually imagined WDI giving MMRR in the Studios the Carthay Circle Theatre facade which would fit in with the Old Hollywood look of the area. It could go where Soarin' was supposed to go (near Studio Theatre/CineMagique and Stitch Live!). They just need to give the existing facades a new look so the Carthay Circle facade would blend in well.

View attachment 463780
View attachment 463781

It also helps that WDI already built a replica of the Carthay Circle Theatre facade in three parks (DHS, DCA, and SDR), so they just need to pull out the old plans and adapt it for the existing space.
Wait Walt Disney Studios was supposed to get Soarin? That's awesome. Now I really hope they get Pandora due to Flight of Passage being much better than Soarin.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Wait Walt Disney Studios was supposed to get Soarin? That's awesome. Now I really hope they get Pandora due to Flight of Passage being much better than Soarin.

Supposedly, they were planning to build one, but I'm not sure how far did that idea go in Imagineering. As @WDW83 said, the space is now occupied by a rehearsal space for performers, etc. Honestly, I think they attempted to put Soarin' in WDSP just to raise park capacity despite its lack of adherence to the park's theme. I'd rather place Soarin' in Discoveryland with the S.E.A. storyline found in Tokyo DisneySea, though DLP is very late to the flight motion simulator game already as their competitor theme parks have built one already (Europa Park's Voletarium come to mind).

That said, the flying theatres in Europe are more similar to Soarin' than Flight of Passage, so that ride might make its way to WDSP 2.0 if Pandora does come to Paris. Hope it doesn't come too late this time though!

Twilight_Roxas

Yeah, but the reason for Chris D to voice Mickey in the international episodes is because Disney wanted Mickey to sound a lot like the years Walt used to voice him.

deere839

img_5712.jpg

EVU8S2WU0AYqKPs

Source:http://www.themeparx.com/tokyo-disney-resort-expansion/ and http://aoiumi-blog.com/blog-category-25.html

BrianLo

Thanks, the show buildings and hotel are much easier to outline now. Some of the restaurant, village and non-show buildings are approximate (based on the different vantage point from the model).

img_5712.jpg

What I can't quite figure out is if the erected building I haven't outlined below Pan and beside the entry plaza will be an entirely back of house facility, or provide perhaps theatre 5/6 if Pan is getting a Flight of Passage-like system? It currently seems like a separate structure from the Pan show building.

ThemeParkTraveller

It looks like there will be a decent amount of space remaining in the top right of the Fantasy Springs plot. I wonder if that's all backstage, or if it could possibly be used for an expansion down the line.

IMDREW

Thanks, the show buildings and hotel are much easier to outline now. Some of the restaurant, village and non-show buildings are approximate (based on the different vantage point from the model).

View attachment 464547

What I can't quite figure out is if the erected building I haven't outlined below Pan and beside the entry plaza will be an entirely back of house facility, or provide perhaps theatre 5/6 if Pan is getting a Flight of Passage-like system? It currently seems like a separate structure from the Pan show building.
I’m curious how it will feel with that hotel being such a large part of the land. Ive got a feeling it would break the immersion. I know we’ve had hotels in parks before, but never in a fantasy-like IP-land surrounding right?

RandySavage

^ Key will be in how the hotel is executed (and the art and Disney's recent resort hotel track record don't make me optimistic).

DLP Hotel and MiraCosta serve splendidly as an architectural berm. Though those are both in urban-themed environments, unlike this. If the new fantasy hotel were designed so it felt like a romanticized, 18th century chateau on the outside, it could work.
Chateau Resort 1.png

But my pessimistic side says it will feel more like a gaint modern Disney(tm) resort with a "fantasy" ornament gimmick applied.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and it harmonizes with the land.

BrianLo

Based on the model from Imagineering, at least it seems a bit tucked away behind another visual berm with Arendelle, rock work and a forested berm around the Peter Pan Lagoon.

So while it is certainly "there", it's a good start that they aren't making it the focal point/weenie. More of a Grand Californian hopefully (which helps hedge if it sucks).

Compared to the concept art, where it is more prominently funnelled into.

Edit: In fact I've stared at the concept more and I think it is actually a rather poor representation of how prominent the hotel will be from the major pathways. I'm actually getting a bit skeptical if you can see it at all from the majority of the lands. I don't think you'll see around the Pan Lagoon nor the Arendelle village itself.

Apart from the rock work behind Arendelle, I think all those mounds will have trees on them in the final product.

EKicFsOX0AE9ean.jpeg

Last edited:

disneyC97

Considering how close this gets to the official hotels (including the toy story hotel that’s coming), It seems between the new hotel and the show buildings they’re hopefully blocking them all out.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

Considering how close this gets to the official hotels (including the toy story hotel that’s coming), It seems between the new hotel and the show buildings they’re hopefully blocking them all out.

That seems like it will be the case. And between the almost 360 degree berm and the very pronounced entrance, Fantasy Springs will be very self-contained and almost like a separate entity within TDS (similar to Galaxy's Edge at DL).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom