Tiki Room needs some refurb

Stormhammer22

Original Poster
Hey all,

I'm currently at the tail end of my trip to the "House of the Mouse" and noticed while I was at the Magic Kingdom yesterday that the Tiki Room needs to have some refurb done on it soon. Almost half of the Tiki gods were not working, some of the ones who sing were not moving their lips, and some of the drumming ones were not moving their arms.

Pioneer Hall

By refurb I hope you mean redone....

But anyway, with an attraction that really doesn't bring in the crowds, it tends to be overlooked. It's unfortunate that a classic has gotten the treatment the tiki birds have gotten.

DisneyMusician2

It really is awful. I was there over Easter week this year, and it never even came close to being a quarter full during the two times I saw it (the second time was rather unwilling).

bgraham34

I actually enjoy the new show. I know I am in the minority but it is a great place to cool off and sit with a little music thrown in. I am not opposed to a new show at all either.

NORMNB8S

I don't mind the new show. We visit this attraction once per visit because it's fun and like the previous post said, it's out of the heat and a chance to sit down and cool off. I do rememebr the original show and it was a better show, but that doesn't make me hate the current one. I, too, would be open to the idea of a new show though.

SeaCastle

I can't see them going back to the original for one reason- capacity. Why have a 16 minute show when you can get more Guests through using five-six minute shows? It doesn't make sense from a put-through PoV.

I'm not justifying UNM...I find the attraction to be in poor taste. We skip it and don't miss it. At Disneyland, however, it's a different story. It's 16 minutes of WED-era theatrical bliss. Did it bore guests and instigate people leaving during the show? Of course, but doesn't the UNM show do that, too?

There were rumors flying that we may get that Stitch Tiki Room like the folks in Tokyo have. I'd like to save my opinion until I see it for myself, but I'd love to see the original back. (I believe tirian mentioned that at one point the Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress were to go down for refurb in time for the 40th, but not anymore.)

puntagordabob

I actually enjoy the new show. I know I am in the minority

Minority? Yes, that is correct! :) The UNM show brings me to tears, and they are not of joy either, Just Sayin! :)

I can't see them going back to the original for one reason- capacity. Why have a 16 minute show when you can get more Guests through using five-six minute shows?

The Disneyland show duration has been shortened by removing a couple lines of dialogue and completely removing the Offenbach number (I enjoy the offenbach number but also must admit that the song put me to sleep....removing it was an excellent choice on the part of the Imagineers!).

From what I understand, the Disneyland show since the shortening and with Dole's much more intense scrutiny of placing flames under Disney to keep the building and everything shiny & new, has been very well received over the long term.

I believe that TDO would be immensely wise to "emulate" TDA's success here....

NOW my Wish-List is a more complex answer. I believe whole heartedly that the BEST investment Disney could make (and this goes for the Country Bears too!) would be to UPDATE the technology behind the scenes in both attraction buildings to allow MULTIPLE shows to run in succession every day with the flip of a single button or even simply by a computer console.

Imagine the Tiki Room or the Country Bears having the capacity to run 10 different shows? Would it be costly? Yes.... but consider what the "world" would be like if people were wanting to catch this show at 9am and oh look at 1pm they have this verion running so we have to see that too??? Just as Clarification they would need to utilize most of the show elements in each show....but the flowers and birds do not have to say or sing the same songs or dialogue do they? Also having special hidden unique characters (sorta like how Iago and Zazu appear in the Tiki Room, or in the Country Bears where some characters seems to MOVE from one stage area to another) that would appear for certain shows is something they already do... consider that the UNM show already contains almost all the elements from the Tropical Serenade already. The REAL work is behind the scenes....but to the Guests it would be downright magical and entertaining.

The payback is elegant and simple all at the same time... it allows the attraction to remain classic & timeless while allowing for NEW show versions to be added to the rotation. How often can you please almost everyone at the same time? Granted the Tiki Room and the Country Bears are easy to adapt to this versus a Pirates or Haunted Mansion scenerio.

Also if McDonalds could switch their breakfast to lunch menus with a flip of a switch who knows maybe even SGE could be switched up at times to have a more sinister "Alien" as well during the evening perhaps?

Anyways, if a Disney Imagineer should want to grab this idea (although I cannot imagine that I would have ever thought of this first lol but you never know heh) you can claim it as yours.... :sohappy: but an Invitation to the 1st private showing of The Tropical Serenade would be VERY appreciated! :sohappy:

Thrill Seeker

I'd like to see it finally get changed. UNM is now outdated and not particularly good to begin with. I'd take the Tokyo one or the original back. Either would be better than what we have now...

Korfar

I actually enjoy the new show. I know I am in the minority but it is a great place to cool off and sit with a little music thrown in. I am not opposed to a new show at all either.

I don't remember the original show. The new one has been in place so long thats all I know. I haven't been to DL to see the older version. I like the new one. I would want to see all parts working properly though. Hopefully they get them fixed soon.

lightning509s

Just another example, among many, where Disney charges premium prices for a less-than premium experience. For what guests are paying, ALL attractions should be kept in the best possible condition irregardless. Just sayin'...

From what I understand, the Disneyland show since the shortening and with Dole's much more intense scrutiny of placing flames under Disney to keep the building and everything shiny & new, has been very well received over the long term.

Went to Disneyland for the 1st time in my life last week and unbelievably seeing the "original" show was one of my highlights from the trip. Brought back great memories, not to mention the difference in the care and maintenance of the attraction was night and day with MK. Of course this was the case across the park, but I digress. Nothing better than enjoying the show with a Dole Whip in hand either!

Batphobic

I'm with you. I like this show. I got a huge kick out of seeing things all around me moving that were built into the architecture.

puntagordabob

I like this show. I got a huge kick out of seeing things all around me moving that were built into the architecture.

For clarification, the birds (minus Iago & Zazu and the Godddess), flowers, totem poles, tiki drummers, etc were all from the original show...

If you liked these types of elements I imagine you would have really liked the Enchanted Fountain.

Here is an 1080 HD video of the show in two parts someone posted on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuUl-HRc1g&feature=related part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9TYOnHSug&feature=related part 2

aladdin2007

Anyone deep in the inside know of any hope for the tiki room? For the 40th or otherwise? It really needs to be redone in more ways than one. I agree follow Disneylands format.

yoyoflamingo

I'm not justifying UNM...I find the attraction to be in poor taste. We skip it and don't miss it. At Disneyland, however, it's a different story. It's 16 minutes of WED-era theatrical bliss. Did it bore guests and instigate people leaving during the show? Of course, but doesn't the UNM show do that, too?

What's interesting is that every time I go to Disneyland the show is nearly full and perhaps 2-3 people leave during the show. No more.

Also, if the attraction is longer, but better, and more people are entering the turnstiles, then perhaps the capacity would increase, despite the longer show...

Just some thoughts...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom