Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

BasiltheBatLord

Am I the only one who thinks Super Nintendo World doesn't look good? I see everybody constantly praising it, but I think it looks super cheap and plasticky. It gives grand-scale Toy Story Land for me. And I say this as a big Nintendo fanboi.
As someone who has experienced it several times in-person: my feeling is that it's hit and miss. The highlight of the land is without a doubt the outside portions and the overall visuals of the land. It's actually pretty breathtaking when you first come out of the pipe and see everything.

MK is mildly entertaining and has a great queue but yeah, imo the ride experience itself is a bit of a let down. Just because the first thing I think of when I think of Mario Kart is a car going fast and we don't get that. Plus I think the AR is destined to age badly and become viewed as a gimmick.

The Yoshi ride (not coming to USH) just needed an extra show scene or two to be worth being more than a one-and-done. But it doesn't.

The sleeper hit of the land is the Toad restaurant. The food is actually good with a lot of variety in the menu and the interior is very well themed and bigger than it looks on the outside.

Animaniac93-98

The sleeper hit of the land is the Toad restaurant. The food is actually good with a lot of variety in the menu and the interior is very well themed and bigger than it looks on the outside.

I was surprised to hear it seats over 340 people. You'd never think that looking at a few pictures or clips online.

yeti

Update on the construction of the expansion

Well the hotel still looks like a wedding cake but all things considered this is my most anticipated theme park build right now.

Is there any word on when this thing opens next year?

Smugpugmug

Well the hotel still looks like a wedding cake but all things considered this is my most anticipated theme park build right now.

Is there any word on when this thing opens next year?
Right now it's just "spring 2024" but I'm anxiously awaiting the news as well. I'm tentatively thinking of going to Japan next year and I don't want to book anything until I know I'll be there to see Fantasy Springs.

kamisairokaru

Well the hotel still looks like a wedding cake

If you not stayed in MiraCosta and had the time to sit and stare at it for a few hours, you'll not realise that 90% of the effect is paint. You take away the trompe-l'œil and bag-render and the whole thing is a huge flat concrete wall with hundreds of identical windows in it. Heck even the majority of shutters are painted on.
I'm sure this whole thing will perk up dramatically in the last few months before opening.

RandySavage

FhKwJZFakAE73lf.jpg

IMO, only a complete razing and the construction of a totally new design (bring Wing Chao & Ahmad Jafari out of retirement), one worthy of the DisneySea standard, could perk this disaster up.

It is the worst example of Deluxe-level hotel architecture Disney or Universal has ever built, and because it is integral to the new land (which looks the opposite of this hotel in quality) it means Fantasy Springs Hotel maybe the biggest face-plant in the history of WDI/Disney, certainly since WDSP opened. And there is no fixing it.

MiraCosta (easily one of the most beautiful and best-themed hotels on the planet) on the opposite side reminds everyone of the stark difference in the capabilities & qualities of the leadership & designers behind these two polar opposite hotels.

A (4327).jpg

UNCgolf

It is the worst example of Deluxe-level hotel architecture Disney or Universal has ever built

I don't think it looks worse than the Riviera. Not saying it looks better, either, but the Riviera is a generic hotel/condo tower you might find in any number of random places.

So maybe this is just Disney's new way forward for all hotels.

Last edited:

OzAn

View attachment 704333

IMO, only a complete razing and the construction of a totally new design (bring Wing Chao & Ahmad Jafari out of retirement), one worthy of the DisneySea standard, could perk this disaster up.

It is the worst example of Deluxe-level hotel architecture Disney or Universal has ever built, and because it is integral to the new land (which looks the opposite of this hotel in quality) it means Fantasy Springs Hotel maybe the biggest face-plant in the history of WDI/Disney, certainly since WDSP opened. And there is no fixing it.

MiraCosta (easily one of the most beautiful and best-themed hotels on the planet) on the opposite side reminds everyone of the stark difference in the capabilities & qualities of the leadership & designers behind these two polar opposite hotels.

View attachment 704334

I wouldn't say a complete razing and reconstruction is necessary. At least the current building is an adaptive shape, and with its light palette color and nominal decorative structure, it is literally a 'blank canvas'. Which means in the future it can be rethemed into totally different design through repainting and adding new ornamental exterior without internal structural changes. Those swirly things look like they can be easily removed.

COVID, Tokyo Olympics with no tourism, 40% depreciation in yen couldn't have come at a worse time for OLC. I am surprised they still have cash for this massive expansion so would not be surprised costs had to be cut in some places. And if there had to be, I guess better the hotel for now than the rides and land themselves. At least the hotel can be easily "plussed-up' in the future by repainting and adding new decorative exterior, and I hope they do come around to do it when circumstances get better. An underbuilt ride is very difficult to fix in the future.

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't say a complete razing and reconstruction is necessary. At least the current building is an adaptive shape, and with its light palette color and nominal decorative structure, it is literally a 'blank canvas'. Which means in the future it can be rethemed into totally different design through repainting and adding new ornamental exterior without internal structural changes. Those swirly things look like they can be easily removed.
The problem isn’t that there’s not more stuff glued onto the box.

Animaniac93-98

So maybe this is just Disney's new way forward for all hotels.

With how Disney operates these days it wouldn't surprise me if these Deluxe boxes somehow cost more than all the Lodges (Wilderness, Animal Kingdom, Grand Californian) did, even when adjusting for inflation.

I guess the last nice looking Deluxe hotel was HKDL's Explorer's Lodge, which owes a lot to its predecessors.

SplashJacket

With how Disney operates these days it wouldn't surprise me if these Deluxe boxes somehow cost more than all the Lodges (Wilderness, Animal Kingdom, Grand Californian) did, even when adjusting for inflation.

I guess the last nice looking Deluxe hotel was HKDL's Explorer's Lodge, which owes a lot to its predecessors.
Explorer’s lodge is fantastic. To me, the Grand Californian stands out as the worst lodge by far

SpaceMountainUK

If you not stayed in MiraCosta and had the time to sit and stare at it for a few hours, you'll not realise that 90% of the effect is paint. You take away the trompe-l'œil and bag-render and the whole thing is a huge flat concrete wall with hundreds of identical windows in it. Heck even the majority of shutters are painted on.
I'm sure this whole thing will perk up dramatically in the last few months before opening.
I don't think this is the case, the scaffolding has come down already this happens as areas wrap up they are not coming back months later to build huge scaffolding all over the façade to paint it with trompe-l'oeil the cost of that alone would make no sense. If there was a plan for something like that it would have happened as they finished each area.

It is a bizarre hotel you can see from the photos online take looking at it from the air on the park side that it almost looks like it has been designed to be inward facing so any architectural interest was added there and the facades facing outward are extremely plain. Really awful color choices too! I wish they aged it a bit it looks too 99 cent store knock off Barbie castle right now.

jrhwdw

Seeing onTwitter that Parts of TDL's Central Plaza will ofter Upchargeas for Parades when TDL turns 40.....

With the Upcharge Section comes Full Power(Dancers Return) Parades I would Hope!!!!!

SweetDuffy101

Oh everyone is not happy about it, Especially Dreamlights. Why bother paying an area that you have to wait for hours just to get in the front and,

may I remind you on how horrible they handled DPA on Believe! Sea of Dreams people had to wait hours to get a good spot, the management is disgraceful for doing this and don't get me started on those not so magical cast members on that area at night. They have seat numbers on theater and they couldn't manage to put a designated seat number on viewing spots during spectacular shows.

How did they decide on this, Yes I am ranting. Like girl (TEAMTDR)make up your mind.
You could have just put DPA on Theatrical shows like MMMW/BBB the ones that have proper seats.

or heres an idea why dont they make a regular daytime show and make it a DPA area in which they would make profit.

Sometimes let me rephrase that to ALWAYS OLC doesn't really care about the core fanbase anymore heck Universal Studios Japan/Lagunaisia/Yomiuriland/Haustenbosch. Has better offerings than Tokyo Disney Resort and as a
local,Foreign tourists can always put the excuse of
"They always refurbish "the park card.

Like TDR was once infamous for their extravagant shows now they have this lame excuse to charge everyone. the saddest part is the worlds most beautiful theme park has the worst entertainment lineup in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom