Ticket Price Increase

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I understand price increases, but not when there's nothing to justify it. .
Nothing to justify it? Have you noticed fuel and food prices? That's reason enough for gas stations and grocery stores to raise prices and since Disney cant create them out of pixie dust they have to adjust somewhere.

Scuttle

To me the $20.00 per AP is not that bad when you compair it to how much more it costs to fuel up at the gas station then it did a year ago. With all the busses Disney runs how much more do you think it costs them in fuel cost per week than it did a year ago?

I hate to bring it up, but when I think of this and see comments about this. One Disney fan can only think monorail expansion.

bjlc57

Year after year we react exactly like this when prices go up. We hope and hope
and hope some more that the increases will help reinvest the parks, but year after
year each one of us knows that it does not.

this is exactly what I have been saying for years, and getting ripped for it HERE..

raising price makes a new "equalibrium".. but when you raise price you lower demand and you lower people buying your product..

Disney is going to try and find that price where NO ONE WILL COME.. or it seems that they are on that course.. and every time they raise prices , they get one step closer to that point.

let me ask you this, did you get a 7% raise this year? Did you get any raise this year? or are you in effect, having to make due with much less, especially on a weekly basis at the gas pump?

there is NO GOOD REASON for this raise.. years ago, I stated this exact same thing, and was told that I should buy one less adult beverage at the park.. well now this is adding $50 -100 dollars to an average family trip.. who already is struggling to buy gas this year for their car..

there is a TIPPING POINT.. and Disney and the Bean counters, are getting one step closer..

NO ONE IS TOO BIG TO FAIL.. not even Disney..

bjlc57

the major reason that Brazillions can come to Disney, is that their gas is priced at less then a dollar, because they converted to sugar Beet ethanol.. and since there are so many less drivers in Brazil then there are here.. it was an easy conversion.. so the average person has more money to spend..

Brazilions do not buy OPEC Oil.. they don't have to..

alphac2005

Nothing to justify it? Have you noticed fuel and food prices? That's reason enough for gas stations and grocery stores to raise prices and since Disney cant create them out of pixie dust they have to adjust somewhere.

The problem lies where these increases have been non-stop and large, constantly year after year this past decade of a low inflationary period.

Having just returned with my family from a week at WDW and as a former nearly two decade AP passholder (and former Orlando resident), the decline at WDW is ever more noticeable. From the horrid Disney Parks branding to the homogenization of the dining establishments, merchandise selections, it's disheartening. I've never encountered so many rude cast members, ever. It was such a disappointment hearing cast members literally yelling at guests. This isn't to say that we didn't see some wonderful cast members, we did, but working at Disney has become just another 'job' for people and it really shows.

It's amusing how this thread does pop up year after year and nothing changes. I know, however, that my family is amongst many that I know who've cut back on the frequency of our WDW trips and for the people with the obnoxious money and class comments on here, it's not because of lack of money, it's because of what we're getting in return at WDW.

I feel that you are simply a dollar sign to the management of Team Disney Orlando. You aren't a guest, you're revenue. From countless burnt out light bulbs to all types of scenes not working in attractions (a week of the Rome scene out in SSE, the Country Bears are a disgrace--the audio is almost unable to be heard in spots), countless ride breakdowns, it was a disgrace.

The merchandise is the same nearly everywhere. They load the stores up with pins and Vinylmation, not much else. You don't see people buying loads of merchandise like you used to at WDW and it's obvious as to why. I can buy half the stuff they stock at Toys 'R Us or what they have is a generic Disney Parks piece of merchandise.

I'm sorry for the rant, but the discussion here really fits into what I saw last week. Disneyland fell to the depths of where WDW has been stuck in and they have turned Disneyland back into a beautiful, wonderful resort with the idea if you have quality, customers will come, and spend money.

Although some say that WDW is busier than it used to be at all times of the year, which I agree, it's taking them to discount dining, rooms, etc. to fill the place along with lousy merchandise offerings, the only way it seems that the place can continue to match prior revenue to keep increasing costs of everything absurdly while lowering quality. All Team Disney Orlando seems to care about is their revenue targets and it doesn't matter how they get there. Imagine if the prices weren't so outrageous or the offerings better? How much more revenue could be generated.

And one last point to the disgusting comments about "lower class people" on here. First of all, you see all types of people at WDW and I see a lot of so-called "high class" who have no-class. Secondly, if you lived in the real world, someone who care barely make ends meet can't afford WDW at $50 a ticket let alone $90 a ticket.

menamechris

Original Poster
Disney is going to try and find that price where NO ONE WILL COME.. or it seems that they are on that course.. and every time they raise prices , they get one step closer to that point.

I am certain that the Disney company has experts working for them whose sole job is to calculate how much they can raise prices. These are not thoughtless increases by some small business. They are extremely calculated and researched by probably an entire team of marketing and financial strategists. While I do not like to see the price increase, I understand it. What I do NOT like is where I suspect that extra money is going...

WDWFigment

As long as the theme parks continue to see high attendance, what business incentive does Disney have to stop increasing prices?

So many people here claim that Disney will reach its 'tipping point' and start to lose business. I've seen this argument for around the last 5 years. I'm sure it has been made since at least the 1990s. When is this tipping point going to be reached? Despite the economy being subpar at best, Disney still continues to do very well at the theme parks.

These increases aren't made arbitrarily or because Disney "gets greedy." They're calculated, researched, and supported by past precedent. I'm not at all thrilled about the condition of some attraction or the increases, but I'm not so crazy to say, "that was a really bad move, Disney." Personally, I may not like it, but when evaluating the decisions from a business perspective, the increases are undeniably justified.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
These increases aren't made arbitrarily or because Disney "gets greedy." They're calculated, researched, and supported by past precedent. I'm not at all thrilled about the condition of some attraction or the increases, but I'm not so crazy to say, "that was a really bad move, Disney." Personally, I may not like it, but when evaluating the decisions from a business perspective, the increases are undeniably justified.

Disney lives and breathes by guest surveys, and year after year, people doing those surveys indicate they think they had good value for their ticket. This tells Disney that it's OK to up the price. Until guest surveys indicate otherwise, they will keep rising.

Kamikaze

this is exactly what I have been saying for years, and getting ripped for it HERE..

raising price makes a new "equalibrium".. but when you raise price you lower demand and you lower people buying your product..

let me ask you this, did you get a 7% raise this year? Did you get any raise this year? or are you in effect, having to make due with much less, especially on a weekly basis at the gas pump?

there is NO GOOD REASON for this raise.. years ago, I stated this exact same thing, and was told that I should buy one less adult beverage at the park.. well now this is adding $50 -100 dollars to an average family trip.. who already is struggling to buy gas this year for their car..

there is a TIPPING POINT.. and Disney and the Bean counters, are getting one step closer..

And yet, the attendance still climbs. The reason? Everyone waits for discounts now. Disney raises the prices and then discounts off of them. "Oh, well, we should take little Jimmy to WDW, they are running Free Dining!" Are profits lower? Yes. But attendance still climbs. Will there eventually be a number where its too high and attendance goes down? Yes, I believe so. Are we there yet? No.

wizards8507

As long as the theme parks continue to see high attendance, what business incentive does Disney have to stop increasing prices?

So many people here claim that Disney will reach its 'tipping point' and start to lose business. I've seen this argument for around the last 5 years. I'm sure it has been made since at least the 1990s. When is this tipping point going to be reached? Despite the economy being subpar at best, Disney still continues to do very well at the theme parks.

Shhhhh! Common business sense has no place around here.

[/sarc]

Well said, Tom.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

the major reason that Brazillions can come to Disney, is that their gas is priced at less then a dollar, because they converted to sugar Beet ethanol.. and since there are so many less drivers in Brazil then there are here..

Brazilions do not buy OPEC Oil.. they don't have to..

Do you feel better after another weekly rant?

Well, first, you may have read that gas prices are actually starting to go down. Just letting you know.

Secondly, it appears that, for better or worse, attendance isn't exactly dropping enough to discourage any price increases. Indeed, it appears that not only from the ticket prices going up, but the park hours increasing (and even shows such as Fantasmic being performed more often) that Disney is anticipating a summer busier than the last.....

And what does the fact that Brazil have less drivers in their nation have to to with their traveling here? Other than that their tourist dollars are actually a boon to our economy?

bjlc57

Do you feel better after another weekly rant?

Well, first, you may have read that gas prices are actually starting to go down. Just letting you know.

Secondly, it appears that, for better or worse, attendance isn't exactly dropping enough to discourage any price increases. Indeed, it appears that not only from the ticket prices going up, but the park hours increasing (and even shows such as Fantasmic being performed more often) that Disney is anticipating a summer busier than the last.....

And what does the fact that Brazil have less drivers in their nation have to to with their traveling here? Other than that their tourist dollars are actually a boon to our economy?

it's the price of their gas, which I believe is under a US dollar per gallon.. when the price of oil was $20 or lower, during the Clinton administration, we had record profits, and record non war time growth.

its simple.. you make $300 per week.. if gas cost $2 per gallon.. and you need 20 gallons.. its $40.. now gas is close to if not over $4 a gallon and you are now paying $80.. with NO RAISE.. no extra income, and in fact, you may have loss of income.. say your spouse is laid off.. Suddenly that extra $40 per week times 52 weeks, its a ton of cash..

for the South Americans.. if you are paying less then a dollar per gallon.. say even 90 cents.. then every ten dollars you get an "extra gallon".. 11 for your 10.. or thereabouts.. meaning more spendable income.. stuff that you and I had 20 years ago that we do not enjoy now..

so yes.. it's not right for Disney to raise their price.. not 7%! no way.. because the average house hold income didn't rise 7%.. in fact it lost probably more then that..

again.. Walt's quote.. there will always be 10 cent coffee at DisneyLand.. meaning that the place will be for every one and not the rich.. and arrogant..

RSoxNo1

What these annual ticket price increases are doing is validating the in house belief that the Orlando theme park market is mature. With the yearly price increases it's eliminating certain guests that would return every 5 years simply because the price is substantially more than their previous visit.

While attendance is steadily increasing year after year, the small percentage of these increases are indicative of a mature market.

Unfortunately for the sake of the fans, Disney hasn't reached the point of no return for the tickets. However the value is becoming less and less appealing to many people. I would assume many people on this site will typically purchase more than a 1 day ticket, and as such they will get better value over the life of their investment. I constantly get questioned why I continue to return to the Disney parks (and how I can afford to do it), and it really comes down to the once a year expense of an annual pass.

The annual pass allows for long weekend trips at a reasonable price. Given that the people on this board are already hooked on Disney, we're still not likely going to visit any less. Where this is potentially hurting Disney is those families that don't go multiple times per year. They're going to lose those families that would go every 5 years. That may become every 7 or even every 10.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
it's the price of their gas, which I believe is under a US dollar per gallon.. when the price of oil was $20 or lower, during the Clinton administration, we had record profits, and record non war time growth.

its simple.. you make $300 per week.. if gas cost $2 per gallon.. and you need 20 gallons.. its $40.. now gas is close to if not over $4 a gallon and you are now paying $80.. with NO RAISE.. no extra income, and in fact, you may have loss of income.. say your spouse is laid off.. Suddenly that extra $40 per week times 52 weeks, its a ton of cash..

for the South Americans.. if you are paying less then a dollar per gallon.. say even 90 cents.. then every ten dollars you get an "extra gallon".. 11 for your 10.. or thereabouts.. meaning more spendable income.. stuff that you and I had 20 years ago that we do not enjoy now..

so yes.. it's not right for Disney to raise their price.. not 7%! no way.. because the average house hold income didn't rise 7%.. in fact it lost probably more then that..

again.. Walt's quote.. there will always be 10 cent coffee at DisneyLand.. meaning that the place will be for every one and not the rich.. and arrogant..

Honestly, I have no idea where you're coming from with this. You honestly believe that the price of gas in the Clinton Administration is a valid frame of reference in 2011?

Second, it sounds like you're not getting a raise, while others are, and those people are able to afford the rise (and now decrease) in the price of gas. Sorry for your troubles, but applying them to everyone else around here is just overhyped hyperbole.....

And again, if the Brazilians are coming here, their price of gas is only relevant in the regard that they can afford the trip. But that is only one of the myriad of factors in play.

And I'm sorry to say this but Walt is no longer with us, and the quote about $.10 coffee applied when coffee was only $.10 and a slice of apple pie was $.25. Doesn't really apply now. Sort of like your line about the rich and arrogant. But considering the source, neither is much of a surprise.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom