Time for the war to begin.

Darth Figment

This is silly. Theyve done more for the theme park industry in the past decade than Disney has done in 20 years and according to some insiders, they're far from done. I guess you don't enjoy nice things.
I enjoy nice thing, I just prefer disney world . Universal has done amazing things . I like the way disney treats me as a guest over the way universal does. There are certain things I like better at disney than universal . Universal has more thrill rides , but I like the classics at disney just a bit more.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I enjoy nice thing, I just prefer disney world . Universal has done amazing things . I like the way disney treats me as a guest over the way universal does. There are certain things I like better at disney than universal . Universal has more thrill rides , but I like the classics at disney just a bit more. I guess if you could afford the private tours , and any hotel other than the art of animation economy hotel you would get it .
You might not have been there recently, but, the customer service at Uni, made just a couple years back, made Disney's CM's seem like they were on Quaalude's. The were helpful, friendly and actively asked if they could help with information. I stopped once to just glance at the park map and a custodian came up and asked if he could help me find something. I spoke with him, he directed me and we chatted for a short time. I never had to find them, they found me. By contrast, the CM's at Disney spent their time looking the other way, chatting amongst themselves or looking at their phones. It may be different now, but, Uni's "TM's" really seemed excited about the parks and really wanted to help. Things change over time and after going to Uni for years on my Disney trips, the whole attitude seemed to change and pride was showing through. This may come back with SWL and the massive upgrading that is happening now, but, all the CM's at WDW seemed to be bored and depressed by comparison.

Darth Figment

You might not have been there recently, but, the customer service at Uni, made just a couple years back, made Disney's CM's seem like they were on Quaalude's. The were helpful, friendly and actively asked if they could help with information. I stopped once to just glance at the park map and a custodian came up and asked if he could help me find something. I spoke with him, he directed me and we chatted for a short time. I never had to find them, they found me. By contrast, the CM's at Disney spent their time looking the other way, chatting amongst themselves or looking at their phones. It may be different now, but, Uni's "TM's" really seemed excited about the parks and really wanted to help. Things change over time and after going to Uni for years on my Disney trips, the whole attitude seemed to change and pride was showing through. This may come back with SWL and the massive upgrading that is happening now, but, all the CM's at WDW seemed to be bored and depressed by comparison.
MIGHT be worth checking out ...... someday

Daveeeeed

As someone who doesnt give a hoot about potter, those additions are world class. Disney still hasn't out done diagon alley. And in terms of IP, mario is bigger than Luke skywalker in may parts of the world. If @marni1971 says big things are coming, then I definitely believe that. What I havent gotten from him is who has the more interesting future plans.
I'd argue that Cars Land and DLP's Frontierland are superior to Diagon Alley, but it's 100% personal opinion in what you want to find in a land. What makes it for me though are the rides at CL & FL vs. Gringotts. Though for Orlando, Pandora and Africa are awesome, I definitely agree that Diagon is superior to them both. Nonetheless, they are all outstanding lands with genius theming. Disney at least has historically been far superior in keeping true to a park's mission statement. Epcot is going away from that (World's Fair), but to me, it still seems like it will be a World's Fair, just a 'Disney' version (which I am hesitant to say but I am okay as long as Imagination retains Figment & IPs always fit their country like Ratatouille).

I think Disney is still ahead with 4 parks and the level of theming throughout plus better rides as a whole, but if Universal can stop making screen rides to just say "Hey look! We just added a new ride this year" (which seems to be happening), then Universal can truly compete with WDW. It's already happening for shorter trips, or to take off a day of a longer trip, but Uni has been trying to catch up, which it has done well. Now, WDW will need to A. expand to stay on a similar playing field, or B. go all out and squash Universal back into being the second tier resort. They've done A., so Disney will continue doing just fine, but B. has a real possibility of happening if Disney doesn't move quickly or at least frequently update rides, do new seasonal overlays, and have solid plans for the mid-2020's until Disney most certainly opens a 5th gate in the 2030's. if Disney stays true to doing what Disney does best: making original rides IPs in themselves along with placing IPs where they actually fit, Disney will not fall behind Uni in our lifetimes. That's what Disney has always done and they have been on top of Uni for the entirety of its existence. I hope they don't lose sight of that.

Last edited:

bhg469

If the CMs hired to work galaxy's edge are half as into their jobs as the TMs in the wizarding world, it will make a huge difference. Those workers are what I remember Disney used to be.

bhg469

I enjoy nice thing, I just prefer disney world . Universal has done amazing things . I like the way disney treats me as a guest over the way universal does. There are certain things I like better at disney than universal . Universal has more thrill rides , but I like the classics at disney just a bit more.
Universal has done a 180 in terms of guest satisfaction in recent years. And I would not say Disney has tanked in the area but they certainly aren't as good as they used to be. You're missing out for sure.

Daveeeeed

Universal has done a 180 in terms of guest satisfaction in recent years. And I would not say Disney has tanked in the area but they certainly aren't as good as they used to be. You're missing out for sure.
Definitely true, but as a whole, comparing the resort side by side I still think Disney has kinder employees. That's at least in my experience.
I think in order to truly be at a level playing field, Uni needs better quick-service food and more table service options. Disney is not the best (Cosmic Ray's *cough cough*), but that would go a looooong way. Uni already has an edge with Express pass I feel. I just hope they have some sort of monorail for their 'separate' resort. That's the only way it will ever feel connected.

Dunston

Universal is planning a park that will be in the running for best in the world (They appear to be on an IP buying spree). Plop that down next to the convention center with a CityWalk 2.0 that has a full blown version of Wicked, a 4 star "Golf Channel" Resort with a state of the art course, 4 more resorts and, of course, another water park. Throw in the Cirque and DreamWorks resorts coming to the former wet n wild land and the 10 or so Es & Ds coming to the existing parks and were getting somewhere.

And that is just phase one.

Universal is grooving on their own thing.
I'm assuming this new land will be using that iron man patent they've kept up their sleeves...

This kind of competition is best for the consumer, because both parks will fight to become better and are backed by two enormous entertainment companies that aren't going anywhere.

EricsBiscuit

I hate the service at Uni hotels. I have stayed at Portofino twice in the last two years and each time the room wasn't ready until after 4:00pm and the service at the front desk was poor. Last May, for my dad's birthday we got 2 rooms right? So they "upgrade" us to two rooms at the top level overlooking the harbor. When we got to the rooms, one was a giant living room like thing with no bed it's hilarious now but wasn't so funny at the time.

gorilla1964

I agree Disney should build many more new things but not to compete with themselves just to have more for people to do. I believe Disney owns a major share of universal so they are not in competition they are one in the same.

bhg469

Definitely true, but as a whole, comparing the resort side by side I still think Disney has kinder employees. That's at least in my experience.
I think in order to truly be at a level playing field, Uni needs better quick-service food and more table service options. Disney is not the best (Cosmic Ray's *cough cough*), but that would go a looooong way. Uni already has an edge with Express pass I feel. I just hope they have some sort of monorail for their 'separate' resort. That's the only way it will ever feel connected.
The biggest problem with universal quick service is that the best spots are all in Springfield. I still love mythos though. I have yet to have an in park meal that good. Hotel restaurants, that's another story. City walk has been better than downtown Disney for a long time but Disney springs is definitely upping their game.

Goofyernmost

I agree Disney should build many more new things but not to compete with themselves just to have more for people to do. I believe Disney owns a major share of universal so they are not in competition they are one in the same.
Do you have a source for that last statement, cause I don't think they do have any share of Universal.

UpAllNight

I’m excited by the prospect of major Universal expansion but they have some work to do in my eyes to prove they can deliver big projects without the help of Warner Bros. In regards to the new park being in contention for best park in the world, let’s calm down and remember Kong was meant to be up there for greatest attraction, and Volcano Bay as a revolutionary, unbeatable waterpark.

I think they’re going to need some extra capacity when they have an additional 4000 hotel rooms on site (potentially an extra, what 12 to 16000 on site at any one time?) Cant begin to imagine how slammed VB will be for a start.

Daveeeeed

The biggest problem with universal quick service is that the best spots are all in Springfield. I still love mythos though. I have yet to have an in park meal that good. Hotel restaurants, that's another story. City walk has been better than downtown Disney for a long time but Disney springs is definitely upping their game.
Springfield's food court is disgusting. I haven't eaten at Mythos, but WDW's Tiffins and Disneyland's Cathay Circle are superb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom