Ticket prices to increase AGAIN??

basas

I know Disney needs to increase it's ticket prices...but when you look at a 1995 guidebook and a one-day park pass was around $35, and now it is $67....it's pretty incredible. While the price has pretty well doubled in about 10 years, I highly doubt the majority of American incomes have. Then again...we were also only paying $5 for parking (which also has doubled). If things keep increasing at this rate, there eventually will be a point where the majority of people simply will not be able to afford it.

JimboJones123

Every price increase alienates a portion of the people who would visit Disney. Does this stop them from totally visiting WDW? Maybe some but not all. Instead of going 3 times a year, people may cut down to 1 once a year. And the people who go once a year, may go once every 2 or 3 years. However, sooner or later the middle class wil lbe excluded from the parks because, as prices increase, salaries stay stagnant, and middle class families will never be able to afford a trip to Disney. I love Disney, and I am fortune enought o afford to go every year, but I would also celebrate the day that Disney suffers because of their greed.[/quote]

I hate statements like this. It is, after all, YOUR GREED that is making you so upset, isn't it?

You are too greedy for your money. Deal with it. If you don't want to go, don't.

JimboJones123

I know Disney needs to increase it's ticket prices...but when you look at a 1995 guidebook and a one-day park pass was around $35, and now it is $67....it's pretty incredible. While the price has pretty well doubled in about 10 years, I highly doubt the majority of American incomes have. Then again...we were also only paying $5 for parking (which also has doubled). If things keep increasing at this rate, there eventually will be a point where the majority of people simply will not be able to afford it.
What about the 10 day hopper. I'm not sure there were 10 day passes then. Re-open the book and check that for us too.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

At which point prices will start to come down. Its called market forces.

We are not the United Soviet States of America. The USA's backbone is the free market system (although in certain areas, our government is doing its best to wreck it...).

JimboJones123

If "record" numbers in the parks aren't proving the point that the parks could afford an even larger price increase, I don't know what does. I would gladly pay $20 more for a ticket not to be packed in the park and risk the park being closed when I get there for sure. We could soon see "Premium Dates" for ticket prices if this trend of "full" parks continues. It would be like the new plans at sporting events when more popular teams come to town, the prices go up 10-20%. The full parks are really starting to scare me and something must be done. This would make the product better.

basas

At which point prices will start to come down. Its called market forces.

We are not the United Soviet States of America. The USA's backbone is the free market system (although in certain areas, our government is doing its best to wreck it...).

I was trying to see Disney's current ticket prices (the 4 day/10 day, etc) to compare but, of course, their website is not working right now...

Anyway, you bring up an interesting point. Has Disney ever LOWERED ticket prices? I know (who was it...Cedar Fair?) did last year, but I don't recall Disney ever doing it (and I highly, highly doubt they ever will). I realize they can do whatever they want with regards to their prices, but I do think they're getting a little out of control. 10 years ago we also weren't charged $45 to view the Christmas festivities before the last week of December, or $40 to eat dinner in Cinderella's Castle.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I was trying to see Disney's current ticket prices (the 4 day/10 day, etc) to compare but, of course, their website is not working right now...

Anyway, you bring up an interesting point. Has Disney ever LOWERED ticket prices? I know (who was it...Cedar Fair?) did last year, but I don't recall Disney ever doing it (and I highly, highly doubt they ever will). I realize they can do whatever they want with regards to their prices, but I do think they're getting a little out of control. 10 years ago we also weren't charged $45 to view the Christmas festivities before the last week of December, or $40 to eat dinner in Cinderella's Castle.

Technically, their prices did go down for additional days on the Magic Your Way Multi Day Pass. The longer you stay, the cheaper it gets. That may not be a traditional price cut, but to be honest, I have not seen the entertainment/vacation industry as a whole slashing prices.

nibblesandbits

Technically, their prices did go down for additional days on the Magic Your Way Multi Day Pass. The longer you stay, the cheaper it gets. That may not be a traditional price cut, but to be honest, I have not seen the entertainment/vacation industry as a whole slashing prices.
True...

but to kind of play devil's advocate:

For most people it is hard to stay for a total of 10 days. So they buy the 10 day ticket because it's cheaper, but then they have to buy the no expiration with it, which then raises the price of a ticket considerably. Are you really getting a deal then?

JimboJones123

Yes, w/MYW, a 7 day park hopper used to be $329 two years ago, now it is around $250. Quite a big drop.

Complain all you want. Disney Tix are MUCH LESS if you STAY LONGER. There is a reason for that.

We didn't go to SW or Uni the past 4 trips just because of this. Why pay $250-300 for a day at SW when we could spend $54 dollars at WDW (1 day longer on the pass and another 50 for meals. $200-$250 is the cost of making a 6 day trip into a 10 day trip. We could have NEVER afforded the extra $900 that the 10 day would have cost us last year, but MYW let us.

I LOVE DISNEY PRICING. We did eat it 2 years ago buying 2 day hoppers (YIKES) but if we were smarter we would have bought no exp. the previous trip on our 7 day hoppers.

JimboJones123

True...

but to kind of play devil's advocate:

For most people it is hard to stay for a total of 10 days. So they buy the 10 day ticket because it's cheaper, but then they have to buy the no expiration with it, which then raises the price of a ticket considerably. Are you really getting a deal then?

$38 a day is still cheaper than the "best rate" of $44 on the old tix plan.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
And to add...

Disney usually isn't the one that "starts" the price war - It's Uni or SW...they typically raise prices and Disney "follows" (at least in the current past). :brick:

I don't see Disney raising prices for at least awhile. With the increase in Aug - I don't think they would really think about doing another raise less than 6 months since the previous one (talk about over kill:dazzle: ).

Plus all my travel agent literature from WDW Travel has all the current prices listed on everything for 2007. I don't think they would print all the literature up for 2007 - and then outdate it as of Jan 1 (that would be just cRAAAAzzy!).:p

JimboJones123

but that was with a PH included in that, right? Since Disney used to just include that. (Or am I losing my mind? I could be. :lol: ) Add the PH with it then what do you have?

Both of those prices were hopper prices. Non-hopper prices were MUCH MORE per day than now. instead of $4-5, they were anywhere from $8-15.

CBOMB

Yes, w/MYW, a 7 day park hopper used to be $329 two years ago, now it is around $250. Quite a big drop.

Complain all you want. Disney Tix are MUCH LESS if you STAY LONGER. There is a reason for that.

We didn't go to SW or Uni the past 4 trips just because of this. Why pay $250-300 for a day at SW when we could spend $54 dollars at WDW (1 day longer on the pass and another 50 for meals. $200-$250 is the cost of making a 6 day trip into a 10 day trip. We could have NEVER afforded the extra $900 that the 10 day would have cost us last year, but MYW let us.

I LOVE DISNEY PRICING. We did eat it 2 years ago buying 2 day hoppers (YIKES) but if we were smarter we would have bought no exp. the previous trip on our 7 day hoppers.
I have to agree with you, the longer you stay the cheaper the tickets get. It's just to bad your room rates, your food, and any merchandise you might purchase never get any cheaper.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's just to bad your room rates, .... never get any cheaper.

Not exactly true. My room rates are going to remain stable over the next 46 years. :D And, I can start eating more in my room if the budget gets too tight that I cant eat on property.

CBOMB

Stable rates, and cheaper rates have totally different meanings. Unless you take into account that a dollar in 2006 will buy more probably than a dollar in 2052. This is pure speculation on my part, but it seems to be a trend here that has gone on for the last few centuries. If you eat in your room, you'll have to sweep up your own crumbs wo'nt you?

Captain Chaos

Wow. That is a really closed minded statement. I think you are under the assumption that all the monies from ticket prices are pure profit. That is not the case. You comment is also insensitive to the 55,000 plus people that Disney employ's just in Orlando alone. When/if Disney starts suffering, a significant portion of those people will lose their jobs.

I hope you were not serious.....

I was really joking, so, no, I was not serious. Considering I go every year, even though there have been price increases, which I always expect and budget for. And as much as I love visiting Disney, I would never want them to go out of business and shut down. My comment was really sarcasm. People complaining about Disney raising prices usually bring up Disney being a symbol of corporate greed. I would gladly pay $100 for access to their parks, and if it ever gets that expensive, I would still go. So, to answer you, I was not serious. Sorry if I offended any Cast Members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom