Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

the.dreamfinder

Again, Who leaked it. You know the higher ups are going to be furious about the leak, and this is why i keep my reviews discreet.

20,000 or more cast members and guests are constantly being reminded to not leak the area.
OLC should have handed these out as a condition for riding the attractions.

co10064

Premium Member
A few thoughts:

The scale and the animatronics for this ride are undoubtedly a step above Frozen Ever After. But the pacing just seems... off.

I think the "story" of FEA (summer snow day) works much better for the IP and in the context of a ride. In FEA, you can enjoy the scenes for what they are without having to know every beat of the film. I feel like it would be harder to enjoy this attraction if I hadn't seen Frozen.

But perhaps that's just the nature of a book report ride.

co10064

Premium Member
One of the things I think works well about Frozen Ever After is that the characters are speaking directly to us and including us in on the action.

Based on what I'm seeing, that doesn't seem to be the case here(?). I would definitely be interested to see/hear a translation.

Nland316

My Review:

I think it is very clear to me, through watching the leaked POV, that the ride system noticeably adds to the overall experience — something that cannot be judged off of video.

I know this is true for every ride, but for some reason it just seemed to standout a bit more for me here.

I won’t lie — I finished the video feeling pretty underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong.. the set pieces and animatronics are beautiful, and overall I would say the ride is actually extremely solid and well done.. But, it doesn’t scream E-Ticket to me or have any WOW moments that I was really looking for as a step up compared to FEA.

I do agree that a lot of the scenery and staging, despite being nice-looking, felt barren and not really well composed.

It doesn’t really come down to the number of animatronics or anything like that, it’s just that the show scenes didn’t feel alive and active — which I view as being more of a design flaw. I would argue that MMRR does a better job of filling in its space appropriately than this attraction does.

The attraction definitely suffers from similar issues to BATB. This just indicates more of a WDI problem in how they design their attractions — since we know budget isn’t of issue here at TDR.

Overall, everything’s definitely solid — just nothing that stands out as boundary pushing or next level. Can’t wait for higher quality POV’s to be available to get better looks!

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
It is admirable to try to make recapture the way Splash Mountain essentially took a Fantasyland dark ride book report and blew it up to terrific e-ticket proportions. But so far Tokyo’s BatB and now Frozen don’t quite succeed the same way.

They should have studied Paris’s Pirates more than Shanghai’s.
Splash immediately came to mind as well for me!

Supersnow84

I also have to lean towards from the video that the sheer scale is likely to blow the others out of the water but HK’s seems to flow better and have the better story pacing

Like I said I’d rather do a wonky splash mountain than a perfect executed generic fantasyland dark ride so Tokyo will likely win out but considering Duffy put it as his best out of the 4 I am slightly worried for the overall quality of the 4 rides as a collective as this doesn’t seem like it’ll even end up in my top 3 of DisneySea rides

tanc

I feel like it's very difficult to base an opinion off a low quality video. I was one of the people who questioned beauty and the beast, but when I rode it in person, it is simply impossible to compare it to a video. I consider that BATB ride my new favorite modern attraction, it's just a masterpiece. I have a feeling it's the same thing with these attractions.

waltography

my biggest issue with the ride (from what I've seen) is the pacing. Why is let it go the length of three scenes. This part of the ride was beautifully done but doesn’t work well with the entirety of the ride. This is just one example of bad pacing
Agreed. Keeping my mind open to this whenever I make it over to Tokyo one of these days (hello from HKDL currently!), but I'm concerned OLC is spending the money in the wrong places with Fantasy Springs. A plethora of animatronics alone doesn't necessarily make a good ride, and here it's making a pretty weak scene breakdown only tolerable for me. (For the record, I've also been disappointed with BatB as well for this same reason, though at least BatB has the Transformation scene as a true wow moment.)

Frozen Ever After (HKDL version) feels a little better paced to me, surprisingly, since it keeps things moving forward at a relatively brisk pace. Wish there were a happy medium between FEA and FJ.

Agreed. Keeping my mind open to this whenever I make it over to Tokyo one of these days (hello from HKDL currently!), but I'm concerned OLC is spending the money in the wrong places with Fantasy Springs. A plethora of animatronics alone doesn't necessarily make a good ride, and here it's making a pretty weak scene breakdown only tolerable for me. (For the record, I've also been disappointed with BatB as well for this same reason, though at least BatB has the Transformation scene as a true wow moment.)

Frozen Ever After (HKDL version) feels a little better paced to me, surprisingly, since it keeps things moving forward at a relatively brisk pace. Wish there were a happy medium between FEA and FJ.
i honestly feel like both FEA and FJ do a pretty good job in reflecting the identities of the respective parks, HKDL's version is quaint, charming and intimate, while TDR is advanced, intricate and on a way larger scale.

SplashJacket

it doesn’t scream E-Ticket to me or have any WOW moments that I was really looking for as a step up compared to FEA.
How is seeing Elsa at the top of the mountain in a huge vista not a wow moment? Or her freezing the town? Or freezing Anna? Those are incredible moments. I agree some scenes (mainly the interior castle scenes) seem barren, but I don’t think the ride lacks wow-moments, and that’s even without the thawing scene being captured in either of the videos we have.

Last edited:

Glad to have my post outdated immediately 😆
Youre Welcome Maui GIF

Supersnow84

The higher quality POV definitely makes me think my original point is slightly off

The new POV now makes me more lean towards the fact that the actual design of the show scenes is actually really good but almost like the ride vehicle is wrong

Like imagine if this was like a mystic manor

I know Disney is overdoing it with trackless dark rides but the forced nature of boxy show scenes on a boat ride compared to something like mystic manor I think is what’s sticking out as odd to me

malice

I don’t care to watch POVs until after I’ve ridden something but reading the discourse here is just as entertaining

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom