To Honor the CM...

hardcard

I am sorry to sound like a jerk but I will have no memory of someone I never met. I am sorry that he died..

I'll sooner remember Jim Whitman when the doors close than the recently departed... not to belittle Austins memory....

for those that don't know....

The doors were a mess at first. Jim Whitman's arm got broken in a
recycling test (the door DIDN'T recycle). Forever after that we used special
bat-like clubs (made by Disney Central Shops - Disney doesn't send out for
anything that it can make) that were known as "Whitman Probes" to test the doors."

kstella

Lets be realistic here... Disney won't commemorate anything.. He won't get a sticker, a coin, or a collectable plate... The last thing disney will want to do is remind guests that a CM was crushed to death in one of their monorails...

They'll commemorate his memory with a check for several million dollars.. After that, the family will sign a release of liability, and this entire thing will fade into memory..

Not trying to be harsh here, but if you think they are going to break the 'magic' with anything publically commemorating the CM's untimely demise, you're insane.

I think you are exactly right. I'm pretty sure there will be a nice check issued to the family that was injured. Disney is not going to do anything that is not designed to make the memory of this go away as quickly as possible.

CrashNet

For those who don't think they are going to do anything (and start hunting for a crow to eat), both Walt Disney World and Disneyland CMs are wearing purple ribbons on their nametags in Austin's memory.

A permanent tribute, maybe not, but they are doing something.

JustInTime

For those who don't think they are going to do anything (and start hunting for a crow to eat), both Walt Disney World and Disneyland CMs are wearing purple ribbons on their nametags in Austin's memory.

A permanent tribute, maybe not, but they are doing something.

I like the purple ribbon idea. Perhaps they could wear them once a year.

petersenjp

Maybe Disney wont do anything, but maybe the fans of Disney should!!!

Just throwing ideas out. Maybe one of the web sites could sell pins (nothing to fancy) with a monorail drawn out in purple.

Proceeds would be donated to the family.

durangojim

I know this will probably sound callous, but why do we wait until somebody dies to honor them? Austin's friends and family would probably appreciate some sort of celebration of his life, but what makes him any more important than anyother person who dies at WDW whether that person is a guest or CM? I think it is nice that this is being done, but I just don't quite get the rational that the whole company or park should pay special tribute to someone that had very little affect on many people's lives.

nikkie876

Original Poster
Maybe Disney wont do anything, but maybe the fans of Disney should!!!

Just throwing ideas out. Maybe one of the web sites could sell pins (nothing to fancy) with a monorail drawn out in purple.

Proceeds would be donated to the family.

I think that is a GREAT idea!

raven

Outside of the Epcot bus driver lounge there is a memorial garden honoring a driver that was killed in 2004. It was paid for by Transportation and Horticulture. Possibly the same thing could be implemented somewhere near the TTC or monorail storage facility.

EPCOTPluto

Outside of the Epcot bus driver lounge there is a memorial garden honoring a driver that was killed in 2004. It was paid for by Transportation and Horticulture. Possibly the same thing could be implemented somewhere near the TTC or monorail storage facility.

That actually sounds feasible enough. :) Probably in one of those flower beds between Mickey and Minnie, perhaps.

Eyorefan

I know this will probably sound callous, but why do we wait until somebody dies to honor them? Austin's friends and family would probably appreciate some sort of celebration of his life, but what makes him any more important than anyother person who dies at WDW whether that person is a guest or CM? I think it is nice that this is being done, but I just don't quite get the rational that the whole company or park should pay special tribute to someone that had very little affect on many people's lives.

I honestly get where you are coming from. There have been many CMs who have died in various ways in Disney Parks and non have caused the same about of fan reaction. And most of the time, I would agree with you.
I have to admitt, that while I do feel really bad that Austin lost his life, with his death I think we have also lost part of the magic.

The Monorail is such a symbol of Disney. It is something that almost every guest rides on at some point during their stay. The safety record had been so good that I for one ever thought twice about jumping on board. The monorail pilots have performed their jobs so well for the past 38 years that I forgot just how many people we are counting on to do their jobs perfectly for our safety. With this incident, and Austin's death that magic bubble has been broken. I now realize these people are humen who make mistakes and when we get on the monorail we are putting our lives in their hands.

To me, that is why I have done something on my blog to honor the Austin's memory. Why I will be sure to think every monorail piolte, and plateform crew member I see. I also think it is why Disney won't (and shouldn't) put up any sort of memorial. At the end of the day, Disney is show, and as bad as this accident was, the show must go on.

EPCOT Explorer

Something small near the pylons would be nice..:eek:

hardcard

drop a flower near the beamway when you go to the ttc... It's the pylon on the epcot beam right next to the water grate (drain).... can't be missed.. look on the beams for the signs of impact.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I think the big difference between Austin's death and the deaths of the other cast members throughout Disney history is that Austin most likely saved the lives of the family he had onboard Monorail Purple. That makes this situation unique when compared to the other tragedies. There is a family of 6 that is unharmed right now because Austin was able to bring Purple to a stop in time making it a 15 MPH impact instead of a combined 30 to 40 MPH impact.

A small plaque below the control consol of Monorail Purple, or Pink, or all of them would be a good compromise. Not public, not easily seen by guests, but it is there for those who want to pay tribute.

chipndale72

On the subject of Disney dealing with memorials: When my Mother,Father and Grandfather all died within 6 mths of each other in 2005, Disney would not allow me to do " Leave A Legacy" written in an memorial style, (the CM helped me re-write it, so they would allow it) I respected and understood their policy, however the world has changed alot since then and since previous CM deaths, we and the media are all much more "On-Line" now with internet mobile/cell phones with cameras, Laptops with anywhere broadband, facebook, twitter ect. ect. When Princess Diana was tragically killed it was not Royal Family protocol to have the flag at half mast on B__________gham Palace, the public reacted strongly against this, and the Queen allowed change in protocol to meet the needs of the public. In this tragic case, we have seen the horrific pictures, we have seen pictures and video of Austin and a brief life history broadcast around the world, I know for me it makes the story much more heart felt. Which leads me to the Princess Diana Exhibition at DTD, is that not a kind of memorial on Disney property? Has Disney now set a new president on this subject?

With regards to discontinuing/retiring purple, I can see both points on this, but will changing it's colour really make you forget the sad death of Austin? Imagine how the Disney parks would look worldwide if they removed or redesigned an attraction for each death (accident or health related)that has occurred. Either fairly empty parks with regards to attractions or totally different to how we know them today.

I really do hope that Disney will consult primarily with the family and additionally Cm's and guests (who want to provide input) in doing something to remember & honour Austin either privately or publicly. If not a memorial, how about some kind of yearly award to Cm's in his name?

CrashNet

To be honest, I kinda hope they don't retire purple. Doesn't WDW get Mack VIIIs next year (or supposed to)? They could do something special on the new purple Mack VIII. Either way, even if they don't ever do any kind of memorial, we'll always remember Austin whenever we see or ride on Monorail Purple. Maybe give it a second name: Monorail Wuennenberg (maybe a little bit of a stretch.)

AndrewRnR

I still think most people are missing the point here (IMO)... this accident is different because well it was caused by other cast members (not confirmed officially yet but I'm just saying). If, and I doubt it but you would be surprised what the union can do, the people involved in the accident still work with the company the LAST thing I'm sure they want to see is a memorial. Sure if someone dies like that is a total accident with no one else involved I could see a small note/plaque backstage but how can WDW put a plaque that says "someone died here and it was because of operator error" (yeah, yeah thats not what it will say but if you read between the lines) when those people still work for the company.

Again, no disrespect the the young man, like others have said Disney is a show and the show must go on. I certainly don't want to walk to the TTC and see flowers and stuff in his memory - I go to the TTC to escape the real world, to escape my worries and have fun.

timeman

I was just checking out the cfnews13.com website and they mentioned that a vigil was held tonight in Celebration to honor the monorail pilot that was killed. "One Rail One Family" was organized by current & former monorail pilots. They handed out purple ribbons to represent the color of the monorail he was driving & Celebration High School where he attended.

They also stated that according to monorail pilots at the vigil the purple monorail has been retired in honor Wuennenberg. Here is a link to the article on their site.

http://cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/7/11/vigil_planned_today_for_disney_monorail_pilot.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom