Ticketing/Entry System Crash

bUU

Or, as you have pointed out here, don't have a better answer to how to handle a situation like this than random guys on the internet that think they know how to run a park?
What I'm pointing out is how vapid and potentially dangerous it is when "random guys on the internet" go over the line from discussing what they like and don't like to claiming that their biased personal preferences are a more compelling indication of what should be done by a business than a business' professional expertise and research. There is a very big problem in this country with entitlement mentality - it infects everything - and the seed of it are these self-ratifying rationalizations for marginalizing or undercutting anything that one does not like. The now-infamous "childless millennials" rant is a great example of where the ping-ponging of that attitude could go, from a mature person to a less mature person to an even less mature person. What behaviors did this "angry mom" actually practice in the park, being that she harbored such attitudes? What kind of entitled conduct did she engage in justified in her mind by her rationalizations?

And how does the mechanics of this entitlement mentality manifest in the degradation of our guest experiences? Remember when they introduced PIN codes for room discounts? Why do you think they did that? The fingerprint scanners are of course another example.

Honestly what's sad about this to me is that the solution of just letting them in would have worked (and has in the past).
And maybe they'll do that again in the future, probably with better provisions for security than before. However, presuming that that was a requirement of the situation regardless of whatever circumstances precluded it this time is utterly without merit. Hate it - no problem. But leave it at hate.

I would think you could even photo the tickets and get them scanned in later when the system was back on so that they couldn't just save that ticket for another day (if that was such a large concern).
That's the very first good idea any of you have posted in this thread. It would have taken some doing to get prepared for it, so it probably still would have evoked the same vapid vitriol from those clinging to their irrational arguments, but at least you're thinking more broadly than just the impact on guests.

bUU

You do realize that this is a fan site, and that nobody making "suggestions" on this topic actually believe they are making recommendations that Disney will read and follow?
Let's see how many other posters publicly agree with you about this.

bUU

Super. I'll make note of all 7 of you and be sure to craft my replies in the future around your acknowledgment that you are just a "random person on the Internet hot-to-trot to incur risks onto the company without personal accountability for having made that decision" and therefore don't "actually believe they are making recommendations that Disney will read and follow".

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Super. I'll make note of all 7 of you and be sure to craft my replies in the future around your acknowledgment that you are just a "random person on the Internet hot-to-trot to incur risks onto the company without personal accountability for having made that decision" and therefore don't "actually believe they are making recommendations that Disney will read and follow".
Sounds good. You’ll note that each time you hand out another load of b#ll#cks, or will it be a cumulative report at the end of the quarter?

lazyboy97o

So no response to Disney’s experts once again incurring unacceptable risks onto the Company?

JustAFan

On Monday part of the ticketing system failed which resulted in only those with Magic Bands being able to gain entry to the parks and everyone else being trapped outside the gates! In around 2002 I was at the parks and the system wasn't working one day but they allowed us in the park with no fuss, is this yet another sign of poor customer service? As most people are using tickets that are going to expire anyway would it really cost Disney anything to have let these people into the park? Would they have spent more in the parks feeling Disney had treated them right and after all if they are stuck outside they are not spending and are not going to be in such a great mood when/if they did get in the park. In my view this was a total failure of Disney to have a backup plan or for on-site management to be empowered to make a decision to just let people in.
https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/2019/07/30/walt-disney-world-apologises-ticketing-debacle/
It's certainly not ideal to experience a system failure. I hope and imagine they've learned something from this, but I can't help but chuckle that people were "trapped outside the gates!" Um ... that's not exactly trapped. Momentarily inconvenienced? Yes. This is not 3rd class on the Titanic though.

And no, you would never "just let people in". Oh the chaos.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's certainly not ideal to experience a system failure. I hope and imagine they've learned something from this, but I can't help but chuckle that people were "trapped outside the gates!" Um ... that's not exactly trapped. Momentarily inconvenienced? Yes. This is not 3rd class on the Titanic though.

Oh no?
The MK was letting everyone in for morning EMH today without checking MagicBands. Apparently some sort of tech issue that prevented validation.

“Never” sure came fast.

JustAFan

Oh no?

“Never” sure came fast.
Hey. Whoa whoa whoa. I fully reserve the right to be blatantly wrong at least once a day.

Back to bed now.

So yeah ... I guess I assumed? This does surprise me though. Let people in with no validation? I wonder if that's really what happened or if they saw it incorrectly? Interesting.

drizgirl

Chaos? Just set your system so that every ticket presented at the turnstile is accepted. Most wouldn't even realize there had been a problem. People aren't hovering around the MK gates waiting for that one magic moment where an expired ticket can slip through.

ETA: Someone beat me to it. Turns out it the idea works just fine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So yeah ... I guess I assumed? This does surprise me though. Let people in with no validation? I wonder if that's really what happened or if they saw it incorrectly? Interesting.

People need to remember... this isn't like opening up the 7-11 on the corner. These are properties that are well set back... require anywhere from 20-45mins to get to the gate even from the edge of property... and are not accessible unless you've already committed to being there.

As such... you can be assured 100% of the people outside the gate, for at least an hour or so... are people that are there with prior plans on having/getting admission to the park. And even beyond that... how many people (who aren't AP holders anyway) can drop everything and get themselves to a WDW park on a moments notice... or would even feel compelled to... in say.. a few hour window? A few hundred? Even a few thousand? It's unlikely to be some hoard.

And even if it's a few thousand... so what? You've got them in your captive hold now where you will be extracting F&B and other sales from them... which is why you want people in the park to begin with. You're basically letting people in.. to do exactly what you are already staffed and built out to do.

You're basically letting people in.. to do.. exactly what your business is already setup to handle. So it's no big deal... you lost gate admission for some people... so what.

Compared to... the idea of ing off the customers that DID pay you... and making that big money making machine you have that you are paying for sitting idle.. or significantly under utilized. We call that 'penny wise, pound foolish'

Often, it's better to let some things slide to keep the larger machine humming. Same thing here.

lazyboy97o

Hey. Whoa whoa whoa. I fully reserve the right to be blatantly wrong at least once a day.

Back to bed now.

@lentesta watches such things as his job. This is also not something new. Not letting people in was the unusual behavior.

peter11435

Oh no?

“Never” sure came fast.
Pretty sure he was referring to not checking magic bands to identify resort guests. Not meaning they were letting guests in without tickets.

As I said earlier it depends what the specific problem is. There are numerous types of failures and all have different impacts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Pretty sure he was referring to not checking magic bands to identify resort guests. Not meaning they were letting guests in without tickets.

As I said earlier it depends what the specific problem is. There are numerous types of failures and all have different impacts.
You read that as the Magic Band was verifying admission but not EMH eligibility?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom