Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

andre85

Until people actually ride it and share HQ videos or their reviews, we will then have a better opinions on the new rides.

Even then though - I will say this. Rides like Guardians (Epcot), Flight of Passage, or even Pirates (Shanghai) look awful on video. But when experiencing it in person first hand, they're some of the best rides Disney has made to date.

Definitely a great point to keep in mind

ThemeParkTraveller

Until people actually ride it and share HQ videos or their reviews, we will then have better opinions on the new rides.

Even then though - I will say this. Rides like Guardians (Epcot), Flight of Passage, or even Pirates (Shanghai) look awful on video. But when experiencing it in person first hand, they're some of the best rides Disney has made to date.

Peter Pan will be especially prone to this as it's also in 3D, making the screen effects look even worse on video.

mickEblu

Until people actually ride it and share HQ videos or their reviews, we will then have better opinions on the new rides.

Although I can understand the sentiment, you don't need a clearer video to understand that the pacing and flow is bad. Or that they wasted money on 10 Elsa AA's when they could have used some of that to bring more life to the scenes. Or that they should have focused more on adventure and less on character interactions on a theme park ride. Im really concerned and confused with modern WDI. It seems that they have started taking the idea of "story telling" way too literally.

I think Shanghai POTC looks pretty great on video.

Nland316

How is seeing Elsa at the top of the mountain in a huge vista now a wow moment? Or her freezing the town? Or freezing Anna? Those are incredible moments. I agree some scenes (mainly the interior castle scenes) seem barren, but I don’t think the ride lacks wow-moments, and that’s even without the thawing scene being captured in either of the videos we have.

WOW moments in the same vain as the beast transformation, I’d say it’s pretty lacking. Only am using that comparison since it’s a very similar style of ride.

The examples you cited are cool, but it just didn’t really hit for me. While the ride does have neat effects, I think it just doesn’t come together as impressive as it should. I also think that partially the ride has to simmer a bit for me to really evaluate how I feel about it + experience it in person + watch a higher quality video. So it’s not quite a set in stone opinion, just some initial reactions.

The vibe just came across as a really well done FL dark ride — not an E-ticket like it was made out to sound like.

Still a great ride, but nothing jaw dropping.

ThemeParkTraveller

Although I can understand the sentiment, you don't need a clearer video to understand that the pacing and flow is bad. Or that they wasted money on 10 Elsa AA's when they could have used some of that to bring more life to the scenes. Or that they should have focused more on adventure and less on character interactions on a theme park ride.

That's all subjective though. It's interesting because the reviews out of Japan are incredibly positive compared to here. The elaborate, book report style re-telling is hitting all the notes for them.

TalkToEthan

you don't need a clearer video to understand that the pacing and flow is bad. Or that they wasted money on 10 Elsa AA's when they could have used some of that to bring more life to the scenes. Or that they should have focused more on adventure and less on character interactions

Oh absolutely I agree with your point in the big picture

((to be clear I’m not saying I necessarily agree with your specific criticisms of Frozen— maybe I do, maybe I don’t; I’m unsure….. but I fully believe one does not have to complete the 500 piece puzzle to understand the picture. If it’s missing 28 random pieces we close to always would know what the final picture looks like and thus can safely draw conclusions)

SplashJacket

We still havent seen the big drop right?
I think that's the missing scene. Also do we know if the snow monster is on this one?
We‘ve seen all of the ride’s drops.

1. First drop is backwards and small after Do you want to build a snowman rotating turntable
2. Second drop is forwards after coronation turntable
3. Third drop is backwards after Elsa freezes Anna’s heart
4. Fourth drop is forward after a turntable scene that we haven’t seen.

As far as I can tell, there’s one lift hill going up the mountain with Elsa, and that elevation gets removed from the backward and then forward drops that follow it.

In the Parks
No
We‘ve seen all of the ride’s drops.

1. First drop is backwards and small after Do you want to build a snowman rotating turntable
2. Second drop is forwards after coronation turntable
3. Third drop is backwards after Elsa freezes Anna’s heart
4. Fourth drop is forward after a turntable scene that we haven’t seen.

As far as I can tell, there’s one lift hill going up the mountain with Elsa, and that elevation gets removed from the backward and then forward drops that follow it.
So there is no BIG drop? I didn't really think there would be, but I didn't realize we'd lost that much elevation by that point, so I assumed there would be something like a POTC level.

SplashJacket

So there is no BIG drop? I didn't really think there would be, but I didn't realize we'd lost that much elevation by that point, so I assumed there would be something like a POTC level.
I believe the final drop is POTC sized, you just don’t notice how small POTC’s drop is since it’s dark.

PiratesMansion

I imagine what the average Japanese guest wants/expects out of these rides is a bit different from the American/European viewpoint predominantly seen here.

I also think people are too quick in general to form opinions from POVs (regardless of quality level) rather than from actually riding attractions.

To me, making a judgment based on a POV is an impression of an impression, but I know the internet largely has a different view on these things than I do. Ah well. In the meantime, I'll continue to avoid spoilers and hope that if/when I ever get back there, these rides will blow me away.

mickEblu

From people who have ridden. That includes cast members, their families, and I believe a small number of the general public who received invites.

I see. In other words people that are very excited to have been invited to be one of the first to ride or people that are connected to/work for Disney. Not to say that some of these people don’t genuinely love it but I wouldn’t really hang my hat on those reviews.

ThemeParkTraveller

I see. In other words people that are very excited to have been invited to be one of the first to ride or people that are connected to/work for Disney. Not to say that some of these people don’t genuinely love it but I wouldn’t really hang my hat on those reviews.

I agree, but the Japanese social media reactions from people watching the leaked video largely share the same sentiments. I think this might just be a cultural thing. The Japanese fans have always had a greater affinity to the characters, which explains why this storytelling format seems to work very well for them. And for better or worse, this probably means we are unlikely to see a major departure from this format for future dark rides there.

mickEblu

O
I agree, but the Japanese social media reactions from people watching the leaked video largely share the same sentiments. I think this might just be a cultural thing. The Japanese fans have always had a greater affinity to the characters, which explains why this storytelling format seems to work very well for them. And for better or worse, this probably means we are unlikely to see a major departure from this format for future dark rides there.

It’s possible I guess. I don’t known enough about Japanese culture or Japanese Disney fans. But I do know people in general and people would tend to give a review bonus points for the reasons mentioned in my last post.

So they want a passive ride filled with small character interactions vs something more adventurous and exciting with the same characters? I don’t think they made the ride like that because it’s what Japanese people want. The made it that way because WDI isn’t in on their A game. Characters would be present in any iteration of a Frozen ride.

SplashJacket

So they want a passive ride filled with small character interactions vs something more adventurous and exciting with the same characters?
This is a crazy unsubstantiated claim
I don’t think they made the ride like that because it’s what Japanese people want. The made it that way because WDI isn’t in on their A game.
If anything, this is WDI on their A game. When they’re allowed to do what they went how they want it. It seems you’re describing FEA, not this ride. Now FEA, now that’s a ride where WDI wasn’t allowed to be on their A-game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom