Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

bsod

Was the new hotel supposed to be Art Nouveau? Because from the concept photos I thought that's what's going to happen.

Their first mistake was those horrible sliding windows like you'd see in my house. It's so cheap-looking and you see many of them.

cjkeating

View attachment 675294View attachment 675295

In contrast to how the non-hotel parts of the land are coming along, the horridness of that hotel design/execution is (almost) beyond words.

As every construction photo/video update has been confirming, the hotel is completely inept in terms of its application & understanding of historic Architecture (required when creating a backdrop to a Fairytale setting), top-tier placemaking & production design. It looks like something you'd find at Legoland Shenzen; something created based on a random hotel-builder's vague memory of playing with a Barbie Palace set as a kid grafted onto an average modern-excrement-hotel-style building. I wouldn't be surprised if it's by the same embarrassments-to-the-profession that brought us The Riviera (or someone related to Chiger). But instead of being out-of-sight, out-of-mind, this thing will form an unignorable backdrop to an entire land in the best themed park in the world, forever marring this great achievement.

The hotel's failure to acknowledge/represent any historic precedent for a "Fairy Tale" theme, i.e., 18-19th century European styles, in the faithful way that MiraCosta does is an observable, objective fact. Some can like what they see, but they can't deny that fact. It isn't even faithful to stylized, animated hybrid styles you'd find in films like Tangled & Frozen. And it doesn't even attempt to feign historic materials on its walls or roofs.

Obviously, the mindset and talents that brought the brilliant Mira Costa into existence are long since departed from the OLC and Walt Disney Company, but this tripe is inexcusable and indefensible. It's much worse (for its criticial site) than anything I could have feared or imagined when the project was announced. The hotel concept art was iffy from the outset, but the reality, as we are seeing it is a theme park design nightmare. This is the equivalent of the "Mediterranean" Orlando Four Seasons being built in place of the Mira Costa. How could they get something this big and expensive and important so wrong? Are there no quality gatekeepers left at WDI, OLC or TWDC? Is this on Bob Weis? It angers me that the clueless, tasteless Philistine dunces responsible for this hotel are/will be proud of this massive, uncorrectible turd they've laid.
Oh wow. I thought the “good” park facing section looked bad. I didn’t realise the rest of the hotel was so much worse.

cjkeating

It's funny how this hotel has its small park facing section on the left with balconies and some mild depth... and then a fake facade section on the right.

I do think the hotel is overall kind of atrocious, but maybe the land facing section is mediocre atrocious.

Here's the new Efteling Grand Hotel for comparison

View attachment 675353

View attachment 675354
I am a bit worried that the hotel is going to over power the entrance to Efteling but compared to the TDS hotel it’s a certified masterpiece.

J4546

I agree so far the hotel aesthetic is less than great but the land looks fantastic. Weird how they can build such a great looking land but the hotel looks so meh

etc98

View attachment 675294View attachment 675295

In contrast to how the non-hotel parts of the land are coming along, the horridness of that hotel design/execution is (almost) beyond words.

As every construction photo/video update has been confirming, the hotel is completely inept in terms of its application & understanding of historic Architecture (required when creating a backdrop to a Fairytale setting), top-tier placemaking & production design. It looks like something you'd find at Legoland Shenzen; something created based on a random hotel-builder's vague memory of playing with a Barbie Palace set as a kid grafted onto an average modern-excrement-hotel-style building. I wouldn't be surprised if it's by the same embarrassments-to-the-profession that brought us The Riviera (or someone related to Chiger). But instead of being out-of-sight, out-of-mind, this thing will form an unignorable backdrop to an entire land in the best themed park in the world, forever marring this great achievement.

The hotel's failure to acknowledge/represent any historic precedent for a "Fairy Tale" theme, i.e., 18-19th century European styles, in the faithful way that MiraCosta does is an observable, objective fact. Some can like what they see, but they can't deny that fact. It isn't even faithful to stylized, animated hybrid styles you'd find in films like Tangled & Frozen. And it doesn't even attempt to feign historic materials on its walls or roofs.

Obviously, the mindset and talents that brought the brilliant Mira Costa into existence are long since departed from the OLC and Walt Disney Company, but this tripe is inexcusable and indefensible. It's much worse (for its criticial site) than anything I could have feared or imagined when the project was announced. The hotel concept art was iffy from the outset, but the reality, as we are seeing it is a theme park design nightmare. This is the equivalent of the "Mediterranean" Orlando Four Seasons being built in place of the Mira Costa. How could they get something this big and expensive and important so wrong? Are there no quality gatekeepers left at WDI, OLC or TWDC? Is this on Bob Weis? It angers me that the clueless, tasteless Philistine dunces responsible for this hotel are/will be proud of this massive, uncorrectible turd they've laid.
What's crazy is how different the original concept art (that they are still showing in the video they just released), looks totally different from the finished product. They definitely knew from the start that there were going to be some blank walls and bad angles, and the concept art is framed to hide them. But even then you can see so many places where they cheaped out. The whole thing looks totally different, but here are just a few places I noticed that make such a big difference.

tokyo-disneysea-expansion-new-hotel-concept-art-1024x564.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 1.29.32 PM.jpeg

Both red sections have windows in the concept art, and are blank walls in the actual hotel. The yellow section had windows all the way down to ground level. In the actual hotel, there's windows on the upper story, but a blank wall below. And the roofline of the main tower, in blue, is totally different, and much more simplified.

This hotel is honestly one of the ugliest things Disney has built imo, and that's saying something.

IMDREW

What's crazy is how different the original concept art (that they are still showing in the video they just released), looks totally different from the finished product. They definitely knew from the start that there were going to be some blank walls and bad angles, and the concept art is framed to hide them. But even then you can see so many places where they cheaped out. The whole thing looks totally different, but here are just a few places I noticed that make such a big difference.

View attachment 675620View attachment 675621

Both red sections have windows in the concept art, and are blank walls in the actual hotel. The yellow section had windows all the way down to ground level. In the actual hotel, there's windows on the upper story, but a blank wall below. And the roofline of the main tower, in blue, is totally different, and much more simplified.

This hotel is honestly one of the ugliest things Disney has built imo, and that's saying something.
*to name a few differences. There are many more cuts.

SweetDuffy101

Tokyo Disney Resort is Teasing a winter special event at Tokyo Disneyland. Disney story Beyond and will be themed to "Haunted Mansion" .

The website is already up but its in Japanese.

It looks like Minnie Mouse special winter Event still yet to be announced for winter might get some details within the upcoming weeks.

of Course the classic ToT Overlay will make a return(Curse of Shiriki, Level 13 and Unlimited.)

Castle Cake Apologist

high quality GIF

It'd fit in better as a backdrop of Super Nintendo Land, and even if that was to happen, I imagine Universal would not have put out a hotel that looked so terrible.

Am I the only one who thinks Super Nintendo World doesn't look good? I see everybody constantly praising it, but I think it looks super cheap and plasticky. It gives grand-scale Toy Story Land for me. And I say this as a big Nintendo fanboi.

sedati

Am I the only one who thinks Super Nintendo World doesn't look good? I see everybody constantly praising it, but I think it looks super cheap and plasticky. It gives grand-scale Toy Story Land for me. And I say this as a big Nintendo fanboi.
Having just watched a recent walkthrough from Japan, the backdrop murals are a cause for concern as the segments can be clearly seen and look like they won’t age well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom