Ticket prices to increase AGAIN??

Cliff

:lookaroun

I know, I know,...no,..I'm not trying to say that I have inside information on Disney finances. I'm just going on widely believed and accepted "facts". (or what is percieved to be anyway)

They are a public company so a certain amount of the finances are public record.

If my statement about the 6 US parks revinue being excellent....after ALL the overhead is paid,..is incorrect or "way off",...then sombody please correct me. (if you have factual knowledge against that)

That's all I'm trying to say about that.

CT :lookaroun :D

Enderikari

Love it..."irony" makes for the most enjoyable comedy.

Yup,..very true observation.

WDW - A sparsely populated park for the wealthy few?

:lol:

Right... because everyone who visits WDW is wealthy... (Sorry, that's TDL) WDW treads the fine line between what guests are willing to pay, versus becoming too crowded daily.

Blizz

I just like the shifty eyes... lol

I have seen first hand how Disney does business with itself and I can tell you it is really messed up, haha. After what I have seen it is hard to believe that the Parks and Resorts line of business would allow its money to be used by another line. Corporate Disney makes the bulk of its money licensing its intellectual property, not through Parks and Resorts (although they do push the products). The Parks and Resorts line of business does not make the bulk of its money from tickets. That is a common misconception; rather they make their money from merchandising and food. Hence the gift shop at every exit and a place to purchase food almost as close as the next trash can on the path. Look at Magic Kingdom, you can buy food and merchandise as soon as you enter, when you enter the main street loop area, main street, the branches of main street, the lands, the rides, more shops, more carts. In the bigger picture Disney relies more on you buying an ice cream and a t-shirt then they do you buying a park ticket (which is why after a handful of days on your MYW ticket it almost feels like you aren’t paying for some days. Because once they have that base amount, any extra is just that, extra.

The parks and resorts are like a theatrical release of a motion picture. The only reason a motion picture is released in a theatre is to promote the DVD sales and the sale of the merchandising that goes with the film. Cars is a prime example of Disney synergy in motion. The parks are the same. They parks promote the movies, television assets, characters, etc... that are later sold as merchandise with in turn makes more money and also works as advertising.

So in the long run, the bloated division would in my mind be the merchandising, licensing and distribution line of business.

Cliff

Point well taken and I agree.

When I use the blanket term "park revenue", I essentially refer to all Hotel, tickets, parking, merchandise and food sales bundled together. All the $$ that leaves guests hands while they are on Disney property. Is all this together "not" a huge revenue generator? (even after all the overhead is paid?)

Also,..in the company I work for, they justify departments charging big bucks to other departmens (internally) as: "At least the money is staying within the company".

Any way you slice it one thing is for certain today. The Disney assets known as WDW and DL are expensive to maintain, yes,....but they more than pay for themselves,..Much, MUCH more.

Anybody say this is wrong?

CT :veryconfu

Something else...if they raise ticket prices $1,..what does that translate into at the end of the year? Does MK have 1 million guests a year? If you add everything together at all parks, how much do ticket sales increase be the end of 2007? 5 or 10 million bucks?? That's not a big deal if you look at the entire WDW property budget. The PR hit makes the idea not worth it...maybe?

Used2BePluto

I just saw from discount orlando tickets that prices are set to increase yet again on 1/1/07. I couldnt find out how much they would go up but it just seems like they are increasing the price frequently. It is getting very hard to take a family of 6 there and I hope this trend does not continue!:(

Gee, could it be that the unions could be to blame for some of this? Of course, they will claim that Eisner is still to blame, since it is all about the haves and have-nots, right?

Orlando is one of the very few tourist centric places that the higher the gate price seems toequal a higher quality product, and well, as long as people from the "fly-over states" continue to save for years for their once in a lifetime trip, well, prices will still never be a serious problem. Who pays cash anymore anyways, why do you think Disney has so many credit card options?

As always, ruff ruff, gurr, gurr, have a bonederful night,
Mark, aka Used2BePluto because, well, duh...

rangerbob

I see everybody is not seeing what Busch parks has already done. For the I think 3rd time this year they have raised their prices. This took effect last week. Busch Gardens went up 7% and SeaWorld went up 5% I may have them wrong and it might be 10% & 7% for the parks. Disney is just matching their prices like they always do. Up until 3 years ago Disney was the first park that raised their prices but Busch parks stepped up and took over the trend. I knew once they announced the raised prices I knew that Disney and Universal wouldn't be that far behind. I guess Disney waited until after the Christmas rush to match.

Shaman

Not cool.

Disney parks opperate with great profit margins. I'm tired of Disney funding "other" areas of the company using park revenue.

Cut the fat and waste from other areas of the company, keep park prices down and reinvest a higher percentage of park revenue back into the parks. Using this formula will guarantee that the parks stay strong and they will remain being the backbone of the company.

I'm a BIG supporter of Disney segmenting it's business units and keeping them seperate.

Raising ticket prices is not always the answer. They just take the extra $$ and WASTE it in other areas.

CT :lookaroun

I agree. Things seem to be working now....but if the parks get hit with another sudden and unexpected group of slow years what's going to happen then?

P-3 FE

The other bad part about them raising their prices is that the CM do not get a raise with it. Imagine if they gave a raise to the CM every time they raised the ticket prices. The service would continue to get better and their turn over would shrink.
However as a former CM, that sadly does not happen. The CM continue to be paid a few sheckles while the top dogs are making a killing.
However, WDW knows that even if the tickets go up, everyone will still go.

Kind of takes me back to "Field of Dreams"... "If you build it, they will come".
Happy Holidays and Remember the Magic!!:xmas:

P-3 FE

Not anymore. I left the World as a CM about 6 years ago. Worked in Outdoor Foods at MK. My normal location was the ice cream stand which used to be under the Tommorowland Skyway. The stand moved to the other side closer to the Speedway. Also, sometimes I would be on a push cart up and down Main Street selling soft drinks. Once in a while, I would get in the middle of the 3pm parade-lots of fun!!!!
Most common question I received day in and day out..."What time is the 3 o'clock parade???"
Happy Holidays and Remember the Magic!!!:xmas:

JustPlainBill

I was feeling kind of stupid for buying my park tickets early last July for my vacation this coming June (over $875.00!) The Disney agent talked me into it, hinting about the possible price increases and that we'd save $ in the long run. If this is true that they're raising the prices again, I'm starting to think it was the right move after all.

JimboJones123

Anyone else notice the delicious irony of the two most active threads being about
A: Disney's Animal Kingdom closing to capactiy, albeit an artifical one
B: People complaining about ticket prices going up

Here's your missions... choose one...

Pay more for your ticket, and have less people in the park... The number of folks that are willing to pay. The lesser crowd is paid for via the higher ticket prices, and you are able to enjoy rides without as much of a wait as.....

Pay less for your ticket, say 40 dollars.... Every day at Disney is like Christmas... and not in that good way. People are packed stem to stern, barely able to move.... and attractions? Forgeddabout it.... even the TTA has a line.

I second this.

I would GLADLY pay $100 per day at Christmas Time to have Tuesday in September crowds. I wouldn't blink. I might even pay for a 3-day hopper for four for $1200 if it means a great trip and less crowds. Fact is it's too busy at some times in the year. It still isn't keeping guests away. Maybe this will. It can also be seen as quality of guest control.

It's been said before, WDW is a privlage not a right.

Cliff

Y'know,..I actually might favor a "supply vs. demand" concept of ticket pricing.

When demand is low...in the off season, ticket prices could also be very low to attract more people to the parks. When demand is very high, prices could be allot higher as well. (like in the peak summer season when kids are out of school)

Having fluxuating ticket prices might go a long way to evening out the crazy packed times vs. the "ghostown" times.

Disney could release a yearly calander of ticket prices. People could plan their vacations around how much they can afford.

I dunno,..just a thought. Maybe flat prices are not the best way to do it.

CT

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Having fluxuating ticket prices might go a long way to evening out the crazy packed times vs. the "ghostown" times.

I dont imagine that the cost of running the parks fluxuates that significantly throughout the year. About the only thing that I could see beeing affected by smaller crowds is support CMs. All the lights are still on reguardless of what time of year you visit. They still have to run power to all the buildings that are open reguardless of how many guests there are. They still have to run transportation, etc.

Cliff

I guess what I'm trying to say is;...if you could cut ticket prices during the slow season by 1/3 normal price,...and,..that attracted 1/3 more more people to the parks...then you break even. However, you now have more people inside the park that you normally would have in the slow season...and they spend more $$ when they are inside. = more profit for Disney.

Ticket prices are only part of the equasion. More people inside the parks means more consumption of goods and services on that end of the equasion.

More people inside = more money for Disney. Even if you attract them with lower ticket prices.

Yes / No?

CT

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I guess what I'm trying to say is;...if you could cut ticket prices during the slow season by 1/3 normal price,...and,..that attracted 1/3 more more people to the parks...then you break even. However, you now have more people inside the park that you normally would have in the slow season...and they spend more $$ when they are inside. = more profit for Disney.

Ticket prices are only part of the equasion. More people inside the parks means more consumption of goods and services on that end of the equasion.

More people inside = more money for Disney. Even if you attract them with lower ticket prices.

Yes / No?

CT
Yes and no. Like anything other businesses there is the possibility or reaching a point of diminishing returns. The operation of a park or any other business requires a minimum level of staff as well as power and water consumption etc. As attendance increases to certain levels staff and utilities will need to increase to accommodate. Depending on what those numbers are will determine whether profit will be made or not.

It would be theoretically possible to make more profit on the park at full price and half capacity then half price at full capacity.

Nicole

It seems like everything else is going up, why not ticket prices too? If it's just a couple percent a year that seems like normal inflation to me. If they don't do incremental increases every year or 2x/year, then when they do raise prices the shock will be that much greater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom