Time for the war to begin.

raven

[QUOTE="Big Phil, post: 8100989, member: 67710”]Quick, name a ride from opening day at Universal Florida that is still there. All I can think of is E.T. Hey look, great ride, I love it, but how many opening day rides are still there at WDW...[/QUOTE]
Quick, name a ride from opening day at Epcot that’s still in its original form. All I can think of is Living with the Land. ;)

Universal is putting out a new attraction or even park (VB) every year, compared to 2 years with Disney. And with 4 parks compared to Universal’s 2 parks it seems Disney needs to move a bit faster. Universal has been generating a lot of buzz over recent years with their additions, even though some are better than others. But they also keep their secrets under wrap much longer than Disney does. I supposed Disney is just trying to drum up enthusiasm for their additions but they always seem to take 4 or 5 years to build after they announce them. Universal can build theirs in under 2 years.

Each company attracts different types of people. It’s infair to say that Universal attracts mostly teens and adult because with the addition of HP they are seeing a lot of younger kids now. I just think Universal has more for those teens and adults that enjoy feeling a little more grown up.

Disney will probably never do a Horror Nights event because it’s not their aim. And Universal will probably never try a princess themed franchise because that isn’t their aim either. Each are great at what they do and I think competition just pushes each to do something even better than before.

NelleBelle

I’m confused (or apparently really dumb with current events, despite trying to stay update with the ever-changing world we now live in 🙄) but can someone clue me into what politics Disney is taking sides in? Totally serious question — no snark intended 🙃

NelleBelle

My 60 day fastpass window was today managed to get everything we wanted including 3 separate days for avatar but couldn't get ONE TSMM fastpass over a 2 week period?? anyone know why?
Are you talking about the modification of the Red Head in Pirates? It's really not that big of a deal.

Also Right and Left are delusional perspectives at least in The United States of America, Right (Republicans) and Left (Democrats) are now both for Big corporations and War, and for evidence just look who's been nominated for both categories for the last decade.
To hadn’t thought of the POTC Red Head as political (more PC) but could see how that falls into “Politics.”

Goofyernmost

I’m confused (or apparently really dumb with current events, despite trying to stay update with the ever-changing world we now live in 🙄) but can someone clue me into what politics Disney is taking sides in? Totally serious question — no snark intended 🙃
I'm not sure exactly in what context that statement was made and I think that only the poster knows exactly what they were intending by it. Perhaps they will come back on and explain. Otherwise... I got nothing! At least nothing that solidly points to anything. The only thing that I can even start to suspect is the rumor that Disney is withholding the promised bonus from union members if they don't agree to the most recent offer. That indeed sounds a lot like the current political atmosphere and leadership.

JusticeDisney

I don’t get why it has to be one without the other. Both are awesome, just in different ways. Every trip we take, my family stays on property at WDW. We do that because, in our opinion, there is a certain “feel” about WDW that we love and that US will simply never be able to match. And that’s why we want to go to sleep every night and wake up every morning at WDW. At the same time, however, we hit the parks at US every single trip. US has some attractions that are simply phenomenal. I can’t figure out why everyone wouldn’t hit both places during every visit. In short, WDW will always be king to me, but I also have a great love and respect for US.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, that's coming from someone who thinks:
  • that by owning more networks, Comcast can put out more advertising then Disney, as if that's how TV ads work;
  • that Uni is currently in an idealistic state of perfect parkiness;
  • that SWL in DHS won't be such a big deal because the one in Anaheim is coming out a few months ahead of it (neverminding it will be unique with its SW Resort);
  • that the one-time tiny drop in numbers for the MK last year can be characterized as WDW losing numbers overall year after year (despite the large attendance increase this past quarter); and,
  • that the rise in Uni's numbers will overtake WDW's numbers despite that WDW is adding to their parks as much new stuff as Uni is.

So, who knows that 'politics' they're talking about. Both parks a gay-friendly. Both are family friendly (discounting Uni's anabashedly gory HHN, which is an evangelical's nightmare). WDW went ahead with treating the current president the same way as the previous presidents with the HoP.

NelleBelle

• that by owning more networks, Comcast can put out more advertising then Disney, as if that's how TV ads work;
  • that SWL in DHS won't be such a big deal because the one in Anaheim is coming out a few months ahead of it (neverminding it will be unique with its SW Resort);
  • that the one-time tiny drop in numbers for the MK last year can be characterized as WDW losing numbers overall year after year (despite the large attendance increase this past quarter); and,
  • that the rise in Uni's numbers will overtake WDW's numbers despite that WDW is adding to their parks as much new stuff as Uni is.

So, who knows that 'politics' they're talking about. Both parks a gay-friendly. Both are family friendly (discounting Uni's anabashedly gory HHN, which is an evangelical's nightmare). WDW went ahead with treating the current president the same way as the previous presidents with the HoP.
Thanks for giving me some "insight" into the "politics"! I bolded your statement at the bottom of your comment because that's exactly how I've always thought of both parks and why I was confused re. how disney was being political. But your post, and a few pp have helped "clear" things up a bit--thanks!! :joyfull:

cheezbat

I am not saying you should not have to put the pedal to the metal at all times. You should never relax. Any Atlanta Falcons fan could tell you that. That being said, we all thought Disney was going to be taken over after the Harry Potter additions right? As it stands now the Magic Kingdom literally has double the attendance on a yearly basis as either of the Universal Parks. Disney Hollywood Studios had higher attendance even. Right now I think things are pretty safe, don't you?

It will take a lot of charm for Universal to pull that sort of David vs. Goliath upset off. What they have to stop doing is ripping out their core for things. I like how they take chances but they got rid of Jaws, which is the epitome of classic Universal. The park has only been open since 1990. They have to find ways to keep nostalgia alive. No one does that like Disney and I am afraid no one ever will by the looks of it.
Don't completely believe the numbers. I've heard Universal Studios Florida most likely had more guests than DHS...and I'm sure both Uni parks could outdo DHS and DAK pretty soon. Pandora is beautiful, but Disney needs to keep investing in the parks to keep their attendance up.

nitstalker

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers! Ok, let me break it down for you:

Speaking from experience working in the advertising industry since the 90's - producing content for cable and broadcast - Yes - owning more networks does give them an edge - but also Comcast gets to insert commercials on just about every non-broadcast network (for subscribers on their platform). Not all inventory is sold - so they run their own promos in those spaces - and they allocate a percentage of inventory for their own promotions anyway.

Galaxy's edge would have been a much bigger deal had they say made their Anaheim expansion MCU instead of SW. If I was a SW fan wanting to go to SWL - I can go west for this price or go east for a higher price - which would I choose? As to the hotel? Well, yeah I will stay there at least one night myself - but knowing Disney the way we all know Disney - 95% of families won't be able to stay there because of what they are going to charge per night. Will it increase attendance - yes absolutely! But how many people is the question - and how many people will it pull from other parks?

Looking at US park numbers - Over the last 10 years, Disney has increased by 13.4 Million visitors, while Universal has increased by 17.9 Million visitors. So, is Disney increasing, sure! But the numbers show that Universal is increasing at a much higher rate than Disney. I understand that both parks are reinvesting at a similar rate - but Universal is getting a much bigger return. More new guests are saying, "Lets go to Universal" Will they overtake Disney overall? Nah I highly doubt that. They would shed off board members and change things up before that happened. But the numbers should be a wake up call.

As to politics? I won't get into them here, as this is not the forum for doing so,

Last edited by a moderator:

Walt Disney1955

Don't completely believe the numbers. I've heard Universal Studios Florida most likely had more guests than DHS...and I'm sure both Uni parks could outdo DHS and DAK pretty soon. Pandora is beautiful, but Disney needs to keep investing in the parks to keep their attendance up.

They are similar in numbers. But that's just the thing, Universal's two parks can't even surpass Disney's 4th best and draw half the amount of people as the best one (MK). This hasn't changed a whole lot, not even since Potter was added. Disney has that nostalgia factor and the history. When you can ride the same thing your grandparents rode then that's pretty hard to beat.

NelleBelle

My kids recently discovered that they really liked Universal on our last trip to Orlando in 2016. My then 13-yo DS realized the big roller coasters were "fun" and he lost his anxiety he held for years over riding anything other than BTMRR. But even though my kids loved discovering all the fun new rides at Uni. and are HUGE Potter fans (they thought Diagon Alley was the coolest and couldn't get enough Butter Beer--we did, however, draw the line at getting wands), they still loved coming back to the Disney parks. My kids grew up going to the WDW/DLR parks, so there definitely is that nostalgia and familiarity factor that is a huge factor that Universal will never have. We may switch where we stay "on-property" in the future (almost booked at Universal this upcoming trip, however, we wanted a condo "on-property" and Universal hasn't tapped into that market yet). But there will always be some days spent at WDW (at least for our family).

Walt Disney1955

To hadn’t thought of the POTC Red Head as political (more PC) but could see how that falls into “Politics.”

I would say that it is appeasing a much more...........umm.........."entitled" age range that they feel might make noise. This is never a good thing to bend to these people because it will never end. You can find a million things that can be deemed "offensive" at Disney because it is literally a fantasy land full of fiction. Pirates aren't polite, ghosts aren't friendly, women predominantly ironed at the turn of the century, not every President in American history is popular, etc. If Disney starts reacting every time someone is triggered then will we even recognize the place in 50 years?

Brian

I personally find Harry Potter to be a franchise devoid of long-term loyalty. For people to assume that Harry Potter will continue to draw in crowds for decades is quite foolish; especially since JK Rowling is not writing any more books.

Disneyhead'71

I personally find Harry Potter to be a franchise devoid of long-term loyalty. For people to assume that Harry Potter will continue to draw in crowds for decades is quite foolish; especially since JK Rowling is not writing any more books.
With 7 of the best selling books in the history of literature, Potter isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Tolkien hasn't written anything in quite a while, and the Lord of the Rings just commanded the highest price tag in lisencing history at $250 million.

Disneyhead'71

Harry Potter is cool and all, and certainly was popular. But is it truly timeless - like princesses? I don't know.

Universal should get Rowling to write another book...
She has The Crimes of Grindlewald coming out this Christmas with Jude Law playing a young Dumbledore. It should do at keeping the fans involved.

tumblr_ozjjazFRY81rkd2bio2_1280.gif

And Universal has a couple of other fairly popular IPs to work with.

nintendo-nx-mario-zelda-pokemon.png

No.1-Hello-Kitty.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom