Tiki Room needs some refurb

SeanC

I say lose the Aladdin spinner to open up the plaza, then rework the entrance to Tiki Room to create a courtyard a la Disneyland, add the Totem preshow and incorporate Sunshine Terrace and make that home of the Dole Whip. Then rework the show, not exactly the original (keep that at DL) not UNM (crap) and not Stitch. Create an original new show without movie characters. I'm sure someone still knows how to write a fresh, magical, inspiring script. I know they never would but a show hosted by a Walt AA interacting with the birds would rock my world.

lcsrig

I visited Disneyland in March! I was in tears as I sang all the original songs (much to my DH dismay. LOL!)!!! The Enchanted Tiki Room is one thing I remember from my first trip to WDW in '75 when I was 3! It deserves to be the original version!! The line is DL was LONG!! There is never a line that I have seen in WDW in 8 years of visiting the magic!!
It was the first DL attraction to have Audio-animatronics!!!

RSoxNo1

This isn't the Tiki Room - the original attraction was bad enough, but Under New Management is even worse.

It doesn't need a refurb, it needs to be replaced with a stitch themed pin shop.

Magenta Panther

I never saw the original Tiki Show, aside from glimpses I saw of it on TV. I was "enchanted" by it, so when I visited WDW as a kid, that was the first thing I wanted to see, but it was closed for refurb. When I went back to WDW many years later, the "New Management" was in charge.

And I HATE it! What a lousy show! As I've posted elsewhere here, the Iago AA is hideous! Doesn't look like a parrot, much less like Iago. And the show is stupid. The mysticism I saw on TV was gone, replaced by lame schtick. Fooey.

IMO, the original show needs to be brought back, but pumped up bigtime. Make the thunderstorm REALLY vivid, add more talking flowers and singing birds and tiki gods. It could be awesome.

But at the very least, they should get rid of Iago!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I never saw the original Tiki Show, aside from glimpses I saw of it on TV. I was "enchanted" by it, so when I visited WDW as a kid, that was the first thing I wanted to see, but it was closed for refurb. When I went back to WDW many years later, the "New Management" was in charge.

And I HATE it! What a lousy show! As I've posted elsewhere here, the Iago AA is hideous! Doesn't look like a parrot, much less like Iago. And the show is stupid. The mysticism I saw on TV was gone, replaced by lame schtick. Fooey.

IMO, the original show needs to be brought back, but pumped up bigtime. Make the thunderstorm REALLY vivid, add more talking flowers and singing birds and tiki gods. It could be awesome.

But at the very least, they should get rid of Iago!
I also think that the way to go is an enhanced version of the original. Trim the runtime time down if throughput is a concern, but the original music, songs, and show, with updated AA and effects. I love the idea of a more vivid thunderstorm. That was such magic as a child, and for some reason that and the Tiki Gods really scared me (in a good way).

LudwigVonDrake

Hey all,

I'm currently at the tail end of my trip to the "House of the Mouse" and noticed while I was at the Magic Kingdom yesterday that the Tiki Room needs to have some refurb done on it soon. Almost half of the Tiki gods were not working, some of the ones who sing were not moving their lips, and some of the drumming ones were not moving their arms.

When I was visiting WDW in July I noticed that Jose and Fritz were covered with dust. Don't they dust the birds??? :shrug:

WEDwaydatamover

Hi all. This is my first posting, hope I'm doing it correctly. The "Under New Management" show really is an embarrassment. It might have been somewhat relevant back in 96' when there was a big push to make attractions more "hip" and "edgy" and by doing so dated the show not long after the macarena thankfully fell off the charts. I could be wrong but wasn't this script partially the brainchild of Imagineer Kevin Rafferty. The Stitches Great Escape Kevin Rafferty?

Magenta Panther

Hi all. This is my first posting, hope I'm doing it correctly. The "Under New Management" show really is an embarrassment. It might have been somewhat relevant back in 96' when there was a big push to make attractions more "hip" and "edgy" and by doing so dated the show not long after the macarena thankfully fell off the charts. I could be wrong but wasn't this script partially the brainchild of Imagineer Kevin Rafferty. The Stitches Great Escape Kevin Rafferty?

Oh ho, if that's true...well, that explains a lot.

gerryu21220

If they want to fix the Tiki Room, they need to expand it into a Dinner Show.

The Tiki Room was originally planned as a dinner show - well, more of a restaurant with "live" interactive Tiki birds and such. The idea was nixed because of privacy concerns over hidden microphones at each table for the bird operators to be able to hear guests and interact with them. Not sure if they had the show in the rafters as well at that point.

The restaurant idea lasted all the way through to the point where the show building/restaurant was actually built, but before the show elements were installed. That is why it is the only attraction with its own restrooms. They were required to have them for the restaurant.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they actually did follow through on the idea in general at Club 33, with some talking taxidermy on the walls chatting with guests - but was again nixed because of the hidden microphones and being able to hear (and/or record) private conversations.

disnyfan89

I think it would be great to bring back the original tiki room but with the music updated (same music just updated to feel more pop/current) and the script reworked. There is no reason why we can't have all the grandeur and majesty of the original show but with a more modern fun feel.

WEDwaydatamover

The Disneyland show really packs the crowds in. I wish WDW would bring back the original show for the 40th. Clean things up and really give it a red carpet treatment.

I would like to see the Tiki Goddess of Disaster take another role in Adventureland. Maybe in the closed Veranda restaurant with a relocated Adventurers Club dining show. I'm dreaming.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
For those of you who have noticed show problems, write to guest relations and let them know. If they realize that guests are noticing, more chance of it getting fixed. Don't go on a rant about bringing the old show back though, because your comments will get lost.

jt04

I think if they are neglecting the day to day care of the attraction it could mean a big refurb is on the way.

Hopefully Stitch is being added. :lookaroun

Wow, never said that before. :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think if they are neglecting the day to day care of the attraction it could mean a big refurb is on the way.

Hopefully Stitch is being added. :lookaroun

Wow, never said that before. :lol:

Unfortunately no plans for any change are a go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom