Time for the war to begin.

bhg469

I personally find Harry Potter to be a franchise devoid of long-term loyalty. For people to assume that Harry Potter will continue to draw in crowds for decades is quite foolish; especially since JK Rowling is not writing any more books.
Im no potter fan but those additions have been the best additions to any theme park in the country so you're kind of wrong here. They did it in such a way that yes, the potter loyalists will be happy, but more importantly, non potter fans can enjoy it just as much.

I couldn't tell you one think about Rowling's books but I can tell you that there is stuff in every nook of diagon alley that just makes you respect the thought that went into the project. They have long term loyalty from me, riding fantastic attractions and wandering around in awe...

beertiki

We have APs for both Dis and Uni, my wife and daughter like Uni more than I do, but that's because they are Potter fans. Diagon Alley is the best themed land of all the theme parks. Every time we go, I am still impressed, and I really don't even know what I am looking at. The instant transformation as you walk around the brick wall is amazing, detail everywhere, I am sure a fan could spend hours exploring every corner. I watched the construction of Pandora, peered through and over the fence, I was really excited for it to open. Flight of Passage is amazing, the best ride I have ever been on, and the only ride I ever waited 90 minutes in the rain for, and it was worth it. But, the land as a whole, does not excite me. It is an amazing piece of art, but that's it. I watched the movie, so long ago that I don't remember it, but I have not even made an effort to watch it again. You would think that going to the park and riding the rides would make a person want to watch the movie again. We rode the river journey last June, and were not impressed, somehow scored a fast pass on our way to the park last week, and felt the same. If you compare the Navi shaman and the Kong AA, one looks about as good as a wiggly alien noodle could, and the other can almost make you think it's real. I could sit and watch Kong for 20 minutes, after one minute with the shaman, I would be tired of that song. What I will never understand is how Uni made two lands based on books and movies loved by millions, and Disney chose a movie that most people had forgotten.

Disneyhead'71

We have APs for both Dis and Uni, my wife and daughter like Uni more than I do, but that's because they are Potter fans. Diagon Alley is the best themed land of all the theme parks. Every time we go, I am still impressed, and I really don't even know what I am looking at. The instant transformation as you walk around the brick wall is amazing, detail everywhere, I am sure a fan could spend hours exploring every corner. I watched the construction of Pandora, peered through and over the fence, I was really excited for it to open. Flight of Passage is amazing, the best ride I have ever been on, and the only ride I ever waited 90 minutes in the rain for, and it was worth it. But, the land as a whole, does not excite me. It is an amazing piece of art, but that's it. I watched the movie, so long ago that I don't remember it, but I have not even made an effort to watch it again. You would think that going to the park and riding the rides would make a person want to watch the movie again. We rode the river journey last June, and were not impressed, somehow scored a fast pass on our way to the park last week, and felt the same. If you compare the Navi shaman and the Kong AA, one looks about as good as a wiggly alien noodle could, and the other can almost make you think it's real. I could sit and watch Kong for 20 minutes, after one minute with the shaman, I would be tired of that song. What I will never understand is how Uni made two lands based on books and movies loved by millions, and Disney chose a movie that most people had forgotten.
I even like the Witch Doctor and her Kong Chant in Kong's queue more than the Shaman.

Universal's%20Skull%20Island%20Witch%20Animatronic%20650x450.jpg

Pangoo

Well the best part about this war is all of us win ! More rides, attractions, and amenities to go around for everyone lol. Hey maybe if Universal starts aggressively expanding, it will take away some of the crazy crowds from WDW.

bhg469

People who say Potter is the best land have never been to TDS, SDL, or Pandora
In Orlando.. Yes.. Been to pandora, saw the plastic fish that spit at you and the fiberglass plants. Not even the same level. I'm sure Shanghai is nicer and Tokyo is nicer but I'm sure most people would be comparing things they've witnessed. Like Disneyland is better than the magic kingdom in many ways. I've been there, loved it would trade DL for MK any day of the week

EricsBiscuit

In Orlando.. Yes.. Been to pandora, saw the plastic fish that spit at you and the fiberglass plants. Not even the same level. I'm sure Shanghai is nicer and Tokyo is nicer but I'm sure most people would be comparing things they've witnessed. Like Disneyland is better than the magic kingdom in many ways. I've been there, loved it would trade DL for MK any day of the week
Yeah okay DL park is better than MK but I don't see how that pertains to this. And DA has plaster facades and faux marble that feels like vinyl. EFG is screens, too short, not thrilling enough. It's just not very good. FoP is an incredible E ticket and NRJ an amazing C ticket. Also, Africa has amazing theming. So does Asia. DA is far from the best in Orlando.

Disneyhead'71

Yeah okay DL park is better than MK but I don't see how that pertains to this. And DA has plaster facades and faux marble that feels like vinyl. EFG is screens, too short, not thrilling enough. It's just not very good. FoP is an incredible E ticket and NRJ an amazing C ticket. Also, Africa has amazing theming. So does Asia. DA is far from the best in Orlando.
You complain about faux marble and then praise plastic alien plants that look like they came straight from the set of the 1960s Star Trek TV show. Then complain that EFG is all screens and then praise FoP.

EricsBiscuit

You complain about faux marble and then praise plastic alien plants that look like they came straight from the set of the 1960s Star Trek TV show. Then complain that EFG is all screens and then praise FoP.
they are far more convincing because you can't touch the plants on NRJ. The plants outside are mostly out of touch aside from the giant squirter. FoP is a simulator. EFG is a roller coaster? Dark ride? It doesn't find the happy median. It fails at thrilling and being a dark ride. Worst of both worlds. Mummy is the best hybrid followed by SDMT.

bhg469

All I know is that if you exclude the rides at Wizarding world (which are still fantastic) you still have a half day of exploring shops, alleys, train stations, and restaurants at wizarding world. Then you have Hogwarts express which is a ride but isn't a ride and its the most brilliant way to go from park to park imaginable. I mean gondolas are super futuristic and all but...

Goofyernmost

All I know is that if you exclude the rides at Wizarding world (which are still fantastic) you still have a half day of exploring shops, alleys, train stations, and restaurants at wizarding world. Then you have Hogwarts express which is a ride but isn't a ride and its the most brilliant way to go from park to park imaginable. I mean gondolas are super futuristic and all but...
Can't say I can argue with that. That train is absolutely incredible.

bhg469

Can't say I can argue with that. That train is absolutely incredible.
It has its flaws, but the windows to the hallway are just an incredible touch and when it comes to engineering a solution for transportation, I don't think it could ever be beat. I feel like it doesn't get enough credit for being both useful and a brilliant way to upsell both parks. I mean Disney hasn't even really mastered that.. Yes most people buy a park hopper but Plenty of people just go to MK. Could you imagine if there was a land that blended 2 parks and you sort of had to go see them both?

Goofyernmost

It has its flaws, but the windows to the hallway are just an incredible touch and when it comes to engineering a solution for transportation, I don't think it could ever be beat. I feel like it doesn't get enough credit for being both useful and a brilliant way to upsell both parks. I mean Disney hasn't even really mastered that.. Yes most people buy a park hopper but Plenty of people just go to MK. Could you imagine if there was a land that blended 2 parks and you sort of had to go see them both?
If it had some flaws they were nothing I noticed, however, if you are talking about Harry Potter story line, then that could be. I have not seen one HP movie or even read an HP book so names characters and locations mean nothing at all to me, but, i do know I was fascinated by the whole thing both directions. Outside windows and thought that the hallway windows were a great touch.

bhg469

If it had some flaws they were nothing I noticed, however, if you are talking about Harry Potter story line, then that could be. I have not seen one HP movie or even read an HP book so names characters and locations mean nothing at all to me, but, i do know I was fascinated by the whole thing both directions. Outside windows and thought that the hallway windows were a great touch.
The 2 biggest flaws to me are the backwards train which is nearly impossible to fix, and the Hermione voice is really off. But that's extremely nitpicky.

The hallway windows are just nothing short of brilliant. I truly pity people that do not give that park a chance

Goofyernmost

The 2 biggest flaws to me are the backwards train which is nearly impossible to fix, and the Hermione voice is really off. But that's extremely nitpicky.

The hallway windows are just nothing short of brilliant. I truly pity people that do not give that park a chance
Yes, but, it's only backwards in one direction and once inside you are not aware of it anyway. I wouldn't know about Hermione voice so I'll take your word for it. The stations on either end were impressive even to the point of having people in the interior playing music like street musicians would do in a real station. The whole thing just blew me away and that is without any knowledge of the HP series at all. And you are right. There are so many missing out on an unbelievable experience.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The sets on 1960's Star Trek look better, And don't forget the rattan arts and crafts projects...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The train is an incredible attraction in and of itself and using it as transit between HP locales is brilliant and the use of screens actually enhances the experience because they are used with detailed physical sets as placemaking tools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom