Tokyo Disney Sea New Fantasmic

imagineer boy

Original Poster

Buried20KLeague

I would have been shocked if it DIDN'T blow DL and WDW's out of the water.

That park is just amazing. That whole resort is just amazing. It sets the standard for theme parks for the whole planet.

Edit to add: The video tech on the hat needs to be applied to the earth barge, STAT.

Jerm

I was just on my way over to post this! I could do without some of the stuff before the Fantasmic! theme kicks in, but yeah it is amazing. I still like Disneyland's the best but that show is built for a HUGE crowd!

Rose Marie

This is quite amazing! Very much a hybrid of WOC and Fantasmic. It uses physical props and actors like Fant, while having projection screens and the hat weave the loose thread of a story like WOC does. I'd say it was more like WOC because of there not being a definite narrative and because of how many character pieces there were. Cinderealla's was absolutely beautiful. :eek:

What a great show. Huge congratulations to Steve Davison and his team there. It's an excellent show fit for the best Disney park.

That was reaally good!!! But there's aspects of each I like. I like this one because of the updated tech and all the different barges. I like the Disneyland one for having Peter Pan and Captain Hook in it and the BEST dragon. But my favorite is the Hollywood Studios version. If they added some different to the set other that painted on forest, got a new dragon, updated the Pochahontas scene and got all new World of Color fountains/procectors and new barges we would have the PERFECT Fantasmic!:cool: (yeah I kow that would never happen)

Neverland

I'd expect nothing less from Tokyo. The sad part is, we could easily have nice things like this if TDO was just willing to spend some of the hundreds of millions of dollars they profit each year. :brick: WDW could be just as nice as TDL if TDO wanted it to be.

DisneyNut2007

I'd expect nothing less from Tokyo. The sad part is, we could easily have nice things like this if TDO was just willing to spend some of the hundreds of millions of dollars they profit each year. :brick: WDW could be just as nice as TDL if TDO wanted it to be.

Stop blaming and assuming things, you nihilistic dope! :mad:

You know darn well that TDO does spend money and that they don't have as much power as you think, you ungrateful twit! :mad:

Congratulations on finally joining my "Ignore" list, as punishment for being overly-negative and asking for too much.

imagineer boy

Original Poster

I'm not quite so sure, because TDL has a lot of generous money given by the Oriental Land Company. But I still think TDO could come close.

FigmentJedi

They're kind of different beasts really. That said, Tokyo's show is fantastic. And I love what they did with the new animation for the villains. Trapping Mickey in the mirror makes a lot more sense then some vague "controlling his mind" dialogue.

Neverland

So why not have WDW or Disneyland also receive generous money? Only from Disney and not the OLC.

TWDC is the world's most profitable mass media conglomerate; there should absolutely be enough to vastly improve all of the parks. I believe the revenue from their FY 2010 was $38 billion. Disney is a very, very large company that makes an ungodly amount of money each year; they should put more of that money into bettering their product, at least resort-wise.

Condorman

TWDC is the world's most profitable mass media conglomerate; there should absolutely be enough to vastly improve all of the parks. Disney is a very, very large company that makes an ungodly amount of money each year; they should put more of that money into bettering their product, at least resort-wise.

Because unlike the OLC, Disney has a dozen other aspects to finance, i.e. movie, television, stage, cruise, online divisions, etc. Are you under the impression that every dollar WDW makes goes right back into WDW? It doesn't, and it shouldn't. Why must TWDC spend $1 billion every year on WDW? No respectable business would do that. WDW already receives more annual occupancy than any other park worldwide. Why do people keep insisting that they blow 10-25% of their annual profit on e-tickets and popcorn? Some people really need to graduate from business school before they make juvenile, pie-in-the-sky, summer day wishes. Geez. :brick:

DisneyFan 2000

Because unlike the OLC, Disney has a dozen other aspects to finance, i.e. movie, television, stage, cruise, online divisions, etc. Are you under the impression that every dollar WDW makes goes right back into WDW? It doesn't, and it shouldn't. Why must TWDC spend $1 billion every year on WDW? No respectable business would do that. WDW already receives more annual occupancy than any other park worldwide. Why do people keep insisting that they blow 10-25% of their annual profit on e-tickets and popcorn? Some people really need to graduate from business school before they make juvenile, pie-in-the-sky, summer day wishes. Geez. :brick:

First off, each division can more than pull its own weight. Why not let the parks enjoy the profits they gained for, I don't know... say, more investments in the parks? Second, it's not as if OLC is some "juvenile, pie-in-the-sky, summer day wishes" company (as you so nicely put it by the way). So is it really such a big fantasy to expect just as much (or, almost as much) from the ACTUAL company that claims to set the standard for entertainment? From what I gathered, the OLC IS a respectable company so your whole point is lost on me.

TP2000

I still like Disneyland's the best but that show is built for a HUGE crowd!

DisneySea also has a very, very different setup for audience viewing. That lagoon has viewing that is almost all standing "in the round" on practically all sides of the lagoon, and some viewing terraces at very high levels looking down on the lagoon below. It's very different from the amphitheater half-circle that the Disneyland or DHS seat their audience in at the water level or slightly above.

That said, this DisneySea version of Fantasmic! looks wonderul. A great blend of new technology and great visuals for that unique lagoon setup!

Absolutely amazing!! I really love the Ursula scene and the entire villains set towards the end. I can never get sick of the WDW Fantasmic but it definitely does need some sort of a change.

kap91

I have to say I'm not as big of a fan of this new version as I thought I'd be. Maybe it's just because it's a video and I'm such a fan of the versions in the states but it doesn't seem to have any of the magic of the other fantasmics. The majority of the show is projections (even moreso than Florida) the live elements are limited to a couple characters trapped on top of two square feet of hat and the rest continually dancing in circles on albeit really nice floats. Oh and they do have a dragon neck at least. But where's the magic? Where is Peter pan flying on a pirate ship fighting captain hook or a full scale war breaking out on stage? Where's Mickey appearing spontaneously and disappearing without an obvious giant hat that he could clearly hide in? All the special effects in fantastic are part of what makes it so cool. There really aren't the same kind of things in this version Not to mention that they pretty much completely trampled the original score. The new additions aren't consistent at all. It sounds like they couldn't afford to write a complete new score so they wrote a couple parts and then cut in parts of the original music when they ran out of money. (which I'm sure is not the case it just sounds like it). The new additions would sound great on their own but not conflicting with the old theme. What theme is supposed to be the main one of the show is made extremely unclear. While I admit like certain ideas present in the new version (Mickey being trapped in the mirror, better fountains, floating kaa, more fireworks) I just really wished they would've abandoned calling it Fantasmic and incorporating any of the original music and story elements. As a water parade and spectacle with no substantial story it could've been great but as a show that can't decide if it wants to tell a story or just relive movie moments ala woc it doesn't work---at least in my opinion. Still, visually it's a spectacle and that has to count for something. It's still a show that people will enjoy for that reason- heck even I'd enjoy seeing it is person...I'm just not sure what they were thinking.

Neverland

Around 25% of that $38 billion revenue I mentioned came from the parks, and WDW is their most visited resort. I am quite aware that WDW is also the number one tourist destination in the world, but you'd think that they'd take pride in that and keep it a little nicer. Make it worthy of that title. At least do maintenance on what's already there. Letting something grow stale or fall to pieces because tourists don't know any better is shameful. I know WDW makes money as-is, but I thought Disney was supposed to be a more heritage-rich and proud company than that. Companies are driven by greed, and yes, I wish Disney wasn't like that too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom