Tiki Room Refurb

TP2000

.... said Imagineering intern McKayleigh Ross.

Congrats, you just nailed it! McKayleigh. As the kids say, I'm dead. McKayleigh, that's what I'm going to call every "Imagineer" that appears in all their happy-shiny-pukey PR videos where they show the 23 year old "Imagineers" working for pizza and beer money as they pretend to talk about color palettes and clumsy details for the corporate cameras.

Here's McKayleigh and her friends Shannon and Hunter and Madisyn working hard in the field and pretending that Hunter didn't sleep with Madisyn last weekend after they shared an Uber home from the bar. And then that dorky office manager Ryan who has to be at least 38 (Gag! I hate Gen X!) shows up and kills the vibe because he's such a demanding boss who also picks up the bar tab for them.

Last edited:

TP2000

Why do the imagineers all sound like idiots now?

Don't you have to be really smart and creative for that job?

They are clearly very young people with very little life experience overall, much less prior Imagineering experience building rides and snack bars and new lands. The kids in that video above would have been in high school when Cars Land was being designed and created in 2008-10, and would have been in college when Shanghai Disneyland was under construction in 2014.

So this is their first real work gig, and instead of talking like a seasoned professional they can only talk about how honored they are to have the job and how they watched Disney Channel growing up, as if that's a prerequisite. The compare/contrast to a Walt-era video of this type like the 1965 World of Color episode where Walt led the TV camera through an obviously staged WED set but talked to seasoned Imagineers as if they were real people is shocking and glaring.

It also doesn't help that these kids are trying really hard to be PC and upbeat for the corporate cameras, which you can't blame them for. But it all just comes off as canned and artificial and rather insipid. It would be better if the cameras found these kids at the bar on Friday night to get their real personalities on camera, but then that whole Hunter/Madisyn scandal kind of ruined the bar scene for everybody.

Phroobar

I miss the days when Imagineers wore lab coats like they were scientists or something. Graphic artists and project managers are NOT imagineers. Graphic artist just come up with signs for the land. Project managers only hold meetings for updates and relay the status of the project to executives. These people know nothing about mechanical engineering and ride design.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They are clearly very young people with very little life experience overall, much less prior Imagineering experience building rides and snack bars and new lands. The kids in that video above would have been in high school when Cars Land was being designed and created in 2008-10, and would have been in college when Shanghai Disneyland was under construction in 2014.

So this is their first real work gig, and instead of talking like a seasoned professional they can only talk about how honored they are to have the job and how they watched Disney Channel growing up, as if that's a prerequisite. The compare/contrast to a Walt-era video of this type like the 1965 World of Color episode where Walt led the TV camera through an obviously staged WED set but talked to seasoned Imagineers as if they were real people is shocking and glaring.

It also doesn't help that these kids are trying really hard to be PC and upbeat for the corporate cameras, which you can't blame them for. But it all just comes off as canned and artificial and rather insipid. It would be better if the cameras found these kids at the bar on Friday night to get their real personalities on camera, but then that whole Hunter/Madisyn scandal kind of ruined the bar scene for everybody.

Just wondering if its been considered that Disney is putting younger Imagineers on these projects since they are trying to push these projects on the younger generations. So in essence instead of the perceived old stuffy career Imagineers they want a younger face and attitude associated with the projects.

dweezil78

It also doesn't help that these kids are trying really hard to be PC and upbeat for the corporate cameras, which you can't blame them for. But it all just comes off as canned and artificial and rather insipid.

Psssst... got a little secret for ya... come closer so I can whisper it in your ear... IT'S NOT MEANT FOR US!

These things are meant for the mid-America soccer moms (no offense to any mid-America soccer moms on here) who spend their day obsessing over every last FP, dinner reservation, spa treatment, and every other detail of their 5th trip to WDW this year. A little advice to all of you, when you have a few free minutes of spare time on your hand -- go visit the WDW Trip Planning or WDW Dining forums on this here site. You will see just how very very different the vibe and mentality of other Disney fans can be and it'll help you understand that not all content is aimed at us (so very little of it really is).

shortstop

I miss the days when Imagineers wore lab coats like they were scientists or something. Graphic artists and project managers are NOT imagineers. Graphic artist just come up with signs for the land. Project managers only hold meetings for updates and relay the status of the project to executives. These people know nothing about mechanical engineering and ride design.
That seems a little harsh. As far as I’m concerned, anyone at WDI is an imagineer. Graphic design is inherently essential for a project, and many WDI Project Managers are engineers or architects themselves. Just because the end product isn’t good doesn’t mean the roles aren’t necessary, IMO.

VJ

That seems a little harsh. As far as I’m concerned, anyone at WDI is an imagineer. Graphic design is inherently essential for a project, and many WDI Project Managers are engineers or architects themselves. Just because the end product isn’t good doesn’t mean the roles aren’t necessary, IMO.
Pfft. If you weren't breathed on by Walt Disney himself you aren't an Imagineer! You're just a fake! A fluke! Unfit to wear the exalted title of Imagineer!

shortstop

Ah yes. We used to use that word to describe people that came up with brilliance such as The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain. Now it's people responsible for the latest Frozen thing or Pixar Pier. It's not the same.
Yeah it’s different. But I see it as a title. As with any job, there are some good ones and some not so good ones.

TROR

If we let soccer moms rule Disney parks then before you know it they'll be free of any peanut food items because Lil' Johnny's allergic and he's more important than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 107043

These things are meant for the mid-America soccer moms (no offense to any mid-America soccer moms on here) who spend their day obsessing over every last FP, dinner reservation, spa treatment, and every other detail of their 5th trip to WDW this year.

I think you might be on to something. I increasingly feel alienated by Disney Parks, and maybe it's because the core demographic they're targeting is not mine.

dweezil78

I think you might be on to something. I increasingly feel alienated by Disney Parks, and maybe it's because the core demographic they're targeting is not mine.

But that's the thing... Disney doesn't have a "core demographic" though. They are so massive and the marketing is heavily segmented. Not just demographics but psychographics and behavioral too based on the insane amount of data they collect and they have access to via targeting technology that'd melt your brain. All businesses today, especially ginormous corporations like Disney, spend big $$$ segmenting like this and coming up with specific content that appeals to a wide variety of specific targets.

But here's the catch -- Disney fans are also ridiculously rabid and consume everything they can find out there... and things get shared, and content aimed at one group is easily accessible by other groups who then pick it apart and don't understand why it ever got made in the first place.

Taking a trip to WDW in particular is a very eye opening experience. You see just how many different groups are there intersecting with one another, having totally different types of trips and wanting such vastly different experiences.

To put it in perspective... seeing large families like these all with matching custom shirts is not just common out there, but it's actually almost the norm! I'm starting to see this trend infiltrate DLR too, but not nearly at the same scale as of yet. So case in point, we are a bit caught up in our own little bubble on this forum. :) For a brief moment, wonder to yourself if any of the things we like would appeal to these folks... and vice-versa. Things start to make a bit more sense.

IMG_6043.JPG

Krista_pictures.jpg

DSCN5389_thumb%25255B16%25255D.jpg

DISNEY_PHOTO.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

To put it in perspective... seeing large families like these all with matching custom shirts is not just common out there, but it's actually almost the norm! I'm starting to see this trend infiltrate DLR too, but not nearly at the same scale as of yet. So case in point, we are a bit caught up in our own little bubble on this forum. :) For a brief moment, wonder to yourself if any of the things we like would appeal to these folks... and vice-versa. Things start to make a bit more sense.

IMG_6043.JPG

Krista_pictures.jpg

DISNEY_PHOTO.jpg

What a very valid point!

But looking at those photos, I'm most struck by...

I'm a big 'ol white guy. My first name is Thor, for Odin's sake. I'm an upper-middle class Lutheran. Really as WASPy as they get. And my family is full of white people. But somehow I don't think we are as middle-America white-bread white as these nice folks seem to be.

Maybe it's the Dad's On Vacation Shorts, next to the Mom's Still Cute Shorts, and all the Fun Sneakers With No-Show Socks and the Matching Personalized Vacation T-Shirts That Mom And Aunt Barbara Obsessed Over For Three Weeks. But my God, those people are WHITE!

They make me look like the 4th Supreme in comparison. :cool:

46fb3da2e7d6ef61d9c591ffc4d01769.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But that's the thing... Disney doesn't have a "core demographic" though. They are so massive and the marketing is heavily segmented. Not just demographics but psychographics and behavioral too based on the insane amount of data they collect and they have access to via targeting technology that'd melt your brain. All businesses today, especially ginormous corporations like Disney, spend big $$$ segmenting like this and coming up with specific content that appeals to a wide variety of specific targets.

But here's the catch -- Disney fans are also ridiculously rabid and consume everything they can find out there... and things get shared, and content aimed at one group is easily accessible by other groups who then pick it apart and don't understand why it ever got made in the first place.

Taking a trip to WDW in particular is a very eye opening experience. You see just how many different groups are there intersecting with one another, having totally different types of trips and wanting such vastly different experiences.

IMG_6043.JPG

Krista_pictures.jpg

DISNEY_PHOTO.jpg

That would mean that Disney actually is collecting data to actually L I S T E N to their customers!?!. But But But, I thought Disney was skewing their data purposely so they could get the outcome they wanted without regard to the guest experience...... ;):p:cool:

Big Data Analytics, which Disney has been using for years now, dissects all that Magic Band and Disney Parks Apps information that is being collected to give up to the second information on guests. Which they use to make critical business decisions. Or did everyone really think they just made that stuff to make the guests lives easier. I can't tell you how I know it but I do, take all the computers for all the users on WDWMagic and all the servers that run WDWMagic, now multiply it by 100 and it still wouldn't come close to the computing power that Disney has at its fingertips to analyze guest information.

Phroobar

What? They have gay days. What do you want? Gay months? ;)
I see a lot of red shirts on those days. It's not much different.

Phroobar

What a very valid point!

But looking at those photos, I'm most struck by...

I'm a big 'ol white guy. My first name is Thor, for Odin's sake. I'm an upper-middle class Lutheran. Really as WASPy as they get. And my family is full of white people. But somehow I don't think we are as middle-America white-bread white as these nice folks seem to be.

Maybe it's the Dad's On Vacation Shorts, next to the Mom's Still Cute Shorts, and all the Fun Sneakers With No-Show Socks and the Matching Personalized Vacation T-Shirts That Mom And Aunt Barbara Obsessed Over For Three Weeks. But my God, those people are WHITE!

They make me look like the 4th Supreme in comparison. :cool:
Mainly because of the crowds, we've decided to axe the idea of going to WDW next March. There just isn't that much different that we haven't already seen done better at Disneyland. We decided to do rent a beach house in Baja Mexico for a week instead. It's closer and should be a lot more fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom