Tips to actually enjoy Disney World...

sittle

For fun, and competition, we like to hop on buzz lightyear, and the rider with the lowest score have to buy the soda's and ice cream sandwiches!

Multiple rides on either Spaceship Earth or Splash Mountain during extra magic (evening) hours is always fun... even better if they don't make you get out of the cart and you just go around and around.

.... My personal best is 4 continuous rides on Splash without leaving the log.... The song is still stuck in my head.

durangojim

Great idea for a thread! Mine would be:
Don't rush! Enjoy the ambience. If you like adult beverages, get to Epcot in the late afternoon and slowly go around World Showcase, enjoying a number of libations and really look at all the detail the imagineers placed in all of the countries -- it's truly astounding!
Also if you're staying on property, go back to your room around midday and take it easy by the pool. Read a book, or just kick back and relax. This is especially true if you're staying at one of the deluxes.
Finally, rent a pontoon boat on Bay lake and Seven Seas Lagoon, grab some lunch and have a picnic at sea. Can be really fun!

The first two work better without kids and the last one works just as well with or without children.

disneylemons

Since our group size and age range varies each trip we try new things all the time.. a few that stand out..

last year we were at the Japan pavillion and my daughter picked an oyster for the pearl - we didn't know that there was a little "ceremony" each time one was picked - she got lucky and had 2 in hers! and then everyone in our group had to try also - by the time the whole family was finished we had drawn a crowd watching! It was a blast!

My son loves to "shop SLOW" at the China pavillion so on the way around I get a grandmarneir slush and pick a seat to people watch - you wouldn't believe the people that stop and want to know what I'm drinking and were to get it..:)

We also are some of the last to leave on extra magic hours nights.. you can ride rides over and over.. the kids in our bunch do Kali river rapids because usually they don't even make them get out and ride until they look like drown rats.. so fun! I love leaving the parks late..when things have calmed down, you can see the lights and atmosphere and the bus/boat rides back are usually fun to see how tired everyone is from having a big day.

The biggest thing I have learned is to try not to RUSH through the vacation - soak it all up - my son took his girlfriend last year - I thought I had lost her and she was on the curb watching the Band perform on Mainstreet - it warmed my heart that she took the time to stop and enjoy when we just barely glance.. so slow down and enjoy is a big tip!

plaz10

Check out things from a different view.

Wishes from the beach of the Poly. Or catch Wishes while on Splash Mountain! Usually no one is in line!

cynic710

i really love all these replys, i must say in all my travels i am the one always trying to cram everything in. you better believe this year i will slow it down a notch and try to enjoy myself, especially going as a dad for the first time:)

devoy1701

Boardwalk is one of my favorite placeses to chill out. We usually take one night and grab a pizza from the Boardwalk Pizza Window. We also enjoy the street acts that can be found along the boardwalk itself. Later in the night we usually catch some of the movie on the beach out at Yacht and Beach.

We like to visit one different resort on each of our trips...we find something that we like about that particular resort, think that we could stay there on our next trip, and then re-book for POR. Creatures of habit.

My daughter likes to get fastpasses as we leave the park and then hand them to a family---she enjoys the smiles (and if you ever see us in the park, she likes it when people give us fastpasses, too!!).

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
A great tip.

Start a Disney tradition. No matter what or how old my children get, we will always make plans to go to Disney World around Christmas time. Christmas is the best time to visit the parks in my humble opinion. Nothing beats walking under the Disney Railroad in the Magic Kingdom right at dusk and seeing that beautiful tree right in the center of Main Street USA, all the sparkles and glitter, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I'll always have that with my family, I'll always remember those fantastic images.

Not worrying about chipped paint, or tarps, or proven facts about no budgets that no one can actually prove.

Jimmy Thick-This thread alone is what its all about.

ArtieJim

I don't sweat the small stuff. Light bulbs and chipped paint are no big deal to me. When I go I'm having fun on vacation and I'm in WDW, it's hard for me not to enjoy myself.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Another tip.

Once my in-laws were staying at All Star Sports and at All Star Sports, they have a goal post from football. My father in-law was a kicker in college and not knowing this, challenged me to see who can kick the longest field goal. To make a long story short, even in his 50's, the man put on a kicking clinic, so much so people were standing, watching, and started to cheer him on. People even started to challenge him to try to kick the ball through from all odd places, and he loved every minute of the challenge.

The tip is, just to take in your surrounding and find the magic thats there.

Jimmy Thick-The man can still boom that football.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Walk under the railroad at MK and see how long you can keep your head down before you HAVE to look up and see The Castle...

Bravo 229

One thing I like to do is visit France and Canada in World Showcase and speak French with the CMs. Sometimes I forget words or can't figure out what they're saying, but its fun to interact with them in their home language.

Also, if you're visiting World Showcase, enter into a shop and look for the trivia board - I know for sure the UK, AA and Germany have them. Try and answer the questions of the day, the CMs made it fun when I've tried. And if you're in DHS, try this at Sids!

Its been said before, but I'll say it again: slow down! Rushing around to see this or do that isn't going to make your day any better.

danpam1024

A great tip.

Start a Disney tradition. No matter what or how old my children get, we will always make plans to go to Disney World around Christmas time. Christmas is the best time to visit the parks in my humble opinion. Nothing beats walking under the Disney Railroad in the Magic Kingdom right at dusk and seeing that beautiful tree right in the center of Main Street USA, all the sparkles and glitter, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I'll always have that with my family, I'll always remember those fantastic images.

Not worrying about chipped paint, or tarps, or proven facts about no budgets that no one can actually

Jimmy Thick-This thread alone is what its all about.

I couldn't agree more! The tree and castle lightings, Christmases stories around WS, Osborne Lights, gingerbread houses and cookies, parades, "snow"on Main Street, hot mulled wine from Germany, decorations, good will, well the list goes on and on:xmas:

mrsdanalind

Kiss

One thing I like to do is visit France and Canada in World Showcase and speak French with the CMs. Sometimes I forget words or can't figure out what they're saying, but its fun to interact with them in their home language.

Also, if you're visiting World Showcase, enter into a shop and look for the trivia board - I know for sure the UK, AA and Germany have them. Try and answer the questions of the day, the CMs made it fun when I've tried. And if you're in DHS, try this at Sids!

Its been said before, but I'll say it again: slow down! Rushing around to see this or do that isn't going to make your day any better.

I believe that the best way to enjoy WDW is the KISS Principle.. Keep It Simple Stupid. I have a friend who is a scheduleaholic, her entire life is organized labled and stapled, so when she told me she and the family were going on VACAION:sohappy::xmas: in WDW, I dared her to not schedule anything but dinner. She came back two weeks later with a glass slipper she had made for me as a thank you. She really enjoyed it especially the roses ( as in taking time to smell them) She is still uber-organized, but not as fanatical when she goes on Vacation. The best way to enjoy Disney World is to relax, do some people watching, smell the roses, and take time out of reality for some serious FUN.

ml123_9

Take a day-off. Enjoy the pool, have an early dinner then maybe go to a park in the evening or shopping at DTD. It's a great way to recharge yourself. Plus, there's something about sitting next to a pool that always relaxes me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom