To Infinity and Beyond: The Future of Walt Disney World

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywoodland
Sunset Boulevard

~~~~~~
"The Golden Mickeys" at the Theater of the Stars
hollywood_studios___beauty_and_the_beast_show_by_lando_sierra-d79ascm.jpg

With Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage making the move to the Walt Disney Theatre, I'd take the opportunity to give the Theater of the Stars the make-over it so richly deserves. First and foremost, I'd completely enclose the theater; which would improve technical, theatrical and performance aspects of the show. With an enclosed theater, the lighting is better and crisper, weather is no longer a factor--an enclosed theater just creates a better production. I'd also completely change the theater's exterior to look like something akin to the grand movie palaces prevalent during the Golden Age of Hollywood. It'd look even more opulent sitting atop the beautiful water feature the current theater has.

TOTS.jpg

Now again, with Beauty and the Beast now playing at the Walt Disney Theatre, that begs the question: what will the Theater of the Stars play host to now? Well, I have an idea. I thought to myself, "Hey, the park wouldn't be a tribute to Hollywood without having a big awards ceremony." Well, now we've got just that, in the form of The Golden Mickeys!

The Golden Mickeys logo.png

disney-cruise-line-golden-mickeys-4.jpg

The premise of this show is that guests are attending an awards show highlighting achievements by various Disney animated films in several different categories, such as romance, villains, heroes, comedy, etc.; represented, of course, through some of the iconic songs to come from the Disney movies. And much like the shows at the Walt Disney Theatre, a live orchestra is on hand down in the pit to accompany the singers.

Right from the get-go, the feeling of being at an awards ceremony hits you. The entrance ramp that leads up to the theater is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There's no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up a few feet away from the entrance doors. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera. An announcement is made that Rona Rivers, famed red carpet hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show. A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her. As the special guests (aka, us) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what "designer" line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other "red carpet" questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.

However, just as the music tunes up and the performance is about to begin, there’s a commotion backstage. The master of ceremonies has failed to appear, so a reluctant young stage manager named Benson (who, in this version of the show, is a gender-fluid role) must take over hosting duties. The show follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in his/her role.

The show does not highlight one movie, but many. In fact, here is a list of movies and songs that will be represented, and what "award category" they will be part of. The Disney's Hollywoodland take on The Golden Mickeys would be a blend of both the Wonder and Dream versions, with a few new scenes thrown in for good measure.
  • Opening: "Tonight is the Night"
  • History Lesson (Scene with Benson & someone on-screen--currently, it's Bob Iger. Maybe Leonard Maltin could do this? I mean, he's already narrating the new Great Movie Ride in my plans)
  • Classic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    • "Someday My Prince Will Come"
    • "Whistle While You Work"
    • "Heigh-Ho"
  • Heroism
    • "Son of Man" (Tarzan)
    • "I'll Make a Man Out of You" (Mulan)
    • “Trio: Just Around the Riverbend/Go the Distance/Out There” (Pocahontas, Hercules, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame)*
  • Symphony
    • "Under the Sea" (The Little Mermaid)
    • "Dig a Little Deeper" (The Princess and the Frog)
  • Villains
    • "Cruella de Vil" (101 Dalmatians)
  • Friendship
    • "You've Got a Friend in Me" (Toy Story)
  • Romance
    • "Bella Notte" (Lady and the Tramp)
    • "I See the Light" (Tangled)
    • "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (The Lion King)
    • "Beauty and the Beast" (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Finale: "Who Knows Where a Dream Might Lead?"
*This is a scene from the Disneyland show Animazement. It's an absolutely beautiful medley and I think it would be a perfect addition to the show!

This is an extravaganza unlike any other. Enjoy the extravaganza as it unfolds with dazzling song-and-dance numbers that pay homage to the magic and stories of Disney. And then—just like in the movies—see a once unsure stage manager transform into a confident host, realizing that anything is possible and dreams really do come true. And by the time the curtain falls, the message rings out with crystal clarity: In our hearts—we are all winners!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywoodland
Sunset Boulevard
~~~~~

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

snowwhiteride_mural2011ww.jpg

Along the thoroughfare of Sunset Boulevard, the Carthay Circle Theatre facade of the Once Upon a Time shop has been demolished and replaced with a new facade. Why? Because the Carthay Circle Theatre is getting represented in a whole new way. In-between that small shopping complex and the Theater of the Stars stands a new, more glorious, more opulent version of the Carthay Circle, much like the one found at Disney's California Adventure.

7294500002_24bb7a69ac_b.jpg

Blog+-+MGM+V.PNG

Just look at the map above to see how it would fit along the streets of Sunset Boulevard. Anyways, as we all know, the Carthay Circle Theatre is where Walt Disney risked it all in 1937, where he premiered the world's first full-length animated feature film. Step inside the theater and be whisked away into the world of that iconic film: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. An all-new version of the beloved Magic Kingdom attraction Snow White's Scary Adventures, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs takes us aboard a mine car named for one of the Seven Dwarfs and into a masterpiece in carnival "spook house" dark rides. From the general cheeriness of the Dwarfs' Diamond Mine to the terrifying catacombs and dungeons of the Evil Queen's Castle, the attraction is a solid mix between light and dark that is guaranteed to end happily ever after.

Entering through the door of the Carthay Circle Theatre, we find ourselves in the theater lobby. This is a place of pure elegance and opulence. Swinging 40's music fills our ears. Spend some time taking in the beautiful decor here, as well as all the fun memorabilia. There are tons and tons of photographs and other fascinating pieces. Be sure to check out the collection of Snow White animated cels that are said to have hung in Walt Disney’s home. Finally, we reach the entrance to the movie theater at the far end of the lobby. However, we find ourselves not in a 40's-era movie-theater...but rather, our eyes are filled with the majestic sight of Snow White's own Enchanted Forest.

snow_white_queue.jpg

The forest is represented through a magnificent three-dimensional diorama composed mostly of flats, murals, and forced perspective scenery, a near-direct lift of the Magic Kingdom's 1971-1994 attraction load area (designed by the great Claude Coats). An unseen Snow White can be heard perpetually singing "I'm Wishing" (in the same recording from The Mickey Mouse Revue, heard in the video above) from within the well in a slightly distorted, echoed rendition, creating a false sense of security while establishing that the adventures ahead may be unsettling. To our left, we see the courtyard of the Evil Queen's castle, complete with Snow White's flower-entangled wishing well, as well as the dispatch point for our journey. In the center, a forested hillside provides our first glimpse of the relatively distant Dwarfs' cottage bathed in a pool of blue light breaking through the overhead trees. Finally, to our right, is the cavern entrance to the Dwarfs' diamond mine.

Before we know it, we have hopped aboard a two-row, four-seater wooden mine car named for one of the seven Dwarfs, each embroidered not just with a name, but also with intricate little carvings of cute woodland creatures and flowers, a stark contrast to the adventures ahead. After a quick safety spiel from a rather regal female voice (is that you, Evil Queen?), our mine car quickly pulls away from the load area, heading immediately for the castle's courtyard, circling around the wishing well and heading towards the Dwarfs' cottage. But sadly, our car quickly pulls away from the cottage, instead turning towards the intimidating gates of the Queen's castle. From an overhead window, the Evil Queen parts the curtains, making direct red-eyed eye contact with us before drawing the curtains shut. The doors beneath slowly open, beckoning us into the darkness...uh-oh.

Suspenseful music fills the air as we enter the dark confines of the castle. We veer straight on, towards the face of the Magic Mirror. "Alas, Snow White is the fairest of them all." Our car veers right once more as the unseen Queen shouts "No!" Just ahead is the Queen's throne room where we find the Queen facing a second mirror with her back turned to us and her arms outstretched. Nearby, her faithful raven sits perched atop her lavish throne, seeming to be stuck in a state of perpetual shock. Just as our car reaches the Queen, she pivots around with a strike of lightning that illuminates the entire room, revealing the bulgy eyes and boney fingers of the aforementioned Wicked Witch. "I am the fairest of them all!" To the sound of the Witch's hideous cackle, our car hastily turns sharply away from her, but unfortunately goes straight into the innermost dungeons and catacombs of the forsaken fortress via the second of the dark ride's many "crash doors."

1565599337_51ae66277c_b.jpg

Suspenseful music, taken from the film, and the distant sound of howling wind and howling wolves welcome us to the narrow corridors of her Dungeon, ghostly voices telling us to turn back. Countless skeletons pop up in the dungeons, some hanging from chains on the walls, others simply fallen to the floor. Perhaps the most iconic of these skeletons (from a memorable moment in the film) is a skeleton trapped beneath iron bars, reaching for a nearby pail of water, having died doing so. We turn towards a archway leading to the relative safety of the outside world set in a blue night sky with glistening stars. Our escape is foiled - the Witch has summoned a large portcullis to come crashing down, blocking our path. Suddenly, on the door, we see the silhouette of the Queen drink from a goblet, and we see her figure slowly morph into the Witch. Black lights create an unnatural, unreal sensation of disenchantment as we enter the laboratory of the Evil Queen...

The old hag stands behind a cauldron filled with a bubbling, green liquid. Bubbling test tubes and pots, scattered spellbooks, and a multitude of lit candles surround the Witch as she dips an apple into the cauldron, reading from the opened pages of her spellbook. She pulls the apple out to reveal that the fruit has turned into a green skull, an image taken straight from the film. The Queen's raven joins her once more, menacingly cawing from atop a bookshelf filled with lab equipment straight ahead. As she pulls out the apple, the Witch turns to face us. "Apple, dearie?" Approaching the bookshelf, it begins to shift forward as if about to fall! But luckily for us, our car immediately turns right and breaks out of the castle, the sound of shattering glass and crumbling wood not-so-far behind us.

A grey nightsky festers and swirls above us like a hurricane as we exit the castle, racing past several turrets and across a rickety footbridge running above a trickling stream. However, as we head towards the forest, we run across a large river, where we come across a couple of logs resembling some hungry alligators that open their jaws and give actual alligator groans. A third "alligator" launches out from behind a nearby tree, ready for munching on an early luncheon. The trees of the forest grow progressively "deader" and "deader," turning our attention towards the Huntsman. "Please! Run! The Queen is after you! Go! Go!" Thunder and lightning crash, illuminating the first in-ride appearance of Snow White, just as equally terrified as we are. This first appearance from Snow kicks off our trip through a haunted forest filled with fluttering bats, blinking eyes (taken from the Haunted Mansion's wallpaper), and dead oak trees...dead oak trees with "claws" and "faces" that slowly move their claw-like branches towards us. The suspenseful music fades out in favor of eerie sound effects; moaning ghosts, screeching bats, howling wolves. Passing one final tree, we find ourselves surrounded by eyes, but as the dark forest gives way to the setting sun, the eyes reveal themselves to belong to the friendly woodland creatures. At last, something happy and friendly! They point us towards our first "happy" destination since the loading area: the Seven Dwarfs' Mine.

Immediately, we find ourselves re-immersed into a scene of happiness and fairy tale whimsy, meeting the Dwarfs once again amid the horrors of the outside world. The Dwarfs sing a rousing rendition of "We Dig-Dig-Dig" as they tirelessly work at the walls of their glistening diamond mine. Dopey, with eyes multiplied by a pair of giant diamonds covering either socket, sits within a jewel-filled cart pulled by a deer; Sneezy and a raccoon attempt to hold up a pile of buckets filled with jewels, Sneezy himself just about ready to sneeze and drop everything; Sleepy sleeps atop a jewel-filled mine car with a skunk on top of him, its tail brushing his nose; adjacent to Sleepy, Happy and Bashful pick away at the walls, while nearby Doc surveys a collection of rather pricey-looking diamonds; finally, we see Grumpy who stands near an open shaft, clutching an unlit keg of blasting powder which might be a little too heavy for him to carry as a couple of squirrels attempt to give him leg support. Another mine shaft door moves aside for us, allowing us access into the forest at sunset. We find ourselves about to go under a log spanning a canyon, a miniature waterfall near our path. As we pass under, we see the Seven Dwarfs actually march atop the log, singing "Heigh-Ho".

40617269_1_x.jpg

Passing underneath the log, we come across another warm, inviting place: the Dwarfs' cottage. Naturally, our car bursts inside a set of crash doors to enter.

Cutesy woodland creatures peer into the hand-carved and self-decorated cottage of the Dwarfs. From in the other room, we hear the sound of "The Silly Song," and entering the other room we find that the Dwarfs and Snow White are having a little dance party amid their scary adventures. Snow White dances on the floor with a very "tall" Dopey wearing a trenchcoat, whilst Grumpy plunks away at the keys of a miniature organ and the other Dwarfs generally jam out on little instruments. From atop the adjacent staircase, even more woodland critters watch the party, gleefully clapping along and or just smiling.

Unfortunately, this moment of happiness doesn't last as we quietly leave the party and head back into the woods, only to be greeted by the Wicked Witch and her all-seeing raven standing just outside the cottage window, cackling wildly as we meet her. We loop around a tree, face a mural of the now-distant Queen's castle, then turn right back towards the cottage. The Dwarfs line both sides of the track, each one warning us not to proceed, others shouting for Snow White to run. Making a left turn explains the shouting: the Wicked Witch stands near the opened front-door, Snow White inside the door, about to take a bite from the apple. "That's right, dearie, just one bite, and all of your dreams will come true." Looping around the cottage, thunder and lightning strike. "Now I'm the fairest in the land!" A pair of mean-eyed vultures from an overhead branch follow our movement as we set off, deeper and deeper into the forest. Using LCI technology, the Dwarfs appear, riding deer and brandishing pickaxes and clubs, in hot pursuit of the Witch. As we pass them by, we hear them shouting over each other, Doc's voice rising above the others: "It's the Quicked Ween -- the Wicked Queen! Come on, men!"

NewFantasyland1983_SW.jpg

As we leave the forest, we find ourselves standing in front of a tall mountain. All seven of the Dwarfs appear to our left, climbing the mountain in "action poses." "What's she doing?!" Happy asks. "We've gotta stop her!" Grumpy adds. "C'mon, men! Let's get her!" Doc bravely shouts, clutching a lantern. It appears as if the little men are climbing towards a giant boulder perched right on the edge of the cliffside. Without warning, the Witch prods her head out from behind the boulder, attempting to lodge into our heads (and against the Dwarfs' heads) with a walking stick. "Fools! I'll crush your bones! Hee hee hee hee!" The boulder begins to rock forward, but suddenly changes direction, leaning back towards the Witch. We dash underneath the mountain and into a dark room. In the dark, we see the silhouette of the Witch falling backwards with the giant boulder as she unleashes a bloodcurdling scream, shortly followed by the aforementioned pair of vultures flocking down towards the fallen... Our car enters one second-to-last set of crash doors...

A moving instrumental of "Some Day My Prince Will Come" fills the air as we enter a colorful clearing the enchanted forest. Snow White, having been placed in a glass coffin to preserve her beauty, lays out before us, Prince Florian leaning over her, ready for true love's first kiss. As the two animatronics kiss, Snow's eyes open, much to the joy and pleasure of the surrounding woodland creatures. Turning sharply to the right, we face an overhead bridge where Snow White and Prince Florian ride away on horseback towards the Castle in the Clouds, turning to wave to the very bald dwarfs standing on a nearby hillside, red "smooch-marks" on their foreheads. As a humorous farewell, Dopey appears on the back of the horse, sheepishly bidding us farewell with a little wave. Crashing through one last set of doors beneath the bridge, we pull back into the load area and depart our car for other adventures along Sunset Boulevard...hopefully, less scary ones. Say, anyone wanna check out that hotel on the edge of the street?

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywoodland
Sunset Boulevard

~~~~~~
Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece
fantas1.jpg

Fantasia: One of the most seminal and important pieces in the history of animation on film. An ambitious blend of classic Disney animation with some of the most iconic pieces of classical music. Although received rather lukewarmly when it was first released, history has been kind to this film, and it has since been hailed as one of the greatest films to come from Walt Disney Animation Studios. As such, I think it deserves its very own attraction, instead of just being part of one major attraction (Great Movie Ride). A few weeks ago, @D Hindley created a ride to take over the western block of Disneyland's Fantasyland. I thought it was remarkable--absolutely remarkable--so I just had to include it in this idea series. Of course, if you don't mind, I'm going to make a few changes to better reflect the location of this mighty ride here at Disney's Hollywoodland (I also changed the name, as well from "Fantasia Waltz" to "Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece". I really hope you don't mind, D Hindley). So, let's dive in!

1200px-Daviessymphonyhall.jpg

Located northwards from the small park across the way from the Theater of the Stars is a path leading towards something. We'll get to that later, but on the left-hand side of this pathway is a replica of the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco. This is our entry point into this wonderful world of music. You see, Sorcerer Yen Sid is inviting guests to a very special "concert program". With his powerful magic, Yen Sid has joined together time periods, drawing together classic music spanning the centuries. Scattered all about the fortress’s base are musical instruments from innumerable cultures and eras. Yen Sid’s naïve-yet-eager apprentice, one Mickey Mouse, has tossed together hand drawn signs promoting his master’s concert. Hastily drawn, smeared with wet paint, Mickey’s glove-prints staining the nearby walls of the Symphony Hall. These signs ask guests to “choose your own program” and “conduct your world.”

39636736761_b621265c89_o_d.jpg

Guests enter the Symphony Hall, passing through the various corridors. The sounds of a distant orchestra to echo through the halls – music from both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, all the pieces not presently featured on the ride. Soon, we enter the main chamber, where musical instruments appear on display. Guests are invited to toot, whistle, plunk and boom to their hearts content. Play the xylophones. Bang the drum. Pluck a violin’s strings. Blow air into the brass section. Better still, the far corner features a screen – tastefully held within a wooden arch – housing Fantasia’s Soundtrack. This anthropomorphized sound graph reacts to guests’ cacophony of sounds in an adorable, colorful manner.

film5_1.jpg

Down further halls, with framed concept art for the assorted Fantasia segments. Finally guests reach a fork – the FastPass+ merge. Here a cast member clad in usher black tie directs guests to their concert hall section. In fact it's guest choice: Four Fantasia segments, and four unique ride experiences, each now with separate branching queues. With so many tuneful tales to choose from, the choice is rarely the same. Here upon opening, Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece offers a choice between The Nutcracker Suite, Dance of the Hours, Night on Bald Mountain, or Pines of Rome. Like Fantasyland’s original dark ride breakdown, these options represent different moods – exciting, humorous, frightening and beautiful, respectively.

Guests continue down one of four final queue halls, with décor dedicated to their unique choice. Here they’ll see sheet music, artwork and appropriate props.

fantasiaorchestra_zpsd0dbb4ee.jpg

Loading is found on four distinct platforms in a row. In practice, Fantasia Waltz loads similarly to Mystic Manor or Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, with four vehicles leaving at once. (One vehicle for each segment.) This loading takes place within an abstracted, minimalist concert hall. In place of the traditional dark ride mural, here we find a velvet curtain with projected silhouettes or the orchestra members. They tune and practice their instruments. There is an uncontainable energy; the concert is ready to begin!

boxseats-cort.gif

Much like Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway and the upcoming First Order Battle ride at Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece is a trackless dark ride. The ride vehicles resemble balcony box seats, with two rows of three. Each row features a interactive addition to the trackless genre: a touchscreen. These are tastefully, subtly incorporated, much like those on Efteling’s Symbolica. When the screens light up – as they’ll do three times during the ride – it’s an invitation for guests to “conduct” the music and the landscape before them. Combined with the trackless vehicles’ wonderful ability to dance, glide and spin, this feature shall further immerse guests into the enveloping world of classical music which lies ahead!

~~~~~~~~
conductor-image.jpg

Prologue
As the cast member behind her “ride op” conductor’s podium raps her baton, the vehicles move out. They pass through spreading curtains, and face a proscenium arch. Here via screen projection is the silhouette of master conductor Leopold Stokowski. With “Fantasound” onboard speakers, riders hear the music begin to swell. Fantasia narrator Deems Taylor also appears over the speakers, introducing the ride’s first act (of three):

How do you do? My name is Deems Taylor, and it's my very pleasant duty to welcome you to 'Fantasia'. Now, there are three kinds of music on this Fantasia program. First up is the kind of music that exists simply for its own sake, what we call 'absolute music.'”

ACT ONE: Toccatta and Fugue

Vehicles dance together into an abstract chamber of light and sound. Johann Sebastian Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor plays.

NOTE: It should be noted that this ride, with its screens and on-ride soundtrack, is designed to change out regularly. This sequence can easily feature Ludwig van Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C minor--I. Allegro con brio from Fantasia 2000 on occasion instead.

film1_1.jpg

As the music plays, riders slowly transition from the concert hall into fantasy. Projected musician shadows display against plain walls, all dominated by ever-shifting primary colors. Vehicles move in time with their music. As the harpist plays, the lights turn cool. As the drummer pounds, lights turn red.

c17f76f7989d550c748745b3b0acb5e9.jpg

Soon, the vehicles split along our first branching path. "Exciting" and "humorous" glide left towards the orchestra's String Section, while "frightening" and "beautiful" veer right to the Brass Section. Either way, these two vehicles join two more from the previous dispatch in a fog-shrouded room of pure abstraction.

Physical set pieces suggest a mental landscape inspired by music. Colorful discs sail around overhead. For the String Section, strange poles (vaguely reminiscent of violin bows) dance from behind an undulating hill. Lights flash across strings. For the Brass Section, abstracted trombone handles rise up from swirling horn-shaped pipes. Colors race across a tangle of tubes. Vehicles pause before different screens. Their touchscreens light up, inviting guests to “conduct.” The patterns they create are duplicated on the large screens. Patterns form of clouds, of lights, of shapes…all animated abstractions familiar from Fantasia’s opening sequence.

ACT TWO: Branching Programs

The next kind of music is the type that, while it has no specific plot, does paint a series or more or less definite pictures.”

Vehicles reverse into darkness, where they secretly branch away once again. Here for Act Two, guests enjoy their unique musical selection. No matter their choice, each Act Two follows a similar pattern. First solo vehicles glide through a small hallway mostly defined by screens, again allowing guests to “conduct” live-rendered imagery (very easy to switch out as needed whenever the ride alters its segments). The second scene joins the solo vehicle with the two vehicles which left ahead of it on this same path. (By “mixing and matching” vehicle groups like this, Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece can pack multiple cars together in a smaller space like similar trackless rides.) Here vehicles dance together to the music surrounded by physical scenery and animatronics.

Here’s how this works in practice:

Sequence A: The Nutcracker Suite (The 'Exciting' Sequence)

To the sweeping strains of Waltz of the Flowers, riders pirouette through forest scenes depicting the seasons. Screens, framed by physical trees and vines, display beautiful 1940 animation. Guests “conduct” the fall leaves, winter snowflakes and other elements, all while nature sprites dance and celebrate.

Then riders begin the Mushroom Dance, set to the tune of the Chinese Dance, surrounded by charming animatronic Chinese mushrooms. Trackless vehicles spin and swirl around each other in tune with Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s masterpiece.

Sequence B: Dance of the Hours (The 'Humorous' Sequence)

Amilcare Ponchielli’s Dance of the Hours begins in a hall of Greco-Roman columns, which frame screens of dancing elephants and ostriches. While these clumsy animals struggle to perform a delicate ballet, guests “conduct” bubbles flying from the elephants’ trunks. The dance room introduces riders to animatronic hippos and crocodiles, along with the ballet’s rousing upbeat crescendo. Once again, trackless vehicles peerlessly dance to the tunes!

Sequence C: Night on Bald Mountain (The 'Frightening' Sequence)

The ominous chords of Modest Mussorgsky's chilling symphonic poem fill the air as vehicles cautiously creep amidst towering crags. Between them, guests glimpse horrifying specters rises from their tombs. They conduct these eerie demons. The music builds and builds, ultimately revealing a huge animatronic Chernabog flanked by flame effects! Vehicles dance in a circle around their profane overlord, surrounded by screens of gyrating demon revelers!

Sequence D: Pines of Rome (The 'Beautiful' Sequence)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBy1lBXgtE

Icy glacier walls frame a starry nighttime under the Aurora Borealis. Guests conduct flocks of seabirds. As the music of Ottorino Respighi's sumptuous score builds, a pod of whales rises from the ocean’s surface below…and flies into the heavens. Vehicles dance gracefully, beatifically around a glowing spectral orb. Above them, animatronic whales soar weightlessly, in a scene of pure transcendence.

NOTE: All of these scenes – even the animatronics – are designed to be regularly changed out. This allows us to occasionally feature other beloved Fantasia segments in the future, bringing guests back again and again.
As Act Two ends, the fours vehicles secretly join together within a star field room. Deems Taylor introduces the ride’s climax as the on-ride music changes:

Finally there is the kind of music which tells a definite story. In our case, it tells a very ancient story, about a sorcerer who had an apprentice…"

ACT THREE: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSfPyqPF7c

Paul Dukas’ symphonic poem – the most beloved, most famous of all Fantasia’s segments – carries us into a chamber. Vehicles pause before an animatronic Mickey Mouse asleep at a desk, dreaming, the shadows of hardworking brooms projected on the wall behind. In a Pepper's ghost effect, Mickey's spirit seems to rise from his body and float away.

fantasiafantasia2000_photo_09.jpg

We follow Mickey's spirit to a mighty crag. Here, an animatronic Mickey, wearing the iconic sorcerer's hat, magically commands the stars above and the waves below. Guests similarly control the earth and heavens with their touchscreens, performing feats of wondrous wizardry right alongside Mickey!

Fantasia1waltdisneystudios.jpg

Soon we awake from our reverie! We’re back within Yen Sid’s masonic chambers, where a veritable army of living broomsticks endlessly fills a water well. These animatronic brooms are among the ride’s neatest tricks – they too are trackless, able to weave and dance amongst ride vehicles. This is the ride’s climax, held in a massive room with 12 ride vehicles (three dispatches), much like the Heffalump room in Pooh’s Hunny Hunt. Trackless cars zoom from one show scene to another. They spin around broomsticks. They pause by a hallway where Mickey’s shadow is scene chopping brooms into splinters. They skirt around the well, overflowing with projected water. Gliding across a “watery” floor – really just blue-lighting – vehicles pass an animatronic Mickey upon a gigantic book struggling to reverse his spell.

As a grand finale, the four original vehicles twirl together around a deadly whirlpool projected upon the floor. Endless rows of brooms march the stairs above us!

4460174754_09064d7639_o.jpg

A huge door swings open! Animatronic Yen Sid spreads his arms, and the waters splash away (minor spray effects). Vehicles sit atop a hidden motion base – another Hunny Hunt trick – where they feel a little rumble with every downbeat, with every gesture of Yen Sid’s arms. The music crescendos…and ends.

Epilogue
Fantasia-Mickey-and-Conductor.gif

The concert program concludes. Escaping vehicles pause before a screen, depicting an iconic moment from the film: Mickey Mouse, in silhouette, rushing up to congratulate Mr. Stokowski. They shake hands.

MICKEY MOUSE: [pulling on Stokowski's coat] [panting] Mr. Stokowski. Mr. Stokowski! [whistles to get Stokowski's attention] [chuckles] My congratulations, sir.

LEOPOLD STOKOWSKI: [shaking hands with Mickey] [chuckles] Congratulations to you, Mickey.

MICKEY MOUSE: Gee, thanks. [laughs] Well, so long. I'll be seein' ya.

LEOPOLD STOKOWSKI: Goodbye.

Vehicles lastly arrive in a separate unloading chamber, the orchestra’s temporary backstage within the concert hall. Soggy instruments are chaotically strewn about, suggesting the aftermath of Mickey’s misadventure with the brooms. (Also in here is a dedicated ADA loading platform.) Guests unload amidst this mess, and exit via concert-hall hallways back out onto Sunset Boulevard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I figured I'd extend this post a bit; because there's not really a whole lot I'd put on the right-hand side of this pathway.

To the eastern stretch of this pathway, we first come across the entrance of Valiant & Valiant, though the building itself inaccessible to us - and weasels. Nearby, the familiar tune of "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" hums out from the close-knit walls of the infamous Ink & Paint Club. Entering through a "secret" entrance, we step foot inside the speakeasy-like lounge which also just so happens to be one of Hollywoodland's finest eating and drinking establishments. Like the film, the club stands as somewhat of a mismatched collaboration of the human and Toon worlds, with a cartoon octopus at the bar (although real humans serve the drinks) and "live entertainment" from Donald Duck who pounds away at the keys of a grand piano, constantly quacking wisecracks. Human musicians also play when Donald is on break. Although our waiter is human, the penguins from Mary Poppins do wander about the restaurant with bussing trays, frantically attempting to make a living prior to their film debut more than a decade later.

Standing at the edge of this pathway is a large white tunnel built into the edge of a hill. You see, the buildings along this pathway were specifically chosen to ease us into an all-new area of Disney's Hollywoodland; another entry in the "Where Movies Come to Life" part of the park. And since we are accessing this land through a tunnel, well...let's just say if you've seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit, you know what's coming...

img_0044.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywoodland
Toontown

mickeys-toontown_primary1.jpg

Once through the other side of this tunnel, you'll find yourself in the wacky upside-down world of Toontown. As the story goes, the original Toontown existed long before the original Disneyland was built next door. It wasn’t until 1993 that Toontown opened its doors to human visitors. Its tremendous success inspired the construction of a second Toontown in Tokyo, which in turned inspired a third, just beyond Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. No matter which one you visit, Toontown remains a tribute to the nonsensical, stylized world of the Golden Age of Animation, where falling anvils, barrels of dynamite, and sentient buildings are just a part of everyday life.

A distinct lack of straight lines make up this Dr. Seuss-like suburb. Balloon-like architecture, twisted lampposts, talking mailboxes, and bizarre vehicles line the crooked pavement, while fireworks and bombs sound off from the old Gag Factory. Crates of wisecracks, cartoon sound effects, and explosions erupt upon the slightest opening. Classic Silly Symphony themes drown out the big band of Hollywood Boulevard; googly-eyed goldfish bathe in water-filled gas pumps; cowboys holler from the “Western Prop Warehouse”; the bars of the old jailhouse bend and fall limp. This isn't your grandfather's Hollywood...

First of all, directly to the right upon entering is the Neighborhood, where Mickey and all his pals live. Goofy’s Paint ‘n’ Play is our first stop, held inside the ramshackle facade of Goofy’s House. Self-serve paint-guns allow us to take aim and “redecorate” Goofy’s wacky abode.

Right nearby Goofy's house is Von Drake's House of Genius, the bizarre-looking abode of Professor Ludwig Von Drake. This is a concept found solely at the Hollywoodland Toontown, as created by veteran user @mharrington. Inside, you'll find a multimedia show hosted by Ludwig Von Drake, featuring Audio-Animatronics and special effect, a la Cranium Command. There are two theaters in which the show, or should I say, "lecture", is presented, each one with Von Drake as host and a specific character is used as his particular "guinea pig". The two shows are as follows: One theater plays host to a revised version ofGoofy About Health (albeit with Von Drake as both the narrator and the doctor), and the other is an original show that tries to find out why Donald Duck has such a bad temper.

On the outskirts of the House of Genius, Donald’s Boat sits afloat on Toontown Lake, offering tours of the rickety S.S. Daisy. Duck Bumps, a unique take on the old “bumper boats” concept, also resides in Toontown Lake, the invention of Donald and Scrooge McDuck, circa some past adventure on the high seas. Leaving from a dock nearby the S.S. Daisy, we'll hop aboard homemade tugboats that twist, turn, backup, spin around in place, all while taking you on a seemingly random trip dodging jagged rocks, spinning whirlpools, and other tugboats. Naturally, Toontown Lake is infested with sharks, crocodiles and a scuba-diving Big Bad Wolf...as well as plenty of opportunities to get riders spritzed.

In the nearby hills of Toontown, Launchpad McQuack’s Plane Crazy takes us on a family-friendly roller coaster ride with the brave and adventurous Launchpad McQuack. While in flight, we encounter various obstacles and sight-gags, such as a coop of irritable chickens, a freak thunderstorm/snowstorm/tornado, and an unfortunate run-in with the dreaded Beagle Boys. Chip & Dale’s Treehouse, nestled along the shores of Toontown Lake hosts Chip & Dale’s Jumpin’ Acorns. Here we “jump” up and down a 40-foot oak tree aboard one of 12 multi-colored acorns. Think Jumpin' Jellyfish of California Adventure - but with acorns.

6J8HLw64ETO8kotoTLWCODnUXoprcjFoBPpKdwH9a2BYYxvdxKpN3Z7-NeMGv4HSYdZDrSHBPF7ouwrDOzMeDqn2F-VQrZZ2oLBFWu-M0rURd67iFdSYtmN2WBtNdZakZBxEpdO1

In the heart of Toontown’s “residential” neighborhood, a bronze fountain depicts the venerable Mickey conducting an orchestra of cartoon instruments. Embedded in the surrounding sidewalk are music notes that, when stepped on, will cause a certain instrument to play. Naturally, both Mickey's House and Minnie's House finish the remainder of the residential area, sat directly beneath the iconic “Toontown Hill.” Both houses, next door to each other, of course, provide a walking tour of the homes of Mickey and Minnie, as well as an all-day meet-n-greet with both. These houses should be a combination of the Disneyland houses and the former Country Houses at Toontown Fair, complete with actual outdoor gardens instead of simulated-indoor ones.

The shed that would lead out of Mickey's house at Disneyland has been re-purposed here as the entrance to the old Movie Barn, where Mickey and his pals film all their exciting adventures. And they've got one doozy of an adventure in store for you today: Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway!

mmn02398402938fi-624x352.jpg

This is an adventure I'm sure many guests will be familiar with. It had its world premiere down at the Chinese Theatre a couple months ago, but with the opening of Toontown, Mickey decided to bring it to the Movie Barn. The fun begins with Mickey and Minnie getting ready for a picnic. As they head out, they drive alongside a train and find out that the engineer is Goofy. Then, one magical moment lets you step into the movie and on Goofy’s train for a wacky, wild ride. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will put you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short where you’re the star and anything can happen. And for the first time, we shared a preview of what the cars will look like when you board the attraction for a zany, out-of-control adventure filled with surprising twists and turns.

Beyond this neighborhood, you'll soon find yourself in Downtown Toontown, the hustling and bustling city portion of this fun-filled town. The Jolley Trolley is always ready to take guests Downtown Toontown to the Neighborhood and back again.

toontown_008.jpg

At the entrance to Downtown Toontown, the bizarre City Hall turns the cogs and gears of its twisted clock tower, all-too-similar to an oversized Mickey Mouse watch. Every quarter hour, gloved cartoon hands bang bells with mallets and pull steam whistles. Nearby the City Hall sits a building that can best be described as "half Art-Deco and half-Seuss": the Toontown Opera House. Strange sounds and glass-shattering high notes emit from within. Intrigued, we enter…

The Toontown Opera House serves as the new home of Mickey's PhilharMagic, moved over here from the Magic Kingdom. Although the Fantasyland Theatre now plays host to The Hunchback of Notre Dame: A Musical Adventure, this crowd-pleaser continues to delight Walt Disney World visitors here in its new home. Inside the Opera House, Mickey Mouse is conducting his PhilharMagic Orchestra, with the aid of his trusty Sorcerer's Hat. But when Mickey goes off to attend to last minute details, Donald Duck decides to use hat to try conducting himself, only to be sucked into various Disney worlds and musical numbers until having to be bailed out by Mickey. Appropriately enough, the show exits out into the Toontown Music Co. gift shop. The shop resembles a blending of both of the palaces of the Isle of Jazz and the Land of Symphony, from the Silly Symphony cartoon Music Land. Inside the store, you can find CDs, sheet music, and all kind of merchandise items related to music. There is even a section where you can mix and burn your very own CDs, picking and choosing from a variety of classic songs from Disney movies, TV and the theme parks. Oh, and here's a fun Easter egg: the musical notes on the staff above the check-out counters are the first 24 notes of the "Mickey Mouse Club March".

The buildings of Downtown Toontown are a stunning example of... what's the word? ...triggers. For example, there is a match factory right next to a fireworks warehouse, likely to meet at your will. The fireworks factory has a detonator for you to push down. And there is a magnet store right next door to a metals factory, too. The magnet store is actually a real store where you can get Disney-themed fridge magnets. There are plenty of shops and eateries here. Daisy’s Diner and the aforementioned Gag Factory can also be found in Toontown Square, the only shopping in town. Daisy’s Diner serves up classic milkshakes, burgers and fries, while the decidedly bizarre Gag Factory features an array of moving conveyor belts, whirring machinery, and the grim, chalk-outline of Marvin Acme’s body, with the murder weapon - a large safe - still embedded in the adjacent earth. The Gag Factory itself sells your typical “toon” merchandise: rubber chickens, disappearing ink, hand buzzers, whoopie cushions, giant shoes and gloves, mismatched socks, squeaky toys, and much, much more. In the moood for something delicious? Customize a hand-dipped ice cream bar or treat yourself to a sundae, cone or cup at Clarabelle’s Ice Cream Parlor.

Along the edge of Downtown Toontown sits the Toontown Cab Co., the home of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

roger-rabbits-car-toon-spin-00.jpg

This is a ride unlike any other. In this wild, spinning dark ride, we board Lenny the Cab and whirl through Toontown, in a ride that is basically best described as a cross between a Fantasyland dark ride and the Mad Tea Party. The thrills are nonstop as the Weasels kidnap Jessica and threaten Roger with a certain mixture: turpentine, acetone and benzene--better known as DIP (the only thing that can kill a toon). What ensues next is a madcap ride through the back allies and factories of Toontown, detailing countless gags and humorous affairs, including a simulated fall to the streets below in a clever bit of set design, ending in an escape thru a portable hole.

Here's how Hollywoodland's Toontown would look.

Toontown.png

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
For this post, I'm gonna be killing two birds with one stone; talking about two Mousecellaneous aspects of Disney's Hollywoodland.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disney's Hollywoodland
Mousecellaneous
~~~~~~~

Red Cars & Characters
st_dca_bvs_red_car.jpg

First of all, both Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards will see the addition of their very own Red Car Trolley line. Not only would this help to solidify the theme and time period of the front-half of the park, but it would also serve the practical purpose of helping to transport guests into the park. Plus, it'd give the area some kinetic elements. With 4 convenient stops, and cars running approximately 8 minutes, take a scenic ride on a vintage street car. Board or disembark at any of the following locations:
  • Crossroads of the World near the main entrance.
  • Grauman's Chinese Theatre, stopping in front of the planter (where Center Stage once stood).
  • Outside the Planet Hollywood store on Sunset Boulevard.
  • Nearby the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
The trolleys are parked in a barn that takes the space of the rarely-used Sunset Showcase, nearby INVASION! Oh, and to answer a question some of you may have: the Red Car News Boys will also set up a second shop here at Disney's Hollywoodland, delivering newspapers and putting on one heck of a show!

~~~~~~​

Now, as for the character experiences at Disney's Hollywoodland, there's a lot to be found. First of all, Mickey and his pals can be found at along Hollywood Boulevard dressed in their '30s finest; or at the Chinese Theatre, dressed for a big Hollywood premiere.

bvs123234LARGE.jpg

5968363095_aa5a529811_b.jpg

Of course, Mickey and Minnie can also be found at Casting Call; Minnie still dressed like a starlet, but Mickey can be found in his Sorcerer's Apprentice duds. The other component of Casting Call features the stars of Disney's latest animated films.

"Streetmosphere" still plays a major role here in the form of the Citizens of Hollywood. They can be found throughout the day along Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, inviting guests to be part of their wacky shenanigans.

Echo Lake is the place to go to meet up with your favorite superheroes. Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Frozone, Star-Lord and Gamora can all be found here, right nearby their respective rides.

Incredibles.jpg

0613_fea_ocr-l-dlupdate-361.jpg

At Muppet Studios, you'll be able to meet Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf, Swedish Chef and the rest of the Muppet gang.

mop830274LARGE.jpg

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will take full use of the Streetmosphere concept and run with it to the moon. Here, you will be part of the story. Here, you are one with the Force; and you will get the chance to become a Jedi, and help out the Resistance...or help out the First Order, if you're so inclined. In addition, characters like C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Rey, Finn and Poe Dameron can be found here. Just watch out for Kylo Ren!

At Toy Story Land, Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Bo Peep, Sarge and his fellow Green Army Men can be found, inviting guests to come and play in Andy's backyard.

5930605973_d8f5ef08ba_b.jpg

Along Animation Courtyard, although Disney Junior: Live on Stage played its final performance, you can still meet your Disney Junior pals here: Sofia, Jake, Doc McStuffins often make appearances here; as well as Phineas and Ferb.

maxresdefault.jpg

character-meet-phineas-ferb-streets-america-00.jpg

Of course, Disney Animation plays host to the Disney Through the Decades meet & greet, but I've already talked about that at length.

Toontown, as we all know, is the home of Mickey and his pals. Do I even need to say it? Oh, I'll say it anyway. This is the place to go if you want to meet the OG's: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Clarice, Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Launchpad McQuack, Ludwig von Drake, Darkwing Duck, Max Goof, Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and the Three Little Pigs: Fifer, Fiddler and Practical! Plus, meeting guests for the first time in ages are the stars of Who Framed Roger Rabbit: the two lovebirds, Roger and Jessica, as well as the hard-boiled, yet soft-hearted, detective, Eddie Valiant!

8939794402_bd57eeaa0d_b.jpg

8407960369_8e9c2a8f9a_b.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

ASD-02242017+-+3.jpg

Jessica02.jpg

Plus, there's a super-special secret that Disney's Hollywoodland offers. I won't exactly tell you, because I want to maintain its secrecy, but just look up "Character Palooza" on Google if you want to find out. And remember: Mum's the word. Shh...

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywoodland
Mousecellaneous

~~~~~~
Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade
stars-motors-cars-parade.jpg

When the stars of Disney travel to a red-carpet Hollywood movie premiere, they don’t travel in boring, conventional limousines. They travel in cars that reflect who they are. That’s the premise of this clever parade, making its triumphant return to Disney's Hollywoodland. For 25 minutes, you’ll be treated to a cavalcade of Disney stars and their customized cars. Some stars ride in the cars. Others walk along side them, often interacting with guests. The parade route starts in Echo Lake (from a brick arch in-between behind the eastern block of shops and The Great Muppet Movie Ride), goes past the Lakeside Club and CineMagic, passes in front of the Chinese Theatre, goes down Hollywood Boulevard, and disappears backstage at Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Shop.

Before the parade starts, announcers come out on the street. The announcers are also Citizens of Hollywood, the streetmosphere characters that can be seen throughout the day. There are several announcers along the parade route, and they introduce the stars as they make their way to that particular area.

When the parade starts, some motorcycle policemen come down the street with their lights flashing, giving an official air to the procession. First come the grand marshals for the parade, often a specially-selected family. The parade is officially heralded by a simple banner.

carparade_01.jpg

The first float featured is Toy Story. Heralded by the Green Army Men, as well as Jessie, Bo Peep, Rex and Slinky Dog, this car is decked out to look like Andy's bed, complete with Woody and Buzz sitting on pillows at the back. Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head sit on the car's hood.

carparade_02.jpg

Dancing penguins announce the arrival of Mary Poppins. Mary and Bert ride on carousel horses mounted on the back of their car. And the car is brightly painted, bringing back memories of the "Jolly Holiday" sequence from the movie.

carparade_03.jpg

Next come the Muppets, with Kermit and Miss Piggy riding in a car shielded from the elements by a giant blimp. Typical Muppet fare, with some rockets, sandbags, and a life preserver on the car, along with a movie camera hood ornament. Other Muppets greet guests on the streets.

carparade_04.jpg

Then, from that galaxy far, far away, come Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. C-3PO, R2-D2 and marching Stormtroopers lead the way for this car, made to resemble Luke's landspeeder from his home planet of Tatooine. Darth Vader stalks behind the vehicle.

carparade_05.jpg

Chinese warriors announce the arrival of Mulan, the valiant girl who saved the emperor and all of China.

carparade_06.jpg

And then we have Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan from Monsters Inc., riding in a sporty red convertible.

carparade_07.jpg

Up next comes a new float. Ice harvesters dance along the route (much like the Gravediggers from Mickey's Boo-to-You Parade, their pick-axes make blue sparks when they hit the pavement). Of course, they herald the arrival of the gang from Frozen. Here, Anna, Elsa and Kristoff ride in a car decorated to look like a sleigh. Olaf serves as the hood ornament.

DSCF6696.JPG
Dancing harem girls announce the arrival of Princess Jasmine and Prince Ali (aka Aladdin). Of course the car is really the Genie, and the passengers are resting against the Magic Carpet, who is along for the ride.

carparade_08.jpg

When Pain and Panic drop by, that can only mean Hercules is coming! He and Meg ride in a car decorated with ancient Greek designs and columns. The hood ornament is actually a lightning bolt, no doubt placed there by Zeus himself.

P08-4.jpg
Behind them lurk the Disney Villains: the Evil Queen, Frollo, Jafar, Cruella de Vil, Dr. Facilier, Oogie Boogie, Captain Hook, Hades and the Queen of Hearts. Maleficent rides in a limo that resembles a hearse. Picture this, but without the flames.

carparade_10.jpg

Next come Lilo and Stitch, in a car inspired by their home state of Hawaii. The wood sides, surf boards, palm trees, and torches all add to the atmosphere.

carparade_11.jpg

Dancers straight out of Mardi Gras herald the way for Tiana and Naveen (of The Princess and the Frog fame). Their car is decorated with lily pads and swamp grass.

Behind them is yet another new addition: Wreck-It Ralph. Ralph and Vanellope von Schweetz ride in a car, presumably decorated by Fix-It Felix (if the car’s being made of bricks is any indication).

Ariel is up next in her clam shell vehicle, complete with a large seahorse on the hood. Eric, Sebastian and Flounder ride along with her. The shiny blue paint job looks like the bottom of a swimming pool on a sunny day.

carparade_12.jpg

Following Ariel is the Disney Junior-based car (a re-themed version of the Playhouse Disney car, seen below), full of characters that can be seen in the various Disney Junior shows. Doc McStuffins, Handy Manny and Miles (from "Miles from Tomorrowland") roam the streets, while Sofia and Jake ride in the car.

carparade_14.jpg

Behind them is the final new addition to the parade: Winnie the Pooh. Here, Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore drive a wheelbarrow-shaped car overflowing with plants from Rabbit’s garden and honey pots.

Next is the fairest one of all, Snow White, sitting in front of a large mirror. Dopey comes along for the ride in this car fit for a princess. The hood ornament on Snow White's car is a golden apple, which is conspicuously missing a bite. Looks like the evil queen has been up to her old tricks...

carparade_15.jpg

And bringing up the rear, being heralded by various Disney characters, are everyone's favorites - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy, riding in style in a film-inspired classic limo. And this car differs from the rest in that Goofy is doing double duty as the chauffeur. A great end to a great parade!

carparade_16.jpg

If you think that was something to see, just wait till nightfall, 'cause it's then and only then that the pure unbridled magic of Disney comes alive like never before...

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Imagine, my friends......Night has cast its shadow upon Disney's Hollywoodland. The bright lights of Hollywood shine brighter than ever. While some take this opportunity to revisit their favorite rides before the park closes for the night, most gather round at the farthest edge of the park for an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. This is, of course...

Fantasmic!
fantasmic-2.jpg

Fantasmic! is the nighttime show to end all nighttime shows here at Disney. This is a spectacular nighttime pageant as presented at the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, a few feet beyond Sunset Boulevard. A mysterious island, dwarfed by a mighty mountain, is the stage for a timeless clash between good and evil, with lasers, projection mapping, cascading waters, extraordinary digital projections, and breathtaking pyrotechnics.

The show is going to go through an extensive refurbishment, much like the one Disneyland's went under last summer, improving both technical and show segments to the nighttime production. All around, lighting, fountains and pyrotechnic features are going to be updated and improved. The projection system utilized for these huge water screens is going to be updated to HD projectors, to deliver a crystal clear projection performance (to my understanding, I've heard this has already been done). Also, the sound quality of the attraction is going to be touched upon, just touching up on all of the technical qualities of the show.

In addition to the technical qualities of the show, the show will receive some all-new scenes. With the success of Fantasmic 2.0, as it's come to be known, I decided that Walt Disney World's needed an update. For this, I was largely inspired by the draft @MANEATINGWREATH put out for his Dream Disney Resort thread. So, without further ado, let's dive in!

==========================================================================================

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic_Full_3153.jpg

(Instrumental arrangements of Disney classics are our sole entertainment as we look toward a mysterious island, set around a gigantic mountain. The spotlights on the gate in front of the stage have been removed and moved to the back of the theater, out of the way of guests' vision. Trees surround the area from all over. Walls of moss surround the mountain, hiding any backstage views. A sprawling plateau rests at the base of the mountain. There are also a series of trap doors within the stage that allows quicker set and character changes.

Suddenly, a hush falls over the crowd. The warm voice of our female narrator fills our ears...)

NARRATOR: Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight, our friend and host, Mickey Mouse, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination - for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy or an exciting adventure! But beware... Nothing is more powerful than the imagination - for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. (As the lights come to a blackout, a dim musical chord begins to linger on the horizon, gradually growing louder and closer.) Are the powers of Mickey's incredible imagination strong enough and bright enough to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey's dream? You are about to find out. For now we invite you to join Mickey and experience Fantasmic! - a journey beyond your wildest imagination...

(As the musical cord grows into an exhilarating crescendo, pixie dust begins to materialize among the shadows, briefly illuminating parts of the barren stage. With a triumphant fanfare, a single spotlight blasts to the night sky, the stage now awash in a technicolor glow. MICKEY MOUSE appears, audibly amazed by his fantastical surroundings. Over the following CHORUS, twirling searchlights and colored lights swirl about the arena, all in time with a frenzied build of musical notes.)

CHORUS: Imagination! (Imagination!)
Dream a fantastic dream!
Use your imagination!

1515617454538-png.255591

(With a chuckle, MICKEY discovers that - this being his dream - he can control not just the water, but the lights and air around him. To the inspired theme of "Imagination" - the iconic theme of the original "Fantasmic!," MICKEY transforms the entire riverfront into a technicolor whirl of dancing fountains and soaring pyrotechnics, all while colorful designs and figures engulf the stage. At one point, the fountains take the shape of the famous Sorcerer's Hat, as the projections fill in the moon and stars. As a "grand finale" to the act, MICKEY points one finger in either direction, blasting a stream of golden sparks from either fingertip. With one last chuckle and a shooting star, MICKEY vanishes, replaced by the traditional mist-screens of "Fantasmic!"

SORCERER MICKEY continues the dream-like fantasy, conducting an array of swirling lights, colored fountains and - of course - the marching broomsticks, all to the theme of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." As they do in "Fantasia," the broomsticks become carried away, tossing their water-buckets into the river and subsequently "flooding" Mickey's dream. With a burst of power and shower of stars, SORCERER MICKEY halts the chaos, calming the music into a relaxed refrain... The dream transforms into an interstellar field of stars, marked by a shooting star passing overhead. Twinkling constellations and comets soar past on both the mist-screens and the island.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: See it in your mind,
And you can find
In your imagination
(WALL-E and EVE soar past, fire-extinguisher at hand, carelessly waltzing among the stars. A hint of "Define Dancing" plays underneath.)
Mysteries and magic,
Visions fantastic,
Leading to strange and wondrous dreams.

(WALL-E and EVE soar out of sight, followed by SORCERER MICKEY, also afloat in space. The relaxed orchestration continues as an amazed MICKEY discovers a field of jewel-like ice crystals. The glistening crystals float about in time with the music, forming into the silhouette of MINNIE. MICKEY bows, offering a dance. The two waltz among the stars for only a moment, interrupted by a sudden change in music. MINNIE scatters and vanishes. MICKEY turns, facing the sun. As MICKEY transforms into a black silhouette, the sun itself has transformed into the iconic opening sunrise of "The Lion King." An intrigued MICKEY walks toward the horizon.)

lion-king-circle-of-life-sunrise.png

MALE SOLOIST: Nants ingoyama bagithi baba!

(The sunrise fades into the image of BABY SIMBA held aloft by RAFIKI, a kaleidoscope of African designs and animals marching past.)

CHORUS: Sithi uhm ingonyama!

(The CHORUS continues the usual "Circle of Life" chant before the music takes a sudden turn for the mysterious... The mist-screens shutter, subsequently revealing a throng of large puppets representing jungle animals moving about the island. Towering trees and exotic flora have taken over the stage as the rampant pace of tribal drums fills the air, accommodated by an eerie flute. With an adventurous fanfare, the drums grow wilder as a quartet of barges 'cross the water. Tribal designs overwhelm the stage.)

4241619689_6958bc1acd_z.jpg

(Peculiar, muti-patterned MONKEYS perform an exhilarating dance from each barge, with RAFIKI joining in on the central-most barge. The flute plays the theme of "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" as the tribal drums play underneath. As the barges fade, the island is transformed into a thundering, jungle waterfall where TIMON, PUMBAA, SIMBA and SORCERER MICKEY cross the iconic log-bridge of "Hakuna Matata." Of course, the music here changes to a jazzy instrumental of "Hakuna Matata".)

CHORUS: Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna!

(The tribal beat stops. The jungle disappears. Heavy metal overwhelms the score as Mickey's dream is taken over by the PINK ELEPHANTS of "Dumbo" infamy!)

(An electric guitar, bass and drums plunk out the familiar, albeit ominous melody of "Pink Elephants on Parade" . Frightening, psychedelic imagery of invasive creatures is shown on the mist-screens.)

ROCK CHORUS: Look out!
Look out!

ROCK VOCALIST: Pachyderm!

They're here! They're there!
Oh, no! Look out!
They're everywhere!

(The music abruptly changes to the score of a sweeping western film: "Jessie's in Trouble" of "Toy Story 2" mixed with a hint of "The Magnificent Seven." The stage has since become the western town of "Woody's Round-Up," presented in black-and-white. Black-and-white COWBOY MICKEY stands center, looking around.)

ANNOUNCER: Cowboy Crunchies, the only cereal that's sugar-frosted and dipped in chocolate proudly presents: "Mickey's Finest Hour!"

MICKEY: Well, gosh. That's me!

(Black-and-white WOODY and BULLSEYE run onstage from opposite ends, meeting center.)

WOODY: What is it, Bullseye? What's wrong? (BULLSEYE whinnies and neighs. MICKEY and WOODY watch in horror.) What's that? Jessie and Prospector are trapped in the old abandoned mine?

MICKEY: And Prospector just lit a stick of dynamite thinking it was a candle, and now they're about to be blown to smithereens? (BULLSEYE nods.) Ride like the wind, Bullseye!

(The sweeping score continues as the mist-screens show WOODY galloping atop BULLSEYE, COWBOY MICKEY - also presented in CGI - riding at the rear. BULLSEYE leaps over the Grand Canyon in a stunning display. The mist-screens fade and the stage returns to color. MICKEY, WOODY and BULLSEYE approach the "old abandoned mine," where JESSIE and STINKY PETE appeared bound and tied to a lit barrel of dynamite. MR. POTATO HEAD, aka "ONE-EYED BART" stands atop the island's highest peak.)

MICKEY & WOODY: One-Eyed Bart!

WOODY: You got a date with justice, One-Eyed Bart!

JESSIE: Woody! Mickey! Save us!

POTATO HEAD: Heh-heh-heh! What're you looking at ya hockey puck?

MICKEY: We're looking at you! You've reached the end of the line, Bart!

POTATO HEAD: I always wanted to go out with a bang!

(POTATO HEAD pushes a button, igniting the lit barrel of dynamite into an explosion of water and pyrotechnics. WOODY, MICKEY, STINKY PETE, JESSIE, BULLSEYE and POTATO HEAD all fall in a field of ash and smoke on the mist-screens, clearly disoriented. Our focus returns to MICKEY, now a sorcerer again, who falls with a splash into the foreground of Atlantica. MICKEY swims alongside ARIEL toward the icon of KING TRITON's castle. ARIEL's legendary "Ah-ah-ahs" fill the air as Atlantica fades into the Drop-off of "Finding Nemo." MR. RAY, NEMO, DORY and MARLIN swim past as an instrumental of "Part of Your World" subdues into "Nemo Egg" of Thomas Newman's incredible score. An entire school of manta-rays soar past.

The calm music trickles into the familiar intro of "Under the Sea." SEBASTIAN appears, singing to a delighted SORCERER MICKEY. Colorful fish and sea life dance around with MICKEY on the island and mist-screens.)

1515623879674-png.255625

SEBASTIAN: Hey-hey!
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake.
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake!
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things around you
What more is you lookin' for?

(GENIE suddenly appears, picking SEBASTIAN up by the shell. Various animated bits of "Friend Like Me" occur over the following as a now-onstage SORCERER MICKEY watches.)

GENIE: Thank you! (GENIE tosses SEBASTIAN aside) I don't think you quite realize whatchu got here. So why don't you just ruminate whilst I illuminate the possibilities? (Sings) Can your friends do this? (GENIE turns into DONALD)

MICKEY: Well, uh -

GENIE: Can your friends do that? (He turns into GOOFY)

MICKEY: Well look at that!

GENIE: Can your friends pull this? (GENIE pulls his arm and spins into a pinwheel.)
Out their little hat? (The stage is transformed into the neon outline of Agrabah, complete with dancing MONKEYS, CAMELS and ELEPHANTS.)
Can your friends go poof?
Well looky here! (Belly dancers join the dancing creatures. MICKEY does a baffled chuckle.)
Can your friends go abracadabra, let her rip,
And then make the sucker disappear?
You ain't never had a friend like me! Yeah!

(LUMIERE suddenly interrupts from the mist-screen. With a tip of his "hat," he begins a rousing chorus of "Be Our Guest." SORCERER MICKEY, also on the mist-screen, sits in place of BELLE at the table. Throughout, dancing dishware and such are shown in a variety of patterns on the island as the fountains continue to "dance.")

LUMIERE: Ma chere Mickey Mouse, it is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight, so please...
(Sings) Be our guest, be our guest
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, Mickey,
And we provide the rest -

(The music quickly jumps to the song's finale. This is the most spectacular imagery we've seen yet!)

CHORUS: Course by course, one by one
'Til you shout, "enough I'm done!"
Then we'll sing you off to sleep as you digest
Tonight you'll prop your feet up
But for now, let's eat up
Be our guest
Be our guest
Be our guest
Please, be our guest!

(Champagne bottles pop their corks and spew out their alcoholic contents, once again bringing us beneath the surface where JIMINY CRICKET swims in search of PINOCCHIO. A calm instrumental of "When You Wish Upon a Star" plays underneath. PINOCCHIO is briefly seen before swimming out of sight.)

JIMINY: Pinocchio! We're down here! (Floating past in a bubble, JIMINY uses his umbrella to catch his astray hat from a different bubble.) Wha? Ho, there! (His bubble fills with water and pops. A school of fish scurry past with the voice of the krill from "Finding Nemo.")

FISH: Swim away!

(The music grows suspenseful as MONSTRO the whale awakens, frightening JIMINY. The threatening music is almost "JAWS"-like as MONSTRO gives chase, splashing the water and launching with an open-mouth toward us. Just before he can bite, the screens fade to a terrified SORCERER MICKEY caught in a swirling vortex of water.)

MICKEY: Help! Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa! (The darkness consumes MICKEY, showing only his bright eyes engulfed in shadow. He looks around.) Hey, uh - what's goin' on? Uh-oh!

(The music grows louder and more suspenseful as thunder and lightning engulf the stage and screens. We see some sort of tribal island watercraft amid the stormy sea, tossed among the waves.

When the lights come back on, we find ourselves in a large undersea cavern, centered by a large mound of sparkly, golden treasure. MOANA and MAUI carefully approach it. Suddenly, the mound moves and shifts to reveal that it's merely the shell of the monstrous crab TAMATOA! He eyes the two human intruders suspiciously, before his gaze falls on MAUI.)

TAMATOA: Well, well, well
Little Maui's having trouble with his look
You little semi-demi-mini-god
Ouch! What a terrible performance
Get the hook! (Get it?)
You don't swing it like you used to, man
Yet I have to give you credit for my start
And your tattoos on the outside
For just like you I made myself a work of art
I'll never hide, I can't!
I'm too shiny!

(TAMATOA starts to hunt down MAUI.)

So, get in, 'cause it's the last you'll ever see
C'est la vie, mon ami
I'm so shiny!
Now I'll eat you so prepare your final plea
Just for me

(TAMATOA's skin changes. He now looks like some kind of neon, glow-in-the-dark nightmare!)

You'll never be quite as shiny
You wish you were nice and shiny

latest

(But just before TAMATOA can deal the final blow, MOANA stands defiant, holding up a green rock.)

MOANA: Hey! I got something shiny for ya.

TAMATOA: The heart of Te Fiti...

(MOANA tosses it aside, so she and MAUI can escape. TAMATOA rushes over to the rock and looks it over.)

TAMATOA: Yes! I have the-wait a minute... Augh! Oh, I see. She's taken a barnacle, and she's covered it in bioluminescent algae. As a diversion. (crushes the barnacle) GRAAHH! (noticing the escaping MOANA and MAUI) Hey! Hey! ...Did you like the song?

(The lair and TAMATOA disappear. All is quiet. Suddenly, we see the outline of a large stingray travel across the projection screens. The stingray glows a bright blue. The voice of GRAMMA TALA sings.)

GRAMMA TALA: Sometimes the world seems against you
The journey may leave a scar
But scars can heal and reveal just
Where you are

(Lights up to reveal MOANA aboard her tamaran.)

MOANA: I am a girl who loves my island
And the girl who loves the sea, it calls me
I am the daughter of the village chief
We are descended from voyagers
Who found their way across the world
They call me
I've delivered us to where we are
I have journeyed farther
I am everything I've learned and more
Still it calls me

(The spirits of her ANCESTORS appear on the water screens.)

And the call isn't out there at all
It's inside me
It's like the tide
Always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart
You'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!!!

(Suddenly, the music swells as as many other tamarans come and sail across the lagoon, with MOANA's fellow VILLAGERS on board. All the tamarans sail triumphantly across the waves.)

maxresdefault.jpg

CHORUS & VOCALIST: Aue, aue!
We set a course to find
A brand new island everywhere we roam
Aue, aue!
We keep our island in our mind
And when it's time to find home, we know the way

Aue, aue!
We are explorers reading every sign
We tell the stories of our elders in a never-ending chain
Aue, aue!
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way!

(The shadow of MAUI in his eagle form is projected flying over the island. As the tamarans sail off for new voyages, the projected hand of SORCERER MICKEY wields a paintbrush, illustrating a sorcerer's hat against a starry-sky background.)

FEMALE VOCALIST: See it in your mind,
And you can find
In your imagination
Tales of enchantment,
Beauty and romance,
Happily ever after!

(The moon of the Sorcerer's Hat pans down to reveal the cityscape of Agrabah. Through the water screens, we can see ALADDIN and JASMINE aboard their magic carpet. We follow them as they soar through the desert.)

MALE VOCALIST: A whole new world
With new horizons to pursue

MALE VOCALIST & FEMALE VOCALIST: I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you...

FA_desktop_Fantasmic1_800.jpg

(The music fades away as the O.G. 1992 arrangement of a familiar Disney love ballad starts up. BELLE and the BEAST appear on a decorative barge, sharing a waltz.)

MALE SOLOIST: Tale as old as time,
True as it can be.
Barely even friends,
Then somebody bends,
Unexpectedly.
Certain as the sun,
Rising in the east.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Tale as old as time,
Song as old as rhyme,
Beauty and the Beast.

(Their barge crosses paths with another barge. ARIEL - with fins - joins ERIC on another decorative barge. ERIC dances around her as she flips her tail.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: What would I give
If I could live
Out of these waters?

MALE SOLOIST: In your imagination!

FEMALE SOLOIST: What would I pay
To spend a day
Warm on the sand?

MALE SOLOIST: Dream a fantastic dream!

FEMALE SOLOIST: Betcha on land,
They understand.
Bet they don’t reprimand their daughters.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Bright young women,
Sick of swimmin’…

FEMALE SOLOIST: Ready to stand!

MALE SOLOIST: Ready to stand!

(Finally, SNOW WHITE and PRINCE FLORIAN appear on their own barge, also dancing.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: Someday, my prince will come.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Someday, we’ll find true love!

FEMALE SOLOIST: Tale as old as time…

MALE SOLOIST: Song as old as rhyme…

(Once more, the music grows ominous. The COUPLES have vanished and we are left with the EVIL QUEEN of "Snow White." )

1515633008533-png.255634

QUEEN: Slave in the magic mirror, come from the farthest space! Through wind and darkness, I summon thee. Speak! (A crack of thunder. The frame of the MAGIC MIRROR appears.) Let me see thy face! (The MIRROR's face appears, as originally voiced by Tony Jay.)

MIRROR: Famed is thy beauty, Majesty. But hold: lovelier maids I see. And here, in Mickey's imagination, beauty and love will always supplieth.

QUEEN: No! (The music swells as the QUEEN begins to conjure a spell from her bubbling cauldron.) A magic spell in the black of night! With a scream of fright! (A terrible scream rings out) And a bolt of light! Turn my hair to white... (Trickling strings and a foreboding fanfare signal the QUEEN's transformation - right in front of us - into the OLD HAG. SHE cackles.) Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare fantasmic! Imagine this! Hahahaha! (The image of MICKEY suddenly appears floating in the MIRROR.)

MICKEY: Hey! What's goin' on here?!

QUEEN: Magic mirror, on the wall, all the forces of evil I call... Hahahaha! (MICKEY screams in fright as evil shadows materialize in the mirror and on the island.)

MIRROR: (Reappears, fading over a screaming MICKEY) You have the power...

QUEEN: (Fading over the face of the MIRROR) To control his mind... (SHE cackles, transforming into URSULA)

latest

URSULA: Oh yes! How exciting! Let's do it! (URSULA laughs as a number of "poor unfortunate souls" look up in horror from the island and mist-screens. The music swells into "Poor Unfortunate Souls." Flotsam and Jetsam zip past on the riverfront, their eyes aglow. A physical animatronic of URSULA appears on her own barge.) Hello!
(Sings) I admit that in the past, I've been a nasty.
They weren't kidding when they called me, well, "a witch."
(Spoken) Ursula will take matters into her own tentacles. Ha! Mickey Mouse's mind will be mine! (MICKEY, composed of sludge and filth, appears frightened in the frame of the mirror, harassed by a pair of claw-like sludge-arms.) To belong to me...to obey my every whim! Why not? Let's do it!

(With a sudden blast of smoke, the island is ignited into the Elephant Graveyard. A gigantic puppet of SCAR appears, teasing MICKEY.)

SCAR: Life's not fair, is it? You see, I shall never be king. And you shall never see the light of another day... (As SCAR proceeds to chase MICKEY, the shadows of goose-stepping hyenas file past on the island, which has turned into a wasteland of steam and rocks.)
(Sings) So prepare for the coup of the century
Be prepared for the murkiest scam.
Meticulous planning, tenacity spanning
Decades of denial is simply why I'll
Be king undisputed, respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am.
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared!
Be prepared!

(With a laugh, SCAR is about to do MICKEY in, when suddenly...A puff of smoke shoots up from out of nowhere! A pool of purple light comes up on DR. FACILIER, standing on the edge of the island.)

FACILIER: Mickey Mouse! A tip of the hat from "Dr. Facilier." Care to make a deal? (MICKEY is still on the island. SCAR has since vanished.)

MICKEY: Uh, no, I don't think so!

FACILIER: Oh, but I can help you get out of this nightmare, friend... But first, I'll need a little help from my friends on the other side... (Sings)
I got voodoo, I got hoodoo
I got things I ain't even tried!
And I got friends on the other side...

CHORUS: He's got friends on the other side.

FACILIER: Especially this friend.

(With a puff of ominous smoke seeping from the mountain, the giant, hulking animatronic form of CHERNABOG rises from behind the island. The mountain on the island becomes Bald Mountain. "Night on Bald Mountain" plays as CHERNABOG summons horrific spirits.)

1515635204449-png.255639

(At the climax of the classic - and traumatic - "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence, the mist-screens part to reveal BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR MICKEY face-to-face with MALEFICENT upon the island. An eerie, orange glow engulfs the riverfront.)

MALEFICENT: Now you will deal with me - and all the powers of my imagination!

MICKEY: Oh no!

(MALEFICENT casts a fiery spell at MICKEY, striking him. MALEFICENT begins to rise high above the earth with a dramatic crescendo of music, casting dark magic from her glistening scepter. Enchanted briars begin to entangle the island and riverfront. SHE cackles wildly as she ascends to the stars. MICKEY looks up in horror. HE knows what's next... The mist-screens reveal the startling transformation of MALEFICENT into a fire-breathing DRAGON. Briefly, the DRAGON morphs back into all the VILLAINS we have encountered thus far...)

QUEEN: (Cackles) Imagination!

(The VILLAINS all appear again, one by one, cackling wickedly. First URSULA, then SCAR, and then FACILIER. CHERNABOG breaks the brief montage with a growl, then morphs into the silhouette of the DRAGON.

The music grows more and more suspenseful as the dark silhouette gradually subdues into an actual, 45-foot DRAGON standing tall above the riverfront. The yellow-eyed monstrosity looks around for the cowering MICKEY. At the height of the music, the lumbering beast bellows a flamethrower from its maw, setting the waters aflame in a brilliant heat.)

DSC_8587.JPG

MICKEY: Uh, you may think you're so powerful. (Laughs feebly) Well, uh, this is my dream!

(As expected, MICKEY uses the power inside himself to vanquish the DRAGON, casting his sword toward her. With a burst of light, MALEFICENT is overrun with electric current and sparkling magic, screaming and rearing in agony. The mist-screens depict the various villains writhing in defeat. CHERNABOG retracts from the light, FACILIER is pulled screaming into the "other side," SCAR is flung off Pride Rock, URSULA, electrocuted, sinks beneath the sea, and the OLD HAG painfully reverts into the EVIL QUEEN with a horrid scream. Finally, the DRAGON vanishes in a pyrotechnic spectacular. A brief blackout segues into TINKERBELL fluttering about, restoring light and color to the dark riverfront. As the lighthearted music grows, the light returns, colorful fountains and projections restoring hope and light to Mickey's dream. A life-sized replica of Steamboat Willie comes into sight, piloted by STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY.)

steamboat-willie-mickey-mouse-disney-1928-001b.jpg

(Swirling pinwheels on the side of the boat give way to a dancing collection of DISNEY CHARACTERS waving ribbons to the theme of "Imagination." These CHARACTERS include: MINNIE, DONALD, GOOFY, PLUTO, CHIP, DALE, ALADDIN, JASMINE, GENIE, BELLE, THE BEAST, RAPUNZEL, FLYNN, QUASIMODO, HERCULES, ARIEL, ERIC, SNOW WHITE, PRINCE FLORIAN, DOPEY, TIANA, NAVEEN, MOANA, MARY POPPINS, BERT, POCAHONTAS, PINOCCHIO, WINNIE THE POOH, TIGGER, CINDERELLA, PRINCE CHARMING, AURORA, PHILLIP, LILO, STITCH, PETER PAN, MOWGLI, BALOO, TIMON, RAFIKI, WOODY, JESSIE and BUZZ LIGHTYEAR.)

CHORUS: See it in your mind,
And you will find,
In your imagination,
Mysteries and magic,
Visions fantastic,
Leading to strange and wondrous dreams!

Dreams are make-believe,
But could they all come true?

Aah, aah, aah!
In your imagination!
Aah, aah, aah!
In your imagination!

Here in your mind,
It's magic you'll find.
When out of the night,
Dark forces ignite
To blind you with frightening speed,
You use your might
To brighten the light,
Creating a night of wondrous deeds!

1515647157433-png.255670

(As the steamboat finally fades out of sight, SORCERER MICKEY magically appears onstage from the top of the island, once more conducting the riverfront in a spectacular array of color, fountains, lasers and pyrotechnics. At the climax of the music, MICKEY disappears from the top of the island and reappears on the stage below, wearing the same attire from the show's beginning. A few subtle notes of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" play, to which MICKEY conducts.)

MICKEY: Some imagination, huh? Hah-hah!

(MICKEY disappears, one final time to an epic fanfare and conclusion of fireworks.)

THE END

==========================================================================================

As the lights come back up, the crowd jumps to its feet for a massive standing ovation (something that occurs quite often at Fantasmic!, as I have heard tell). We clap till our hands grow red and cheer till our voices go hoarse. As the jubilation settles and the iconic "Exit Music" plays, the crowd starts going their separate ways. Some opt to leave right away to catch the next bus back to the hotel or get to their car, some opt to stop by the concession and souvenir stands before leaving, and some are content to just sit around, enjoying the night, waiting to give one final hoarse cheer for the Exit Music (as I'm sure we have all done when we've gone to see a musical).

At last, it comes time to leave. As we head off for Hollywood Boulevard one last time, we see searchlights waving behind the Chinese Theatre. This is Disney's Hollywoodland's way of saying "goodbye". Actually, "goodbye" doesn't sound right for a park like this. It's more like..."That's a wrap!"

4794561729_b362d4b7cc.jpg

MANEATINGWREATH

Imagine, my friends......Night has cast its shadow upon Disney's Hollywoodland. The bright lights of Hollywood shine brighter than ever. While some take this opportunity to revisit their favorite rides before the park closes for the night, most gather round at the farthest edge of the park for an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. This is, of course...

Fantasmic!
fantasmic-2.jpg

Fantasmic! is the nighttime show to end all nighttime shows here at Disney. This is a spectacular nighttime pageant as presented at the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, a few feet beyond Sunset Boulevard. A mysterious island, dwarfed by a mighty mountain, is the stage for a timeless clash between good and evil, with lasers, projection mapping, cascading waters, extraordinary digital projections, and breathtaking pyrotechnics.

The show is going to go through an extensive refurbishment, much like the one Disneyland's went under last summer, improving both technical and show segments to the nighttime production. All around, lighting, fountains and pyrotechnic features are going to be updated and improved. The projection system utilized for these huge water screens is going to be updated to HD projectors, to deliver a crystal clear projection performance (to my understanding, I've heard this has already been done). Also, the sound quality of the attraction is going to be touched upon, just touching up on all of the technical qualities of the show.

In addition to the technical qualities of the show, the show will receive some all-new scenes. With the success of Fantasmic 2.0, as it's come to be known, I decided that Walt Disney World's needed an update. For this, I was largely inspired by the draft @MANEATINGWREATH put out for his Dream Disney Resort thread. So, without further ado, let's dive in!

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic_Full_3153.jpg

(Instrumental arrangements of Disney classics are our sole entertainment as we look toward a mysterious island, set around a gigantic mountain. The spotlights on the gate in front of the stage have been removed and moved to the back of the theater, out of the way of guests' vision. Trees surround the area from all over. Walls of moss surround the mountain, hiding any backstage views. A sprawling plateau rests at the base of the mountain. There are also a series of trap doors within the stage that allows quicker set and character changes.

Suddenly, a hush falls over the crowd. The warm voice of our female narrator fills our ears...)

NARRATOR: Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight, our friend and host, Mickey Mouse, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination - for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy or an exciting adventure! But beware... Nothing is more powerful than the imagination - for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. (As the lights come to a blackout, a dim musical chord begins to linger on the horizon, gradually growing louder and closer.) Are the powers of Mickey's incredible imagination strong enough and bright enough to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey's dream? You are about to find out. For now we invite you to join Mickey and experience Fantasmic! - a journey beyond your wildest imagination...

(As the musical cord grows into an exhilarating crescendo, pixie dust begins to materialize among the shadows, briefly illuminating parts of the barren stage. With a triumphant fanfare, a single spotlight blasts to the night sky, the stage now awash in a technicolor glow. MICKEY MOUSE appears, audibly amazed by his fantastical surroundings. Over the following CHORUS, twirling searchlights and colored lights swirl about the arena, all in time with a frenzied build of musical notes.)

CHORUS: Imagination! (Imagination!)
Dream a fantastic dream!
Use your imagination!

1515617454538-png.255591

(With a chuckle, MICKEY discovers that - this being his dream - he can control not just the water, but the lights and air around him. To the inspired theme of "Imagination" - the iconic theme of the original "Fantasmic!," MICKEY transforms the entire riverfront into a technicolor whirl of dancing fountains and soaring pyrotechnics, all while colorful designs and figures engulf the stage. At one point, the fountains take the shape of the famous Sorcerer's Hat, as the projections fill in the moon and stars. As a "grand finale" to the act, MICKEY points one finger in either direction, blasting a stream of golden sparks from either fingertip. With one last chuckle and a shooting star, MICKEY vanishes, replaced by the traditional mist-screens of "Fantasmic!"

SORCERER MICKEY continues the dream-like fantasy, conducting an array of swirling lights, colored fountains and - of course - the marching broomsticks, all to the theme of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." As they do in "Fantasia," the broomsticks become carried away, tossing their water-buckets into the river and subsequently "flooding" Mickey's dream. With a burst of power and shower of stars, SORCERER MICKEY halts the chaos, calming the music into a relaxed refrain... The dream transforms into an interstellar field of stars, marked by a shooting star passing overhead. Twinkling constellations and comets soar past on both the mist-screens and the island.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: See it in your mind,
And you can find
In your imagination
(WALL-E and EVE soar past, fire-extinguisher at hand, carelessly waltzing among the stars. A hint of "Define Dancing" plays underneath.)
Mysteries and magic,
Visions fantastic,
Leading to strange and wondrous dreams.

(WALL-E and EVE soar out of sight, followed by SORCERER MICKEY, also afloat in space. The relaxed orchestration continues as an amazed MICKEY discovers a field of jewel-like ice crystals. The glistening crystals float about in time with the music, forming into the silhouette of MINNIE. MICKEY bows, offering a dance. The two waltz among the stars for only a moment, interrupted by a sudden change in music. MINNIE scatters and vanishes. MICKEY turns, facing the sun. As MICKEY transforms into a black silhouette, the sun itself has transformed into the iconic opening sunrise of "The Lion King." An intrigued MICKEY walks toward the horizon.)

lion-king-circle-of-life-sunrise.png

MALE SOLOIST: Nants ingoyama bagithi baba!

(The sunrise fades into the image of BABY SIMBA held aloft by RAFIKI, a kaleidoscope of African designs and animals marching past.)

CHORUS: Sithi uhm ingonyama!

(The CHORUS continues the usual "Circle of Life" chant before the music takes a sudden turn for the mysterious... The mist-screens shutter, subsequently revealing a throng of large puppets representing jungle animals moving about the island. Towering trees and exotic flora have taken over the stage as the rampant pace of tribal drums fills the air, accommodated by an eerie flute. With an adventurous fanfare, the drums grow wilder as a quartet of barges 'cross the water. Tribal designs overwhelm the stage.)

4241619689_6958bc1acd_z.jpg

(Peculiar, muti-patterned MONKEYS perform an exhilarating dance from each barge, with RAFIKI joining in on the central-most barge. The flute plays the theme of "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" as the tribal drums play underneath. As the barges fade, the island is transformed into a thundering, jungle waterfall where TIMON, PUMBAA, SIMBA and SORCERER MICKEY cross the iconic log-bridge of "Hakuna Matata." Of course, the music here changes to a jazzy instrumental of "Hakuna Matata".)

CHORUS: Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna! Matata!
Hakuna!

(The tribal beat stops. The jungle disappears. Heavy metal overwhelms the score as Mickey's dream is taken over by the PINK ELEPHANTS of "Dumbo" infamy!)

(An electric guitar, bass and drums plunk out the familiar, albeit ominous melody of "Pink Elephants on Parade" . Frightening, psychedelic imagery of invasive creatures is shown on the mist-screens.)

ROCK CHORUS: Look out!
Look out!

ROCK VOCALIST: Pachyderm!

They're here! They're there!
Oh, no! Look out!
They're everywhere!

(The music abruptly changes to the score of a sweeping western film: "Jessie's in Trouble" of "Toy Story 2" mixed with a hint of "The Magnificent Seven." The stage has since become the western town of "Woody's Round-Up," presented in black-and-white. Black-and-white COWBOY MICKEY stands center, looking around.)

ANNOUNCER: Cowboy Crunchies, the only cereal that's sugar-frosted and dipped in chocolate proudly presents: "Mickey's Finest Hour!"

MICKEY: Well, gosh. That's me!

(Black-and-white WOODY and BULLSEYE run onstage from opposite ends, meeting center.)

WOODY: What is it, Bullseye? What's wrong? (BULLSEYE whinnies and neighs. MICKEY and WOODY watch in horror.) What's that? Jessie and Prospector are trapped in the old abandoned mine?

MICKEY: And Prospector just lit a stick of dynamite thinking it was a candle, and now they're about to be blown to smithereens? (BULLSEYE nods.) Ride like the wind, Bullseye!

(The sweeping score continues as the mist-screens show WOODY galloping atop BULLSEYE, COWBOY MICKEY - also presented in CGI - riding at the rear. BULLSEYE leaps over the Grand Canyon in a stunning display. The mist-screens fade and the stage returns to color. MICKEY, WOODY and BULLSEYE approach the "old abandoned mine," where JESSIE and STINKY PETE appeared bound and tied to a lit barrel of dynamite. MR. POTATO HEAD, aka "ONE-EYED BART" stands atop the island's highest peak.)

MICKEY & WOODY: One-Eyed Bart!

WOODY: You got a date with justice, One-Eyed Bart!

JESSIE: Woody! Mickey! Save us!

POTATO HEAD: Heh-heh-heh! What're you looking at ya hockey puck?

MICKEY: We're looking at you! You've reached the end of the line, Bart!

POTATO HEAD: I always wanted to go out with a bang!

(POTATO HEAD pushes a button, igniting the lit barrel of dynamite into an explosion of water and pyrotechnics. WOODY, MICKEY, STINKY PETE, JESSIE, BULLSEYE and POTATO HEAD all fall in a field of ash and smoke on the mist-screens, clearly disoriented. Our focus returns to MICKEY, now a sorcerer again, who falls with a splash into the foreground of Atlantica. MICKEY swims alongside ARIEL toward the icon of KING TRITON's castle. ARIEL's legendary "Ah-ah-ahs" fill the air as Atlantica fades into the Drop-off of "Finding Nemo." MR. RAY, NEMO, DORY and MARLIN swim past as an instrumental of "Part of Your World" subdues into "Nemo Egg" of Thomas Newman's incredible score. An entire school of manta-rays soar past.

The calm music trickles into the familiar intro of "Under the Sea." SEBASTIAN appears, singing to a delighted SORCERER MICKEY. Colorful fish and sea life dance around with MICKEY on the island and mist-screens.)

1515623879674-png.255625

SEBASTIAN: Hey-hey!
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake.
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake!
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things around you
What more is you lookin' for?

(GENIE suddenly appears, picking SEBASTIAN up by the shell. Various animated bits of "Friend Like Me" occur over the following as a now-onstage SORCERER MICKEY watches.)

GENIE: Thank you! (GENIE tosses SEBASTIAN aside) I don't think you quite realize whatchu got here. So why don't you just ruminate whilst I illuminate the possibilities? (Sings) Can your friends do this? (GENIE turns into DONALD)

MICKEY: Well, uh -

GENIE: Can your friends do that? (He turns into GOOFY)

MICKEY: Well look at that!

GENIE: Can your friends pull this? (GENIE pulls his arm and spins into a pinwheel.)
Out their little hat? (The stage is transformed into the neon outline of Agrabah, complete with dancing MONKEYS, CAMELS and ELEPHANTS.)
Can your friends go poof?
Well looky here! (Belly dancers join the dancing creatures. MICKEY does a baffled chuckle.)
Can your friends go abracadabra, let her rip,
And then make the sucker disappear?
You ain't never had a friend like me! Yeah!

(LUMIERE suddenly interrupts from the mist-screen. With a tip of his "hat," he begins a rousing chorus of "Be Our Guest." SORCERER MICKEY, also on the mist-screen, sits in place of BELLE at the table. Throughout, dancing dishware and such are shown in a variety of patterns on the island as the fountains continue to "dance.")

LUMIERE: Ma chere Mickey Mouse, it is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight, so please...
(Sings) Be our guest, be our guest
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, Mickey,
And we provide the rest -

(The music quickly jumps to the song's finale. This is the most spectacular imagery we've seen yet!)

CHORUS: Course by course, one by one
'Til you shout, "enough I'm done!"
Then we'll sing you off to sleep as you digest
Tonight you'll prop your feet up
But for now, let's eat up
Be our guest
Be our guest
Be our guest
Please, be our guest!

(Champagne bottles pop their corks and spew out their alcoholic contents, once again bringing us beneath the surface where JIMINY CRICKET swims in search of PINOCCHIO. A calm instrumental of "When You Wish Upon a Star" plays underneath. PINOCCHIO is briefly seen before swimming out of sight.)

JIMINY: Pinocchio! We're down here! (Floating past in a bubble, JIMINY uses his umbrella to catch his astray hat from a different bubble.) Wha? Ho, there! (His bubble fills with water and pops. A school of fish scurry past with the voice of the krill from "Finding Nemo.")

FISH: Swim away!

(The music grows suspenseful as MONSTRO the whale awakens, frightening JIMINY. The threatening music is almost "JAWS"-like as MONSTRO gives chase, splashing the water and launching with an open-mouth toward us. Just before he can bite, the screens fade to a terrified SORCERER MICKEY caught in a swirling vortex of water.)

MICKEY: Help! Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa! (The darkness consumes MICKEY, showing only his bright eyes engulfed in shadow. He looks around.) Hey, uh - what's goin' on? Uh-oh!

(The music grows louder and more suspenseful as thunder and lightning engulf the stage and screens. We see some sort of tribal island watercraft amid the stormy sea, tossed among the waves.

When the lights come back on, we find ourselves in a large undersea cavern, centered by a large mound of sparkly, golden treasure. MOANA and MAUI carefully approach it. Suddenly, the mound moves and shifts to reveal that it's merely the shell of the monstrous crab TAMATOA! He eyes the two human intruders suspiciously, before his gaze falls on MAUI.)

TAMATOA: Well, well, well
Little Maui's having trouble with his look
You little semi-demi-mini-god
Ouch! What a terrible performance
Get the hook! (Get it?)
You don't swing it like you used to, man
Yet I have to give you credit for my start
And your tattoos on the outside
For just like you I made myself a work of art
I'll never hide, I can't!
I'm too shiny!

(TAMATOA starts to hunt down MAUI.)

So, get in, 'cause it's the last you'll ever see
C'est la vie, mon ami
I'm so shiny!
Now I'll eat you so prepare your final plea
Just for me

(TAMATOA's skin changes. He now looks like some kind of neon, glow-in-the-dark nightmare!)

You'll never be quite as shiny
You wish you were nice and shiny

latest

(But just before TAMATOA can deal the final blow, MOANA stands defiant, holding up a green rock.)

MOANA: Hey! I got something shiny for ya.

TAMATOA: The heart of Te Fiti...

(MOANA tosses it aside, so she and MAUI can escape. TAMATOA rushes over to the rock and looks it over.)

TAMATOA: Yes! I have the-wait a minute... Augh! Oh, I see. She's taken a barnacle, and she's covered it in bioluminescent algae. As a diversion. (crushes the barnacle) GRAAHH! (noticing the escaping MOANA and MAUI) Hey! Hey! ...Did you like the song?

(The lair and TAMATOA disappear. All is quiet. Suddenly, we see the outline of a large stingray travel across the projection screens. The stingray glows a bright blue. The voice of GRAMMA TALA sings.)

GRAMMA TALA: Sometimes the world seems against you
The journey may leave a scar
But scars can heal and reveal just
Where you are

(Lights up to reveal MOANA aboard her tamaran.)

MOANA: I am a girl who loves my island
And the girl who loves the sea, it calls me
I am the daughter of the village chief
We are descended from voyagers
Who found their way across the world
They call me
I've delivered us to where we are
I have journeyed farther
I am everything I've learned and more
Still it calls me

(The spirits of her ANCESTORS appear on the water screens.)

And the call isn't out there at all
It's inside me
It's like the tide
Always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart
You'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!!!

(Suddenly, the music swells as as many other tamarans come and sail across the lagoon, with MOANA's fellow VILLAGERS on board. All the tamarans sail triumphantly across the waves.)

maxresdefault.jpg

CHORUS & VOCALIST: Aue, aue!
We set a course to find
A brand new island everywhere we roam
Aue, aue!
We keep our island in our mind
And when it's time to find home, we know the way

Aue, aue!
We are explorers reading every sign
We tell the stories of our elders in a never-ending chain
Aue, aue!
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way!

(The shadow of MAUI in his eagle form is projected flying over the island. As the tamarans sail off for new voyages, the projected hand of SORCERER MICKEY wields a paintbrush, illustrating a sorcerer's hat against a starry-sky background.)

FEMALE VOCALIST: See it in your mind,
And you can find
In your imagination
Tales of enchantment,
Beauty and romance,
Happily ever after!

(The moon of the Sorcerer's Hat pans down to reveal the cityscape of Agrabah. Through the water screens, we can see ALADDIN and JASMINE aboard their magic carpet. We follow them as they soar through the desert.)

MALE VOCALIST: A whole new world
With new horizons to pursue

MALE VOCALIST & FEMALE VOCALIST: I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you...

FA_desktop_Fantasmic1_800.jpg

(The music fades away as the O.G. 1992 arrangement of a familiar Disney love ballad starts up. BELLE and the BEAST appear on a decorative barge, sharing a waltz.)

MALE SOLOIST: Tale as old as time,
True as it can be.
Barely even friends,
Then somebody bends,
Unexpectedly.
Certain as the sun,
Rising in the east.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Tale as old as time,
Song as old as rhyme,
Beauty and the Beast.

(Their barge crosses paths with another barge. ARIEL - with fins - joins ERIC on another decorative barge. ERIC dances around her as she flips her tail.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: What would I give
If I could live
Out of these waters?

MALE SOLOIST: In your imagination!

FEMALE SOLOIST: What would I pay
To spend a day
Warm on the sand?

MALE SOLOIST: Dream a fantastic dream!

FEMALE SOLOIST: Betcha on land,
They understand.
Bet they don’t reprimand their daughters.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Bright young women,
Sick of swimmin’…

FEMALE SOLOIST: Ready to stand!

MALE SOLOIST: Ready to stand!

(Finally, SNOW WHITE and PRINCE FLORIAN appear on their own barge, also dancing.)

FEMALE SOLOIST: Someday, my prince will come.

MALE AND FEMALE SOLOISTS: Someday, we’ll find true love!

FEMALE SOLOIST: Tale as old as time…

MALE SOLOIST: Song as old as rhyme…

(Once more, the music grows ominous. The COUPLES have vanished and we are left with the EVIL QUEEN of "Snow White." )

1515633008533-png.255634

QUEEN: Slave in the magic mirror, come from the farthest space! Through wind and darkness, I summon thee. Speak! (A crack of thunder. The frame of the MAGIC MIRROR appears.) Let me see thy face! (The MIRROR's face appears, as originally voiced by Tony Jay.)

MIRROR: Famed is thy beauty, Majesty. But hold: lovelier maids I see. And here, in Mickey's imagination, beauty and love will always supplieth.

QUEEN: No! (The music swells as the QUEEN begins to conjure a spell from her bubbling cauldron.) A magic spell in the black of night! With a scream of fright! (A terrible scream rings out) And a bolt of light! Turn my hair to white... (Trickling strings and a foreboding fanfare signal the QUEEN's transformation - right in front of us - into the OLD HAG. SHE cackles.) Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare fantasmic! Imagine this! Hahahaha! (The image of MICKEY suddenly appears floating in the MIRROR.)

MICKEY: Hey! What's goin' on here?!

QUEEN: Magic mirror, on the wall, all the forces of evil I call... Hahahaha! (MICKEY screams in fright as evil shadows materialize in the mirror and on the island.)

MIRROR: (Reappears, fading over a screaming MICKEY) You have the power...

QUEEN: (Fading over the face of the MIRROR) To control his mind... (SHE cackles, transforming into URSULA)

latest

URSULA: Oh yes! How exciting! Let's do it! (URSULA laughs as a number of "poor unfortunate souls" look up in horror from the island and mist-screens. The music swells into "Poor Unfortunate Souls." Flotsam and Jetsam zip past on the riverfront, their eyes aglow. A physical animatronic of URSULA appears on her own barge.) Hello!
(Sings) I admit that in the past, I've been a nasty.
They weren't kidding when they called me, well, "a witch."
(Spoken) Ursula will take matters into her own tentacles. Ha! Mickey Mouse's mind will be mine! (MICKEY, composed of sludge and filth, appears frightened in the frame of the mirror, harassed by a pair of claw-like sludge-arms.) To belong to me...to obey my every whim! Why not? Let's do it!

(With a sudden blast of smoke, the island is ignited into the Elephant Graveyard. A gigantic puppet of SCAR appears, teasing MICKEY.)

SCAR: Life's not fair, is it? You see, I shall never be king. And you shall never see the light of another day... (As SCAR proceeds to chase MICKEY, the shadows of goose-stepping hyenas file past on the island, which has turned into a wasteland of steam and rocks.)
(Sings) So prepare for the coup of the century
Be prepared for the murkiest scam.
Meticulous planning, tenacity spanning
Decades of denial is simply why I'll
Be king undisputed, respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am.
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared!
Be prepared!

(With a laugh, SCAR is about to do MICKEY in, when suddenly...A puff of smoke shoots up from out of nowhere! A pool of purple light comes up on DR. FACILIER, standing on the edge of the island.)

FACILIER: Mickey Mouse! A tip of the hat from "Dr. Facilier." Care to make a deal? (MICKEY is still on the island. SCAR has since vanished.)

MICKEY: Uh, no, I don't think so!

FACILIER: Oh, but I can help you get out of this nightmare, friend... But first, I'll need a little help from my friends on the other side... (Sings)
I got voodoo, I got hoodoo
I got things I ain't even tried!
And I got friends on the other side...

CHORUS: He's got friends on the other side.

FACILIER: Especially this friend.

(With a puff of ominous smoke seeping from the mountain, the giant, hulking animatronic form of CHERNABOG rises from behind the island. The mountain on the island becomes Bald Mountain. "Night on Bald Mountain" plays as CHERNABOG summons horrific spirits.)

1515635204449-png.255639

(At the climax of the classic - and traumatic - "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence, the mist-screens part to reveal BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR MICKEY face-to-face with MALEFICENT upon the island. An eerie, orange glow engulfs the riverfront.)

MALEFICENT: Now you will deal with me - and all the powers of my imagination!

MICKEY: Oh no!

(MALEFICENT casts a fiery spell at MICKEY, striking him. MALEFICENT begins to rise high above the earth with a dramatic crescendo of music, casting dark magic from her glistening scepter. Enchanted briars begin to entangle the island and riverfront. SHE cackles wildly as she ascends to the stars. MICKEY looks up in horror. HE knows what's next... The mist-screens reveal the startling transformation of MALEFICENT into a fire-breathing DRAGON. Briefly, the DRAGON morphs back into all the VILLAINS we have encountered thus far...)

QUEEN: (Cackles) Imagination!

(The VILLAINS all appear again, one by one, cackling wickedly. First URSULA, then SCAR, and then FACILIER. CHERNABOG breaks the brief montage with a growl, then morphs into the silhouette of the DRAGON.

The music grows more and more suspenseful as the dark silhouette gradually subdues into an actual, 45-foot DRAGON standing tall above the riverfront. The yellow-eyed monstrosity looks around for the cowering MICKEY. At the height of the music, the lumbering beast bellows a flamethrower from its maw, setting the waters aflame in a brilliant heat.)

DSC_8587.JPG

MICKEY: Uh, you may think you're so powerful. (Laughs feebly) Well, uh, this is my dream!

(As expected, MICKEY uses the power inside himself to vanquish the DRAGON, casting his sword toward her. With a burst of light, MALEFICENT is overrun with electric current and sparkling magic, screaming and rearing in agony. The mist-screens depict the various villains writhing in defeat. CHERNABOG retracts from the light, FACILIER is pulled screaming into the "other side," SCAR is flung off Pride Rock, URSULA, electrocuted, sinks beneath the sea, and the OLD HAG painfully reverts into the EVIL QUEEN with a horrid scream. Finally, the DRAGON vanishes in a pyrotechnic spectacular. A brief blackout segues into TINKERBELL fluttering about, restoring light and color to the dark riverfront. As the lighthearted music grows, the light returns, colorful fountains and projections restoring hope and light to Mickey's dream. A life-sized replica of Steamboat Willie comes into sight, piloted by STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY.)

steamboat-willie-mickey-mouse-disney-1928-001b.jpg

(Swirling pinwheels on the side of the boat give way to a dancing collection of DISNEY CHARACTERS waving ribbons to the theme of "Imagination." These CHARACTERS include: MINNIE, DONALD, GOOFY, PLUTO, CHIP, DALE, ALADDIN, JASMINE, GENIE, BELLE, THE BEAST, RAPUNZEL, FLYNN, QUASIMODO, HERCULES, ARIEL, ERIC, SNOW WHITE, PRINCE FLORIAN, DOPEY, TIANA, NAVEEN, MOANA, MARY POPPINS, BERT, POCAHONTAS, PINOCCHIO, WINNIE THE POOH, TIGGER, CINDERELLA, PRINCE CHARMING, AURORA, PHILLIP, LILO, STITCH, PETER PAN, MOWGLI, BALOO, TIMON, RAFIKI, WOODY, JESSIE and BUZZ LIGHTYEAR.)

CHORUS: See it in your mind,
And you will find,
In your imagination,
Mysteries and magic,
Visions fantastic,
Leading to strange and wondrous dreams!

Dreams are make-believe,
But could they all come true?

Aah, aah, aah!
In your imagination!
Aah, aah, aah!
In your imagination!

Here in your mind,
It's magic you'll find.
When out of the night,
Dark forces ignite
To blind you with frightening speed,
You use your might
To brighten the light,
Creating a night of wondrous deeds!

1515647157433-png.255670

(As the steamboat finally fades out of sight, SORCERER MICKEY magically appears onstage from the top of the island, once more conducting the riverfront in a spectacular array of color, fountains, lasers and pyrotechnics. At the climax of the music, MICKEY disappears from the top of the island and reappears on the stage below, wearing the same attire from the show's beginning. A few subtle notes of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" play, to which MICKEY conducts.)

MICKEY: Some imagination, huh? Hah-hah!

(MICKEY disappears, one final time to an epic fanfare and conclusion of fireworks.)

THE END

As the lights come back up, the crowd jumps to its feet for a massive standing ovation (something that occurs quite often at Fantasmic!, as I have heard tell). We clap till our hands grow red and cheer till our voices go hoarse. As the jubilation settles and the iconic "Exit Music" plays, the crowd starts going their separate ways. Some opt to leave right away to catch the next bus back to the hotel or get to their car, some opt to stop by the concession and souvenir stands before leaving, and some are content to just sit around, enjoying the night, waiting to give one final hoarse cheer for the Exit Music (as I'm sure we have all done when we've gone to see a musical).

At last, it comes time to leave. As we head off for Hollywood Boulevard one last time, we see searchlights waving behind the Chinese Theatre. This is Disney's Hollywoodland's way of saying "goodbye". Actually, "goodbye" doesn't sound right for a park like this. It's more like..."That's a wrap!"

4794561729_b362d4b7cc.jpg

Great job! I like that there are a great number of differences between our two versions, almost like California and Florida in real-life. I do plan on updating my version again, so look forward to that in the near future.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Great job! I like that there are a great number of differences between our two versions, almost like California and Florida in real-life. I do plan on updating my version again, so look forward to that in the near future.

Thank you very much! I can't wait to see your new Fantasmic!. I think I may go back and update my own Fantasmic!, myself as well. I'm not sure yet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be frank, I don't have many ideas regarding Disney's Animal Kingdom. For a park that will have been around 20 years come April, not much has changed. And on top of that, most of the attractions are still in peak condition and still bring in crowds. So, I predict that my posts for Animal Kingdom will be quite few. But nonetheless, I still got quite a few ideas to spare; so let's dive right in!

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Discovery Island

~~~~~
Earth

open-uri20150422-12561-dwplro_84e720eb.jpeg

In my plans, It's Tough to Be a Bug will have found a new home in the park. So, what will replace it at its old home inside the Tree of Life? How about a show that serves as the "thesis statement", if you will, for the park: a look at the world of animals and their habitats, and what we can do to make sure they last for a long time. A collaboration between Disneynature and the BBC, they who gave the world the amazing Planet Earth series, this all-new 3D experience takes guests through various animal habitats, from the North Pole to the deep sea to the forests and savannas, revealing how plants and animals respond to the power of the sun and the changing seasons.

The film should make heavy use of the amazing visuals of Planet Earth, set to a sweeping score and a warm, inviting narration. It should serve as one of the highlights of a day at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I can't really describe what this film would look like. If you ever get the chance, watch the Planet Earth miniseries, or the Disneynature film Earth to get a better understanding of what I'd like this film to be.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Africa

~~~~~~

Kilimanjaro Safaris Refurbishment & Other Minor Stuff
3432645-Animal-Kingdom--Entry-to-Africa-0.jpg

The biggest problem with writing for Disney's Animal Kingdom is that so many of its lands are so well-themed and immersive; so you're pretty much left with minor refurbishments and new additions. Such is the case with Africa. Africa is impeccably themed and two of the park's most famous attractions--Kilimanjaro Safaris and Festival of the Lion King--can be found here.

As such, the few changes I'd make involve minor additions and one massive refurbishment. I'd add a few new ideas to "plus" Kilimanjaro Safaris.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kilimanjaro.jpg​

First of all, in order to make the savanna look more realistic, all traces of the Wild Africa Trek and all currently-visible man-made fencing is eliminated/disguised/hidden (e.g. Okapi paddock, Hyena paddock, Cheetah paddock, etc.). In addition, the ride's more "dramatic" storyline, involving poachers trying to make off with a mother elephant and her baby, will be re-instated. Nearly every Disney attraction is based on the premise of having a strong story and now I believe that Kilimanjaro Safaris is lacking this. Therefore, I would restore Warden Wilson and the Big Red/Little Red storyline along with an abbreviated poacher scene at the end, complete with the rough and speedy portion. This just helps to give the attraction a more cohesive and feel with a beginning, middle, and end. And don't worry: both mother and child turn out safe in the end!

All in all, this ride should make us feel like we're really traveling through the African savanna, with an impact similar to the IMAX film The Serengeti.

As such, I'd add in two special areas. First of all, at the northern part of the attraction, the flood control canal is re-shaped into a naturalistic "Masai River". And beyond that, in the distance, are seen larger herds of elephants, buffalo, giraffe or other ungulates in what is currently the acclimatization paddock. Having large numbers of animals in the fore-, middle- and distant- ground makes for an awe-inspiring visual experience, that one typically would only see in the real savanna.

Big%2BHerds.png

And when the vehicles turn southward after this view of herds on the far riverbank, an even greater visual appears, a giant, snow-capped volcano--Mt. Kilimanjaro itself--and forms the distant backdrop to the Rhino paddock and Lion Kopjes.

Mt%2BKilimanjaro.png

Moving on, the Wildlife Express attraction becomes story-based and "on-stage". It no longer violates the land's theme by showing the backstage areas. The Harambe Station and train itself are already well-themed. In this idea, the ride includes numerous sights worth seeing. It takes passengers on a journey across the plains of India (where such trains were common), into caves where mysterious creatures dwell, a look past the great North American forests, the Amazon Rainforest, the Australian Outback, and past a wild African setting (via an SFX diorama).

Nearby the station is a dense jungle forest, filled with bamboo thickets and dangling vines. Cascading waterfalls flow into pools of water nearby. The trail then empties out into an area themed around one of Disney's most underrated classics: Tarzan. Long-time visitors may remember that Tarzan used to be found at the Tarzan Rocks! stage show, which ran from 1999 to 2006 at the Theater in the Wild in Dinoland. But now, Tarzan will be receiving his own area of the park. Entering the area, the first thing guests see is a re-creation of Jane and Professor Porter's camp. The camp settlement is the one seen from the film and more-so, inspired by the "Trashin' the Camp" scene, as the entire campground is filled with tons of interactive elements, instrumental clotheslines, spouting teapots, spinning globes, books, pots and pans, old record players, maps, projection slides and the like. Right nearby is Tarzan's Treehouse, a replica of the treehouse Tarzan was found in as a baby. Here kids would be able to climb, explore, and swing from vines in the tree. The area also serves as a meet & greet location for Tarzan, with Jane and Terk also making appearances.

hkdl2-1.jpg

Suchomimus

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Africa

~~~~~~

Kilimanjaro Safaris Refurbishment & Other Minor Stuff
3432645-Animal-Kingdom--Entry-to-Africa-0.jpg

The biggest problem with writing for Disney's Animal Kingdom is that so many of its lands are so well-themed and immersive; so you're pretty much left with minor refurbishments and new additions. Such is the case with Africa. Africa is impeccably themed and two of the park's most famous attractions--Kilimanjaro Safaris and Festival of the Lion King--can be found here.

As such, the few changes I'd make involve minor additions and one massive refurbishment. I'd add a few new ideas to "plus" Kilimanjaro Safaris.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kilimanjaro.jpg​

First of all, in order to make the savanna look more realistic, all traces of the Wild Africa Trek and all currently-visible man-made fencing is eliminated/disguised/hidden (e.g. Okapi paddock, Hyena paddock, Cheetah paddock, etc.). In addition, the ride's more "dramatic" storyline, involving poachers trying to make off with a mother elephant and her baby, will be re-instated. Nearly every Disney attraction is based on the premise of having a strong story and now I believe that Kilimanjaro Safaris is lacking this. Therefore, I would restore Warden Wilson and the Big Red/Little Red storyline along with an abbreviated poacher scene at the end, complete with the rough and speedy portion. This just helps to give the attraction a more cohesive and feel with a beginning, middle, and end. And don't worry: both mother and child turn out safe in the end!

All in all, this ride should make us feel like we're really traveling through the African savanna, with an impact similar to the IMAX film The Serengeti.

As such, I'd add in two special areas. First of all, at the northern part of the attraction, the flood control canal is re-shaped into a naturalistic "Masai River". And beyond that, in the distance, are seen larger herds of elephants, buffalo, giraffe or other ungulates in what is currently the acclimatization paddock. Having large numbers of animals in the fore-, middle- and distant- ground makes for an awe-inspiring visual experience, that one typically would only see in the real savanna.

Big%2BHerds.png

And when the vehicles turn southward after this view of herds on the far riverbank, an even greater visual appears, a giant, snow-capped volcano--Mt. Kilimanjaro itself--and forms the distant backdrop to the Rhino paddock and Lion Kopjes.

Mt%2BKilimanjaro.png

Moving on, the Wildlife Express attraction becomes story-based and "on-stage". It no longer violates the land's theme by showing the backstage areas. The Harambe Station and train itself are already well-themed. In this idea, the ride includes numerous sights worth seeing. It takes passengers on a journey across the plains of India (where such trains were common), into caves where mysterious creatures dwell, a look past the great North American forests, the Amazon Rainforest, the Australian Outback, and past a wild African setting (via an SFX diorama).

You’re a bigger fan S.W.W’s Ideal Buildout than I imagined. Did you know he has an account here under @RandySavage ?

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Asia
~~~~~~
Journey into the Jungle Book

October+1998+DAK+19.jpg

The Theater of the Wild, in my opinion, has always seemed to be a bit out of place within the context of "Dinoland". As such, I am officially annexing it from Dinoland, and adding to Asia's roster of attractions. Asia is another solidly-themed land, with its unique animals on the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and the extreme thrills that issue from Kali River Rapids and Expedition Everest (BTW, side note: in these ideas, I would take the opportunity to fix the dang Yeti). But, I'd take the opportunity of making the Theater of the Wild part of Asia by adding in a new show...or should I say, have a show make its triumphant return.

Journey into the Jungle Book was an opening day attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom, which ran solely for the first year of the park's existence, being replaced with Tarzan Rocks! a year later. In essence, this is a show that re-told the story of Disney's 19th animated feature film, using unique sets and costumes, innovative puppetry, and of course, the classic characters and songs from the movie. Making its triumphant return to the Theater of the Wild, this show would be an excellent addition to the park, because The Jungle Book is one of these films that would perfectly fit into the theme park, alongside with The Lion King and Tarzan, and after the renovation, it would be the only one of these films to not have its own attraction included in the park. But of course, with this show's return, there would be some changes.

First of all, the Theater in the Wild would not be known as such anymore. This is because the theater would be re-modeled to look like a crumbling stone temple, like the temple of King Louie.

jungle-book-disneyscreencaps.com-3571.jpg

The queue path takes us over the stream and into a cave to the left of the temple. In this cave, you'll find out that the queue actually doubles as an animal exhibit! Among the ruins that are being reclaimed by the jungle, I would put in exhibits for smaller, but no less important, critters of the Asian rain forest. As the ruins are being overgrown, little things like lizards, snakes and spiders would be moving in. Some examples would include the green snake and the red tailed rat snake. Both of these reptiles are fairly commonly found in zoos and make great exhibits. A good creepy animal would be a huntsman’s spider. Many kinds of these spiders live in Asia. They are huge and hairy and looking at them makes your skin crawl. Perhaps there could be a submerged section of the ruins that is now home to the unusual snake-necked turtle. And I wouldn’t leave mammals out, either. Prevost squirrels do well in captivity, are fun to watch and, with their bizarre color pattern (mahogany fur on the belly and black and white up top), they make fun zoo animals. We exit back out into the jungle, now inside the show building.

The show building looks like the interior of the temple, with a large "hole" in it, leading out to the jungle (i;e the stage). Even the temple itself looks like the jungle has reclaimed some of it. There are vines and ivy going across the stone, and mysterious tracks running along the aisles. The wooden benches have turned into stone; and the runway has been removed.

The show itself would play out the same as beforehand, but with one scene re-instated. If promo footage is to be any indication, originally, there was going to be a sequence where Mowgli is hypnotized by a gigantic puppet version of Kaa...

kaa.png

And for further proof, this video contains audio of what the scene would've sounded like. Although the scene takes place before Mowgli runs away, I would place this scene right before the Dawn Patrol sequence, and add in some more dialogue to bridge the gap between the two scenes.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Adventurers' Outpost
explorers-club-restaurant-hong-kong-disneyland-night-M.jpg

Adventurers' Outpost is a mini-land devoted to one of Disney's most ingenious forms of continuity: S.E.A., otherwise known as the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. With a park representing the dangerous jungles of the world, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see the group's members out and about exploring. Guests enter the Adventurers' Outpost from a tunnel in-between Africa and Asia. If you're eagle-eyed, you may spot the Wildlife Express pass atop the rocky formation. Once through, you'll find yourself at the African base camp of S.E.A.

SEALogo.png

S.E.A. has come to the African jungles to investigate the mysterious Rio Místico, a large, foreboding mountain. The mountain was discovered by Guilerme Santos, a Brazilian member of the group. It's reported that Santos was quite taken with his findings there, and he just had to send his fellow members to Africa to explore it for themselves. But what is so extraordinary about this mountain, anyway? Well, some say that the animals that inhabit the surrounding jungles of the mountain are quite, shall we say...out there. Very strange. If we dare, we can explore this treacherous mountain ourselves. But, we'll get there in due course. First, let me show you around the base.

There are quite a few makeshift shops located on base. Bamboo Alley provides a selection of goods and services from the Far East: China, Japan, Thailand and the Philippines. Ornaments of jade, oriental carvings, rugs and other fine products grace the lavishly-appointed shelves and displays. The sweet aroma of pineapple drifts from Trader Sam’s Outpost, a one-of-a-kind smoothie bar in the midst of tacky decor reminiscent of American Tiki Culture. Though out on business in the jungle, Trader Sam runs his juice bar with utmost pride, his proud collection of shrunken heads and skulls hanging from his favorite chandelier. Say, did you notice that old beat-up jeep at the entrance to the S.E.A. base camp? That would be Crazy Eddie’s Safari Supplies, the real “last outpost of civilization.” Good ol’ Eddie has been thru heck and back to park his old caravan in these parts - if the flattened tires and poison darts mean anything - and boy, oh boy is he happy to sell his wares: sunblock, sunglasses, pith helmets, fedoras, canteens, and sun hats. Eddie’s still-functioning phonograph starts a consistent musical theme with the rest of the base camp.

2PJPWnpMqS7ydqbztE26rXIIFZ1skmi4kFT4Zq1TgTrSG9BtrulfHDwHQCnSW0TCAaY0y8ZwRLaw4aVXY6ECCo5GrIVxwogra1-Qo46ImLDkdr9TWR2KZJ6mVbNI01v4M7pxmT85

Of course, the real pride and joy of the S.E.A. base camp is the Adventurers' Club. Yes, you heard me correctly: the Adventurers' Club.

adventure_club.png

This iconic hotspot from the glory days of Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney (now The Landing at Disney Springs) has made its triumphant "world re-premiere" here. In this kooky, topsy-turvy mish-mash of a theater, restaurant, pub and museum, we find the decorative likes of old photographs, trophy heads, tiki totems, acquired artifacts, lavish portraits, awards and trophies, tribal masks, ancient sarcophagi, bizarre fossils, accursed idols, and received - stolen or otherwise - “gifts” from countless adventures across the globe.

Here, various members of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers--led by club president Pamelia Perkins and good ol' Colonel Critchlow Sunchbench--invite new inductees and old friends to join them in their wacky club events. The club itself serves as a bit of refuge for intrepid adventurers, archaeologists and tourists alike, all in need of a little rest and recreation amid their travels thru the dark jungles. During the day, the place serves as a family-friendly restaurant, but at night (yes, this club will retain its nighttime operating hours from its days on Pleasure Island)--the place comes alive with the fun and jubilance it did when it was at Disney Springs. Not a thing about it has changed in the slightest. The only thing that's changed about the Adventurers' Club is its new location and some slight exterior re-working to have it blend in more with the African jungle theming. With the Adventurers' Club open again, it will be the perfect place for guests to "come in a stranger and leave a little stranger". Kungaloosh!

And now that I've shown you around the base, I think it's time that we take a look at Rio Místico and discover its secrets. This mountain leads the way for one of Disney's Animal Kingdom's newest, and strangest, attractions: Mystic River Mountain.

18e3677d784b619dc1a8c91e66589859.jpg

Heading towards the mountain, tall trees and plants surround the area, truly immersing the guests in a jungle environment. Old, discarded exploration gear is scattered throughout here; the leavings of previous explorations. At the top of the mountain, you can make out what appears to be some sort of temple, sheltered within the rocky texture of the mountain. On the side of the mountain that faces the guests, a large crater is formed, a curved waterfall cascading down, into the crater. The mountain is on an abandoned island, surrounded by water. You can make out carved African symbols on the rocky texture of the mountain. At the end of the large plateau, you can make out what appears to be some sort of docking building, made out of wood, which appears to be years old. You approach the building, getting a better look and seeing more of the surrounding details. The wooden lodge building appears to be splintered and worn. Several lanterns are suspended from the inside of the building. Above the entrance, a sign reads “Mystic River Mountain”.

Once you enter the building, you’ll immediately enter the queue. The queue is outdoors, but is completely covered by the roof of the building. Tall wooden supports hold the roof up, each adorned with a lantern and various equipment. As you make your way through the queue, you’ll notice several crates and pieces of equipment which bear the S.E.A. insignia; some remnants from Santos' first exploration, some from the more recent explorations. From what you can make out of the surrounding area, it appears that a new group of S.E.A. adventurers have just settled in the surrounding area and are operating an excursion along the river, and they are allowing us to join the excursion abroad the river and have our own adventure!

After making your way through the queue, the guests board large, dark brown cruise boats, suspended under a wooden awning. The boats feature eight rows, capable of containing six people in each row. A Cast Member at the end of the queue assigns you to the row you’ll be sitting in. Ahead of each seat is a pouch, where you can store any loose items. Above each pouch is a horizontal hand bar, something you can hold on to, just in case the waters get a little rough. When the guests are ready to go, the boat travels out of the docking station and proceeds across the water, towards the steep mountain.

While approaching the mountain, the boat enters into the rushing current of a river, which circles around the front side of the mountain. The segment lets guests have a batter view of the mountain. The rushing current of the river takes guests around a curve. Large boulders and rock work, covered in moss and plants surround the area, making the guests feel as though they were traveling down a narrow alleyway of a mountain. The sunlight stretches through the tall tree branches above. The sounds of animals off in the distant jungle could be heard. The boat continues down the river, following the trail of the water. Curving around the trail, the guests see a dark cavern, ahead. As the vehicles approach, they get a last glance at civilization; a small glance of the base camp. The guests enter into the dark cavern, into complete darkness. The sound of an approaching waterfall is heard. As some would expect, there is a sudden drop and the guests proceed down a waterfall.

The guests proceed through the dark cavern. Rays of sunlight peek through small cracks in the rocky walls. Moss covers the sides of the walls. The faint light offers a glimpse at the rock walls. Along the rocky texture, guests can make out Mayan symbols and lithographs, hand carved into the rocky wall. On both side of the rocky cavern, the symbols depict some sort of story. The first panel the guests come across is a panel of a shining sun, rising high above a mountain. The next picture shows the sun, as several wandering animals encircle the circular orb. The third lithograph shows the sun descending behind the mountain. The final inscribed picture shows the moon hovering over the mountain, as several unbelievable, unforeseen, yet familiar creatures encircle the moon.

The guests make their way out of the cavern and into the lush surrounding of a tropical jungle. A low mist settles across the floor, as the boat travels down the narrow rivers of the mountain. Tall, rocky walls stretch around the area, as trees and plants block the vehicle from sight. To your right, a large elephant is seen, raising his trunk, as if he was going to spray you. The boat continues down the river, letting the current lead the way. The boat rounds a bend until it passes a grassland, where zebras and giraffes are grazing. There is a single lion figure atop a rocky cliff.

The boat continues around a bend. A section of the river separates and travels into a large watering hole. Surrounding the watering hole are gazelles, warthogs, several different types of birds, rhinoceroses and hippos, living out the usual schedules of their lives. The boat continues down the current of the river. The guests can make out another cavern in the distance, surrounded by dangling moss and plants. The vehicle enters the dark cavern, before proceeding up a lift hill.

I know it seems pretty out of sorts to have a lift hill in the middle of a mountain, especially for a boat ride and it doesn’t really make much sense. However, Disney’s done wit with Splash Mountain and Pirates, even when it environmentally doesn’t make sense. However, if we really think that far into it, a lot of what Disney does with their attractions doesn’t “environmentally make sense”. The boats proceed up a lift hill, in complete darkness. Above, a large breach in the mountain roof shows the sun descending, as the sky fades to nighttime. The effect is a simple projection along the surface. The effects lets guests know that the sun has set and they are now traveling along the rocky perimeter of the mountain at night. It’s also meant to prove as a distraction for when the guests make the ascent up the lift hill.

The boat proceeds at the top of the lift hill and enters into one of the show buildings, hidden inside the mountain. The boat enters a tropical forest, at nighttime. Above, a bright moon lies, illuminated in the sky. Across the ceiling are several fiber optic stars, which twinkle, brightly. Surrounding the river passage are all sorts of exotic plants and trees. Vines and vegetation seem to surround the area, making the entire room seem much larger than it actually is. Ahead, you can hear some movement through the jungle. The boat proceeds down the river, approaching the location of the sound.

The boat curves with the river and the guests see gazelle grazing behind a set of bushes. The gazelle see the boat approaching and began to leap off. As they begin to leap, the guests see that the gazelles have bird-like wings and in mid-leap, begin to fly off into the jungle, out of sight. What strange creatures these are! The boat proceeds down the river. Suddenly, a massive jolt comes from the jungle. Tree branches snap and bend, as an elephant makes its way through. The elephant features a large rhinoceros horn and the body of a hippopotamus. The elephant-rhinoceros-hippo-like being raises his trunk and a jet of water proceeds outwards. The jet of water shoots over the boat, just missing the guests. The roof of the boat may get a little damp, but no need to worry; you’ll come out just fine.

The boat proceeds around the river and past a rocky ledge. At the top of the rocky ledge, large monkey creatures, with large giraffe necks jump up and down, unhappy about the approaching guests in their territory. In the monkeys’ hands are rocks of various sizes. As the boat passes through, it appears as though the monkeys throw the rocks at the boat. Jets of water from within the river burst up, making it seem like the rocks are being thrown towards the boat. The boat makes its way through the dispute, before proceeding further down the river.

In a grassy area to your left, giraffes with black and white zebra stripes are seen grazing. Along with the giraffes are antelope with kangaroo-like bodies and an animal, which looks something like combing a bull and an ox together. The animals are peacefully grazing, not acknowledging the guests whom pass by. The boat rounds a curve and notices a stone arched Mayan temple ahead. The structure isn’t all that intricate; a series of pillars connecting to eachother. Across the stone pillars are several etched drawing and lithographs. The boat continues through the center of the structure, letting guests have a good look at the temple’s architecture. The boat makes their way, ahead they can see another cavern. The guests enter the dark cavern, surrounded by darkness. A moment later, the boat descends down a brief waterfall.

In the next segment of the ride, the boats travel down an area of swampy marshland in the mountain. Tall leaves and moss dangle from the ceiling, adding a swampy feel to the area. Large trees and plants surround the area. In the river, large lily-pads are seen, floating along the surface. On the top of some lily-pads, bright, colorful frogs are seen, with orange flamingo beaks. The frogs “ribbit” as you pass them. All throughout the river are colorful LED lights, which illuminate different colors. An array of blue fireflies sweeps throughout the area. Suspended high from a few of the trees are several parrots, parakeets, toucans and flamingos, all in a variety of unnatural, unheard of colors. In the far corner, a set of crocodiles, with a leopard pattern are seen. As you pass the creatures, they open their mouths and snap their jaws.

The boat leaves the area and enters into a cavern up ahead. The boat proceeds down a drop, which begins to curve, increasing the speed of the incline. As the boat descends, a roar is heard and the boat becomes surrounded in all sorts of blue, beautiful waterfalls. The waterfalls completely surround the boats, sometimes even splashing the roof. The formerly dark cavern is now light with blue and white colors. You feel the mist from the waterfall travel onto your skin. Could this be that huge waterfall crater that we saw on the outside of the mountain? The boat proceeds down the curved descent before it slows down and re-enters a show-building.

Ahead, the guests travel through a dark cavern. There is a rocky barrier to your left, in which the boat curves around. A loud roar is heard. From within the depths of the large river-turned-lagoon, a giant snake, with an iguana body emerges from within the lagoon on your right. The creature lets out a deep roar, before trying to snap at the guests. An orange steam emits from the creature’s mouth. After several close, but failed attempts, the creature proceeds to sink back under the sea. After a moment of silent movement, there is a sudden jolt on the bottom of the boat! The creature is right underneath the boat! A jet of water blasts, surrounding the boat in a plume of water. The guests may get a little wet here. The creature emerges on the left side of the boat. The creature still tries to snap, moving his head in close to the boat. The boat is out of reach however, and the creature proceeds back down into the watery depths of the lagoon.

The guests then proceed around the barrier, crossing into the next section of the cavern. Ahead, just off to your right, you can see the giant snake monster battle it out with a rather heroic lion, with angelic wings. The snake creature raises his head and tries to snap at the lion, but the monarchy of the jungle lets out a huge roar, which echoes throughout the cavern. The guests proceed past the two dueling monsters and enter into a small cavern, the sound of a distant waterfall approaching. The guests leave the two creatures behind, as the lion lets out another loud roar and screams are heard coming from the snake-like creature. As the guests enter the cavern, a shadow seems to fly over the boat.

Once the guests arrive inside the cavern, they see a large waterfall ahead. Above the waterfall, a ledge is located. The winged-lion creature stands before the group and bows to them. Above the lion is an opening, which shows the sun rising into the sky. As it does so, the lion’s wings, seem to sparkle and turn translucent, as if they were disappearing. The lion lets out a roar, as the boat descends down a forty five foot drop.

The boat lands in the waters surrounding the mountain with a huge splash. The boat proceeds back across the waters and into the loading dock, where the guests boarded their boats. The boat pulls into the unload dock, where the guests are released and exit the boats. The guests walk down the exit pathway, completely surrounded in tall trees and plants. The pathway opens up into a circle. In the center of the circle is a stone pillar with a lion atop it. On one side of the stone pillar, an inscription reads:

P U G H N S Z A K B E R F C T D I W Y J M O V L Q X
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

On the opposite side of the pillar, at the base, a meticulously carved inscription reads:

P RNYYTC KY GPYJ PRTCZ JAN ATWKXTC. JAN VPQ VN DNWGNKON TMW RKONY PWN PY HKSSNWNCJ PY CKZAJ PCH HPQ, QNJ PWN TCN.

This attraction is going to be another one of Disney's Animal Kingdom's heavy hitting attractions, from both its breathtaking and unusual qualities. It is much like Journey to the Center of the Earth in some ways, but entirely different. This attraction also introduces a new boat ride attraction into Disney's Animal Kingdom. Consider this a distaff counterpart to Expedition Everest. While both of these mountains are visually striking, they are also visually vastly different from each other, which is why some space between them is actually a blessing.

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Disney's Animal Kingdom
South America
~~~~~~~
S.E.A. Base Camp

explorers-club-restaurant-hong-kong-disneyland-night-M.jpg

Currently, Disney’s Animal Kingdom only takes us to two continents. But there are so many other continents with their own diverse animals (except for Europe; to my knowledge, Europe doesn't have many unique animals). So, with this refurbishment, I plan to represent all the continents. First stop: South America!

Guests enter South America from a tunnel in-between Africa and Asia. If you're eagle-eyed, you may spot the Wildlife Express pass atop the rocky formation. However, your first stop won't exactly be the mystic rainforests you may expect to find here. Instead, you'll find yourself at the South American base camp of S.E.A., otherwise known as the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

SEALogo.png

S.E.A. has come to the South American rainforests to investigate the mysterious Rio Místico, a large, foreboding mountain. Some say that the animals that inhabit the surrounding jungles of the mountain are quite, shall we say...out there. Very strange. If we dare, we can explore this treacherous mountain ourselves. But, we'll get there in due course. First, let me show you around the base.

There are quite a few makeshift shops located on base. Bamboo Alley provides a selection of goods and services from the Far East: China, Japan, Thailand and the Philippines. Ornaments of jade, oriental carvings, rugs and other fine products grace the lavishly-appointed shelves and displays. The sweet aroma of pineapple drifts from Trader Sam’s Outpost, a one-of-a-kind smoothie bar in the midst of tacky decor reminiscent of American Tiki Culture. Though out on business in the jungle, Trader Sam runs his juice bar with utmost pride, his proud collection of shrunken heads and skulls hanging from his favorite chandelier. Say, did you notice that old beat-up jeep at the entrance to the S.E.A. base camp? That would be Crazy Eddie’s Safari Supplies, the real “last outpost of civilization.” Good ol’ Eddie has been thru heck and back to park his old caravan in these parts - if the flattened tires and poison darts mean anything - and boy, oh boy is he happy to sell his wares: sunblock, sunglasses, pith helmets, fedoras, canteens, and sun hats. Eddie’s still-functioning phonograph starts a consistent musical theme with the rest of the base camp.

2PJPWnpMqS7ydqbztE26rXIIFZ1skmi4kFT4Zq1TgTrSG9BtrulfHDwHQCnSW0TCAaY0y8ZwRLaw4aVXY6ECCo5GrIVxwogra1-Qo46ImLDkdr9TWR2KZJ6mVbNI01v4M7pxmT85

Of course, the real pride and joy of the S.E.A. base camp is the Adventurers' Club. Yes, you heard me correctly: the Adventurers' Club.

adventure_club.png

This iconic hotspot from the glory days of Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney (now The Landing at Disney Springs) has made its triumphant "world re-premiere" here. In this kooky, topsy-turvy mish-mash of a theater, restaurant, pub and museum, we find the decorative likes of old photographs, trophy heads, tiki totems, acquired artifacts, lavish portraits, awards and trophies, tribal masks, ancient sarcophagi, bizarre fossils, accursed idols, and received - stolen or otherwise - “gifts” from countless adventures across the globe.

Here, various members of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers--led by club president Pamelia Perkins and good ol' Colonel Critchlow Sunchbench--invite new inductees and old friends to join them in their wacky club events. The club itself serves as a bit of refuge for intrepid adventurers, archaeologists and tourists alike, all in need of a little rest and recreation amid their travels thru the dark jungles of South America. During the day, the place serves as a family-friendly restaurant, but at night (yes, this club will retain its nighttime operating hours from its days on Pleasure Island)--the place comes alive with the fun and jubilance it did when it was at Disney Springs. Not a thing about it has changed in the slightest. The only thing that's changed about the Adventurers' Club is its new location and some slight exterior re-working to have it blend in more with the South American theming. With the Adventurers' Club open again, it will be the perfect place for guests to "come in a stranger and leave a little stranger". Kungaloosh!

And now that I've shown you around the base, I think it's time that we take a look at Rio Místico and discover its secrets. This mountain leads the way for one of Disney's Animal Kingdom's newest, and strangest, attractions: Mystic River Mountain.

18e3677d784b619dc1a8c91e66589859.jpg

Heading towards the mountain, tall trees and plants surround the area, truly immersing the guests in a jungle environment. Old, discarded exploration gear is scattered throughout here; the leavings of previous explorations. At the top of the mountain, you can make out what appears to be some sort of temple, sheltered within the rocky texture of the mountain. On the side of the mountain that faces the guests, a large crater is formed, a curved waterfall cascading down, into the crater. The mountain is on an abandoned island, surrounded by water. You can make out carved Mayan symbols on the rocky texture of the mountain. At the end of the large plateau, you can make out what appears to be some sort of docking building, made out of wood, which appears to be years old. You approach the building, getting a better look and seeing more of the surrounding details. The wooden lodge building appears to be splintered and worn. Several lanterns are suspended from the inside of the building. Above the entrance, a sign reads “Mystic River Mountain”.

Once you enter the building, you’ll immediately enter the queue. The queue is outdoors, but is completely covered by the roof of the building. Tall wooden supports hold the roof up, each adorned with a lantern and various equipment. As you make your way through the queue, you’ll notice several crates and pieces of equipment which bear the S.E.A. insignia. From what you can make out of the surrounding area, it appears that a group of S.E.A. adventurers have just settled in the surrounding area and are operating an excursion along the river, and they are allowing us to join the excursion abroad the river and have our own adventure!

After making your way through the queue, the guests board large, dark brown cruise boats, suspended under a wooden awning. The boats feature eight rows, capable of containing six people in each row. A Cast Member at the end of the queue assigns you to the row you’ll be sitting in. Ahead of each seat is a pouch, where you can store any loose items. Above each pouch is a horizontal hand bar, something you can hold on to, just in case the waters get a little rough. When the guests are ready to go, the boat travels out of the docking station and proceeds across the water, towards the steep mountain.

While approaching the mountain, the boat enters into the rushing current of a river, which circles around the front side of the mountain. The segment lets guests have a batter view of the mountain. The rushing current of the river takes guests around a curve. Large boulders and rock work, covered in moss and plants surround the area, making the guests feel as though they were traveling down a narrow alleyway of a mountain. The sunlight stretches through the tall tree branches above. The sounds of animals off in the distant jungle could be heard. The boat continues down the river, following the trail of the water. Curving around the trail, the guests see a dark cavern, ahead. As the vehicles approach, they get a last glance at civilization; a small glance of the base camp. The guests enter into the dark cavern, into complete darkness. The sound of an approaching waterfall is heard. As some would expect, there is a sudden drop and the guests proceed down a waterfall.

The guests proceed through the dark cavern. Rays of sunlight peek through small cracks in the rocky walls. Moss covers the sides of the walls. The faint light offers a glimpse at the rock walls. Along the rocky texture, guests can make out Mayan symbols and lithographs, hand carved into the rocky wall. On both side of the rocky cavern, the symbols depict some sort of story. The first panel the guests come across is a panel of a shining sun, rising high above a mountain. The next picture shows the sun, as several wandering animals encircle the circular orb. The third lithograph shows the sun descending behind the mountain. The final inscribed picture shows the moon hovering over the mountain, as several unbelievable, unforeseen, yet familiar creatures encircle the moon.

The guests make their way out of the cavern and into the lush surrounding of a tropical jungle. A low mist settles across the floor, as the boat travels down the narrow rivers of the mountain. Tall, rocky walls stretch around the area, as trees and plants block the vehicle from sight. To your right, a large elephant is seen, raising his trunk, as if he was going to spray you. The boat continues down the river, letting the current lead the way. The boat rounds a bend until it passes a grassland, where zebras and giraffes are grazing. There is a single lion figure atop a rocky cliff.

The boat continues around a bend. A section of the river separates and travels into a large watering hole. Surrounding the watering hole are gazelles, warthogs, several different types of birds, rhinoceroses and hippos, living out the usual schedules of their lives. The boat continues down the current of the river. The guests can make out another cavern in the distance, surrounded by dangling moss and plants. The vehicle enters the dark cavern, before proceeding up a lift hill.

I know it seems pretty out of sorts to have a lift hill in the middle of a mountain, especially for a boat ride and it doesn’t really make much sense. However, Disney’s done wit with Splash Mountain and Pirates, even when it environmentally doesn’t make sense. However, if we really think that far into it, a lot of what Disney does with their attractions doesn’t “environmentally make sense”. The boats proceed up a lift hill, in complete darkness. Above, a large breach in the mountain roof shows the sun descending, as the sky fades to nighttime. The effect is a simple projection along the surface. The effects lets guests know that the sun has set and they are now traveling along the rocky perimeter of the mountain at night. It’s also meant to prove as a distraction for when the guests make the ascent up the lift hill.

The boat proceeds at the top of the lift hill and enters into one of the show buildings, hidden inside the mountain. The boat enters a tropical forest, at nighttime. Above, a bright moon lies, illuminated in the sky. Across the ceiling are several fiber optic stars, which twinkle, brightly. Surrounding the river passage are all sorts of exotic plants and trees. Vines and vegetation seem to surround the area, making the entire room seem much larger than it actually is. Ahead, you can hear some movement through the jungle. The boat proceeds down the river, approaching the location of the sound.

The boat curves with the river and the guests see gazelle grazing behind a set of bushes. The gazelle see the boat approaching and began to leap off. As they begin to leap, the guests see that the gazelles have bird-like wings and in mid-leap, begin to fly off into the jungle, out of sight. What strange creatures these are! The boat proceeds down the river. Suddenly, a massive jolt comes from the jungle. Tree branches snap and bend, as an elephant makes its way through. The elephant features a large rhinoceros horn and the body of a hippopotamus. The elephant-rhinoceros-hippo-like being raises his trunk and a jet of water proceeds outwards. The jet of water shoots over the boat, just missing the guests. The roof of the boat may get a little damp, but no need to worry; you’ll come out just fine.

The boat proceeds around the river and past a rocky ledge. At the top of the rocky ledge, large monkey creatures, with large giraffe necks jump up and down, unhappy about the approaching guests in their territory. In the monkeys’ hands are rocks of various sizes. As the boat passes through, it appears as though the monkeys throw the rocks at the boat. Jets of water from within the river burst up, making it seem like the rocks are being thrown towards the boat. The boat makes its way through the dispute, before proceeding further down the river.

In a grassy area to your left, giraffes with black and white zebra stripes are seen grazing. Along with the giraffes are antelope with kangaroo-like bodies and an animal, which looks something like combing a bull and an ox together. The animals are peacefully grazing, not acknowledging the guests whom pass by. The boat rounds a curve and notices a stone arched Mayan temple ahead. The structure isn’t all that intricate; a series of pillars connecting to eachother. Across the stone pillars are several etched drawing and lithographs. The boat continues through the center of the structure, letting guests have a good look at the temple’s architecture. The boat makes their way, ahead they can see another cavern. The guests enter the dark cavern, surrounded by darkness. A moment later, the boat descends down a brief waterfall.

In the next segment of the ride, the boats travel down an area of swampy marshland in the mountain. Tall leaves and moss dangle from the ceiling, adding a swampy feel to the area. Large trees and plants surround the area. In the river, large lily-pads are seen, floating along the surface. On the top of some lily-pads, bright, colorful frogs are seen, with orange flamingo beaks. The frogs “ribbit” as you pass them. All throughout the river are colorful LED lights, which illuminate different colors. An array of blue fireflies sweeps throughout the area. Suspended high from a few of the trees are several parrots, parakeets, toucans and flamingos, all in a variety of unnatural, unheard of colors. In the far corner, a set of crocodiles, with a leopard pattern are seen. As you pass the creatures, they open their mouths and snap their jaws.

The boat leaves the area and enters into a cavern up ahead. The boat proceeds down a drop, which begins to curve, increasing the speed of the incline. As the boat descends, a roar is heard and the boat becomes surrounded in all sorts of blue, beautiful waterfalls. The waterfalls completely surround the boats, sometimes even splashing the roof. The formerly dark cavern is now light with blue and white colors. You feel the mist from the waterfall travel onto your skin. Could this be that huge waterfall crater that we saw on the outside of the mountain? The boat proceeds down the curved descent before it slows down and re-enters a show-building.

Ahead, the guests travel through a dark cavern. There is a rocky barrier to your left, in which the boat curves around. A loud roar is heard. From within the depths of the large river-turned-lagoon, a giant snake, with an iguana body emerges from within the lagoon on your right. The creature lets out a deep roar, before trying to snap at the guests. An orange steam emits from the creature’s mouth. After several close, but failed attempts, the creature proceeds to sink back under the sea. After a moment of silent movement, there is a sudden jolt on the bottom of the boat! The creature is right underneath the boat! A jet of water blasts, surrounding the boat in a plume of water. The guests may get a little wet here. The creature emerges on the left side of the boat. The creature still tries to snap, moving his head in close to the boat. The boat is out of reach however, and the creature proceeds back down into the watery depths of the lagoon.

The guests then proceed around the barrier, crossing into the next section of the cavern. Ahead, just off to your right, you can see the giant snake monster battle it out with a rather heroic lion, with angelic wings. The snake creature raises his head and tries to snap at the lion, but the monarchy of the jungle lets out a huge roar, which echoes throughout the cavern. The guests proceed past the two dueling monsters and enter into a small cavern, the sound of a distant waterfall approaching. The guests leave the two creatures behind, as the lion lets out another loud roar and screams are heard coming from the snake-like creature. As the guests enter the cavern, a shadow seems to fly over the boat.

Once the guests arrive inside the cavern, they see a large waterfall ahead. Above the waterfall, a ledge is located. The winged-lion creature stands before the group and bows to them. Above the lion is an opening, which shows the sun rising into the sky. As it does so, the lion’s wings, seem to sparkle and turn translucent, as if they were disappearing. The lion lets out a roar, as the boat descends down a forty five foot drop.

The boat lands in the waters surrounding the mountain with a huge splash. The boat proceeds back across the waters and into the loading dock, where the guests boarded their boats. The boat pulls into the unload dock, where the guests are released and exit the boats. The guests walk down the exit pathway, completely surrounded in tall trees and plants. The pathway opens up into a circle. In the center of the circle is a stone pillar with a lion atop it. On one side of the stone pillar, an inscription reads:

P U G H N S Z A K B E R F C T D I W Y J M O V L Q X
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

On the opposite side of the pillar, at the base, a meticulously carved inscription reads:

P RNYYTC KY GPYJ PRTCZ JAN ATWKXTC. JAN VPQ VN DNWGNKON TMW RKONY PWN PY HKSSNWNCJ PY CKZAJ PCH HPQ, QNJ PWN TCN.

This attraction is going to be another one of Disney's Animal Kingdom's heavy hitting attractions, from both its breathtaking and unusual qualities. It is much like Journey to the Center of the Earth in some ways, but entirely different. This attraction also introduces a new boat ride attraction into Disney's Animal Kingdom. Consider this a distaff counterpart to Expedition Everest. While both of these mountains are visually striking, they are also visually vastly different from each other, which is why some space between them is actually a blessing.

I think you should have renamed MRM Mystic Mountain River or Mystic Mountain Expedition; the name itself just doesn’t work as well as Splash Mountain. Also, you should’ve either placed the attraction in Africa or replaced most of the creatures with animals and chimerical versions of animals that actually exists; or existed; S.A., because what you did was just lazy (if you’re going to change the location and architecture, why not the beasts?).

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I think you should have renamed MRM Mystic Mountain River or Mystic Mountain Expedition; the name itself just doesn’t work as well as Splash Mountain. Also, you should’ve either placed the attraction in Africa or replaced most of the creatures with animals and chimerical versions of animals that actually exists; or existed; S.A., because what you did was just lazy (if you’re going to change the location and architecture, why not the beasts?).

You got a point. If anything, I can re-write this and turn it into its own mini-land: Adventurers' Outpost, set deep in the remote jungles of Africa. From there, we go on to South America.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
And now, for realsies, here is...

Disney's Animal Kingdom
South America
shdr-att-camp-discovery-hero-new.jpg

Currently, Disney’s Animal Kingdom only takes us to two continents. But there are so many other continents with their own diverse animals. So, with this refurbishment, I plan to represent them. First stop: South America!

Entering South America from Adventurers' Outpost, we enter a riverside village made up of a series of thatch-roofed buildings. Here, students from a local university have set-up camp to study the creatures and plant life of the rainforest as well as the negative effects of the logging companies that have been chopping down trees at an alarming rate. Thus the message of conservation is very strongly tied with the attractions in this area. Much of the architecture of the village creates the feeling of being isolated in a rugged, remote outpost. The buildings look old and weathered.

Amazon%2BVillage.jpg

Among the village, we find quite a few shops and restaurants. The major shop here is Rainforest Outfitters. Here, you'll find everything from character merchandise to South American-themed items to leather goods. A cool shop with some neat items you probably won't find elsewhere. The major restaurant here is the Yucatan Grill, which serves up a variety of barbecue-style dishes. Plus, it's quite a good place to go if you want to enjoy some healthy food. There are also quite a few food trucks, decorated like they are set up by the university students in the village.

This village is the embarkation point for two attractions, both of which emphasize the natural beauty of the rainforest and the importance of protecting this environment. As you can tell by the image at the top of the page, the major headliner here is a full-blown replica of Shanghai Disneyland's Camp Discovery. At Camp Discovery, you can choose from a variety of expeditions to help unravel the island’s mysteries and uncover its wonders. You can climb on elevated rope courses to survey the stunning terrain of the rainforest's mountains, hike through the breathtaking scenery or work inside a dig zone to unearth ancient artifacts.

There are three unique elevated rope courses, known as the Challenge Trails that traverse the terrain—taking adventurers over river gorges, waterfalls and sheer cliffs, through stunning terrain and into spectacular caverns.

• Hidden Falls Chamber – Journey behind a waterfall and deep into the jungle to a mystical cavern, home to the glittering gem-encrusted Temple of the Milky Way.
  • Echo Cavern – Wind along a perilous river gorge, discover magnificent rock carvings and cave paintings, and hear for yourself how Echo Canyon got its name.
  • House of the Ancients – Trek to the site of an in-progress excavation, where the university archeologists are unearthing an ancient trading center.
If you don't want to climb the ropes, you can traverse the Vista Trail. Vista Trail is a beautifully landscaped walkway that provides all adventurers with the opportunity to explore the wonders of the ropes courses at ground level, where the ageless beauty of the Amazon Rainforest is revealed in photo opportunities around every bend—including a trio of large, hemispheric “humming stones,” also known as the “Mmm stones,” which emit a nearly inaudible hum heard only by the most nature-attuned individuals.

But for a more thrilling adventure through the Amazon jungles, then take the Amazon River Adventure. The backstory for the attraction is that students from the local university have prepared a river rafting expedition to study a few of the more remote parts of the rainforest and have invited you along. The first half of the ride is very calm. As the raft passes through the dense jungle, Guests encounter other small fishing villages and a wide variety of birds, monkeys, and other exotic animals. But then, things take a tumultuous turn as the raft picks up speed and guests encounter a series of violent rapids as they race past waterfalls, get spun around in whirlpools, and narrowly escape an attack by a school of piranhas before returning back to the village. This is essentially to this land what Roaring Rapids is to SDL's Adventure Isle; but more of a log flume ride than a rapid ride.

Nearby the settlement, you can explore the lush tropical rainforests of South America yourself, by way of the Amazon Rainforest Trail. Guests walk through a dense rainforest environment, filled with exotic flowers and plant life, past waterfalls and rivers. They also encounter a wide variety of animals, such as two-toed sloths, giant anteaters, spider monkeys, golden lion tamarins, toucans, macaws, jaguars, howler monkeys, capybaras, owls, llamas, sloths and tree frogs.

87796802.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Rainforest-Animals.jpg

img-rainforest-redeyedfrog_orig.jpg

figure-emperor-tamarin.jpg

Yes, the rainforest is home to a wide variety of animals. Most of its inhabitants are invertebrates, including insects, arachnids and worms. In fact, inside this rainforest, you'll find the entrance to a theater that was seemingly crafted underground. This theater serves as the new home of the 3D show It's Tough to Be a Bug!

its-tough-to-be-a-bug_primary4.jpg

In the show, Flik, the ant hero from A Bug's Life, welcomes the guests to a show starring the world's most abundant inhabitants: bugs. He introduces a revue of some of his bug friends, before enemy Hopper leaps onto the scene, unleashing a bit of chaos into the show, when he deems the humans as their enemies. The bugs come together quickly to put on a final performance and hopefully save the show! After the show, the theater exit leads to an area featuring exhibits where you can see all sorts of bugs: termites eating wood, ants digging, and spiders making webs.

The other major attraction here in South America is Rainforest Race, an honest-to-God zip-line experience through the canopy of the rainforest. Taking off from a ledge on the mountains, we glide over the rivers of Camp Discovery, and through the trees of the Rainforest Trail, thus giving the sense of zip-lining through the Amazon Rainforest.

This would give a whole new kind of experience not only to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, but to Walt Disney World in general. Believe it or not, a rollercoaster similar to this was actually planned for EPCOT Center at one point and would have been a part of a completely re-imagined Land pavilion. I think this new South America section of Animal Kingdom would be the perfect home for it.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Australia
1200px-Outback.JPG

Australia is quite possibly the home of some of the world's most unique animals, and they will be represented here at Disney's Animal Kingdom quite well. Heading to your right, from the point where Adventurers' Outpost meets South America, you'll find yourself in the glory of the "Land Down Under". Australia highlights some of the continent’s more unique animals as well as its Aboriginal culture and traditions. The land would be divided into two distinct areas.

Australian Outback

The Australian Outback is marked by verdant fields of grass and gum trees, dominated by a replica of Uluru, the mighty sandstone rock formation sacred to the Anagu, the Aboriginal people of the area. The Outback is the perfect setting for the Aussie Adventure Trails, where guests can encounter a variety of animals such as emus, platypus, galahs, kookaburras, dingoes, black-necked storks, kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, Tasmanian devils, and koalas.

shutterstock_541440976.jpg

Kangaroo.jpg

dingo.jpg

33C9A74D00000578-3571189-image-a-27_1462360771305.jpg

mihxfsmlb0wofdmm67ia.jpg

kookaburra_02.jpg

Beneath the scorching desert sun, we find ourselves peering into a remote mud hole, almost an oasis of sorts. However, this oasis is barred-off and ridden with caution signs as it plays home to of a family of actual saltwater crocodiles, or "salties" as the locals refer to them. This mini-zoo sits near the entrance to the Steve Irwin Conservation Centre. As a "satellite extension" of the Australia Zoo, the conservation center is dedicated to the late Steve Irwin, more famously known as the "Crocodile Hunter." In this well-sized building, we are invited to step inside and learn about Australia's vast collection of colorful wildlife, as well as other wildlife around the world, whether they're endangered or not. Here we learn of the Australia Zoo and Disney's Animal Kingdom and their efforts to conserve and protect the creatures of the planet as illustrated through demonstrations, videos, and exhibits, not to mention a moving tribute and memorial to the Crocodile Hunter himself. Several varieties of insects and reptiles are kept here in enclosures, allowing an up close and personal glimpse at potentially-deadly creatures. As mentioned before, the crocodiles in the "mud hole" outside are in fact living, breathing creatures. Zookeepers trained through the proper channels at the Australia Zoo are on duty at the Conservation Center, doubling as hosts at the center and as the keepers of the salties. These same keepers also perform daily demonstrations of crocodile safety and upkeep, as well as a showcase of several birds native to Australia, including the ever-famous kookaburras found on the Aussie Adventure Trails. This demonstration is appropriately called Australian Animals.

The other part of Australia would be more whimsical and appeal more toward families with younger children.

Great Barrier Reef

I have realized in my reimagining that Animal Kingdom is in need of more attractions that would appeal to a younger audience. Australia presents the perfect opportunity for this as it allows for the seamless integration of an immersive area based on the beloved Finding Nemo, which, of course, is set in Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Plus, this area will also serve well to introduce animals from the ocean into the park, as the current version of the park does not. This way, the park will fully feature animals from the ocean, sea and sky. I also don't want to introduce too much of the ocean into the park, as it would take a lot away from The Living Seas over at EPCOT Center, so I think just a small area would be nice. So, again, while the area might be small, it is still a needed area for the theme park. However, rather than being out in the open, this sub-land would take a page out of the book of Tokyo DisneySea. There, they have an area of the park known as Mermaid Lagoon, themed after The Little Mermaid, which is located entirely inside in order to give the illusion that you are under the sea. At Disney's Animal Kingdom, guests would be totally immersed in the beauty of the Great Barrier Reef as seen in the movie as they walk amongst larger-than-life coral.

Separating the Australian Outback from the Great Barrier Reef is a small reef area where waves crash against the sands. The Great Barrier Reef itself finds its home within the interior confines of a massive oceanic rock covered in kelp, seaweed, coral, and other aquatic matter. The salty waves of the tide crash up against the base of the massive rock. Before we enter through a cavernous hole crafted into the side of the rock, we hear the nearby cawing of some beady-eyed seagulls perched upon a smaller rock, famously shrieking "MINE! MINE! MINE!"

images

Entering the Great Barrier Reef is almost like entering an aquatic dreamworld of sorts...in a mere matter of seconds, the atmosphere around us has been transformed into a near-exact replica of one of Australia's many natural wonders...giant coral, oversized anemones, and the shimmering sunlight reflecting upon the visible oceanic surface above our heads, accomplished via clever lighting, projections, and a rather convincing scrim...luscious orchestrations taken straight from the films provide an ambient environment of realistic fantasy...the silhouettes of passing fish and other sea creatures are cast upon the rocks, hinting at an unseen community of wildlife beyond the limits of our own imaginations...every so often, a boat, otherwise referred to by younger fish as a "butt" can be seen treading water on the waves above, causing the aforementioned silhouettes to scatter and hide until the "butt" is well out of sight. Our adventure has begun.

original.jpg

Most the attractions here would be smaller and nothing really groundbreaking in terms of new technology, but they would be fun options for children. Taking inspiration from Tokyo DisneySea, this area would feature Jumping Jellyfish, a version of the classic parachute attraction. Boarding a large seashell (clutched by jellyfish tentacles), one of several oversized jellyfish pulls us up and down at varying speeds for a "jumpin'" good time, providing stunning views of the aquatic sub-area in the process, not to mention simulating one of the most memorable scenes from Finding Nemo. Another attraction is the Blowfish Balloon Race, a gondola-style spinner attraction. Hopping inside a hollowed-out seashell, an overhead blowfish grabs ahold of us via four strands of seaweed and takes us on an "airborne" spin through the "skies" of the colorful reef, a la Flik's Flyers in California. Finally, we have The Whirlpool, a variation on the teacups. While these attractions may not be anything special, it is the highly immersive theming and detail of the area that would really be the main draw. Nearby Blowfish Balloon Race, embedded into a large volcanic rock, is a screen that plays films about preserving Australia's Great Barrier Reef and all the oceanic wildlife that inhabit it, warning of the dangers of pollution and the motto of "all drains lead to the ocean." This little area is known as the Junior Explorer Academy, managed and operated by Mr. Ray. The Humpback Whale serves as the resident Finding Nemo superstore, strangely held inside the pink bowels of a humpback whale with its mouth agape. You can bet that all the cast members here say "thank you" in the exotic whale language, up until now thought to only be known to whales and Dory. Dory's Tidepool, found just a short distance away, is an indoor-water playground utilizing spitting fish, spinning seashells, and lots and lots of puddles...underwater...which is somewhat ironic I suppose.

A short walk from the edge of the reef (also known as the "Drop Off") brings us into an abandoned graveyard of fallen submarines and warships, the seemingly haunted abode of Bruce, Chum, and Anchor, a trio of sharks with a not-so-carnivorous appetite. Spiked-mines appear suspended in midair, almost like party balloons...but be careful, you wouldn't want one of these balloons to pop...Bruce's Steakhouse is the major point of interest in the area, held within the massive wreckage of an old war submarine. Underneath the proud slogan of "Fish Are Friends, Not Food," Bruce's Steakhouse is a fine-dining establishment composed of old machinery and abandoned weaponry of some forgotten naval battle, a bit of an oddity in a Disney park considering the rather grim subject of war. Despite the vegetarian diet of the sharks, all of the menu items almost all feature meat...although some dishes are in fact made with vegetarians specifically in mind, tofu fish being one of them...yuck. Inside the restaurant, a rather static Bruce figure allows diners to take a photo inside his wide-open jaws. Don't worry, he doesn't bite...I hope...

Back in the colorful hub of the reef, we find the Great Barrier Reef's two major E-ticket attractions. Much like how Tokyo's Mermaid Lagoon features a theater, so too will this area. And, of course, this theater will serve as the new home for Finding Nemo: The Musical, the beloved innovative production, filled with puppetry, aerialism and lighting effects. The show is lush with large sets and an entire ensemble of characters, utilizing puppetry to portray the memorable characters from the Pixar film.

312612da2b8ea50930d671f79cfcfe4c.jpg

If Bruce's area is located to one side of the reef, something should be on the other side, as well. This is where you'll find Crush’s Coaster. This attraction is one of the most popular at Walt Disney Studios Paris and provides some mild thrills along the lines of the current Primeval Whirl. Guests ride in a turtle shell through elaborate show scenes depicting different events from the movie before going on a high-speed spin through the EAC where the turtle shell itself starts to spin as it moves along the track. The attraction is very much like a more thrilling and more highly detailed version of the Seas with Nemo and Friends attraction currently at Epcot. Of course, the whole "studio" aspect Paris has will be scrapped, so the queue and exterior will be themed around meandering catacombs located deep beneath the ocean's floor.

1185314408_740215_0000000000_noticia_normal.jpg

Off to the side of this indoor cove, guests will find another area. The area is a circular cove, surrounded by think rocky moss formations and coral. The entire area seems like an aquatic grove with a rocky sand sketched floor bottom. Upon entering the great mossy rock, guests will enter into the Undersea Life Exhibits, a great aquarium featuring numerous aquatic animals; schools of numerous different types of fish, sharks and stingrays, mainly the breeds and types represented in Finding Nemo, all of them finding a home here. Cast Members located throughout the great exhibit grounds offer more information on the animals found within.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom