To Infinity and Beyond: The Future of Walt Disney World

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Hey, guys! It's me again. As we all know, at the start of the month, @spacemt354 and @MonorailRed began a very interesting project: 50 for the 50th, a hypothetical thread showcasing what they'd like to see happen at WDW around the time of the resort's 50th anniversary in 2021. Needless to say, I absolutely adore this concept and it inspired me to go back to my own personal ideas for WDW.

Yep, it's once again time for me to disclose what I would do to improve the Vacation Kingdom. I haven't really done this since I started using Google Docs to store all my ideas, and I've gotten tired of the same formula I've been doing ever since I started sharing these particular ideas ever since I got on the forum. As such, I will try to do this new round of ideas in a form similar to how 50 for the 50th is done: Each post I do will focus on a new idea. I won't do this by year, exactly. Instead, I'll sort each post like I've always done: by park in order of chronological opening date.

So, I hope you're all ready, because we are about to explore a hypothetical future for Walt Disney World...a future that stretches...to infinity and beyond!

Enjoy!

58a08a1a0473d.image.jpg

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Much like how 50 for the 50th is organized, I will offer you guys an ever-growing content list so you can keep up with all the ideas I have in store.

List o' Ideas

Magic Kingdom
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream ~ Main Street, U.S.A.
Disney Dreams at the Main Street Theater ~ Main Street, U.S.A.
Walt's: An American Restaurant ~ Main Street, U.S.A.
Center Street Renewed & Other Shop Stuff ~ Main Street, U.S.A.
Legend of the Lion King ~ Adventureland
Indiana Jones Adventure & The Forgotten Kingdom ~ Adventureland
Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment & Caribbean Plaza ~ Adventureland
Jungle Cruise Refurbishment ~ Adventureland
Western River Expedition ~ Frontierland
Storybook Village ~ Fantasyland
The Hunchback of Notre Dame: A Musical Adventure ~ Fantasyland
Peter Pan's Flight Refurbishment ~ Fantasyland
Storybook Village Cul-de-Sac ~ Fantasyland
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Refurbishment ~ Fantasyland
Small World Plaza ~ Fantasyland
Wonderland and Storyteller's Nook ~ Fantasyland
Arendelle ~ Fantasyland
Avenue of the Planets ~ Tomorrowland
Autopia ~ Tomorrowland
ShowBase 2071 and Cosmic Ray's Starliner Diner ~ Tomorrowland
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress Refurbishment ~ Tomorrowland
Walt Disney World Railroad Refurbishment ~ Mousecellaneous
Characters at a Glance ~ Mousecellaneous
SpectroMagic: Colors Combined ~ Mousecellaneous

EPCOT Center
The Mission of EPCOT Center
Spaceship Earth ~ Future World
Stargate Plaza Reborn ~ Future World
Universe of Energy/Guardians of the Galaxy & Wonders of Life ~ Future World
Horizons, Motion & Flamingos ~ Future World
Journey Into Imagination ~ Future World
The Land ~ Future World
The New Mission: SPACE ~ Future World
The Living Seas ~ Future World
Introductions & Other Stuff ~ World Showcase
Mexico, Brazil, Norway & China ~ World Showcase
Jamaica, Australia & Germany ~ World Showcase
Switzerland, Italy & The American Adventure ~ World Showcase
Japan, India, Morocco, Egypt & France ~ World Showcase
Argentina, United Kingdom, Ireland & Canada ~ World Showcase
Characters at a Glance ~ Mousecellaneous
Tapestry of Nations ~ Mousecellaneous

Disney's Hollywoodland
Introduction
The Great Movie Ride (Part 1 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3)
CineMagic, Lakeside Club & Casting Call ~ Hollywood Boulevard
Echo Lake
The Courtyard (feat. Muppet*Vision, PizzeRizzo, Chez Muppet & Muppet Labs) ~ Muppet Studios
The Great Muppet Movie Ride ~ Muppet Studios
Walt Disney Theater & Animator's Palate ~ Animation Courtyard
Disney Animation ~ Animation Courtyard
Sunset Ranch Diner & INVASION! ~ Sunset Boulevard
The Golden Mickeys at the Theater of the Stars ~ Sunset Boulevard
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ~ Sunset Boulevard
Fantasia: A Musical Masterpiece ~ Sunset Boulevard
Toontown
Red Cars & Characters ~ Mousecellaneous
Disney Stars and Motor Cars ~ Mousecellaneous
Fantasmic!

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Earth ~ Discovery Island
Kilimanjaro Safaris Refurbishment & Other Minor Stuff ~ Africa
Journey into the Jungle Book ~ Asia
Adventurers' Outpost
South America
Australia
Redwood Creek ~ North America
Bambi: A Life in the Forest & The Rivers of Nature ~ North America
Arctic Ocean
The Dino Institute
Beastlie Kingdomme

Port Disney
Introduction
Mediterranean Harbor

Mousecellaneous
Disney Square
Disney's Progress City Resort

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I love your work so I am excited to see this project!! I’m sure you’ll have some great ideas that’d make sense to be added!!

Thank you very much! And please, feel free to post any feedback you have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.

1180w-600h_121516_one-mans-dream-anniversary-780x440.jpg

We begin, as always, with a trip to the Magic Kingdom, the park that started it all. And we begin with an idea that has always held a special place in my heart. Since the Magic Kingdom was Walt's last dream, I think it would only be fitting to restore the original version of Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (which is now Walt Disney Presents).

I would place this exhibit inside the Town Square Exposition Hall. Not only will this offer plenty of space for the exhibits and the movie theater, it actually brings the building full-circle, because from 1973 to 1992, the Exposition Hall played host to The Walt Disney Story, basically the predecessor to One Man's Dream.

town-square-theater-magic.jpg

For the most part, Walt Disney: One Man's Dream will remain the same as it did back in Disney's Hollywood Studios, albeit with its look re-done to match the Exposition Hall theme. Red carpeting, golden walls, basically what the Exposition Hall looks like right now. Even the plaques detailing the exhibits would change to fit the theme, with wooden panelings and old-timey fonts.

walt-disney-one-mans-dream-57327.jpg

Just beyond the rotunda of the Exposition Hall, you'll find the iconic "logo wall" (pictured above), serving as your entrance-way into the exhibit. The exhibits would be more spaced-out to fill the space of the building, but they would still take you through the history of Walt and the studio. In addition to some of the old exhibits, new exhibits from D23, the Walt Disney Archives and the Walt Disney Family Museum would find their homes here, too. I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of the WDFM's excellent "Disneyland of Walt's Imagination" diorama.

Disneyland%20model.jpg

Heading to the right at the northern-most edge of the exhibits would be the entrance to the theater. The entrance would be warmly-lit, with curtains hanging over the automatic doors. I would also take the opportunity to restore an old bit of The Walt Disney Story: an elaborate mural (as originally painted by Bill Justice), featuring the various animated characters that Walt helped bring to life in his time.

Imagineering-Disney_Character-Mural_Walt-Disney-Story-Theater_med.jpg

Basically, this but without the characters from 1970-onward (excluding the Winnie the Pooh characters, of course, because they were around before Walt passed on.)

This mural would sit in-between two sets of automatic doors leading into the theater, decorated like that of an elegant movie-house from the early days of nickelodeons. It is here, of course, that we watch a film about the life of the man who started it all, narrated by Julie Andrews and Walt himself!

Not only would this exhibit be moved, but it would also play host to two gift shops. Firstly, when you exit the theater, you exit out into a small shop called...

Walt's Hobbies
toystore5.jpg

This is a charming toy store, inspired by the toy stores of decades gone by. As the name implies, it is a tribute to the childlike qualities of Walt Disney. This shop sells model trains, doll house accessories, and other fine miniatures, combined with photos and memorabilia pertaining to Walt and his interests. Of course, these items are relatively simple when compared to the varying items of significant value - and importance - found at the shop nearby...

The Disney Gallery
a7Gthg8iv40hC4iaGbIpOPZJAyfInHGpoU_Jy0HoKVi_qEA2lZCLDwYMTKOUKkUPgTdRpoeTyIMQfT3U7TOV3GgWY6PLAvpO4mnVoQ-O-NEzpOpi9B6tOEQHmFvDYOv2YFfKXXXI

In a private collection of portraits, paintings, caricatures and sculptures, The Disney Gallery serves as a showcase for the artwork of Walt Disney Imagineering and Animation, past and present. Special displays show rare storyboards from the Walt-era films, and Q&A sessions with Imagineers and artists happen on the occasion. Plus, if your wallet's fat enough, you can purchase some of the items on display!

Where would this store be located, you ask? Well, you know how you can enter Curtain Call Collectibles via a wheelchair ramp running along the right-hand side of the building? Well, that's where that particular pathway will enter into. Essentially, the exhibition would take up most of the building, and the theater and the two shops would form one long column leading down towards the ramp.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.
"Disney Dreams" at the Main Street Theater

WDW-theater-10252017-970x545.jpg

Much like how @spacemt354 utilized a Disney Cruise Line show to fill the Main Street Theater, so to will I. And since I personally believe Golden Mickeys fits more with DHS, I decided to have this beloved classic open up the Main Street Theater.

The story of Disney Dreams revolves around a child who can't seem to find it in her heart to believe. The story begins one night as the child, almost asleep, is visited by Peter Pan, who takes her through the worlds of several beloved Disney characters, complete with rousing renditions of treasured songs. Delight as Mickey, Minnie, The Blue Fairy, Pinocchio and friends reveal the secret powers of the heroes residing within her own home—and heart.

Of course, there will be a few changes to differentiate the MK version from the DCL version. First of all, you've probably noticed I referred to the protagonist as a "child". This is because I want this child to be a gender-fluid role. So, depending on what show you see, you'll either see an Anne or an Andrew.

Also, the show will be slightly randomized a bit. Also depending on what show you see, you'll see different stories acted out. In the DCL version, the stories represented are Aladdin, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen and The Lion King. Well, with this new randomized set, you may also see scenes from the following: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Hercules, Pinocchio, Dumbo and The Jungle Book.

latest

~Randomized Scenes/Songs Coming Soon~​

Both versions of the show (pre-Frozen and post-Frozen) are available in the YouTube videos above, and I highly recommend watching them to give you a taste of what this show has in store. And like spacemt354, I would like to ask show expert @mickeyfan5534 his thoughts on this idea.

mickeyfan5534

Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.
"Disney Dreams" at the Main Street Theater

WDW-theater-10252017-970x545.jpg

Much like how @spacemt354 utilized a Disney Cruise Line show to fill the Main Street Theater, so to will I. And since I personally believe Golden Mickeys fits more with DHS, I decided to have this beloved classic open up the Main Street Theater.

The story of Disney Dreams revolves around a child who can't seem to find it in her heart to believe. The story begins one night as the child, almost asleep, is visited by Peter Pan, who takes her through the worlds of several beloved Disney characters, complete with rousing renditions of treasured songs. Delight as Mickey, Minnie, The Blue Fairy, Pinocchio and friends reveal the secret powers of the heroes residing within her own home—and heart.

Of course, there will be a few changes to differentiate the MK version from the DCL version. First of all, you've probably noticed I referred to the protagonist as a "child". This is because I want this child to be a gender-fluid role. So, depending on what show you see, you'll either see an Anne or an Andrew.

Also, the show will be slightly randomized a bit. Also depending on what show you see, you'll see different stories acted out. In the DCL version, the stories represented are Aladdin, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen and The Lion King. Well, with this new randomized set, you may also see scenes from the following: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Hercules, Pinocchio, Dumbo and The Jungle Book.

latest

~Randomized Scenes/Songs Coming Soon~​

Both versions of the show (pre-Frozen and post-Frozen) are available in the YouTube videos above, and I highly recommend watching them to give you a taste of what this show has in store. And like spacemt354, I would like to ask show expert @mickeyfan5534 his thoughts on this idea.

One of my personal favorite shows from the cruises. Can't really say much till the show run through but yes, I approve.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.
~~~
Walt's: An American Restaurant
walts-american-restaurant-night.jpg

I've always hated how the Tomorrowland Terrace sits dormant most of the time. Well, I would finally take the opportunity to turn this sad shell of a building into something worthwhile. Enter Walt's: An American Restaurant.

Walt's is one of the most acclaimed restaurants to come out of Disneyland Paris. This is a luxurious restaurant featuring upscale American classics in an upscale setting inspired by the original Disneyland. It's pretty much Club 33 in everything but exclusiveness. As such, I feel it deserves a second home here at the Magic Kingdom. Not only would it get rid of a giant waste of space, but it would also give Main Street a bit of feng-shui, with both this and Crystal Palace flanking the street.

Upon entering Walt's, you find yourself in an extravagant lobby, decorated with a grand piano, a bust of Walt, as well as a small boutique named after Walt's beloved wife, Lillian. In fact, every day before his stint at the Grand Floridian starts, the pianist will often come here to play a few tunes. (I haven't been to the Grand Floridian before, so am I right in my assumption that the pianist could play here before heading to the GF?)

DSC_3054-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

As you can see, the lobby alone is gorgeous and has a ton of cool details. Even if you aren’t able to score reservations, it’s worthwhile to pop inside to check out the various pieces of Disney history on display. You probably won’t be able to go upstairs without dining at Walt’s. But once you get upstairs, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Like Paris, Walt's is divided into five rooms, each one themed around one of the five original lands of Disneyland: Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

DSC_3458.jpg

DSC_3401.jpg

DSC_3449.jpg

Walts-Restaurant.jpg

DSC_3448-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg

Of course, there are tons of details that couldn't quite fit into the pictures. It's a beautiful blend of Victorian styles and the magic of Disney. Now, the menu is quite large. You can order food a la carte, or order three-course meals from the Premium Menus.

A La Carte Menu
Appetizers
House Salad ~ $9.00
Caesar Salad, with romaine lettuce, croutons, and Parmesan shavings ~ $11.00
Crab Cakes, served with a side of Walt's chili ~ $14.00
Lobster Bisque, served with sweet corn and wasabi ~ $14.00
Chef's Platter, served with a variety of cheeses, breads, fruits and deli meats ~ $9.00
Leek Tart, served with cheese fondue ~ $12.00
Lightly-Smoked Salmon, served in Hollondaise sauce with marinated cucumber ~ $13.00
Soupe du Jour ~ $9.00

Entrees
Walt's Famous Chili and Beans, his favorite meal ~ $40.00
Lobster a la King, poached in butter, served with leeks braised in orange juice and a potato cake ~ $30.00
Grilled Filet of Beef, served with potatoes, green beans, shallot rings and red wine reduction ~ $35.00
Walt's Gourmet Burger, with lettuce, tomato, onion and farmhouse cheddar, served with thick-cut fries and Walt's famous chili ~ $25.00
Free Range Pork Chops, served with coriander pesto, macaroni and cheese, and asparagus ~ $25.00
Gnocchi, served in a grilled porcini mushroom sauce, with baby vegetables ~ $20.00
Pasta Primavera, with broccoli, roasted red bell peppers, roasted corn, sun dried tomatoes, green peas, spinach, artichoke hearts, and garlic, tossed in creamy Alfredo sauce and dusted with a Mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan blend ~ $30.00
Grilled Tofu, served with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and a vegetable medley ~ $20.00

Desserts
Cheesecake with Seasonal Berry Compote ~ $15.00
Chris' Cold Pie, lemon chiffon pie named after Walt's first grandson ~ $15.00
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake with Sorbet ~ $16.00
Creme Brulee with Caramelized Topping ~ $20.00
Chocolate Cake ~ $15.00
Seasonal Fruit Salad ~ $12.00
Assorted Sorbets & Ice Creams ~ $14.00

Drinks
Fountain Drinks ~ $8.00
Water ~ $5.00
Milk ~ $5.00
Wine, assorted varieties, by the glass ~ $14 - $19
Coffee ~ $12.00
Specialty Cocktail ~ $11.00

Children's Menu
Appetizers

Chicken Noodle Soup ~ $3.00
Children's Salad ~ $4.00
Vegetable Dippers ~ $3.00

Entrees
Junior Gourmet Burger, served with thick-cut fries, apple slices or grapes ~ $7.00
Fried Fish Sticks, served with thick-cut fries, apple slices or grapes ~ $12.00
Macaroni and Cheese, served with thick-cut fries, apples or grapes ~ $8.00
Mickey Meatloaf, served with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots ~ $10.00
Grilled Chicken Nuggets, served with mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and broccoli ~ $14.00

Desserts
Fruit Salad ~ $4.00
Yogurt Parfait, with strawberries, blueberries, bananas and granola ~ $4.00
Ice Cream Sandwich, vanilla ice cream in-between two chocolate chip cookies ~ $5.00

Meal is accompanied with either small water, small milk or small apple juice.

Premium Menus
Walt's Menu (Appetizer/Entree: $30.00 w/Dessert: $40)
Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad
or
Crab Cakes

Entree
Walt's Famous Chili and Beans
or
Walt's Gourmet Burger
or
Gnocchi

Desserts
Chris' Cold Pie
or
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Roy's Menu ($50.00)
Appetizers

Crab Cakes
or
Leek Tart
or
Lightly Smoked Salmon

Entrees
Lobster a la King
or
Grilled Filet of Beef
or
Pasta Primavera

Desserts
Chris' Cold Pie
or
Cheesecake with Seasonal Berry Compote
or
Chocolate Cake

Lillian's Menu ($40.00)
Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad or House Salad
or
Leek Tart
or
Crab Cakes

Entrees
Walt's Gourmet Burger
or
Pasta Primavera
or
Free Range Pork Chop

Desserts
or
Chocolate Cake
or
Seasonal Fruit Salad
But that's not all! It's true that Walt's plays host to some amazing food in amazing decor. But, if you were to ask me what the resort's crown jewel is, I'd have to give that award to the Passholder's Lounge, a special place just for Disney Annual Passholders. The Passholder's Lounge is a rotunda with large windows looking out to the hub. Here, Passholders can partake in various platters: fruit platters, vegetable platters, cheese platters, charcuterie, as well as select desserts: pastries, cookies, brownies, small cakes, as well as a sundae bar. Who doesn't love a sundae bar? But perhaps the best thing about the Lounge are the aforementioned windows. Through these windows, you'll get an excellent view of the Hub and Cinderella Castle, and the view is only amplified by the nightly fireworks, making this Lounge even more special. The rotunda also provides a nice space for special events: wedding receptions, business meetings, and all other kinds of events.

6084522451457662535%253Faccount_id%253D9

Thank you to @spacemt354 for this amazing concept art!

All in all, Walt's would be a much needed addition to the Magic Kingdom and give an upscale alternative for adults looking for a more quiet dining experience.

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.
~~~
Walt's: An American Restaurant
walts-american-restaurant-night.jpg

I've always hated how the Tomorrowland Terrace sits dormant most of the time. Well, I would finally take the opportunity to turn this sad shell of a building into something worthwhile. Enter Walt's: An American Restaurant.

Walt's is one of the most acclaimed restaurants to come out of Disneyland Paris. This is a luxurious restaurant featuring upscale American classics in an upscale setting inspired by the original Disneyland. It's pretty much Club 33 in everything but exclusiveness. As such, I feel it deserves a second home here at the Magic Kingdom. Not only would it get rid of a giant waste of space, but it would also give Main Street a bit of feng-shui, with both this and Crystal Palace flanking the street.

Upon entering Walt's, you find yourself in an extravagant lobby, decorated with a grand piano, a bust of Walt, as well as a small boutique named after Walt's beloved wife, Lillian. In fact, every day before his stint at the Grand Floridian starts, the pianist will often come here to play a few tunes. (I haven't been to the Grand Floridian before, so am I right in my assumption that the pianist could play here before heading to the GF?)

DSC_3054-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

As you can see, the lobby alone is gorgeous and has a ton of cool details. Even if you aren’t able to score reservations, it’s worthwhile to pop inside to check out the various pieces of Disney history on display. You probably won’t be able to go upstairs without dining at Walt’s. But once you get upstairs, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Like Paris, Walt's is divided into five rooms, each one themed around one of the five original lands of Disneyland: Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

DSC_3458.jpg

DSC_3401.jpg

DSC_3449.jpg

Walts-Restaurant.jpg

DSC_3448-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg

Of course, there are tons of details that couldn't quite fit into the pictures. It's a beautiful blend of Victorian styles and the magic of Disney. Now, the menu is quite large. You can order food a la carte, or order three-course meals from the Premium Menus.

A La Carte Menu
Appetizers
House Salad ~ $9.00
Caesar Salad, with romaine lettuce, croutons, and Parmesan shavings ~ $11.00
Crab Cakes, served with a side of Walt's chili ~ $14.00
Lobster Bisque, served with sweet corn and wasabi ~ $14.00
Chef's Platter, served with a variety of cheeses, breads, fruits and deli meats ~ $9.00
Leek Tart, served with cheese fondue ~ $12.00
Lightly-Smoked Salmon, served in Hollondaise sauce with marinated cucumber ~ $13.00
Soupe du Jour ~ $9.00

Entrees
Walt's Famous Chili and Beans, his favorite meal ~ $40.00
Lobster a la King, poached in butter, served with leeks braised in orange juice and a potato cake ~ $30.00
Grilled Filet of Beef, served with potatoes, green beans, shallot rings and red wine reduction ~ $35.00
Walt's Gourmet Burger, with lettuce, tomato, onion and farmhouse cheddar, served with thick-cut fries and Walt's famous chili ~ $25.00
Free Range Pork Chops, served with coriander pesto, macaroni and cheese, and asparagus ~ $25.00
Gnocchi, served in a grilled porcini mushroom sauce, with baby vegetables ~ $20.00
Pasta Primavera, with broccoli, roasted red bell peppers, roasted corn, sun dried tomatoes, green peas, spinach, artichoke hearts, and garlic, tossed in creamy Alfredo sauce and dusted with a Mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan blend ~ $30.00
Grilled Tofu, served with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and a vegetable medley ~ $20.00

Desserts
Cheesecake with Seasonal Berry Compote ~ $15.00
Chris' Cold Pie, lemon chiffon pie named after Walt's first grandson ~ $15.00
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake with Sorbet ~ $16.00
Creme Brulee with Caramelized Topping ~ $20.00
Chocolate Cake ~ $15.00
Seasonal Fruit Salad ~ $12.00
Assorted Sorbets & Ice Creams ~ $14.00

Drinks
Fountain Drinks ~ $8.00
Water ~ $5.00
Milk ~ $5.00
Wine, assorted varieties, by the glass ~ $14 - $19
Coffee ~ $12.00
Specialty Cocktail ~ $11.00

Children's Menu
Appetizers

Chicken Noodle Soup ~ $3.00
Children's Salad ~ $4.00
Vegetable Dippers ~ $3.00

Entrees
Junior Gourmet Burger, served with thick-cut fries, apple slices or grapes ~ $7.00
Fried Fish Sticks, served with thick-cut fries, apple slices or grapes ~ $12.00
Macaroni and Cheese, served with thick-cut fries, apples or grapes ~ $8.00
Mickey Meatloaf, served with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots ~ $10.00
Grilled Chicken Nuggets, served with mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and broccoli ~ $14.00

Desserts
Fruit Salad ~ $4.00
Yogurt Parfait, with strawberries, blueberries, bananas and granola ~ $4.00
Ice Cream Sandwich, vanilla ice cream in-between two chocolate chip cookies ~ $5.00

Meal is accompanied with either small water, small milk or small apple juice.

Premium Menus
Walt's Menu (Appetizer/Entree: $30.00 w/Dessert: $40)
Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad
or
Crab Cakes

Entree
Walt's Famous Chili and Beans
or
Walt's Gourmet Burger
or
Gnocchi

Desserts
Chris' Cold Pie
or
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Roy's Menu ($50.00)
Appetizers

Crab Cakes
or
Leek Tart
or
Lightly Smoked Salmon

Entrees
Lobster a la King
or
Grilled Filet of Beef
or
Pasta Primavera

Desserts
Chris' Cold Pie
or
or
Chocolate Cake

Lillian's Menu ($40.00)
Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad or House Salad
or
Leek Tart
or
Crab Cakes

Entrees
Walt's Gourmet Burger
or
Pasta Primavera
or
Free Range Pork Chop

Desserts
or
Chocolate Cake
or
Seasonal Fruit Salad
But that's not all! It's true that Walt's plays host to some amazing food in amazing decor. But, if you were to ask me what the resort's crown jewel is, I'd have to give that award to the Passholder's Lounge, a special place just for Disney Annual Passholders. The Passholder's Lounge is a rotunda with large windows looking out to the hub. Here, Passholders can partake in various platters: fruit platters, vegetable platters, cheese platters, charcuterie, as well as select desserts: pastries, cookies, brownies, small cakes, as well as a sundae bar. Who doesn't love a sundae bar? But perhaps the best thing about the Lounge are the aforementioned windows. Through these windows, you'll get an excellent view of the Hub and Cinderella Castle, and the view is only amplified by the nightly fireworks, making this Lounge even more special. The rotunda also provides a nice space for special events: wedding receptions, business meetings, and all other kinds of events.

3892771726_a49ed541e0_b.jpg

All in all, Walt's would be a much needed addition to the Magic Kingdom and give an upscale alternative for adults looking for a more quiet dining experience.
Honestly, Walt's had to be my favorite meal the entire time I was in Paris so YES! YES! YES!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Honestly, Walt's had to be my favorite meal the entire time I was in Paris so YES! YES! YES!

I'll have to take your word for it. I may be going on a trip to England and France next May, and if I do, I'll be sure to stop by!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Kingdom
Main Street, U.S.A.
~~~~
Center Street Renewed & Other Shop Stuff
33cdfddbaa56b25f3c84955a554a19d0.jpg

When the Magic Kingdom first opened, Center Street had extensions not only to the East, but to the West, as well. However, this was removed come the millennium in order to expand the Emporium. As such, I would restore West Center Street because it offers a great, out-of-the-way place to relax and enjoy a quiet moment away from the hustle and bustle of Main Street. Center Street also helps give the illusion that Main Street is bigger than it actually is, adding some depth to the area.

West Center Street is most well-known for the beautiful Greenhouse Flower Shop, which prominently displays its wares on the street, as seen in the picture above.

Moving away from West Center Street, we find Disney Clothiers in its usual spot, followed by the triumphant return of the Hall of Champions' original occupant: the Penny Arcade.

332966348_a1703b563a.jpg

And since the House of Magic storefront recently returned to Main Street, why not have the whole store return, too?

23131056_10155271737448983_1396401717_o-700x340.jpg

Back on the other side of the street, you'll find that the Main Street Cinema is once again open for business. As we all know, the Cinema was turned into the storefront for The Art of Disney. But, with the opening of The Disney Gallery down at the Exposition Hall, I figured, why not restore the Cinema to its original purpose? Once again, you can sit down in a cool, air-conditioned theater and enjoy some classic Disney shorts, such as Steamboat Willie, Flowers & Trees and Plane Crazy, played on a continuous loop. Plus, a small concession stand will open nearby, so you can indulge in popcorn, candy and soda while you watch. It's the perfect way to get away from the crowds and just take a load off for a while!

P04-0003.JPG

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Adventureland
~~~~
6e3b11c0.jpg

If you guys know me, you know that resurrecting long-lost attractions is a recurring theme when it comes to my ideas for WDW. Case in point, Legend of the Lion King. This show is certainly no stranger to the Magic Kingdom, having previously played at the Fantasyland Theatre from 1994 to 2002, when the theater was refurbished to make way for Mickey's PhilharMagic. But I think the show had a lot going for it, and I think it should be resurrected, but this time, in a place that makes much more sense: namely, the jungles of Adventureland.

With the return of Legend of the Lion King comes a rather new addition to the park: the Deep Jungle Theater. Located on the expansion pad in-between the Crystal Palace and the Swiss Family Treehouse...

upload_2017-12-16_22-8-45.png

...the Deep Jungle Theater is designed as an old cave, hidden deep among the dense jungle vegetation. Two bridges link the theater to the Adventureland mainland: one for entry, one for exit.

CONCEPT ART COMING SOON

Passing over the entry bridge, our attention is first pulled towards a large flat rock, with the show's logo carved inside it. Topiaries of Simba, Nala and Rafiki holding their cub stand proud behind the rock.

Epcot-International-Flower-and-Garden-Festival_Full_20526.jpg

Across the way, a topiary of Zazu sits upon a smaller rock...

5702c8cf5802139f60cb1bd378247f24.jpg

...as Timon and Pumbaa are situated a few feet ahead, almost hidden by the vines.

7c2b19527eecd877ea52f191bd226486.jpg

An opening leads further into the dimly-lit cave, where drawings, inspired by realistic African cave drawings, are found upon the walls.

twyfelfontein.jpg

One corner of this cave has a rock protruding out from it. This is important, because behind that rock is our pre-show. When the time comes, the rock separates itself in two and pulls itself back to reveal Rafiki, the wise mandrill. Utilizing the "articulated head" technology found the resort over, Rafiki introduces us to the story he will tell. After his spiel, a screen closes in around the small stage and plays the film's iconic "Circle of Life" sequence.

With that out of the way, we proceed further into the cave and into the main theater. The main theater also has cave drawings along its walls, but what separates this from the pre-show area is the fact that this section of cave has been taken over by the vegetation. Vines, moss and branches are prominently present across the theater. The theater holds 500 people, who watch the show unfold across a 125-foot stage. In fact, the stage is bigger than the seating area in order to use gigantic sets, including an 18-foot Pride Rock. Of course, the main show re-tells the story of Simba, the little lion cub destined to be king, and his struggle to find his place in the "circle of life". In a style similar to Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the show utilizes large puppets, known as "Humanimals", to help tell the story. The show also makes use of clips from the film, and in-theater effects, like wind and rain. The theater even rumbles during the infamous stampede scene! All together, the show runs 23 minutes (7-minute pre-show, 16-minute main show).

pic08.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Adventureland
~~~~~~
latest

indiana-jones-adventure-00.jpg

Rising high above the jungle foliage of Adventureland is the powerful structure of an ancient Bengalese temple. As with any ancient temple, it's rife for exploration, so it should come as no surprise that world-renowned archaeologist, Dr. Henry Jones, better known as "Indiana Jones", would drop by to see what all the fuss is about. What happens is the basis for what is widely considered to be one of the greatest achievements of Disney Imagineering.

Hopping aboard an EMV designed as a pre-WW2 troop transport, we journey deep into the temple, unintentionally provoking the wrath of its god, Mara. As such, we try to escape the temple and all its traps--skeletons, bugs, spears, snakes (why did it have to be snakes?), and even a massive boulder! While this attraction has modern special effects and magnificent attention to detail, the real star of the ride is quite possible the ride vehicles. Although they follow a track like a Fantasyland dark ride, the carriage that you're sitting in also moves independent of the chassis. This enhances the movement you feel on the attraction, sort of like an open-air version of Star Tours. The vehicles can also change speed, and even stop and back up. Indiana Jones Adventure may very well be the most dynamic and epically sized project Disney has ever brought to life. Indiana Jones Adventure is one of the Magic Kingdom’s major attractions, and unless you have no tolerance whatsoever for thrill rides, this is a “must do“ attraction. This is a fantastic ride that does not disappoint.

Backstory
As the story goes, Indiana Jones has reunited missing fragments of a map scroll of parchment documenting the precise location of an ancient Bengalese temple. The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, containing countless intriguing artifacts buried beneath silt by a flood of the nearby rivers over two thousand years ago, is undergoing excavation for archaeological research. The temple deity Mara seems to conditionally offer one of three gifts to all who come to the hallowed site: earthly riches, eternal youth, or visions of the future. The only condition is that one may never gaze into the eyes of Mara. Although Jones’ discovery, dubbed the “Temple of the Forbidden Eye” by the media, has set the archaeological community abuzz, his funding has run out.

It wasn’t until Indy invited his good friend Sallah to the temple that the F.K.E.T. was formed and Sallah decided to capitalize upon the popular mythology of the temple to fund the excavation. Much to Indy’s dismay, Sallah opened the temple to tours from random visitors, such as you and I, with promises of riches unlike any other. Good fortune has come to many of the tourists who survive, but others have not returned. Promising to find the missing tourists, Jones ventured inside the temple approximately one week ago, and has not yet reappeared. Jones also hoped to find the temple’s power source: the mysterious “Jewel of Power”, which Abner Ravenwood believed to be within an immense cavern, beyond the Gates of Doom. Marcus Brody has asked Sallah to continue conducting the tours, in the hope they may locate the famed archaeologist.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what F.K.E.T. refers to? Well, it's all part of a crucial element of the ride, and for the whole land for that matter. Yes, with the debut of Indiana Jones Adventure to Walt Disney World, Adventureland will be split into two sub-areas: Caribbean Plaza (which we'll get to later), and...

The Forgotten Kingdom
Lost%20River%20Delta%2012.jpg

Yes, the front and middle halves of Adventureland will receive a massive face-lift, so that they blend in with the exotic locale brought by Indy's arrival. Stepping into the Forgotten Kingdom is like stepping into the reels of Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Jungle Book. Big band music of the 20’s and 30’s can be heard crackling through the air via old phonographs and radios, setting the stage for some remote safari outpost in the middle of an unknown rainforest. The year is 1935, just two years before the "Ark of the Covenant" debacle Indy found himself in. The luscious and untamed landscape of the surrounding jungle hints at exploration and adventure. Rugged, weather-worn architecture of no specific origin protrude among the treetops, their occupants being the few brave merchants and settlers who dared to explore such an untamed region. Seldom ancient ruins decay among the plantlife, nearby excavation tools scattered nearby. This is truly a romanticized vision of an exotic world that never was, seemingly forgotten by time and pop culture.

Miniature crystal-clear waterfalls and calm, refreshing streams flow past walkways and into reed and mangrove-draped swamps and pools. A hazy mist rains down from the towering trees above. Exotic birds and insects chirp loudly in the distance. A beat-up power generator plumb in the middle of town gives “flickering-life“ to the dusty lanterns strung from tree-to-tree, hinting at an ongoing excavation. In the distance, a water buffalo snorts and a black panther snarls. Crackling ’30’s-era music emits seemingly from out of nowhere. Primitive artifacts line the fences blocking the unaccessible portions of jungle foliage. But the biggest aspect of the Forgotten Kingdom is the presence of the F.K.E.T. (Forgotten Kingdom Expedition Team). They have found several rare and unusual artifacts of a civilization lost in the sands of time. Here, we can explore the base and see what artifacts they’ve uncovered. Evidence of their explorations can be found all through the Forgotten Kingdom. Streetmosphere performers act as F.K.E.T. members and settlers, roping guests in to help them with their crazy expeditions. The existing Caribbean buildings that greet us once we enter will be touched up and made to look like they were made by the settlers. And don't be surprised to see a few references to the old S.E.A. pop up every now and then.

Obviously, this new re-theming will mean that the Magic Carpets of Aladdin will have to take guests to "a whole new world" for the last time. In its place is a lush oasis of swaying palm trees and colorful tiki gods, complementing the nearby Tiki Room. The oasis evokes the ambience of a South Seas paradise, with lush foliage, cascading waterfalls and exotic blossoms. Truly, this is a world untouched by human interference.

Suchomimus

Magic Kingdom
Adventureland
~~~~
6e3b11c0.jpg

If you guys know me, you know that resurrecting long-lost attractions is a recurring theme when it comes to my ideas for WDW. Case in point, Legend of the Lion King. This show is certainly no stranger to the Magic Kingdom, having previously played at the Fantasyland Theatre from 1994 to 2002, when the theater was refurbished to make way for Mickey's PhilharMagic. But I think the show had a lot going for it, and I think it should be resurrected, but this time, in a place that makes much more sense: namely, the jungles of Adventureland.

With the return of Legend of the Lion King comes a rather new addition to the park: the Deep Jungle Theater. Located on the expansion pad in-between the Crystal Palace and the Swiss Family Treehouse...

...the Deep Jungle Theater is designed as an old cave, hidden deep among the dense jungle vegetation. Two bridges link the theater to the Adventureland mainland: one for entry, one for exit.

CONCEPT ART COMING SOON

Passing over the entry bridge, our attention is first pulled towards a large flat rock, with the show's logo carved inside it. Topiaries of Simba, Nala and Rafiki holding their cub stand proud behind the rock.

Epcot-International-Flower-and-Garden-Festival_Full_20526.jpg

Across the way, a topiary of Zazu sits upon a smaller rock...

5702c8cf5802139f60cb1bd378247f24.jpg

...as Timon and Pumbaa are situated a few feet ahead, almost hidden by the vines.

7c2b19527eecd877ea52f191bd226486.jpg

An opening leads further into the dimly-lit cave, where drawings, inspired by realistic African cave drawings, are found upon the walls.

twyfelfontein.jpg

One corner of this cave has a rock protruding out from it. This is important, because behind that rock is our pre-show. When the time comes, the rock separates itself in two and pulls itself back to reveal Rafiki, the wise mandrill. Utilizing the "articulated head" technology found the resort over, Rafiki introduces us to the story he will tell. After his spiel, a screen closes in around the small stage and plays the film's iconic "Circle of Life" sequence.

With that out of the way, we proceed further into the cave and into the main theater. The main theater also has cave drawings along its walls, but what separates this from the pre-show area is the fact that this section of cave has been taken over by the vegetation. Vines, moss and branches are prominently present across the theater. The theater holds 500 people, who watch the show unfold across a 125-foot stage. In fact, the stage is bigger than the seating area in order to use gigantic sets, including an 18-foot Pride Rock. Of course, the main show re-tells the story of Simba, the little lion cub destined to be king, and his struggle to find his place in the "circle of life". In a style similar to Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the show utilizes large puppets, known as "Humanimals", to help tell the story. The show also makes use of clips from the film, and in-theater effects, like wind and rain. The theater even rumbles during the infamous stampede scene! All together, the show runs 23 minutes (7-minute pre-show, 16-minute main show).

pic08.jpg

I wonder why you didn’t use Moana or The Jungle Book (Not that there’s anything wrong with that other apart from that other show in AK).

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I wonder why you didn’t use Moana or the Jungle Book.
I'm saving Jungle Book for when we get to Animal Kingdom. And, although I was going to reveal this in a separate post regarding character meet and greets in the park, I was thinking about having Moana meet guests in the little Tiki garden I mentioned in my last post. However, expect to see Moana appear somewhere else in the resort...where, exactly, I won't say.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Kingdom
Adventureland
~~~~~~
Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment
pirates-of-the-caribbean-magic-kingdom.jpg

Set sail with the wildest crew to ever sack the Spanish Main! Entering past the watchtower and past a weathered sail bearing the title of the attraction, we meander through the fortress’ entrance and find ourselves lost in the flickering gloom of Castillo del Morro's foreboding arsenals and dungeons, still left as they were prior to a devastating sea battle, where forgotten prisoners and deceased soldiers still reside. A crumbling passage leads into a lush, tropical lagoon at twilight. From this Blue Lagoon, we board a cargo ship to set sail for the not-so-distant harbor of Puerto Dorado, where the Wicked Wench and its crew have launched a full-scale invasion in search of the town’s treasure supply. But that’s not all--Jack Sparrow himself is looking for the treasure, too. Can he find it before the others do?

This ride will be receiving a huge refurbishment. While similar to the 1967 original, the ride is now a combination of elements from both Marc Davis’s mind and that of the films as to provide a happy medium for fans of both. On top of that, I plan to expand the ride building and lengthen the ride, to bring it up to the standards of its Disneyland brother. Long has the Magic Kingdom Pirates been compared unfavorably to Disneyland’s, so I plan to remedy that with this refurbishment. This specific move would require the complete draining of the ride’s waterways, something that hasn’t been done practically since it first opened. In addition, I also want to add a second floor to the ride, overlaid on top of the current ride, to allow for a larger, longer opening sequence. This will also allow for a more immersive Castillo facade, riddled with battle scars and large circular holes that cannonballs seemingly left behind. In fact, there are cannons on top of the fort that actually fire, thus setting up the idea of a fort under attack. It all sounds drastic, but I’m sure it could work.

~~~~~~~~~​

Entering into Castillo del Morro, we pass by an old pirate mast, with a black sail upon it bearing the phrase “Pirates of the Caribbean“ and above that, a skeleton up in the crow’s nest, looking out into the distance with a telescope. Below the mast, you’ll find that the iconic green barker parrot has returned. Once you step under those golden arches, you find yourself in the catacombs of Castillo del Morro, blackened with gunpowder and strewn with skeletons. The queue has been refurbished to its former glory. It looks just as it did on Opening Day back in 1973. Once inside the fort, a short entrance tunnel plays a menacing version of the "Yo Ho" theme, but then the music goes silent. It needs to, because then we hear the soldiers of the fort preparing for a pirate attack. Essentially, this serves the same purpose Disneyland’s queue: setting up the storyline. We will soon find out that things will soon turn disastrous for this Caribbean town. A captain of the guard is heard ordering the preparations for firing on the pirate ship, and occasionally blasts of cannon fire could be heard. This, combined with the occasional refrain of "Yo-Ho" echoing through the halls, is absolutely essential narrative information that also creates the eerie impression that the pirates could be around any corner. From there, the queues diverge through different areas of the fort, coming back together at Pirate's Cove, a secret rear escape route. Through openings in the cave walls, a distant pirate ship can be seen in the harbor. Pirates are coming.

MoonlightBay.JPG

We escape through Pirate’s Cove and find ourselves standing on a rocky precipice, seemingly blown apart by an attack on the fort. We can see that we are now in an old swamp in the Caribbean. Palm trees and sand-lined beaches fill our field of vision, amidst settings of old shipwrecks. This all sets the mood for the adventure that’s to come. Heading down a path embedded in the rock formation, we head towards an old dock, where a never-ending parade of worn-out boats arrive under an arch in the rock formation (we pass right over them on the way to the dock), stop at the dock, pick up unlikely sailors, then make their way through the dense swamp, heading off for who knows where. Echoing throughout the loading area is the an old pirate’s voice: “Ahoy there, crew! For your safety, remain seated, keeping your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the boat—and watch your children. And no flash pictures! Prepare to make sail!”

maxresdefault.jpg

Our excitement mounting, we board our boat and set sail. An aura of mystery and foreboding is upon us as we sail along a dark, misted river, surrounded by deep jungle foliage. In the distance, the sounds of an approaching waterfall can be heard. The boats continue deeper along the river, the mood becoming much more tense. Suddenly a gust of sea air blows us into the the deep, dark caverns of a rocky passage in the shape of a skull. Inside the caverns, flickering torches light the walls, illuminating several bats from overhead. The boat heads up a small incline hill, leading to the newly-added second floor of the ride. Once on the second floor, the boat briefly travels down through the cavern, before coming across a familiar voice. Ahead, the sound of an approaching waterfall draws nearer, as a skeleton plaque is seen just overhead. The skeleton begins to speak.

"Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin’ in ev’ry cove, waitin’ to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin’ adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you’ve come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open, mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them what don’t obey."

latest

Upon the conclusion of the spiel, the boats take a quick dip down into the deeper caverns of the passage. A high-spirited chorus of the ride’s iconic theme, “Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate’s Life for Me“, plays, a tune which will become a familiar sound throughout our journey. as the boats continue through the caverns. The boats take another plunge down a second waterfall and into the ruins of a dark, musty grotto. Waterfalls cascade down from the rocky ceilings of the chamber, as a low mist covers the scene. The boats makes their way around large boulders and stagmites, revealing the remains of a disheveled skeleton crew washed on a forgotten beach. The pirates guard a treasure chest, which holds a plethora of gold and jewels. The boats continue to glide through the grotto, as a thunderstorm starts to erupt over our heads. We hear seagulls squealing and thunder pounding. Mermaids, similar to those in “On Stranger Tides”, seem to swim alongside our boats.

latest

Soon, we enter the abandoned hull of a sunken pirate ship. In the wake of the disaster, the pilot of the ship continues to steer the ship, as a fierce, severe hurricane erupts outside of the ship, illuminating the skeletal figure with brief flashes from the lightning. The boat passes through the Captain’s Quarters, where a pair of skeletal pirates are caught in the middle of a tough game of chess. In his bed, the skeletal Captain is examining a treasure map, while holding a mangled chalice. On the opposite end of the ship’s hull, a harpsichord plays a macabre version of the attraction’s theme. The boats exit out of the ship’s hull and into the caverns of the grotto again. The caverns are plentiful with huge piles of gold, treasure chests and unspeakable riches. In the far end of the cavern, the Aztec Chest from the original Pirates of the Caribbean film is seen.

The boats exit out of the glittering chamber and out into a dark chamber, where lightning flashes overhead. Projected onto the walls of the chamber, huge cyclones wrap around the rocky waters, as the boats make their way across the vast sea. Wind wraps around the boats, whipping at the guests. Mist spreads all throughout the ceiling of the room, making it seem as though a heavy rain is falling from the uneasy storm, without actually getting the guests wet. Throughout this ominous storm scene, ghastly voices warn the guests of the perils they face, as they travel to world’s end.

OLD PIRATE’S VOICE: You may not survive to pass this way again!

SKULL’S ECHO: Dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...

FOREBODING PIRATE’S VOICE: No fear have ye of evil curses says you. Aye? Hehehe. Properly warned ye be, says I.

Then, at the penultimate moment of chaos and confusion, the boats take another, sudden, third plunge. As the storm settles and we float back out into the ocean, we find ourselves heading towards the Caribbean town of Puerto Dorado...and for that matter, in the midst of a great battle! On our left is the Wicked Wench, pounding away with her cannons at a Spanish fort on the coast. The fort fights back with all of its might, but the winner of the battle is yet to be determined. Cannon fire blasts in-between the ship and fort, which happens to be the exact route of the guests, sometimes even getting them wait. Large impacts of wind hit the guests, simulating the feel of cannon fire. Longtime visitors may notice that Barbossa isn’t commandeering the Wicked Wench anymore. In this new version, I want old Captain Jack to be the only character from the films to be in the ride, for reasons that I will get into in just a few moments. Anyways, you’ll find that the red-coated, Paul-Frees-voiced Pirate Captain has returned in Barbossa’s place.

pirates9.jpg

Our boat drifts past the battle and into Puerto Dorado itself. Thank Heaven we survived that scene! But, no...we’re not safe yet. It appears that pirates have completely taken over the town! Those villainous scoundrels are everywhere! To our immediate right, the unfortunate mayor of the town, a man named Carlos, is being tortured in the town square. Carlos is tied up and suspended over a water well. His rope is being held by a pirate, who periodically dunks Carlos into the water and then pulls him out again. His wife watches in horror from a window above. Captain Jack Sparrow watches the scene from behind a set of cargo. The scene will revert back to its original audio, without any mention of Captain Jack. The reason why is very simple: Much like in the old days, the pirates are simply looking for treasure hidden within the town. Jack, who obviously isn’t a part of the crew, is secretly searching for the treasure himself, thus why he appears to have found it at the end of the ride.

Anyways, we float past the town square and find ourselves in another area of town. Here, the various bits of loot the pirates have stole are being auctioned off. The auctioneer, a fancy dressed pirate, is calling out orders as a fiery-redheaded female pirate shows them off. Our craft sails silently onward. We pass under a stone arch and find ourselves in a residential part of the town. There are balconies and staircases here and there. Throughout the town, several pirates are being chased away by some of the female villagers. Two pirates are seen stealing many goods from one specific house. Sitting below, near the waterline is a dapper pirate dressed in gold and blue. He smiles stupidly and has a habit of laughing due to the influence of alcohol. He appears to have quite of a load on. But then, which of the pirates here hasn’t? A scared woman is hiding in a barrel directly behind the drunkard. She slips her head up and takes a peek. Quickly, she retreats into the relative safety of the barrel. Recently, Jack was in the poor maid’s place, but now, he’s moved to the far left side of the scene. Here, a pirate has fallen asleep in a drunken stupor, the key to the town’s treasure vault tightly gripped in one hand, and the map leading to it in his lap. On either side stands a horse and a goat, both in which walk a sneaky Jack attempts to steal the map and key. Right as Jack is about to get it, the animals make noise, causing him to retract as the pirate makes some horrid noises in the form of snores. Jack goes back and, of course, the animals react. This never-ending sequence is guaranteed to garner a few laughs.

We sail on into the ride’s penultimate scene. Here, the pirates, in a drunken frenzy have set the entire town ablaze, as the buildings crackle with fire. The old fire effect has been removed and is replaced with Pepper’s Ghost effect flames, making the effect seem all the more realistic. The flames fill the night air with an orange glow. To our right, we pass one pirate who sits on a barrel with a bottle of rum. Several alley cats stand near him, one with it’s back arched, hissing wildly. Nearby, we find ourselves within arm’s length of a rowboat with two very intoxicated pirates seated in it and filled to overflowing with rum bottles, including some in the water nearby. On our left, we pass a trio of pirates singing “Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate’s Life for Me” alongside a donkey and a dog. Nearby them is a man with one foot in a row boat, the other on the dock. His arms are loaded with loot, several hats are sitting atop his head. He tries to sing the song with the rest of the crowd, but his nervousness about stepping into the boat precludes him from participating. To our right, a drunken pirate sits happily in the mud with three little pigs. Like four old mates, they share music and rum. Beside the drunken pig pirate, is an archway leading to another section of town. Sitting above the arch is another drunken pirate. His hairy leg hangs directly over us, prompting us to hold our breath until we’ve passed the arch.

In the next part of town, we find ourselves in the village jail. Six pirates are locked in two cells that sit right next to each other--three in the first, three in the second. A furry dog sits casually, just out of reach of the cells. He hold in his innocent jaws the keys to the jail. The pirates are whistling, and cooing for the dog to come over. The dog seems immune to their pleas and sits there, nonchalantly. We enter into the final room, where Captain Jack Sparrow sits on a throne, surrounded by all sorts of treasures. He acknowledges the guests, before sending them on their way. As we leave Captain Jack behind, we find ourselves going up a waterfall. When we arrive at the top, it is evident that there are no more pirates. At last, our boat is floating back to the lagoon to safety. Safety by the way of the disembarking area. That old pirate voice we heard at the beginning is heard again: “When the boat stops, please be steppin’ out to yer right. All hands, prepare to go ashore by steppin’ out to yer right.“

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Remember how in the last post I briefly mentioned Caribbean Plaza? Well, let's talk about that, shall we?

Caribbean Plaza
As you leave the Forgotten Kingdom, you notice a path that splits in two ways. One way leads towards the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, should you be brave enough to step inside. But the other way leads the way towards a village that's rather like an island community somewhere in the Caribbean.

From our standing point we can smell the scent of “paradise”, a very nice tropical smell of fruit, fresh foliage, and clean seawater. On the other side of the path we can see the looming figures of various works of architecture. Walking down the trail, we leave the jungle-like atmosphere of the Forgotten Kingdom behind. The jungle has become a tropical paradise, lining both sides of the path (which turns out to be a bridge). A crystal-clear waterfall pours down into a rushing stream. Nearby, a band of Hawaiian shirt-wearing musicians play a collection of steel drums and maracas. This encourages us to move forward and towards the other side of the bridge. As we continue a sign appears reading “WELCOME TO CARIBBEAN PLAZA.” No longer are we in the dense rainforests of the Forgotten Kingdom. We are now in the tropical paradise that is the Caribbean. Spanish-style architecture overtakes the plaza as dock-side shops and taverns line the streets. The smell of saltwater and all the delicious foods of the nearby restaurants fill the air and further strengthen the atmosphere. Tropical music fills the air, a nice departure from the swinging sounds of the 1930s music we’ve been hearing.

A lagoon sits where the Jungle Cruise's extended queue once stood, serving as the docking place of the infamous Black Pearl.

abebdbca6e805eb29679311e1ac2a66b--black-pearls-tatoos.jpg

An appropriate bridge connects the mainland to the infamous vessel, allowing us to explore the inner and outer sanctums of Jack Sparrow’s beloved ship. Guests can scout all of the hidden artifacts, treasure maps, the cursed medallions and even the Dead Man’s Chest throughout the hull of the ship, collected by Captain Barbossa, Captain Jack Sparrow and the entire crew of the Black Pearl throughout their excursions. Interactive elements are naturally in great supply, including but not limited to an animatronic Jack the Monkey and a rum cellar that has been recently emptied...sigh...why is the rum always gone? Deep in the hull of the ship, lies a watery, gloomy passage. Here, guests can experience a simulated attack by the formidable Kraken, who seemingly drags the ship underwater! In another passage of the Black Pearl, a meet-and-greet is hosted with Captain Jack Sparrow himself. On the deck, guests can witness real pirates doing their daily chores of pillaging and plundering, they can use real telescoped the scout out the secrets of Adventureland and use the interactive water features to blast away their onlookers.

Along the mainland, you may come across quite a few interesting entertainers. The Bootstrappers, a motley band of musical pirates, bring a sense of atmospheric charm to the long-lost seaport. Sonidos del Paraíso (“Sounds of Paradise”) is a Hawaiian-shirt clad steel-drum band, providing tropical tunes to all who care to listen.

Accessed from a secret cove entrance built into the side of Castillo del Morro is the Blue Lagoon Restaurant. This is perhaps Adventureland's most elegant dining location, simulating the romance and beauty of a Caribbean jungle in the glow of twilight. Here we dine under the moon and stars while boats carrying Pirates of the Caribbean passengers peacefully glide by, just before entering the cut-in-two hull of a proud galleon. Seafood is what's for dinner at this quaint veranda - surf 'n' turf, lobster bisque, fish and chips - while tattered flags, hanging lanterns and rusted lanterns provide ample lighting.

n017807_2050jan01_blue-lagoon-restaurant_16-9.jpg

Suchomimus

I'm saving Jungle Book for when we get to Animal Kingdom. And, although I was going to reveal this in a separate post regarding character meet and greets in the park, I was thinking about having Moana meet guests in the little Tiki garden I mentioned in my last post. However, expect to see Moana appear somewhere else in the resort...where, exactly, I won't say.
So what the show that’s currently over at AK then?

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
So what the show that’s currently over at AK then?
Nemo, which will still be part of my idealized Animal Kingdom. My Jungle Book concept will be more focused towards the Asia section of the park.
There's not much I would do with Frontierland. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain continue to be crowd-pleasers, and Tom Saywer Island is one of the best hideaway spots in the whole park. No, my only major change with Frontierland (apart from restoring Country Bear Jamboree to its original length, and bringing back the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon Revue) would focus on a new addition...

Magic Kingdom
Frontierland
~~~~~~~
Western River Expedition
western%2Briver.jpg

This is one of the rides people think about when they think of rides that people wish were built. The Western River Expedition was once considered to be the Magic Kingdom’s version of Pirates of the Caribbean. But sadly, the idea was shelved due to Pirates arriving by popular demand. But now, Western River Expedition has finally come to be. This attraction, inspired by the original designs of the legendary Marc Davis, helps balance out the thrill-heavy attractions of Frontierland with something that the entire family can enjoy together. On the ride, we'll join Hoot Gibson, a wise old owl, on a journey back in time to the days of the Old West, where the miners dug for gold, the raunchy noises of drunken cowboys sounded from the saloon, and bandits were known to cause terror...but in this time of desperation, the Indians would attempt to summon the great Thunderbird itself to end all these evils. Will the Thunderbird end all? Will the bandits get you? Will the cowboys sober up? Well, we ain't gonna find out just standing here like cattle. Let's find out!

This long-awaited addition to Frontierland will be located on the expansion pad nestled along the northern border of the Rivers of America...

upload_2017-12-18_14-53-17.png

...and is accessed by a beaten path leading underneath the train station.

Given how hyped-up this new area of Frontierland would be, crowd flow would be a problem. Therefore, I’d install two covered bridges--one coming, one going--to lead guests over the river to the expansion pad. I used covered bridges, because I fear that uncovered, guests would see backstage. As we approach the bridges, we come across a few log cabins hosting restrooms, an ATM, and a souvenir stand lovingly referred to as the Wilderness Outpost, where pioneers of all ages can rest a spell and purchase pop-guns, plastic bows and arrows, and the beloved coonskin cap. Also here is Comfort Corner Hideaway, a backwoods refuge home to some of the best comfort food (i.e. fried chicken and greens) this side of the United States.

Once through the covered bridges, we find ourselves standing before Thunder Mesa itself. Thunder Mesa is the third formation in the Frontierland mountain range. With rockwork similar to that of neighboring Big Thunder Mountain, Thunder Mesa stands proudly, welcoming guests to a world of Western adventure. A gigantic waterfall tumbes down off the top of the Mesa and flowing back into the Rivers of America. Nearby that sits the beginning of a dirt road leading up the mesa. Standing tall and proud right in the middle of Thunder Mesa, visible only from its right side, is the legendary Thunderbird Peak, a mountain which takes on the shape of the legendary Thunderbird, a storm-causing beast of Native American lore. From within its "opened-beak" pours down a raging waterfall, the biggest, steepest waterfall ever designed by Disney. The mighty "wings" of the bird scrape the sky at unimaginable heights, nearly visible from every last angle of the park. When night falls upon the park, the hollow-eyes of the great bird glow an unearthly green, hinting that although this mountain may be an inanimate being of God's green earth, something supernatural must be inside.

Even from the mainland, you can see Thunderbird Peak, as it rises high above the rocky rostrums of Columbia Gorge, another new addition to the Frontierland atmosphere. Essentially, this is a carbon copy of the excellent new addition to the Disneyland Railroad, and it really helps give the sensation that Frontierland's wilderness is bigger than it appears.

skdjfh031.jpg

If you dare discover the secrets of Thunderbird Peak for yourself, you can enter Thunder Mesa through an old, seemingly abandoned sawmill built into the base of the mountain. A sign atop the entrance door reads “Western River Expedition”. Two old buzz-saws flank the sign, with one reading the Stand-By time, and the other reading the FastPass+ return time.

Stepping inside the sawmill, bits of abandoned machinery lie all about the place, covered in dust and cobwebs. It seems as if the old mill has been forgotten, much like the eerie Haunted Mansion on the other side of the river. The offices of old mill officials appear, barred-off, and locked, although the barred-windows do allow a glimpse inside. The office of one “Arthur T. Logger” is still-lit, and the old fellow is still there...even if he's a long-dead skeleton. The poor fellow appears slumped over on his desk, a feather pen at hand. One with a keen-eye may catch the fact that he's writing a letter to his wife; a nearby letter from her explains how angry she is at him for not cleaning the dishes before work. Perhaps her constant nagging did him in? Flickering gas lamps, a la Indiana Jones Adventure illuminate the dark corridors, providing an ominous setup to what will be a rip-roaring good time. In the Employees' Lounge, several of the skeletal workers still stick around, motionless but grinning. One skeleton appears dead over a card table, cards still spread out across the table, a rather suspicious assortment of cards before him. A broken bottle of moonshine sits on the floor behind him, an obvious reference to his murder. As it turns out, he had been quite the cheater in life, and whoever he was playing cards with didn't take too kindly to that. Another skeleton sits at a dusty, broken-down piano, leaning backwards - his arms have detached and become stuck to the keys. A couple of red-eyed rats explore the eye-sockets of one skeleton, while the very last skeleton finds himself sharpening a large knife, perpetually stuck staring at guests...more so of an atmospheric thing than a Marc Davis-style gag. A flight of stairs leads us, well, upstairs and through a corridor lined with black and white photographs, circa 1848 - the California Gold Rush. In these unsettling, antique store-esque photos, images of Thunder Mesa in its heyday are shown, complete with the town at its best, Thunderbird Peak covered in forest, happy miners and railroad workers presenting Big Thunder Mountain, and most eerily of all, the Ravenswood Family, long before their "tragic" deaths. The occasional screeching of rat or crackling of a floorboard comes from overhead, perhaps hinting at more than rats inhabiting this old mill. Rather unsettled, we continue down the path, eventually finding a bright light at the end of the corridor, a bright light in which leads us to perhaps the most beautiful sight we've ever seen.

6787731715_3fe4500d4b_o.jpg

A choir of ghostly voices welcomes us to Rainbow Caverns, a luscious, almost heavenly grotto of natural magic. Stalactites and stalagmites line the ceiling and floor, whilst phosphorescent pools of beauty grace the floors, the distant screeching of a bat echoing from the endless shadows. Rock-work in the shape of cowboys, Native Americans, buffalo, and other western icons pop-up all over the place, thundering waterfalls providing a stunning backdrop. A fierce, bubbling, whitewater river thunders out from a waterfall and into parts unknown, sparking our hearts with mystery and wonder. The former rot of the sawmill is gone. This is truly a wonderland of nature's own design. Despite this, the hand of man has still touched these caverns, as evident by a small cargo-shipping area nestled on either side of a gurgling underground river below. Intrigued, we continue down the path, past the...seriously, I can't even begin to describe the beauty of Rainbow Caverns in full-detail. You have to see it to believe it.

Much to our surprise, the loading dock is now home to an endless parade of the mode of transportation we shall be riding in: worn rowboats with the front section dedicated to seating and the back dedicated to smuggling, judging by the number of crates that sit near the back of the boat. The ride system is a rather simple one, utilizing a similar boat system to that of Pirates of the Caribbean. The boats are less long than Pirates’, but the flume channel is wider, thus compensating for the loss in length. The boats have four rows, each row seating two to three people. Handles are stuck to the back of each row and to each side of the seats (this one applies to only the front row). These handles are there for travelers to hang onto just in case the waters get a little rough. After all are aboard, we head off into the heart of the frontier. As our boat chugs along, natural beauty surrounds us on all sides, even more so beautiful than it appeared from the queue. The glistening water surrounds our log, the colors and lights of Rainbow Caverns reflecting off of them like a funhouse mirror. This is truly Disney magic. Sadly, our log starts to go up a tiny lift-hill and outdoors, greeted by the friendly voice of Hoot Gibson, a wise old owl who used to entertain at the post-show of the former Walt Disney Story. Anyways, as we go up the lift-hill, Hoot’s voice is heard: “Hooo! Hooo! Howdy, everybody! Heading for a cruise ‘round the riverbend, are we? Well then, for your safety, please stay seated and keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the rowboat, and please watch your young'uns. Oh, and be sure to stow your personal belongins’ away. There are bandits ‘round these parts. Enjoy the frontier now, ya hear?”

And with that, our boat dips out of Rainbow Caverns and outdoors, gently hugging the front of Thunder Mesa. The remnants of the before-mentioned stagecoaches and early settlers are now closer than ever, judging by the fact that we're looping around the front of the rocky-gorge. A skeleton crushed between two rocks reaches his motionless arm to us, a la the skeleton reaching for water in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. As it turns out, he's actually reaching for the crate of moonshine floating in the water. Drifting to the right, we enter the mouth of a cavern in the side of the peak, passing by the waterfall that spews from the peak’s “mouth”, often times splashing us. Rather than finding the stereotypical cavern interior, we find ourselves immersed beneath a tube-shaped night-sky, glistening stars and distant planets everywhere, almost like an IMAX screen mixed with a theatrical set. The ride’s theme music slowly fades in as an instrumental. On the horizon is the dim-light of a setting sun, luscious desert foliage, rocks, and the occasional howl of a coyote strengthening the atmosphere. For the first time, we see ol’ Hoot Gibson as he sleeps on an overhead tree branch, as in the picture to the right, before waking and looking down with a hoot. “Hooo! Hooo! Roamin’ the ol’ frontier, are ya? No better place for a good adventure if you ask me. Some of the best adventures happen right here in the west, and nights like these remind me of the good ol’ days of cowboys and pioneers.”

qkwns.jpg

With that, a shooting star flies across the sky in a brilliant flash, suddenly changing the stars into constellations resembling countless western icons. As if by magic, many of the constellations even come to life, the animals making noise, Native American children running about, etc. Our boat departs from the top of the lift-hill, gently departing forwards, down a tiny, tiny drop and into a desert.

We wind our way through the open prairie at nightfall. White clouds gently rake a periwinkle blue sky. All around, large shadowy buttes dot a landscape and open sky awash in twilight blue. The words to the ride’s theme begin to be heard. Three buffaloes sit around a trio of prairie dogs poking in-and-out of the earth, barking the “words,” even if they're just inaudible chirps. Nearby, a cowboy sings to calm his cattle under the night sky. His tune is a slow-step version of the Western River Expedition theme. The cattle join in, bellowing along with his tune. Framed in natural rock arches, coyotes howls pick up the tune. The underscore music swells. The cowboy's team rest nearby around a campfire, bringing another guitar and harmonica into the mix. Picking up the tune is the cook at the chuck wagon...and an entire chorus of cactus (classic Marc Davis)! Little do the campers notice the trio of grizzly cubs that have wandered into their campsite. Two cubs cheer on a brave third cub from among the cacti that is stealthily snagging the fish hung from a nearby clothesline. On the other side of the river is another encampment built into a rocky alcove. One cowpoke plays the banjo, blissfully singing, completely unaware of his predicament - a huge grizzly, presumably the mama of the three cubs is ready to swipe him from behind, roaring fiercely to the point that we can see the drool dripping from her toothy-maw. The other cowboy sees the bear, speechless. Frightened, he waves his arms up and down pointing, attempting to garner his companion's attention to turn around and run. Oh well.

The music continues as we enter Panner's Banks. Hoot Gibson reappears, this time wearing a lit-prospector's hat. “Boy, this is back when the Tumbleweed Gold Mines were basically the gathering place of all the prospectors in the West. These desperate souls all wanted a piece of it, ya know? I guess greed always get the best of those human folks. Mines went bust due to it…” The miners pan for gold, humming the ride’s theme. Lit by gas lamps, four miners are kneeling along the banks of the river, shuffling their pans in the water. One of them is startled to find a pair of polka-dotted underwear in his pan. His nearby mule clutches a pan in its mouth, dipping it in the water, also looking for gold. Upon finding none, he raises the pan back up and gives a frustrated “EEHAW!!!” before going back down. The fourth and final miner reclines on a flat-rock bed, boasting a gold tooth, dirty overalls, a hat ridden with bullet holes, and a single boot. Despite his tired face, he's singing the ride’s theme as well, joyously plucking away at his banjo. His fishing pole, held still by a rock, is cast out into the water. Every so often, the line tugs, and, ironically a fish composed of golden scales leaps up from the water, having caught onto the hook. Sadly, the miner will never realize his fortune; he loves music far too much.

Unfortunately, our boat has sailed out of Panner's Banks and into the deadliest part of any frontier adventure: the Stagecoach Robbery. Up ahead, a quintet of banditos are holding-up a stagecoach crossing a wooden bridge, the frightened passengers raising their arms in terror. Each bandito wears a bandana; as do the full-on grizzly bears that they're using as horses. A couple of mules look on curiously, as virtually every barnyard animal does in Pirates of the Caribbean. The Head Bandito wears a top hat and rides a mangy black bear much larger than the grizzlies, a bear in which has one glowing-eye, an eye patch, jagged-teeth unlike the others (so jagged that they're ripping through the bandana-mask), gallons of slobber, and a tiny bowler hat strapped to his head by miniature strings. Turning his dual guns to us, the Head Bandito gives a laugh. “If someone finds out 'bout us, it's your head, ya hear? You never saw us, got it? I can assure you that we will meet again, amigos.” Luckily, we escape, lips-sealed.

The placid guitars turn into honky-tonk pianos, as the sounds of raucous shouting and gunfire are heard. Hoot Gibson, now wearing a cowboy hat, pops-down from nowhere, upside down. “Ah, Dry Gulch. This is the place where all those miners went to spend their newfound fortunes. Every night was like a wild hoedown, and greed and depravity ruled the land...”

This sequence may be the most iconic part of the Western River Expedition concept. To fully understand this scene we have to discuss Mary Blair's work on the ride. It's well known that Marc wanted to use Mary Blair's art to color-style the ride. Unlike with It's A Small World, however, the ride wasn't necessarily going to end up looking like a piece of Mary Blair art. The fact that Davis would from time to time put out pieces of Western River art with similar Mary Blair bold colors has led to yet more confusion. Western River Expedition was intended mostly to be made up of rock work and desert scenery, and it was going to be WED-style stylized naturalistic rocks and scenery, with Blair vivid colors. The Dry Gulch sequence in Western River Expedition would be the height of the ride's intense color stylization.

The right side of the town set is bathed in bright blue moonlight, the houses standing out against the hue with green clapboard and yellow windows. This side of town is filled entirely with Cowboys drinking and carousing, shouting and singing. It seems as if the cowboys have had a very successful cattle drive, and, with their newfound wealth, they simply must spend it on some pointless endeavor, so why not get drunk? The festivities begin, appropriately enough, at the local saloon, where a drunk-out-of-his-mind cowboy sits atop his drunk-out-of-his-mind horse atop the general store. The cheerful cowpoke fires his guns in the air, hollering various terms considered offensive to prairie folk back in the day. His horse gives off a gleeful, hiccup-ridden neigh, followed by the occasional burp. The angry general store owner stands on one side of his shop's porch, waving his fist and screaming at his rooftop visitor while on the other side, a cowboy companion cheers on his friend, waving his hat in the air. A nearby horse tethered to the porch cheers on his horse counterpart as well. A mother attempts to cover her child's ears to spare him from the cowboy's profanity. Ironically, her elderly mother is screaming more profanity at the cowboy than he's screaming at them, waving her closed-umbrella furiously.

SHOP OWNER: Get down from there at once you no-good cowpoke!

COWBOY: Yeehaw! I've never felt this good! I'm a flying eagle!

SHOP OWNER: I'll call the cavalry on you in an instant! You piece of rat fodder.

MOTHER: Don't listen, Billy, these men are bad.

GRANDMOTHER: Hush, Sarah! Get down here you rascally, flea-bitten varmint! Curse you and your drunkard friends!

COWBOY: (Singing) The shop owner and the cowman should be friends! Oh the shop owner and the cowman should be...friends?

SHOP OWNER: I'm not your friend, you filthy son of a gun! A pox on your house!

COWBOY: I'm a cowpoke, I have no house!

MOTHER: Never become a cowboy, Billy, they're horrible men.

GRANDMOTHER: Shut up, Sarah! Your father was a cowboy and I was a cowgirl. I give-in. Stay up there you filthy cowboy! A pox on your house, Mr. Shop Owner.

SHOP OWNER: Mrs. The Kid? What happened to you?

GRANDMOTHER: I'm a cowgirl at heart, you sorry excuse for a human.

MOTHER: Mother!

The saloon itself, known as The Gilded Lilly, features a cancan dancer on the front porch, raising her leg very high, boasting a golden slipper. Two sheepish gentlemen, surprisingly in suits, touch the slipper giggling. A nearby horse attempts to bite a carrot on the ground, but the rope tying him to a post prevents him from doing so. A special entry to the saloon labeled "SAIL-INS WELCOME" appears, guarded by a grinning Native-American wearing a floppy-hat, Navajo blanket, and a huge keg of moonshine in his hands, its top sporting a dimly-lit flame. His eyes shift around suspiciously, almost as if they were following us. The house pianist has been wheeled outside, pounding away at the keys of the honky tonk piano wildly, respectively playing the Western River Expedition theme song. A showgirl holding a rose sits atop the piano, much to the pleasure of a blushing, almost Pecos Bill-like cowboy holding his hat to his chest. The showgirl's rather burly boyfriend appears behind the blushing-poke, cracking his knuckles, ready to fight. One cowboy has fallen face-first in the mud, his rear end facing up, now the home of a chicken and her nest. Surrounded by torches, a Snake Oil salesman known as Dr. Fix-It at the end of the street demonstrates his wares with the help of a local strong-man (or rather, just a man behind a piece of wood made to look like a strong-man), with music provided by a lad and lass on banjo and trombone and a rather angry bear playing a fiddle (the bear in which is chained to his seat reluctantly, locked-in heavily).

FIX-IT: Yes, Sir, yes, Ma'am, I, Dr. Fix-It have the answer to all your problems! I present the one and only Strong-Man Potion! It will solve all your problems guaranteed. Want to impress your spouse? Want to pass school? Want to skip out on chores? Drink one drop of this tonic and your life is saved! Don't be a pig. Be a man!

GIRL: But I am a little girl. How can this help me?

FIX-IT: Do you want that dolly in the toy shop window?

GIRL: Yes!

FIX-IT: Well, you can't have it unless you're a strong-man!

GIRL: And how! I'll take twenty!

FIX-IT: Easy, little lady. It'll cost you a sum of eighteen dollars - three payments - no refunds.

GIRL: I'm sure daddy has that money. I'll write you a check!

FIX-IT: That-a girl! How about that, ladies and gentlemen? Our first customer Who's next? Who wants a bottle?

BOY: I do! I do!

FIX-IT: Son, you're a genius. What for?

BOY: I want to marry Mary Sue.

FIX-IT: Mary Sue? Why, that's a horse's name! Why marry her when you can be a strong-man forever? You don't need love!

BOY: And how! I'll take fifty!

FIX-IT: That'll only cost you one hundred dollars - five payments - no refunds!

Off to the side of Dr. Fix-It's wagon is another little stint to cheat customers out of money; “Take Your Picture with a Bear” A photographer takes a picture of a rather goofy-looking cowpoke with his arm around a huge stuffed bear.

The left side of the street is bathed in a fiery red by the setting sun. On this side, a bank robbery and gun battle is underway, the result of too much alcohol and too little authority. For starters, various shady-looking outlaws duck in-and-out from behind misplaced safes, overturned furniture, and other objects, firing away at both us and the other criminals across the way. The Union Soldier-like Cavalry have joined in on the battle, returning fire, and attempting to keep what little peace the town has left. Their brave general sits atop his proud horse, raising a cutlass high in the air screaming "FIRE!" Only, instead of his men firing, a criminal fires at his hat, causing it to spin around a 360-degrees. The same effect happens to numerous other objects, including misplaced hats, bottles of moonshine, and just about anything else able to be pushed around by bullets. A very pretty cowgirl pokes her head out of a stable, stealthily firing at a nearby bandit's rear-end, hitting him, and making him holler (like Goofy). Robbers have pulled the entire safe out of the bank and are using it as a shield. The barber hangs out of the Tonsorial Parlor, returning fire. His customer, still with a red-and-white checkered apron round his neck and a glob of shaving cream on his face stands outside, firing back at the robbers. The Mayor opens the doors of City Hall, angrily shouting “I will have order! As mayor of this city, I…” A gunshot is aimed towards him. He looks at us and simply says, “You’re on your own.” And with that, he goes back inside. The sheriff cuddles up to his horse a la Ichabod Crane, unaware of the clearly-visible tunnel being dug beneath him, leading out from beneath the jailhouse and into freedom. The sounds of the escaping prisoners can be heard digging away underground. His Calamity Jane-style deputy hides behind a building, taking an absurdly long time to choose her targets. And, at the end of the street is none other than Mr. Death, the local mortician, eager at all the chances his business will get once the fire ceases.

The Blue/Red split that mirrors the tone of the scenes found on either side of the river is the boldest stylization found on the ride, and even more remarkable for being conceived in the form of a sunset.

Boats turn a corner towards the left and pass through a narrow canyon between two buttes. The sounds of the honky-tonk piano and gunfire fade as now pounding native drums take up the rhythm of the Western River Expedition theme. The transition out of the Dry Gulch scene and into the next is made by passing under a bridge, where a cowboy and Native American stand. Whilst the cowboy fires off his guns and screams the song lyrics, the neighboring Native American plugs his ears and keeps a single eye-open, not amused by the unnecessary sound.

Native American drums and chanting are heard in the distance as we enter a dense pine forest on the outskirts of town. Smoke can be seen arising from among the trees. Hoot, now wearing a feather headdress, reappears, even having war paint on his cheeks, wings folded. “These natives are summoning the Thunderbird, the only bird capable to calm the greed of men. But be warned: a storm is coming…” Over to the western shore is a Plains Indians Village, where the natives are partaking in a rain dance ceremony of sorts. These stunning animatronics chant and pound drums, some even dancing as the fire produces smoke-made images of the water and the sins of mankind. An incoming storm can be heard, complete with rumbling thunder, a crackling in the underbrush, and a cold breeze. A shaman dances wildly to the native sound. In the distance, another rain dance is being held on a butte, and it's remarkably effective, sending cascading rain down... atop only the butte, at first. Water pours down the side of the butte, widening into flowing rivers and rushing towards the boats. As the sounds of the storm get louder and more dramatic, the friendly Chief attempts to warn us from proceeding: “No. It’s too dangerous. Please do not go further.” But it's too late. The water has become rapid, the storm has begun, and rain, thunder, and lightning surround us from all sides. Storm clouds glower overhead and bolts of lightning tear the sky as rain can be seen falling on the distant plain. The little boats move slowly towards a dark canyon straight ahead.

Thunder and lightning rip the sky far above as we slip slowly into the narrow space. Flood water begins to pour into the canyon from the buttes above to the left and right, spattering on jagged rocks. The boats turn another corner and begin chugging up a huge waterfall. The eyes of unknown animals flash in the dark around them. Red-eyed wolves begin to appear among the foliage, snarling, howling, and growling hungrily. At one point, even a mountain lion appears, springing-out from absolutely nowhere, creating quite a scare. In a clearing among the treetops, the legendary Thunderbird comes into sight with a mighty screech, flapping its wings and creating a huge bolt of lightning. Arriving at the top of the waterfall, the boats move slowly through a great forest at the top of the butte on the edges of the plain. The rain continues to fall, but the rain dance was too late. In a flash of light, the lightning strikes a tree, causing it to burst into flame. In a matter of seconds, the whole forest is on fire. In this mayhem, our boat has been spinning around, tossed and turned by the rocky waves, and we have begun chugging uphill, suspenseful music filling the air. The tall trees have already begun to topple and the boats pass below several as they creak and groan, flames dancing atop each one. On top of that, the rocky waves have made our boat face backwards. To make matters worse, the banditos have returned with their bears, guns pointed. Right as we reach the top, the Head Bandito gives us a word of friendly farewell: “End of the line, amigos. There is no turning back now. Adios!” And with that, in a style similar to the former Maelstrom attraction at Epcot, we nearly fall off Thunderbird Peak, before, facing forward once again, dropping down into the inky blackness below.

We then make a small turn and find ourselves back in Rainbow Caverns, this time paying witness to a spectacular display of fountains. Hoot Gibson glides in on a little rowboat, dressed as a fisherman, complete with line cast in the water and pole in his wings. “Ain't nothing like a western adventure, eh? Oh, but don't be sad. There'll always be a day for another adventure on the western frontier. And say, looks like those old banditos got was coming to 'em! Ol' Thunderbird sure agrees.” Rounding a bend, we find the nest of the now-sleeping Thunderbird, an impressive creature, caught once again in her rumored-to-be eternal slumber. The notorious banditos on the other hand have gotten what was coming to them. On the opposite side of the nest (to the starboard side), the banditos have all been tied-up to a large post, surrounded by chirping baby Thunderbirds, all reaching their necks up hungrily. The squealing banditos raise their feet up perpetually, not wanting to be “baby's first breakfast.” A little ways down, the beast-of-burden-bears have removed their bandana-masks and fallen asleep in awkward positions, joyously enjoying hibernation in happiness. And with that, our boat pulls back into the loading area; we disembark, head up a flight of stone stairs, and head back outside Thunder Mesa, ready for a new adventure on the frontier, or maybe even a return trip on the Western River Expedition.

Suchomimus

Nemo, which will still be part of my idealized Animal Kingdom. My Jungle Book concept will be more focused towards the Asia section of the park.
Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. I meant the Festival of The Lion King (I got TLoTLK mixed up with Festival) that’s currently playing at AK.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Fantasyland
~~~~~~
Storybook Village
img_4753.jpg

As we all know, Fantasyland got a massive expansion five years ago, and with this expansion, guests could finally step into the worlds of such classic films as Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Dumbo and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs like never before. But what of the "Old" Fantasyland? As the years have gone by, the "Old" Fantasyland has started to show its wear and tear. As such, I say we pull the old "1983" on them and give Old Fantasyland a massive makeover! And not only that, we'll also explore new lands that will be added to this glorious place as well.

First of all, Old Fantasyland, as we know it now, will be turned into its whole sub-land: Storybook Village. This is a quaint little village with architectural inspiration derived from the likes of Bavarian, Swiss, and Tudor-styles. Cobblestone streets lead the way past the ornate buildings and beautiful gardens. The existing Bavarian-style architecture remains, albeit touched up a bit to better match the new architecture being added. All of the original Renaissance faire tents have been removed in favor of this new Village setting. Minstrel-style arrangements of classic Disney tunes and non-Disney tunes alike fill the air, creating a sense of medieval trade and fellowship. Beloved Disney characters roam the streets, eager to meet with guests, thus making Fantasyland the land where characters live.

Here are some pictures to help set the scene a bit...

4562298-16868806-thumbnail.jpg

640RoyalReception01.jpg

fantasyland_panorama.jpg

latest

xmagic-kingdom-fantasyland-rich.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9dGJvlMaYd.jpg

If you want an example of how some of the existing attractions will look with this new "village" setting, I'll provide one. The former tournament-tent facade of Princess Fairytale Hall, as well as the nearby facade that used to mark the Seven Dwarfs’ Mine shop, will be replaced with a facade reminiscent of that for Disneyland Paris' Auberge de Cendrillon, complete with a replica of the pumpkin coach nearby!

6128570663_e0eed1dfed_b.jpg

n017780_2050jan01_auberge-de-cendrillon_16-9.jpg

Also, I would take this opportunity to completely remove the Castle Forecourt Stage. With the addition of the Main Street Theater, having another little stage a few feet away seems redundant. However, I would set up a temporary stage for Halloween and Christmas, so that the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular and Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration would continue to delight guests.

WDW-705%2B-%2BCinderella%2BCastle%2Bat%2BMidnight.jpg

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Fantasyland
~~~~~
3c119d80.jpg

Continuing with my usual habits of resurrecting old attractions, we come across the first new addition to Fantasyland. The old theater where Mickey's PhilharMagic used to delight guests has undergone a transformation. The tent-marked concert hall has morphed into an old building that wouldn't feel out of place in 19th-century Paris. The building is festooned with streamers and banners, as if prepared for a jubilant celebration of sorts. And right in the center of it all is a large bell tower, the bell of which rings to mark the hour. Atop the tower is a white flag, which, if our days of Shakespearean study in English class have taught us anything, means that a play is being performed! And on the front-facing side of the tower rests a banner bearing the play's name, as seen above. Openings in all three sides of the tower lead into the building.

3693289480425328258%253Faccount_id%253D9

Thank you to @spacemt354 for this concept art!

Inside the building, we find ourselves in a glorious stone-faced lobby, not unlike the inside of a grand cathedral.

the-hunchback-of-notre-dame-the-hunchback-of-notre-dame-16708156-948-620.jpg

393982db681c2f76b80592d98c063bc0.jpg

Lit by the soft, dim glow of candlelight, the stone lobby offers a feeling of peace and sanctuary. Gargoyles and statues look down upon you and smile. Soft instrumental arrangements of the film's score fill the air. Stained-glass windows depict characters from the story we are about to hear.

ae7dca0067789d10e9cba12eb0c9e15c--esmeralda-disney-disney-disney.jpg

However, the theater itself is an entirely different story. From the safety of this cathedral, we find ourselves deep in the catacombs of Paris, in the Gypsies' secret hideout, the Court of Miracles. The stage looks exactly like the stage of the original DHS version, and blends in perfectly with the catacombs. Giant bells sit not only above our heads, but in holes along the walls as well. Ancient carpets and other goods line the whole place, immersing us in the setting.

Suddenly, the bells start to ring. Gypsies begin to swarm in. The powerful chords of Alan Menken's sweeping score fills our ears. And then, it begins. Clopin appears and leads us through an unforgettable retelling of Quasimodo's inspired tale. Despite the efforts of the cold, self-righteous Judge Frollo, the deformed bell-ringer eventually finds freedom through his friendships with the beautiful gypsy Esmeralda and the captain of the guard, Phoebus. The story is told through the use of uplifting musical numbers pulled straight from the film, vibrant costumes, innovative and expressive puppets, and a healthy helping of special effects. Honestly, the only major change I'd make here is to re-instate "Hellfire" and remove "A Guy Like You".

hunchbackofnotredamemgmstudiosdisneyworldflorida2.jpg

Fantasy Faire, the shop the show exits out of, has also been given the Hunchback treatment. It also looks like a Gypsy cottage, with all sorts of unique wares to sell.

fantasy-faire-00.jpg

Oh, and by the way, if you still love Mickey's PhilharMagic, fear not. The show will make the move to DHS. Just where, I won't specify.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. I meant the Festival of The Lion King (I got TLoTLK mixed up with Festival) that’s currently playing at AK.
Don't worry, my friend. Festival will still be part of the Animal Kingdom experience. Besides, although they're both based on the same movie, the differences come in how they're presented. Legend is a straight-up retelling of the story, and Festival is a celebration inspired by the movie's songs.
Magic Kingdom
Fantasyland
~~~~~~~~~
Peter Pan's Flight Refurbishment
aPeterPansFlight-LondonScenecloseup.jpg

Peter Pan's Flight remains one of the seminal classics here at the Magic Kingdom, and I think it's only fitting to give the ride a massive refurbishment so that it sparkles like never before. This new, refurbished take on the classic dark ride is fully immersive--heavily influenced by Shanghai's version, as well as the update Disneyland's version received--with new set pieces and animatronics.

Right off the bat, the changes are apparent. As part of the new Storybook Village setting, the ride's exterior has been given a Tudor-esque makeover, much like Disneyland Paris’ exterior. Stone walls and wooden supports, topped by patched roofs as blue as the sea, fill our field of vision.

n014966_2020jun01_peter-pan-flight_16-9.jpg

Our entryway into this building is through an old tower. Perched atop the tower is an old weathervane, with arrows pointing towards the different directions of the compass and Captain Hook's ship, the Jolly Roger, atop it. Nearby is a similar weathervane, but minus the arrows and with a silhouette of the Crocodile atop it. Perched on the panelings of the tower's balcony is a sign bearing the ride’s name. Longtime visitors may notice it as the exact same sign as the current version: a giant cloud bearing the name and Peter Pan, the Darling children and Tinker Bell soaring past Big Ben. However, there's been an added bonus. The words have been embedded with LED lights, so when night falls, it will look as if the words are glowing with pixie dust. Hanging from the tower are two signs, one to the left boasting the FastPass+ return time, and the one to the right boasting the current wait time.

peter-pans-flight-gallery11.jpg

Stepping through the tower, we pass through ornate wooden switchbacks, much like California’s queue. It should be noted that I would remove the interactive queue. I honestly think it's ridiculous to go through the Darlings' nursery when you already go through it on the ride. In addition, some of the space will be used for the ride itself. The current loading area mural, depicting Neverland, will be replaced with a mural similar to Shanghai’s, depicting a London park at night.

The ride will be largely the same, as there's not much room to do anything too fancy with it. However, the track and pirate ships will be scrapped and replaced. First, the fleet of ships will be replaced, allowing for more polished and new ships to fly to Neverland and back. But these new ships will feature two rows of two (similar to the Disneyland Paris version), allowing for a doubled capacity and parties of two, three and four to ride together.

dsc034171.jpg

The track will be completely replaced, allowing for a smoother ride and a more believable experience. With the current tracks and vehicles, the ships squeak along the track, taking away some authenticity. However, the crown jewel of the new ride system is the additional Kuka arm disguised into the mast and sails of the ship. This new Kuka arm will allow the vehicle to be programmed with many new movements that the current system cannot do. Throughout the refurbished attraction, the vehicles will now tilt slightly forward, backwards or side to side. In addition, the Kuka arm allows the ship to rise or fall along the track.

Now, let's move on to the ride itself. All of the scenes in the right have received a full work over and enhancement to bring the classic ride into the 21st century while still having the nostalgic charm of the original 1971 attraction. All of the audio animatronics in the attraction will be replaced with new, enhanced animatronics with full range of motion. In addition, all-new set pieces will be created, and state of the art LED effects will fill our field of vision. Once all guests are aboard (the Omnimover loading system will be discontinued), suddenly, a projection of Tinker Bell appears in the nearby trees, spreading her pixie dust. As she flies through the trees, projections and mounted LED lighting the pirate ships begin to glow with pixie dust. Suddenly the ships come to life and float upwards and forward. A wooden gate opens and we begin our journey.

We find ourselves in London, the moon rising high over the nearby houses. The house of the Darling family sits to our left. We hear the familiar sound of a flute playing Peter Pan’s leitmotif. Making a left turn, we pass through a window and into the nursery. The nursery is as ornately-themed as all the other versions are. Standing nearby another window in the nursery, we see Peter Pan holding Tinker Bell in his hand, shaking her so that pixie dust is seen falling down upon Wendy, John and Michael, who start to rise off the floor.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/05/pp-800x400.jpg​

You go out the window as an instrumental version of "You Can Fly!" starts up. We hear Peter's voice calling: "Come on, everybody! Here we go...! Off to Neverland!" Nana floats nearby (as we can see, some of the pixie dust must have gotten on her), waving good-bye with her paw. We sail past some of the neighboring houses on the Bloomsbury street the Darlings call home. The ships really come alive here bobbing, tilting and weaving through the scene to replicate the feeling of flight. 
Then the ships pass through a cloud (simulated by a fog effect) to unveil a glittering London beneath them.

peter-pans-flight-gallery03.jpg

The entire set has been revamped to make it glitter in the night while projections and LED’s add to the magic, including improved car effects on the streets and even the effect of the Thames' river's water "shimmering" in the moonlight. The entire room is surrounded by a large projection screen depicting the night sky. As we exit, we can see Peter and the Darlings flying past the moon (as they pass the moon, their silhouettes are seen). Peter is heard saying "There it is, Wendy. Second star to the right and straight on till morning." The ships then turn to face a giant mist screen, projecting the "second star to the right", which reveals itself to be the island of Neverland. Tinker Bell appears via projection and motions for them to follow her.

The ships pass through the mist screen and suddenly they are flying right over Neverland. All of the water in and around Neverland will feature a projected, moving surface, adding realism. The cannon effect here from Captain Hook's ship is the same, but Hook and Smee's voices have been updated. Hook now says, "Here they come, Mr. Smee! Shoot 'em down!" To which Smee responds, "Aye-aye, Cap'n!" and then fires. The ship quickly swerves to dodge the cannonball but guest can feel the wind rush by them. But aside from those, the scene is more or less identical as to how it has always been: same mermaids, same Indians and so on and on. However, the cawing noises made will also be updated to sound more like seagulls. In addition, more set pieces will be added to make Neverland feel more immersive.

Anyway, you end this part of the ride by flying past Skull Rock and from there, flying by the usual scene of the ride with Wendy about to walk the plank of Hook's ship, John and Michael and the Lost Boys lashed to the ship mast, the pirates all looking on and Peter and Hook dueling up in the mainbrace. Here, the figures of Hook and Pan are improved and more convincing as their blades somehow connect. Also, so that Hook can duel with his sword instead of his hook (as is the case in the ride now, bizarrely), the positions of the two will be switched, so that now Peter Pan is on the left and Hook on the right. This is also to keep the hook on Hook's left arm as usual (in Disneyland, it's on his right arm, for some reason). All the figures have been updated to fully animated animatronics giving real life to the scene. Meanwhile, the crocodile waits nearby, ticking away as usual.

Swinging around the ship, the pirates are all knocked out and the usual scene of a victorious Peter (now wearing Hook's hat and coat) and the Darling siblings poised at the ship's steering wheel as Peter tells Tinker Bell, "Cast off for London! Pixie dust!" Upon Peter’s command, the ship turns a bright shade of gold (in the form of fiber-optics which quickly covers the entire ship). You then see the usual scene of a defeated Hook standing precariously on the crocodile's jaws to avoid going into his mouth. Unlike previous versions, the jaws actually try to scissor shut (with Hook's legs with it). Hook calls out for help to Smee, who answers from a rowboat. The projected water effect will also be showcased in this scene.

Once past Hook, we pass through the foliage and head towards a giant moon, which turns into the face of Big Ben. We pass through the moon/face and find ourselves back in London. Above the buildings and trees, a screen depicts the gold-colored ship flying off into the night, trailing pixie dust behind it. However, once it passes the moon, we see it become a cloud. You then head to the unload area and get off to the right.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom
Fantasyland
~~~~~~
Storybook Village Cul-de-Sac
9573375_orig.png

Now, one of the biggest let-downs of the modern-day Fantasyland is that incredibly narrow pathway in-between Peter Pan's Flight and "it's a small world".

image-jpeg.247357

As such, I would take this opportunity to move "small world" to another corner of the park and give it a refurbishment so that it can finally stand on its own against its larger counterparts. But what of the space left behind? Well, I would finally open up that pathway, and take the opportunity to bring some more classic Disney stories to life. Enter the Storybook Village Cul-de-Sac. In the grand style of Disneyland's Fantasyland, here is the place where four beloved stories neighbor each other, inviting guests to step into their worlds.
~~~~~​
First of all, on the left-hand side nearby Rapunzel's village, you'll find an elegant wooden manor that looks like it came straight out of the English countryside. Soot-stained chimneys protrude from its rooftops. Upon further investigation, we find that this manor serves as the home of yet another long-lost favorite making its triumphant return!

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
mtwrtoadhall3.jpg

Yes, Virginia, this beloved and much-mourned dark ride has finally come home! Inspired by the “Wind in the Willows” segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, we board a motorcar for a manic drive through the English countryside, “merrily on our way to nowhere in particular.” I want this ride to look just as it did before it closed in 1998--the same exact ride as before, featuring two tracks, two different experiences and an endless array of banked turns, near-misses, and sudden surprises.
~~~~~​
Now I know some of you may be thinking that I'm wasting valuable space because this cul-de-sac is the perfect place to put in something Tangled-related. Well, don't worry, I've got that covered. Directly above Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, serving as the "second floor" of the manor, is a new kind of experience here at the Magic Kingdom....

Rapunzel's Enchanted Passage
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ch7I2aNUgAIR-Wp-600x400.jpg

In a similar vein as Le Passage Enchante d'Aladdin at Disneyland Paris, this is a walkthrough past dioramas recreating various moments from Tangled. There are murals, dioramas, projections, everything to make you feel like you're right there with the characters. But the crown jewel of this walkthrough is what lies in the middle of it all: The Lantern Dome.

maxresdefault.jpg

Inspired by the famous "I See the Light" scene, this 360-degree room surrounds a model of the Kingdom of Corona, surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds of actual floating lanterns, truly immersing guests in a world of awe and beauty. Heck, guests can even send their own floating lanterns to go among the throng!
~~~~~​
Directly in the middle of this cul-de-sac, the Tudor stylings of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride transition into a fjord reminiscent of 19th century Norway. Chalets and shops typical to a seaside village in the Scandinavian region line the streets (reindeer-tracks embedded into the pavement). Behind this Nordic village is a vast mountain range, covered with snow and mist. Dead-center in this mountain range, Elsa’s ice palace glimmers in the shimmering sun, while the cozy alleys and close-knit streets lay adorned in wood-carved trolls and vikings in the stead of shopfront decor, a la Epcot’s Norway Pavilion. This is, of course...

Arendelle
DSC_9034-L.jpg

Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post (& Sauna) sits to the west amid a grove of tall pines, always seeming to have a year-round “big summer blowout”. The friendly shopkeeper sells us any and all things Frozen, in addition to fresh carrots and special winter-wear designed exclusively for the park.

WOT7058034LARGE.jpg

Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf are often seen meeting guests, either nearby Oaken’s or in their own snow-capped chalet. They're always eager to share "warm hugs" with all those who come to meet them. In fact, at certain points throughout the day, guests can help Elsa spread a little magic in the form of an impromptu "flurry" descending onto the streets.

DSC_4377-600x397.jpg

Olaf-Parks675489891.jpg

Nearby, built into the Nordic facades, Arendelle Treats fills the air with the enchanting aroma of freshly-baked goods, but mostly the favorite of Elsa and Anna - chocolate. Arendelle Treats serves as a neighbor to the Troll’s Keep, selling hand-made clothing and miniature trolls.

At the far end of the village is a facade made out of stone, with a giant stained-glass window in the middle of it all. This, of course, serves as the respective home of Frozen Ever After.

IMG_0007.jpg

That’s right, I’d move this EPCOT attraction over here, thus moving a ride that doesn’t mesh with the reality of its current placement, into a world where it does fit, in an area where Disney movies come to life. The premise is that you’ve arrived in Arendelle just in time for “Summer Snow Day”, where Elsa will use her magical powers to make it snow during the hottest part of the year. Drifting through an icy willow forest, we soon find ourselves in the mysterious expanse of Troll Valley, followed by a mountain top climb to Elsa’s ice palace where she sings that iconic song. Arriving back in town by means of a small drop down the mountain, the Summer Snow Day festivities continue as Anna, Elsa and Olaf give us a musical send-off. But, I would also take the opportunity to “plus” the ride and give it a more coherent storyline. Here’s the changes I’d make.

First and foremost, I’d change the ride vehicles from boats to sleighs, embroidered with Scandinavian designs. I’d do this because I want “small world” to remain Fantasyland’s major boat ride.

latest

Anyways, the ride would begin much like it currently does--with us passing by Olaf and Sven (our sleigh would actually rotate, a la Omnimover, to face them) and the Trolls, who would be found on both sides of the track. But from here, things would get different. After passing through the dimly-lit troll valley, we glide through a dark forest, where the glowing eyes of the wolves menace. We make it through however and see Anna on her sleigh on the left, greeting us. We pass under a snow-covered rock arch and come up upon Wandering Oaken’s, where he stands on the porch and offers us his winter sale. In the windows, we see projections of his family in the sauna, waving. We float into a nearby barn and meet Kristoff and Sven, and then emerge into the Crystal Forest, filled with pointed ice spikes and Olaf and Anna pointing our way to visit Elsa.

From here, we head up to the second floor of the attraction: Elsa’s ice palace. Above us are ornately carved ice arches. At the top, we turn left to a wall of pointed ice arches looking out over the frozen mountain landscape, just as a very familiar song begins. Through a swinging set of doors, we finally arrive. This take on the ice palace would be far more extravagant than the Epcot version. Here, the palace will actually form in front of our very eyes. In front of us is a large automated set piece of the palace which actually grows in front of us in time to the music, as Elsa, who we see projected in the balconies, uses her powers. We then float underneath it and the huge ice chandelier above, pulsing with the music. Then we continue out of the tower and under the icy arches and to the next scene, where we see Elsa on her balcony completing the song. As we pass her by, we hear Anna calling to her, telling her she’s needed back in Arendelle. And so, the ride ends like it currently does: we pass by Marshmallow and the Snowgies, head down the mountain and return to Arendelle, where Anna, Elsa and Olaf give us a musical send-off.
~~~~~​
Back ashore, we find quite a familiar sight. Who better to serve as the fourth inhabitant of this cul-de-sac than someone who doesn't really get a lot of representation here at the Kingdom...apart from a restaurant? Yes, my friends, I would take this opportunity to give Walt Disney World its own version of...

Pinocchio's Daring Journey
maxresdefault.jpg

Held within what looks like a fanciful puppet theater, Pinocchio’s Daring Journey puts us aboard an enchanted woodcarver's cart where we explore a world where wishing upon stars and puppet shows are an everyday occurrence. But as usual, dangers are abundant in the world of fantasy, with vile coachmen, man-eating whales, greedy puppeteers, and little boys transforming into donkeys lurking around almost every corner. What will happen? Will our intrepid little hero ever become a real boy?

Now, what excites me about this particular idea is that I’d give the ride an expansion, allowing for more scenes and a more coherent storyline. Allow me to demonstrate.

The ride's exterior is modeled after the beautiful exterior of Disneyland’s ride. Passing underneath the theater entrance, we find that although the exterior may look Californian, the queue takes inspiration from Tokyo Disneyland’s version of the ride. After passing through those wooden switchbacks, we arrive at the loading area, which also looks like the Tokyo version. Passing through the loading area is a never-ending parade of woodcarver’s carts, ready to take guests through the world of Pinocchio. As we wait to board, we hear Jiminy Cricket provide the safety spiel.

Once inside our cart, we set off. Passing by a few village facades, a la Tokyo, we pass under an arch and towards Geppetto's workshop at night. The Wishing Star shines high above as we stop outside his workshop. Through the window, we see a workbench where a lifeless puppet--namely, Pinocchio--is seated. Suddenly, a holographic Blue Fairy appears, taps the puppet with her wand, and brings him to life. In doing so, she says: "Little puppet made of pine... wake! The gift of life is thine." The puppet moves around and says, "I can move! I can talk!" The Blue Fairy adds, "Prove yourself brave, truthful and unselfish, and someday you'll be a real boy." She turns to Jiminy Cricket standing nearby and says, "Mr. Cricket, I dub thee Pinocchio's conscience." Then she disappears.

As we pick up motion, we hear Geppetto exclaim, "It's my wish come true! Pinocchio's alive! But now you've got to go to school." The projected night turns to day as we head out onto the cobblestone streets. The instrumental strains of “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee” fill the air. We see Pinocchio, with books in one hand, and an apple in the other, being enticed by Foulfellow and Gideon. “My dear Pinocchio”, Foulfellow says, “you should take the easy road to success...to the theater!” As the two rogues escort Pinocchio toward the theater,, Jiminy appears again and calls out in protest, "Wait, Pinocch! You can't go with those ill winds in cheap clothing! You can't be an actor! You've got to go to school!" But this has no effect as you approach the entrance to Stromboli’s puppet theater…

Entering the puppet theater, we see Pinocchio performing “I’ve Got No Strings” alongside a Dutch puppet and a French puppet.​

2921426857_f48948f1b4.jpg

But as we leave, we hear Stromboli laughing sadistically as he bellows, "You will never get away from Stromboli now!" You then enter the backstage of the theater, similar to other versions out there. Here, other puppets are imprisoned in cages, Pinocchio especially, in a bird cage, as Stromboli leers at him menacingly, while saying, "This will be your new home, my little wooden gold mine!" You go past the both of them, past Jiminy Cricket pointing the way out. You go through the giant cage and out into the cobblestone street.​
Heading back out onto the streets, we come across a fork-in-the-road. Foulfellow and Gideon are standing beside it. It looks they've been messing with the directional signs. One points the way to Geppetto's Workshop and the other points the way to Pleasure Island. From the way the signs are pointing, you (and by extension, Pinocchio) seem headed in the right direction, but then the fox laughs uproariously while the cat hiccups. Jiminy calls out, "Wait! You're going the wrong way!"; it seems you are now crossing a stone bridge over some water, towards Pleasure Island…​

Pleasure Island is similar to other versions out there: you wend through the area, full of carnival attractions, themed to sweets and such, while "Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee" plays on a circus organ. At the farthest end of Pleasure Island is the Pool Hall, shaped like a giant 8-ball. Here, the truth about Pleasure Island hits, as Lampwick starts turning into a donkey before the terrified eyes of Pinocchio. Meanwhile, the Coachman stands menacingly off to the side and says, "So, you blokes choose the easy life, do ya?"

pinocchios-daring-journey_primary6.jpg

Leaving the Pool Hall, you see donkeys in crates, some wearing boys' clothing and either braying a melancholy bray or crying, "Mama!" and "I wanna go home!" while the Coachman says, "You boys have had your fun!" Meanwhile, Jiminy point the way out of Pleasure Island as he cries, "We gotta get outta here, before it's too late!" Just then, you come face-to-face with the Coachman again as he tries to pull open the door to a giant crate labeled "To the salt mines", while saying, "Don't leave yet!"

Somehow, you manage to slip by, and you come across a stormy sea, which is occasionally illuminated by flashes of lightning. Here, Jiminy stands on a sign reading, "Beware of Monstro, the Terror of the Deep!", while the cricket himself warns, "Watch out for Monstro! Nothing escapes from him!" You head forward into darkness, where you hear an unearthly roar. One last flash of lightning reveals that you're approaching the huge gaping maw of a whale… That’s right! In this version of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, we actually get to go inside Monstro!​

22ef671829fabcc4b67bc88c03dcad46--disneyland-parks-disneyland-california.jpg

The innards of the beast are littered with various shipwrecks. In the center of it all are Pinocchio and Geppetto on their ramshackle boat, contemplating their predicament. Pinocchio proposes a way to escape from Monstro by building a fire so the great whale sneezes. You pass by an effect of Pinocchio building a fire (it's a shadow effect, backlit by the fire). The room then rumbles and shakes, simulating an upcoming sneeze. Suddenly, the cars turn backwards, as if to go back the way you came, and then exit out of the whale's mouth. It is similar to Expedition Everest, with two hallways next to each other. To enhance the effect, you see a projection of Pinocchio and Geppetto on the raft blasting out with you.

You blast out onto a sandy shore. Turning back around, we find ourselves once again on the streets of cobblestone. To the instrumental strains of “When You Wish Upon a Star”, we cruise past the serene streets of the village. Jiminy floats down on his umbrella as he says We’re almost there now!” At last, we return to Geppetto’s workshop, the Wishing Star shining high above it. As we head inside, we find ourselves in pitch darkness. The only light comes from the ethereal light of the Blue Fairy, who waves her wand. And as she disappears, the lights come back on to reveal Pinocchio, sitting on the bed...finally a real boy. A beaming Geppetto stands beside him, Figaro and Cleo nearby. “It’s my dream come true!” Geppetto exclaims. “You are a real boy, Pinocchio!” “Gee, Father!” says Pinocchio. “I’m so glad to be home!” Finally, you see Jiminy standing by with a huge "Official Conscience" medal on his shirt while he says, "Gee, thanks, Miss Fairy..." With that, the doors to the workshop open and we head back out to the loading area.​

pinocchio.jpg

It seems only fitting that the ride exits out into the warm homestead of Geppetto the toymaker. In the tradition of Central Europe, the storefront window of Geppetto's Toy Shoppe appears laden with countless marionettes, cuckoo clocks, music boxes and peculiar toys - but mostly marionettes. On the highest windowsill, Figaro the cat enjoys an afternoon snooze, blissfully unaware of the cheerful bird just inches from his reach... Inside the workshop, we find a collection of unique sweets, toys, puppets and gifts, handmade and handcarved, some imported from Central Europe.

latest

And, of course, the Pinocchio Village Haus will still be here, offering Italian dishes to all who come. And the windows that once looked down upon "small world" will now look at the new, bustling cul-de-sac.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom