Ticket price increase / FP+ changes coming?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly, that's probably when I'm out. They sharpen their pencils. So do I.

Visiting the parks was marginally still "worth it" to me as a out of town tourist. Wholesale changes like this would certainly change my calculus of value.

In the past I'd say, just be sure you visit at a slow time. I've tried that. They reduce hours, reduce capacity and schedule special events. They won't tolerate lower than peak crowds. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate peak crowds without adequate FP access.
There’s also the possibility standby lines would move quicker. Like they used to do.

drizgirl

There’s also the possibility standby lines would move quicker. Like they used to do.
I get that and have considered it. But I don't think Disney will be able to resist selling as many FPs as they can. And if they are selling FPs, the standby line is still creeping along like it does now.

I guess the good news is that Small World might have a decently moving standby line again. I'm just not sure that's going to be enough for me to justify the price.

And how much is attendance up since 2013 when FP+ rolled out? Any advantage in removing FP+ as we know it might be lost just because there are so many more bodies there.

CJR

Say you reduce the level of free availability by half. Suddenly the FP has gone by 11am. Not taking into account the prebooking in Orlando.

An awful lot of spreadsheet and sharp pencil planning has gone into this. For quite a while.

Thanks for replying Martin!

I believe that too, I'm sure they've ran their numbers and if 11am is the target, that would be fine IMHO. As long as it's reasonable, I think it would be successful, it's when things happen that prevent it from being reasonable where I could see issues.

I feel the demand for SDD, MF:SR, MMRR, and RotR (should we count it?) specifically will be incredibly strong and could even "break the system" at park opening. Perhaps the issues with RotR is why I've lost a bit of confidence, maybe it'll be better with multiple attractions and mostly reliable attractions at that. Still, WDW guests are devoted to get what they want and will fight each other, figuratively speaking, to score that FP in the morning.

To be successful, especially long term, the new system will need reasonable ability to book FP's to these "top" rides. Once they're gone for the day, sales are likely to plunge downward each day. Especially if they follow California's system by allowing free use at kiosks, which will most certainly be popular for guests coming later in the day. Will they be doing that (free FPs at kiosks) though?

Speaking of later in the day, I could see more of the advanced bookings being later in they day. That would make sense as people using Max Pass will already be in the park that morning and would probably prefer an earlier time anyway. That'll be another interesting component to watch.

kong1802

I get that and have considered it. But I don't think Disney will be able to resist selling as many FPs as they can. And if they are selling FPs, the standby line is still creeping along like it does now.

I guess the good news is that Small World might have a decently moving standby line again. I'm just not sure that's going to be enough for me to justify the price.

And how much is attendance up since 2013 when FP+ rolled out? Any advantage in removing FP+ as we know it might be lost just because there are so many more bodies there.

They've proven with the parties what they are willing to do to make more money.

There is no way they don't still give out the same number of FP's, whether they are paid for or "free".

Hank Hill

I feel the demand for SDD, MF:SR, MMRR, and RotR (should we count it?) specifically will be incredibly strong and could even "break the system" at park opening. Perhaps the issues with RotR is why I've lost a bit of confidence, maybe it'll be better with multiple attractions and mostly reliable attractions at that. Still, WDW guests are devoted to get what they want and will fight each other, figuratively speaking, to score that FP in the morning.

I may be mistaken, but the article seemed to be saying you wouldn't get a max pass for all the rides, it would bundle certain things together. So you want thrills, you get these 5 rides and lunch ADR at this location. Or a BBB day, with these 5 rides and a princess makeover.

I'll wait to see what, if anything, changes before making an opinion. I am on the side that the current FP+ has made it worse for the average park goer and it didn't deliver the promised benefits to the company. Disney knows it. They will make some substantial changes when they can sell it like an upgrade and not taking away a perk to those that haven't been or don't go often.

Lirael

I wonder if they'll really risk completely removing any form of free FP+ at this point. Resort prices are ridiculously high already; but the excuse is that you get perks with it, and one of the few said perks (given they threw away free parking a few years ago) left was the 60 day FP+ window. Without that, the worth of resorts drop

kong1802

I wonder if they'll really risk completely removing any form of free FP+ at this point. Resort prices are ridiculously high already; but the excuse is that you get perks with it, and one of the few said perks (given they threw away free parking a few years ago) left was the 60 day FP+ window. Without that, the worth of resorts drop

That's true. They even have people paying just to pay more (club level FP).

Perhaps they go to resort only "free" FP's and anyone else good luck?

And by good luck I mean, pay more.

That $700/night room at the Grand is a steal now!

Touchdown

Club Level: Free Maxpass + Book 1 Tier 1 Ride a day
Deluxe: Book 1 Tier 1 ride, 2 Tier 2 a day
Moderate: Book 2 Tier 2 rides a day
Value/Partner Hotels: 1 Tier 2 ride per day

Lirael

That's true. They even have people paying just to pay more (club level FP).

Perhaps they go to resort only "free" FP's and anyone else good luck?

And by good luck I mean, pay more.

That $700/night room at the Grand is a steal now!

Giving the resort guests FP+ for 'free' depending on your resort level could be a way (as in, 1 FP+ a day for free for value, 2 for moderate etc) of trying to keep justifying their prices.

Edit: I'm not saying this would make the prices justifiable

kong1802

Giving the resort guests FP+ for 'free' depending on your resort level could be a way (as in, 1 FP+ a day for free for value, 2 for moderate etc) of trying to keep justifying their prices.

Edit: I'm not saying this would make the prices justifiable

I could definitely see this happening.

I do wonder how much of a hook FP is in hotel occupancy.

EMH was a perk, and a large one at that just a few years ago, and they had no problem trading those out for paid events while jacking up resort pricing.

bryanfze55

Things are getting very complex at WDW. There still isn’t a theme park in the country that can hold a candle to WDW in terms of quality, service, and theming, including Universal, but it’s obvious that the product is declining (tacky IP additions/grueling standby lines/too much pre-planning/upcharge evens in lieu of regular operating hours) while the cost is increasing. Things will only get more pricy if paid FP becomes a thing.

This fall will be the first time my family has gone to Orlando without going to WDW. We’ll be doing a three-day on-site stay at Legoland, visiting the Kennedy Space Center, and maybe even a couple days at Universal (never thought I’d say that voluntarily). It will be a nice, low stress vacation.

This was all decided before the price increases, but that just justifies the decision. WDW is just becoming too challenging logistically with young kids. Too much stress to maximize EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of your vacation... Disneyland is still great but not always in the budget for us.

kong1802

@marni1971

this may sound snarky, but it’s not....

Why bother with free FP+ for Tier 1/high demand attractions?

They could easily charge $5 per person per FP and people would pay it. What is stopping them from doing it this way?

My only thought is that they believe they would lose the people booking $290/night POR just to get that coveted third ride in on 7DMT...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Club Level: Free Maxpass + Book 1 Tier 1 Ride a day
Deluxe: Book 1 Tier 1 ride, 2 Tier 2 a day
Moderate: Book 2 Tier 2 rides a day
Value/Partner Hotels: 1 Tier 2 ride per day

this is a model I thought about as well... but I think Disney may be getting away from the Value/Moderate/Deluxe levels? (or are they?)

Pop is hard to consider a value now that it's on the Skyliner and prices have gone up. Art of Animation family suites..would they be considered value as well?

you have to think about AP's / DVC members as well (DVC members are in the deluxe's though)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Things are getting very complex at WDW. There still isn’t a theme park in the country that can hold a candle to WDW in terms of quality, service, and theming, including Universal, but it’s obvious that the product is declining (tacky IP additions/grueling standby lines/too much pre-planning/upcharge evens in lieu of regular operating hours) while the cost is increasing. Things will only get more pricy if paid FP becomes a thing.

This fall will be the first time my family has gone to Orlando without going to WDW. We’ll be doing a three-day on-site stay at Legoland, visiting the Kennedy Space Center, and maybe even a couple days at Universal (never thought I’d say that voluntarily). It will be a nice, low stress vacation.

This was all decided before the price increases, but that just justifies the decision. WDW is just becoming too challenging logistically with young kids. Too much stress to maximize EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of your vacation... Disneyland is still great but not always in the budget for us.

if you haven't ever been to Legoland... don't get your expectations up very high there

CJR

I would be surprised if they ever offer FP's in mass based on hotel tier (Deluxe, Moderate, Value).

There's a negative connection to that, which Disney has thus far stayed mostly away from, since people already scream how they cater "to the rich". I doubt they have trouble filling rooms there too, which would be the point of such a benefit, it's the value hotels and moderate hotels that routinely go on sale. To top it off, those with more money are most likely to spend on a markup, at least, you'd think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom