tiny umbrella or poncho?

anonymousegirl

Okay, first of all, I don't mind getting a little wet. I don't worry about my clothes, hair or make-up. But we all know it can REALLY rain hard in Florida in the summer. So my question is, should I bring a super-small mini umbrella for use ONLY in those heavy downpours, or carry a poncho (which I tend to dislike as they make me sweaty and hot and are difficult to refold after use)?

For light rain I'll just walk quickly to my next ride/attraction and not bother with anything, but those insta-puddle storms soak you pretty much immediately.

Phonedave

If you get a good poncho, it will not be hot and sticky and sweaty.

If you buy a $5 poncho at a dollar store, you will get a glorified trash bag that will turn into an instant sauna. Mine is from a hiking/camping store. I use it when I hike (when umbrellas are not an option :) ) It folds down easily and stows in its own pocket. It has belt loops so you can go that route if you want. It's vented and it has a flocked lining to wick moisture away from your body. Most of the time I leave it in the room and just avoid the rain when the showers come, but for days when there are extended showers forecast, I wear it.

-dave

Upvote 0

MousDad

If you get a good poncho, it will not be hot and sticky and sweaty.

If you buy a $5 poncho at a dollar store, you will get a glorified trash bag that will turn into an instant sauna. Mine is from a hiking/camping store. I use it when I hike (when umbrellas are not an option :) ) It folds down easily and stows in its own pocket. It has belt loops so you can go that route if you want. It's vented and it has a flocked lining to wick moisture away from your body. Most of the time I leave it in the room and just avoid the rain when the showers come, but for days when there are extended showers forecast, I wear it.

-dave

what brand?

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I am one who wishes umbrellas were banned from the parks. Like strollers,wheelchairs and evcs...in the wrong hands they can all do serious damage to unsuspecting visitors. We usually bring along our old yellow ponchos from previous visits. We generally only bring them along if it looks like a serious chance of downpours all day long.

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Poncho for sure

I have never been poked in the eye with a poncho. :lookaroun

In a heavy rain, poncho all the way. You will be drier, warmer and not drench other people. In a crowd the poncho works much better! After a rain, shake it out, don't worry about folding it up properly, you'll probably be using it again. They are inexpensive (not disney models) and I don't have a problem getting rid of it when the vacation is over. PONCHO by all means:sohappy:

Upvote 0

MissM

Umbrella. Not even close.

Ponchos are hot. You can't easily take them on and off. So people wear them onto rides and leave wet seats for the next people. Plus, poncho people don't pay attention and they bump/brush into you getting you wet. Oh and ponchos smell horrible.

Love and I do an umbrella. It's an excuse to cuddle up together as well as a way of keeping dry. :D
-m

Upvote 0

girlface

:DNOT THE PONCHO...NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

lOL,MY MUM TRYED TO MAKE ME N MY SISTER WEAR ONE AND I TOTALLY REFUSED! FASHION CRIME FER SURE!! Lol. Umbrella always. Way cooler :)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I hesitate to mention this, but...

Most FL rainstorms also have lightning, and sometimes strong winds. Most mini umbrellas have a flimsy metal frame. I've seen too many folding umbrellas turned inside out, and remember an airline employee getting hit by lightning while carrying an umbrella.

Not that you can't still be hit while wearing a poncho, but I prefer to limit my attractiveness...at least to lightning. ;)

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

Both. The ponchos are great for the long, drizzly rains. Umbrellas are better for quick showers. And in the really hard downpours, I usually end up using both - the poncho keeps the bulk of me dry but the umbrella keeps the rain out of my face so I can see to keep moving. That way I don't have to camp out under a store awning like the rest of the masses....

Upvote 0

Phonedave

what brand?

Campmor's house brand.

Campmor is a big camping supply place in this area. Think REI before it became super chain commerical place. They also do internet sales.

www.campmor.com

They change their lines all the time

any of the ones on this page

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___61304__61294

are breathable rain jackets.

Mine is sort of a pull over type style. Not quite a poncho, but not quite a jacket with a zip front either.

Just don't get a parka if you plan on wearing it in the FL heat :D

While on the topic of using outdoor gear in WDW, these waterproof bags, called Aloksac

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___76430__

work wonders. I stick my cell phone, cash, and room keys in them while swimming. Never had one leak on me.

-dave

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Most FL rainstorms also have lightning, and sometimes strong winds. Most mini umbrellas have a flimsy metal frame. I've seen too many folding umbrellas turned inside out, and remember an airline employee getting hit by lightning while carrying an umbrella.

Not that you can't still be hit while wearing a poncho, but I prefer to limit my attractiveness...at least to lightning. ;)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks about things like this. :lol: We always use a poncho and wear crocs or flip flops on rainy days so that they will dry faster.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

Ahhh yes, the infinite wisdom of The Mom. :D Excellent points, hadn't thought about that. I can understand using an umbrella if you are sitting on a bench maybe (I still probably wouldn't bother)...but I just don't understand the people walking through crowds with them....

And yes, ponchos are more disposable, but I try to re-use mine. Not from a financial point of view (as you can get them for very cheap) but an environmental one. All you need to do is take a plastic shopping bag, ball it up and stick it in there. That way you aren't getting other things in your bag wet, you aren't throwing away a huge amount of plastic after ONE use and you are re-using a shopping bag. Seems like win-win-win to me. :lol:

Upvote 0

hansel1

My wife and I go to walmart and buy the .99 ponchos in the camping section. We carry these in a pack while in the parks. We use them to sit on or wear. They are cheap enough to throw out when you are done or you could cram them into a ziplock bag.

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

personally, I would rather use an umbrella, and the small ones generally have a little rope on them so you can just loop it through a beltloop on your pants if you have one.

Ponchos are a pain, to have to take them off when you go inside, and put them on when you go out, not to mention they make you hot and sticky and they smell after a couple of hours of sweatiness lol.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom