Time for a new MK e-ticket?

WDWfan2209

As all of you know that right now Disneyland's Space Mountain is having a MAJOR REFURBISHMENT. New track, cars, soundtrck, special fx, the whole thing. After the Disneyland brithday celebration is over, Walt Disney World, mainly the magic kingdom, will get some MAJOR REHABS. <COUGH>SPACE MOUNTAIN<COUGH> Then Disneyland will recieve new attractions! That is the plan at least for now. Can't wait to see what attractions will be rehabed at MK!

PeterAlt

Originally posted by twistedmickey
There is no need to change Space Mountain as it was the first one built in any Disney Park. And those 70's Pirates, as you call them, seem to be doing really well still bringing in the crowds. There is a word which you should look up.... History. Disney is full of it and there is no need to go now and change it. The Magic Kingdom is doing very well so please do not encourage Eisner or Imagineers to change a piece of history.

:brick:

(Steps off sopabox)

No, I don't want to see classics changed. I would like to see them updated... big difference. If AA's could move about with more realism, then install the new AA's. If the sound could be delivered crisper, then install a new sound system. Follow?

I've seen what the newer AA's could do. They've demoed some in the DL version of Pirates. When you see the Auctioneer moving about in fluidly and compare it to the one here moving chopily, you would see what I mean. Updating does not mean changes to a successful ride, but simply making it better... kind of like going from anolog to digital.

Lennyg512

The type of new attraction that Disney needs, is something like "The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman" that is at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Disney could make the plot from their movies and send guests through an adventure with their favorite characters.

HMFan

Originally posted by Lennyg512
The type of new attraction that Disney needs, is something like "The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman" that is at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Disney could make the plot from their movies and send guests through an adventure with their favorite characters.
Technically Disney already has this type of attraction, less the 3D aspect of course, take a look at Indy or Dinosaur.

cloudboy

No, I don't want to see classics changed. I would like to see them updated... big difference. If AA's could move about with more realism, then install the new AA's. If the sound could be delivered crisper, then install a new sound system. Follow?

Realism does not equal character, and that is something some of the new Disney rides have been lacking lately. I certainly am not fooled into thinking that there is actually a person being dunked into the well. The whole point to some of those old rides is that they were pretend. And once you get into the trap of hyper-realism, as soon as you loose the slightest bit of belief the whole thing goes out the window.

Change because something needs fixing or can be made better. Don't change just for changes sake.

Shaman

Originally posted by Bill
Okay. I am monitoring this thread. Just can't really say much.

So, instead, I will give you the possibilities.

First the 20k Subs lagoon.

WDI has been working on this project for the longest time, and it looks like we're finally going to see something. The question is, what will win out? There are 5 possible solutions that WDI is considering:

1. Drain the lagoon & build a nice little walkway to Toontown to relieve congestion in the area. No new attractions, possibly a few shops.

2. Theme the lagoon into the Little Mermaid.

3. Drain the Lagoon for MK's next land, which has been determined to be a Villain Land. Here you would find a main pathway that would connect to Toon Town, but would also have many rides, & stores. One of these is Bald Mountain. Sadly, this idea seems to come to a dead end.

4. Drain the lagoon & build a Hyperion style theater

5. The Harry Potter Attraction.

That's what I know WDI is considering for the site, and anything else you've heard is most likely wrong.

As for Fire Mountain, I believe that project is dead. Not to say it will never happen, but not in the next 10 years. :)

Out of all those ideas I like number THREE the most...its about time the villains get a land, and I can't think of a better place than MK....

Number FOUR doesn't fit in the area...especially since PhilharMagic is already themed like a theater....

They need something less kiddie and more family oriented in this area of the park...and something more than just a path to toon town...

Just some thoughts.

mickhyperion

Originally posted by Bill
1. Drain the lagoon & build a nice little walkway to Toontown to relieve congestion in the area. No new attractions, possibly a few shops.

I think Option 1 is the most likely to happen. And it could add some much needed Fantasyland theming to the back section that might be really cool.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by HMFan
Doesn't matter, they don't own the theme park rights, "yet". They have even opened Harry Potter attractions at WB Movie World. And WB still has the movie right also.

You're not understanding me! :D WB has the rights to the movie, while Disney has the rights to make attractions based on the books. I think... :lookaroun

Expo_Seeker40

As far as Space Mountain in WDW goes. I like the way it is. Yea go figure I'm a preservationist. I don't mind updates. This is the original space mountain. Why can't money be spent still on making sure the cars, track, and whole system is working properly.

Then make sure the effetcs or archiecture in the pre and post show are up to par. Again it's more like what was said here previously" improving sound, lights, and quality". I think the paris version is fine for paris, but I despise the look of something so crazy as the space mountain in disneyland, thought i'm sure the ride will be a blast .

Like I said before, moat people could care less about the pre and post shows. It's us nitpickers that really care. The majority just care about the ride. If you have a good quality and upkept ride, with an upkept pre and post show, but with that "radical" 70s architecture, then you have yourself a nicely themed ride. It doesn't at all have to be another jules vern "thing".

Why do these Imagineers have such a problem with making tomorrowland look so drastic. I don't mind too much what happened in WDW, but at DL it was a HUGE change.

So what...we have to go back centuries to see how the future was seen, yet we can't keep or restore atleast the architecture of what was seen as futuristic when the parks originally opened? In the magic kingdom, I don't see why the architecture, and SOME of the rides have to be seen to keep up with the future. I think that should be left for Epcot.

HMFan

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
You're not understanding me! :D WB has the rights to the movie, while Disney has the rights to make attractions based on the books. I think... :lookaroun
I am understanding, but WB still has the rights on both movies and theme parks.

PeterAlt

Re: F-ticket

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Would Philharmagic qualify as an "F-ticket"?

Well, the quality (or lack thereof) of the animation is very "F-ticket" in my book.

I think that "because" the Magic Kingdom is the "number one" most visited park as you say - WDW is focusing on other parks to spread out the guest population - and appeal to a wider audience.

But it has been a long time and I'd like to see something in the "E" class over in the old 20,000 lagoon area.

And if you think about it, MK is still saturated in "E" material that the other parks, even with their great "E" attractions, still don't have as many as the MK. So in that sense their delay is almost - dare I say - justified.

Timekeeper

Hey, I happen to have liked Mickey's Philharmagic!

PeterAlt

Did you know that this type of attraction was supposed to be built at WDW, but laid-off Imagineers took the ideas with them when they were hired for Universal. Because Universal beat Disney at their own creation, Disney decided not to built it as it would appear they would be copying Universal, while the truth is the other way around!

HMFan

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Did you know that this type of attraction was supposed to be built at WDW, but laid-off Imagineers took the ideas with them when they were hired for Universal. Because Universal beat Disney at their own creation, Disney decided not to built it as it would appear they would be copying Universal, while the truth is the other way around!
Just a rumor. I've heard the same thing about Dueling Dragons, the new Mummy attraction, Poseidon's Fury, Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens......

PeterAlt

Space Mountain is fine and does not need to change. It is one the best rides of Walt Disney World. Also, a Villians Land would be very good in the Magic Kingdom. It would appeal to an older audience.

Space Mountain is not "fine"! Are you crazy? The tracks have lost their smoothness. Safety still uses the 70's control system, which has aged quite a bit and is becoming UNSAFE! The lack of sponsorship leaves the ride without a preshow, having the feel of "something is missing" as you board the ride. The projections of chocolate chip cookies and the "stick-on" glow-in-the-dark stars on the track lacks the special effect sophication that we expect today. Also, it is only thrill ride left without an exit photo system... out of all the rides this one needs the photo system the most! I would love to see my party's expressions on their faces as they are screaming in total darkness!!!

They don't really have to add the sound system, but it would be cool. I just want a smooth modern track, better effects, a modern computer control safety system, and the photo exit system!

Expo_Seeker40

Peter I agree with you that the ride systems, effects, etc all need to be upgraded to today's standards. The ride needs it! The only thing I would like preserved is the overall architectual look of Space Mountain. Since we already have almost two architectually similar SM's in both disneyland paris and california, and I just think that the original should be kept (atleast for the exterior and some interior portions) the way it originally is.

As far as the 20k lagoon. I would support a new Submarine style attraction. The lagoon had gone into such disrepair though it may be impossible. I don't want a harry potter attraction because it is not "disneyish". And if they built a new mountain on the site of the lagoon, why has no one thought about how it will really alter the landscape. You would take pics of Cinderella Castle and that ginat thing would be right in the background. You would also have a ton of congestion over there, and everything from the mountain to toontown will be cramped.

Bill

Account Suspended
Perhaps you'd like to know that the rumors are true. WDI does work on Universal Attractions. Hence why those rumors are around. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom