Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

The higher quality POV definitely makes me think my original point is slightly off

The new POV now makes me more lean towards the fact that the actual design of the show scenes is actually really good but almost like the ride vehicle is wrong

Like imagine if this was like a mystic manor

I know Disney is overdoing it with trackless dark rides but the forced nature of boxy show scenes on a boat ride compared to something like mystic manor I think is what’s sticking out as odd to me

I don't necessarily disagree, but there are cons to the trackless tech too. I like that these scenes feel intimate (each scene containing only one boat at a time) versus seeing a bunch of other ride vehicles in the same scene with you (and the large and empty floorspace this requires). And without an elevator like Rise, no elevation/terrain changes would be allowed, which is played to great effect here with the lift corresponding with riders ascending the mountain with Elsa.

darkridenjoyer

Having the three scenes to build up Let It Go is pretty smart honestly. If the ride system needed to be a boat to make that incline work, if the various song scenes prior to Let It Go needed to be shortened to give it more time, it was worth it overall. The only disappointing part of the Let It Go sequence is that there's a bit too much screenage in the palace proper, but the animation on the animatronic and the vocals from the JP Elsa are pretty great, a fine replacement for Idina Menzel.

ThemeParkTraveller

Having the three scenes to build up Let It Go is pretty smart honestly. If the ride system needed to be a boat to make that incline work, if the various song scenes prior to Let It Go needed to be shortened to give it more time, it was worth it overall. The only disappointing part of the Let It Go sequence is that there's a bit too much screenage in the palace proper, but the animation on the animatronic and the vocals from the JP Elsa are pretty great, a fine replacement for Idina Menzel.

I appreciate what they did here but at the same time, I can also see why some people think it feels barren with just one Elsa AA in each scene and the same snow/ice scenery everywhere. Then again, this is literally what the scenes looked like in the movie so not sure what else can be added.

Last edited:

WaltWiz1901

And without an elevator like Rise, no elevation/terrain changes would be allowed, which is played to great effect here with the lift corresponding with riders ascending the mountain with Elsa.
Not too steep, mind, but Skull Island at IoA is trackless and manages to work in a few elevation changes. Not sure if it's been experimented with Disney's LPS system internally, though

andre85

One big missed opportunity: For the hill scene with Elsa leading to her frozen palace, I REALLY wish she walked up the hill alongside you, like how she does in the movie, instead of standing awkwardly in place. It would have been an amazing effect and been a much better transition to the next scene. Yes, I realize this would have been a tricky effect to achieve, but it would have been AMAZING if they had pulled it off (not too much unlike the bouncing Br'er Rabbit in Splash Mountain).

ThemeParkTraveller

Not too steep, mind, but Skull Island at IoA is trackless and manages to work in a few elevation changes. Not sure if it's been experimented with Disney's LPS system internally, though

I think it helps that Skull Island is completely linear. Given how complex the ride profiles are for Disney's trackless attractions, I imagine elevation changes were deemed too unreliable other than via the elevator method in Rise. This could be solved in the future with a motion base to simulate vertical motion.

TalkToEthan

but Skull Island at IoA is trackless and manages to work in a few elevation changes.

Hmmmm???

If you’re talking about an appreciable change in elevation then I can’t agree with you at all here.

I’ve been on that Kong perhaps 5 times and I’m not saying those jeeps/transports travel on a semi perfect plane but nowhere do I remember going “uphill” or “downhill” along the pathway.

andre85

I think it helps that Skull Island is completely linear. Given how complex the ride profiles are for Disney's trackless attractions, I imagine elevation changes were deemed too unreliable other than via the elevator method in Rise. This could be solved in the future with a motion base to simulate vertical motion.

True! Though the potential issue with that is the effect being ruined by other vehicles in view (Indiana Jones has this issue to a small degree when you can see vehicles ahead on the bridge), though the obviously flat floor might also be a dead giveaway lol (though narrow corridors and darker lighting could help conceal this)

aleh021

Until people actually ride it and share HQ videos or their reviews, we will then have better opinions on the new rides.

Even then though - I will say this. Rides like Guardians (Epcot), Flight of Passage, or even Pirates (Shanghai) look awful on video. But when experiencing it in person first hand, they're some of the best rides Disney has made to date.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom