Tipping

The Mom

Premium Member
I saw a post which mentioned that the "standard" for tipping is now $2/bag. My questions are, what constitutes a bag, is the same rate expected at the "condo" resorts, and who exactly gets the tips...and how much?

For example: when I stayed at the BWV the bellman "totaled" my luggage at 14 bags!!! They were..

2 small overnight suitcases
2 "toiletry bags (one was a backpack)
2 coolers
5 bags of groceries
1 plastic bag with embroidery
1 plastic bag with "trip" snacks
1 CD case

Was I really expected to tip $28? I gave the person who actually transported the cart to and from our villa $20. I gave both the valet parker and the person who loaded the bags from our "trunk" to the cart $5 each. Did I under or over tip?

niteobsrvr

I never follow the "rules of tipping".

If I feel I received exceptional service the tip could be a larger than expected amount. For example a couple weeks ago, A friend and I were eating at one of the chain restaurants. You know the ones that can turn anyting into an appetizer for 10 dollars. :lol: Anyway, The waitress was phenomenal. We never had to ask for a thing. IT seemed like just as we thought about something she was there with it. I would have swore there was a soda fountain right at the table. Anyway, our bill was roughly 20 dollars but our tip was nearly 10 dollars.

If i dont have to wait too long on anything then 10 to 15 percent is about what i usually leave.

If I feel like you see me as an obligation and not a guest, I leave nothing. The way i figure it if you are going to work like you only get 2.35 an hour or whatever it is these days, then I will certainly do my part to make sure you only get paid that amount.

If I am made to feel special while being waited on then I will return the favor monetarily.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by disneyprep50321
Marcia, there are some websites that will tell you the proper amount.

I used to have a program on my palm pilot, my palm pilot isn't working right now or I would tell you.

I've checked websites, but they don't usually cover what the tip is for grocery bags being transported by a bellman at a deluxe resort! :lol: Also, no one has answered as to what a "bag" is....which is part of my question. I was amazed when I saw the "official" total!!! If I hadn't known that our condo wouldn't be ready (it was only around noon) we would, of course, have been carrying several items ourselves. Since I knew they were going into storage, I let him put everything on the cart, and only kept what I needed for the park. Trust me, this was the most I've ever tipped a bellman! ;)

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by The Mom

I've checked websites, but they don't usually cover what the tip is for grocery bags being transported by a bellman at a deluxe resort! :lol: Also, no one has answered as to what a "bag" is....which is part of my question. I was amazed when I saw the "official" total!!! If I hadn't known that our condo wouldn't be ready (it was only around noon) we would, of course, have been carrying several items ourselves. Since I knew they were going into storage, I let him put everything on the cart, and only kept what I needed for the park. Trust me, this was the most I've ever tipped a bellman! ;)

Mom,

I figure it's not the end of the world, and no one will be like "Cheap *****!"

Just give what you feel is reasonable for the work. Small bags get grouped together. I figure it goes by a "how much effort is this gonna take" rule. Two medium bags are worth the same as one big giant over stuffed bag that needs its own area code. Three small bags are the same as one medium bag.

That sounds reasonable, no? I wouldn't exceed 10-15 dollars though, unless you have a ton of luggage. I say a max of $10 per "cart" trip counts. So, however many of those luggage thingies you fill up works too :)

Otherwise, they're making about $50 an hour :p

-Rob

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Marcia, I commented the 2 dollars a bag thing to my parents and they said they were actually charged that by a bellhop in New york the last time they were there! And the guy wa asking 2 bucks even for my moms small make-up bag that was on top of everything else.

It's a hard subject for sure. I don't wanna sound cheap, and I'd love to help out, but when I think that 1 dollar is worth almost 4 bucks of my own currency, tipping becomes a vacation on itself.

Upvote 0

Worldphile

I consider a "bag" to be a major piece of luggage. I don't consider my briefcase or shopping bags to be bags. Basically, if my wife can't/won't carry it or if I go "oof" when I lift it, it's a bag. :lol: For example, we are from the North, so on checkout day, we often stuff our winter coats into a shopping bag. No way I'm tipping seperately for that.

The bellman (and Disney's lawyers) may have a different definition of what constitutes a "bag" while they are holding it for you, so Iwouldn't get hung up on their definition.

I tip $1 per bag (see definition above) and if I have 3 or more small bags (briefcases, shopping bags, etc.) I will add another $1.

I only tip when I actually see my luggage again. So, they guy who brings it to my room, and the guy who pulls it out of storage get the tip. I figured the bellman rotated jobs so it all worked out, but maybe I'm wrong on that and have been stiffing people. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

wed050499

Alright, first I'll only comment on what I know and that's Bell Services. Valets and Bellmen. This is where i worked at the BoardWalk.

As far as ratings go, industry standard is exactly $1.23 for the valets when they park and retrieve the car. Again, this is a standard, not to be taken literally (which actually happened to me one time). For bags from the valet unloading your car, $1.25 per bag is the standard, but I'll let you know that just to get a tip of any sort ($5-$10 per cart they load) is very much appreciated.

Bellmen are $2 a bag as we've heard. (actually, $2.12 per bag, but again, not literally)

In either case, we considered bags to be suitcases, laptops, carseats, briefcases, 2 grocery bags equaled one "real" bag, or any equivalent of that. If you have grocery bags or things like that mixed in with like 7 suitcases or whatever, I would just use the suitcase number and forget the grocery bags.

The thing to remember with all bell service folk at Disney is that they are only making $3 per hour. They deserve more in my opinion for the work they do, but they probably won't get it till the federal government raises minimum wage again. They do a good job and go through a lot of hell in the process.

Well, that's just the facts
Thanks,
Brian

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by wed050499
Alright, first I'll only comment on what I know and that's Bell Services. Valets and Bellmen. This is where i worked at the BoardWalk.

As far as ratings go, industry standard is exactly $1.23 for the valets when they park and retrieve the car. Again, this is a standard, not to be taken literally (which actually happened to me one time). For bags from the valet unloading your car, $1.25 per bag is the standard, but I'll let you know that just to get a tip of any sort ($5-$10 per cart they load) is very much appreciated.

Bellmen are $2 a bag as we've heard. (actually, $2.12 per bag, but again, not literally)

In either case, we considered bags to be suitcases, laptops, carseats, briefcases, 2 grocery bags equaled one "real" bag, or any equivalent of that. If you have grocery bags or things like that mixed in with like 7 suitcases or whatever, I would just use the suitcase number and forget the grocery bags.

The thing to remember with all bell service folk at Disney is that they are only making $3 per hour. They deserve more in my opinion for the work they do, but they probably won't get it till the federal government raises minimum wage again. They do a good job and go through a lot of hell in the process.

Thanks,
Brian

See, that's what I was thinking, $10 per cart seems really reasonable if you have a lot of bags. Otherwise, stick to a buck a bag and group smaller bags by 3's.

-Rob

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you all! That's the information I was looking for! Now, how much should I tip the desk clerk to get an upgrade? ;) (just joking, I think)

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

On the other hand . . .

A lot of people on this thread are trying to define what constitutes a "bag", and how much it's "worth" to carry each item. You may not want to tip for carrying a specific item, but look at it from the bellman's point of view. Even if he's carrying groceries, if he drops/loses/damages them, the guest is still inconvieced. Is it the end of the world if he loses your groceries and not your undies. That's a hard call to make. In a job where ANY guest might turn around and start screaming at you for the SMALLEST offense, they should be treating each and every item as if it's your most prized possession.

I know they don't all do this, but I'm trying to make a point. Maybe it shouldn't be the size of the item being transported it should be the level of inconvenience if the drop/lose/damage it.

And most of the time in my case, since I don't trust them not to incovenience me, I carry my bags myself, and then use the tip on ME!

Okay, I know I rambled but I hope somebody understands what I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by jeffs10
This might be off the subject but it still has to do with tipping.

You know in epcot how they sell beer in the venders as your entering the world showcase. you know they sell powerade, water, and beer.

Do you have to tip those guys or not. I Never new if i should or not. anyone have any idea? Are they working off tips or not?

I don´t know if this has been answered or not before (haven´t finished reading yet) but cast members in the parks (I mean not in restaurants) are not allowed to receive tips.

I got in trouble once because a guest insisted on giving me $5 for bringing his ECV to him after a show. I refused to take the money and he kept holding my hand and giving me the bill. I ended up taking it and I had not even put it away when a manager came to me. I explained the situation and didn´t get a reprimand because he saw that I refused it way more than three times. So be adviced, please don´t insist on tipping those cast members because far from doing any good to them, you can put them in trouble. There is a fund for those tips and it is supposedly sent to charity. If you want a cast member to receive something in return from you, stop by Guest Relations and leave them a note, or fill up a comment card about them. There is also a rule for cast members about gifts received but I´m not sure right now how it was. Maybe mktiggerman knows it and can elaborate. I was given once a gift certificate for a store, but the guest sent it when I was already home, so my manager sent it to my house. I guess that one was okay to get or it was okay because I was already home... I never thought about it before... :animwink:

Upvote 0

Worldphile

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. Always good to get info straight from the people doing the work.

When having bags held at the hotel, do people typically tip when storing the bags as well as when they are retrieved, or just when they are retrieved?

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
The gift rule is also 3 "no thank yous" and then you just accept it, fork it over to a manager, and if you really want it, accounting or someone puts a pricetag on it, you pay the price they deem, and they give the money you pay for the price of the item to charity.

Remeber all this because of an involved story about Robin Williams and a ViP tourguide and some sort of autographed stuff.

I think you get to choose the charity in this case.

-Rob

Upvote 0

memajajo

The thing to remember with all bell service folk at Disney is that they are only making $3 per hour.

Thanks,
Brian

I do not know how busy these people are, but it sounds like with just a couple of loads per hour, they are making more like $23/hr. or more. Pretty sweet for wheeling luggage around.

Upvote 0

Maria

Thanks,
Brian

My thoughts exactly! Thanks Brian. I also worked in a hotel but couldn´t remember the specifics.

That´s the thing... maids, waiters and bellmen live on their tips because their salaries are less than the other positions. (Most of the times they end up making more than the rest of the employees, but that´s another story....). So, that´s why it becomes some sort of "mandatory" to tip them. I mean, not mandatory, but you will always wonder if you tipped them enough or not.

I also agree that the amount of the tip is proportional to the service given and the attitude of the person. I have left restaurants without leaving one cent. I have also worked in the service industry and if I´m going to tip, they have to earn it well.

I might be wrong on this one, but isn´tt there like a pool for tips when the bellmen shifts change? I remember there was one and each bellmen brought the tips they received to a pool which was divided in percentages (according to what they were doing that day: bellman, valet, doorman) among the ones who worked that shift. I don´t know if that happens nowadays, but that´s how it was at the Hyatt where I worked. So it didn´t matter if you tipped the last one who took the bags to your room and not the one who put them in the cart, they would all get a share of that tip. Again...it relays on the honesty of the person to put that tip into the pool....

Upvote 0

Tramp

I tip $2 each time the valet either parks my car or runs to get it.
I've asked the valet outright if $2 is a fair tip for him to park the car and his response was, "Sir, $2 is $2 more than I get from most people, thank you."........that's pretty sad cuz those guys really hustle.

I usually tip $5 for the bellhop to bring the bags to the room and will often tip an additional $2 if he fills the ice bucket and opens the drapes...we usually have 3 suitcases and some small bags and I always help unload the cart.

...the Maids are tricky...i like to tip the 'regular' maid but often there's a different maid each day...I prefer to hand the tip to the maid at the end of our visit to be sure it gets to the right person. I can't see leaving a tip for a maid in the room for a job well-done only to be taken by a different maid the next morning who hasn't yet cleaned the room.

...waiters and waitresses get 15% for full service restaurants and 10% for buffets...and i usually base that on the total of the bill, drinks and tax included.

Tipping can get way out of hand so my rule is tip what u can afford and only for good service....not to impress your friends.

Upvote 0

wed050499

Originally posted by Worldphile

Thanks for the info Brian. Always good to get info straight from the people doing the work.

When having bags held at the hotel, do people typically tip when storing the bags as well as when they are retrieved, or just when they are retrieved?

There's no written rule on that one and I encountered folks who gave a buck or two for just like storing one bag for a couple hours on both storing and retrieval, sometimes just one way, sometimes didn't give anything.

Brian

Upvote 0

wed050499

Originally posted by memajajo

I do not know how busy these people are, but it sounds like with just a couple of loads per hour, they are making more like $23/hr. or more. Pretty sweet for wheeling luggage around.

However, I remember clearly when I was there that there would be times the bellmen or valets i was with didn't move for hours on end. Also, it's getting to the point for some of these bellmen and valets that they're lucky to make as much as i was as College Program (more towards the valets than bellmen) which was $6 an hour simply because most people just don't tip at all.

Thanks,
Brian

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Right, most people don't tip.

Lots of people don't realize that a maid is a "tipped" position like a waitperson. (I didn't until about 2 years ago)

I'm remembering all those times I didn't tip simply out of ignorance rather than malice.

I'm especially remembering things like band trips with 4 teenagers in a room. Massive messes and no tips. (Perhaps this explains the extremely poor service we got. We had 4 people and 3 sets of towels. Those towels were never changed during the 4 days we were at the hotel. This was NOT at WDW--it was the Sheraton Daytona Beach.)

I would hope that the service at the All-Stars would be better, but I imagine that the tips from students aren't.

It's a hard job and they deserve to be compensated.

However, I agree that one can deplete the vacation allowance fairly quickly by tipping everyone.

Somewhere there is a happy medium, but I haven't found it.

Upvote 0

DanStat

I wouldn't consider a grocery bag a bag...I would consider anything that rolls or has a big strap a bag...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom