Tiki Room Refurb

TROR

No... other people are getting new stuff too that just doesn't appeal to people like us. Back to my earlier point, which was in regards to marketing, there are more segmented projects going on in the park now too which cater to different audiences as Disney now has far more data about their consumers and tries to create experiences for all of them.

We may not like these things, but go out there on social media and get a pulse on what the overall crowd they're targeting with projects like Pixar Pier or these dress up like princess deals for adult women, and you'll see that people are loving them.

Why are you arguing this? That's quite exactly what Hans said.

There's literally nothing they've done in Anaheim over the past 3 years that I find worthwhile.

New stuff is being added to the parks. We don't like it. It's not very difficult to understand.

Besides, I've made it clear I don't care what the masses think. The masses are stupid and boring.

dweezil78

Why are you arguing this? That's quite exactly what Hans said.

I'm not arguing anything -- I'm simply making the point that we are still getting new things, that nothing has changed pacing-wise -- the only difference is that that there is more stuff catered towards more people in addition to the projects we like too.

The fact that you feel you need to like everything and think of the rest of the world around you as stupid and boring is a pretty self-centered attitude and a pretty lousy trait to have as a human being.

Curious Constance

Not everyone is stupid and boring, but Disney has chosen to cater to people that are, or at least are emotionally stunted. That's not good for anyone in the long run. We could get really deep if we wanted, but slowly, piece by piece, society is dumbing down everywhere you look. That's creating lots of lousy traits in human beings period. Not any one thing is a huge deal in and of itself, and we can say, "Hey, it's just a theme park." But in the long run, it's just one more thing your kids won't be able to enjoy in the same way you could as a child, and it won't be a plus for them. Do you want your kids living in the Buy N Large world? Because that's exactly what Disney is helping to create.

GiveMeTheMusic

No... other people are getting new stuff too that just doesn't appeal to people like us. Back to my earlier point, which was in regards to marketing, there are more segmented projects going on in the park now too which cater to different audiences as Disney now has far more data about their consumers and tries to create experiences for all of them.

We may not like these things, but go out there on social media and get a pulse on what the overall crowd they're targeting with projects like Pixar Pier or these dress up like princess deals for adult women, and you'll see that people are loving them.

Not enough people are loving Pixar Pier to move that attendance needle.

Imagine being told to do something quick, throwing that garbage together, opening it in small pieces and then realizing it won't move the needle.

Cookie sales are up tho!

dweezil78

And by "people like us" do you mean theme park fans? If Disney isn't trying to cater to theme park fans at their theme park, isn't that odd?

No, it’s not odd. Ask yourself this... if you were top brass at Disney, who would you rather cater to? People who absolutely love and embrace all aspects of your brand and are downright fanatical about it to the point where it maybe makes people uncomfortable... or a bunch of hyper-critical ‘theme park fans’ who argue on a message board all day who think the company has gone downhill since 1967?

Also, I never said they stopped catering to us... just that they are doing things also aimed at other groups too that are of less interest to us.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Imagine being told to do something quick, throwing that garbage together, opening it in small pieces and then realizing it won't move the needle.

Cookie sales are up tho!

Not defending the quality or merits of any one project— that’s a totally different conversation. I’m defending Disney doing projects with other audiences in mind (and how large and significant these audiences are) while still putting larger projects out there that do appeal to the hardcore theme park base like us.

GiveMeTheMusic

Not defending the quality or merits of any one project— that’s a totally different conversation. I’m defending Disney doing projects with other audiences in mind (and how large and significant these audiences are) while still putting larger projects out there that do appeal to the hardcore theme park base like us.

I get your point, but the bigger issue is that there is no need to pander to idiots. Only cynical execs who think lowly of their guests' intelligence would think that Pixar Pier would be a runaway success. Not everything is a huge project, but small projects can be done well and still retain Disney quality.

Pixar Pier would be more successful at WDW. At DLR, ya gotta aim higher. GOTG and Pier, regardless of their merits or lack thereof, haven't improved DCA's fortunes at all. That makes them failures, and it should cause those in Burbank and TDA to reassess their strategy.

Don't worry though, it won't

dweezil78

I get your point, but the bigger issue is that there is no need to pander to idiots. Only cynical execs who think lowly of their guests' intelligence would think that Pixar Pier would be a runaway success. Not everything is a huge project, but small projects can be done well and still retain Disney quality.

Pixar Pier would be more successful at WDW. At DLR, ya gotta aim higher. GOTG and Pier, regardless of their merits or lack thereof, haven't improved DCA's fortunes at all. That makes them failures, and it should cause those in Burbank and TDA to reassess their strategy.

Don't worry though, it won't

Totally agree with you on the need to maintain quality. It's always disappointing when Disney misses the mark. I don't necessarily agree that they're pandering to idiots though...

SSG

Cookie sales are up tho!
And it seems obvious--not even in hindsight, but from the announcement--that this wouldn't move the needle. I'd love to know what metrics Disney uses to decide on something like Pixar Pier that so clearly lacks pulling power.

D

Deleted member 107043

We are getting new stuff, though. That's not what Hans is complaining about. The problem is the new stuff is all garbage.

That isn't exactly my point - I don't think GoTG is garbage for example. In short what I'm saying is, while acknowledging Disney is doing bang up job keeping it's fan base enthralled, very little of what they are doing, at least in Anaheim, is exciting to me.

D

Deleted member 107043

3 years? Jeeze, I think we've been perhaps been a bit spoiled with so much new development over the last decade or so to expect new stuff to hit at such a rapid pace, especially considering most new projects come at the expense of tearing down others these days. Do you forget about the 80s and 90s, post new-Fantasyland, when there'd be maybe a new single attraction every 5 years or so? And while Splash Mountain and Indy are great rides, they are certainly nothing of the size and magnitude of new entire land projects like Cars Land and SWL.

So are you suggesting that I should be grateful for Pixar Pier and Pixar Fest?

dweezil78

So are you suggesting that I should be grateful for Pixar Pier and Pixar Fest?

Quite the contrary... I'm saying even if you completely ignore junk like that, we're still getting huge projects like Cars Land and SW:GE along with smaller upgrades/plussing of the stuff we actually like on a similar pace to how we got new standalone attractions throughout the 80s and 90s.

D

Deleted member 107043

Quite the contrary... I'm saying even if you completely ignore junk like that, we're still getting huge projects like Cars Land and SW:GE along with smaller upgrades/plussing of the stuff we actually like on a similar pace to how we got new standalone attractions throughout the 80s and 90s.

SW:GE will be no doubt be an industry game-changer, but Cars Land opened 6 years ago, so I would hardly call that a recent addition.

In any case neither of those massive projects changes the fact that most everything else - which is a considerable, from Maxpass to IP saturation to skyrocketing ticket prices to paying cast members low wages, to literally handing the parks over to APs - has served to diminish my interest in visiting the place.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
SW:GE will be no doubt be an industry game-changer, but Cars Land opened 6 years ago, so I would hardly call that a recent addition.

In any case neither of those massive projects changes the fact that most everything else - which is a considerable, from Maxpass to IP saturation to skyrocketing ticket prices to paying cast members low wages, to literally handing the parks over to APs - has served to diminish my interest in visiting the place.

Sorry for the religious overtones, but....

You're have a crisis of faith with the House of Mouse. It might be time to step away and see if this is just Disney fatigue or a real crisis where you completely lost the faith and never get it back.

If stepping away doesn't appeal to you or you have completely lost the faith, then it might be time to adjust your thinking on Disney. Its like knowing how a magic trick is done, while its lost its wonder because its no longer magical, you can still appreciate the wonder and magic the trick brings to others.

mickEblu

Yup. Actually the TP2000 thing dates back to the mid 1990's on the usenet forums, and it stands for Theme Park 2000. Which sounds so incredibly corny now, but on a 28K dial up modem in 1996 it seemed pretty cool.

Lol. It’s not that bad. Well until you explain what it means. I would imagine that hearing Walt’s theme park was going to be called “Disneyland” (aka his last name with land attached to it) back in the 50’s would have made me roll my eyes. In hindsight, of course, it’s the perfect name for many reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom