Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

Travel Junkie

No offense, but the first part is total BS. If the most loyal oldtime fans decide to not go (speak with their wallets), then Disney will just replace us with some rubes from New Jersey ... or a Mommy Blogger from Denver ... or an awkward fanboi from Atlanta ... or some Brits who would be considered trash here, but are middle class there ... or some Brazilians etc ... Folks who have either no clue the product is stale or have a mental condition where they are addicted to it (like some folks and food!) or have Disney lifestyle businesses.

So, no, speaking with your wallet and not visiting doesn't harm them (not saying it may not be the right choice for some, though).

You know Disney doesn't care who drops cash in their parks. Your example is fine with them. They only think about the next quarter, not quarter of a century.

We are talking different demographics and circumstances but in California, people did vote with their wallet and Disney was forced to redo DCA after being open less than a decade. That kind of thing won’t likely happen in Florida because it would have occurred already, but the reality is WDW needs to struggle financially to force different behavior. You can also ask your religious deity to intervene and actually put in a management team that cares.

orky8

I originally posted this in another thread, but thought it would also be useful here - I apologize if I'm not supposed to post repeat replies like this.

These types of charts are out there, but here is one I've put together including information regarding the latest ticket price increase to $99 for the Magic Kingdom from today (for the 1 day, 1 park ticket). It is an analysis of Magic Kingdom ticket price increases vs. inflation. The ticket price data comes from AllEars, so many thanks for that. The baseline year for my analysis is 1983 (I think the first full year changeover away from ticket books to All-Access tickets). There are a few basic assumptions (like inflation for 2014 will equal inflation for 2013) and a slight simplification of the average Magic Kingdom ticket price for each year, but the basic message is pretty straightforward. In most years, Disney increases the the ticket price by about 5% more than inflation. Factored all together, Disney has cumulatively exceeded the pace of inflation relative to 1983 by 375%. Yowzah. I have not done much benchmarking for comparative analysis (i.e. how have other parks compared to inflation), but I could certainly try that if there is enough interest (and if I can readily access historical ticket prices for other parks). I hope this helps to add a little context to some of the pricing discussions, as well as some additional fodder for the cannon of "is the value really there?" Me, I love my times at The World, but graphs like this definitely put a little cloud over Cinderella's Castle. Let me know if you have any questions!

25rpe9z.jpg

What would be even more interesting to chart (though difficult) would be the amount of new attractions added. Basically, since Iger took over, the graph took a sharp turn for the worse in ticket prices and for new attractions we got what? Everest and Soarin? And New Fantasyland. Did I miss anything? What about attractions removed too.

Last edited:

orky8

You know Disney doesn't care who drops cash in their parks. Your example is fine with them. They only think about the next quarter, not quarter of a century.

We are talking different demographics and circumstances but in California, people did vote with their wallet and Disney was forced to redo DCA after being open less than a decade. That kind of thing won’t likely happen in Florida because it would have occurred already, but the reality is WDW needs to struggle financially to force different behavior. You can also ask your religious deity to intervene and actually put in a management team that cares.

Actually Disney (Iger) is probably thinking about 5 years, because that's how long he'll need to exercise options and get rid of a boat load of stock. And he's set Disney up nicely for the next five years (though WDW will be dragging the numbers). Marvel and Lucas acquisitions should pay dividends for a while, with Marvel currently churning good movies and merch. Star Wars too should pay dividends as the next three films are released. But then what? Iger's reign has been about aquiring IP, not developing it. TDO has been sucking WDW for every penny it has (and its still got some more to give). Short-medium term, Disney is looking like a good stock. Long term...

BrianLo

Many of WDW's bread and butter customers are too damn afraid of crazy California to visit DLR. They are never leaving what they believe is the best place on Earth for some inferior place where the people may speak a different language and the food and customs may be different. Yes, I am saying that many WDW guests are total Walmart trash. And that's just how Disney likes it.

Perhaps it's for the best. WDW can cater to the Walmart type and we'll still have four (soon to be five) great options to choose from Disney alone. And if you are relegated to Orlando you have Universal. ;)

raymusiccity

I would gladly pay $100+ for a ticket if the content in the park was mind-blowing and it had new rides that are amazing but sadly its the same old MK that has been falling apart since the late 90s with only small upgrades and changes here and there (some for the best, others for the worst). I cannot recommend people visiting the WDW parks anymore until substantial changes are implemented across the board.

You're right. As Yogi Berra once said:
'No one goes there anymore because it's so crowded' ! :)

TinkerBelle8878

They're just going to keep raising prices. At least I figure if they were building stuff and fixing what needs fixing, ok, at least the money is justified. But they've closed too many things, let buildings that once housed attractions turn to areas for 'private' events and are still talking about taking more out (Imagination), that seems to me what would qualify for a price decrease. Universal, all that they're doing is at least price increase worthy when that inevitably comes.

But what can people do? Complaining clearly hasn't done anything. Voting with our wallets, well they'll find others to buy in, so what's left? Attractions and DVCs spontaneously combusting ala Tiki Room Under New Management? A higher power isn't a fan?

kagacins

I originally posted this in another thread, but thought it would also be useful here - I apologize if I'm not supposed to post repeat replies like this.

These types of charts are out there, but here is one I've put together including information regarding the latest ticket price increase to $99 for the Magic Kingdom from today (for the 1 day, 1 park ticket). It is an analysis of Magic Kingdom ticket price increases vs. inflation. The ticket price data comes from AllEars, so many thanks for that. The baseline year for my analysis is 1983 (I think the first full year changeover away from ticket books to All-Access tickets). There are a few basic assumptions (like inflation for 2014 will equal inflation for 2013) and a slight simplification of the average Magic Kingdom ticket price for each year, but the basic message is pretty straightforward. In most years, Disney increases the the ticket price by about 5% more than inflation. Factored all together, Disney has cumulatively exceeded the pace of inflation relative to 1983 by 375%. Yowzah. I have not done much benchmarking for comparative analysis (i.e. how have other parks compared to inflation), but I could certainly try that if there is enough interest (and if I can readily access historical ticket prices for other parks). I hope this helps to add a little context to some of the pricing discussions, as well as some additional fodder for the cannon of "is the value really there?" Me, I love my times at The World, but graphs like this definitely put a little cloud over Cinderella's Castle. Let me know if you have any questions!

25rpe9z.jpg
Oops, thanks @ParentsOf4, my date is when Iger became COO. He became CEO in 2005. @ParentsOf4 also suggested a different baseline year so I will look into that! Appreciate the help.

TheMackMachine

I can Universal increasing ticket prices if the attendance this year isn't a big one, but why should Uni increase tickets to the rate of Disney? They could possibly make so much money with the new Resort, Diagon Alley, the new City Walk restaurants, banking more on Transformers and Springfield, etc. The prices will never go down, unfortunately, but I don't see why a huge ticket price increase is necessary? Unless Diagon Alley is delayed, the resort will still be making record profits. It's inevitable with the amount people that will want to come to the UOR this year.

Lee

Adventurer
Disney: One-day tickets for MK are now $99.
Guest: Seriously? That's kinda high, don't ya think?
Disney: Nah, it's worth it. We've got a new family ride opening! And a 100% increase in Dumbos!
Guest: Maybe I'll do Epcot instead...
Disney: Great choice! That'll be $94 per person.
Guest: That's gone up too, huh? What's new over there?
Disney: New? What do you mean?
Guest: Well, I was there a few years ago. What's new since then?
Disney: Hmmmm... New... Give me a sec, I'll think of something. Oh, I know! We changed up Test Track!
Guest: Is it better? Is it as good as World of Motion was?
Disney: Well, it's certainly newer. And more Magical! Plus there's some new places to eat!
Guest: Attraction count hasn't gone up? No Wonders of Life? No Imageworks? No better Imagination?
Disney: At Epcot? No, our surveys tell us that guests want food more than rides. Surveys don't lie!
Guest: I don't know....
Disney: Hey, look at it this way: If you buy a 7-day ticket, you'll save a ton! That's the smart move!
Guest: But my whole vacation is just a week, and I wanted to check out Universal a couple days.
Disney: Well, that just doesn't make any financial sense at all. Just foolish, really.
Guest: So, by leveraging me into a 7-day ticket and making me reserve everything way in advance...
Disney: We got ya! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be so immersed in pre-planned Magic!
Guest: Not really... Feeling kinda trapped, actually...
Disney: Nonsense! And look, you can get some of these extra magical Magic Bands! Great, huh?
Guest: No. I thought rubber bracelets went out of style a couple years ago...
Disney: Not these! These got a Mickey on 'em!
Guest: I think I'm just gonna go...
Disney: Fine. Go ahead. You'll be back. They always come back...

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Good thing I've already decided to go to Vegas for Cirque Week in 2015.
2014 at WDW is already paid for but they're not getting my $$ in 2015.
DL or DCL may get my $ in 2016

sloppy.joey

FLORIDA RESIDENT NEW ANNUAL PASS PRICING:
Just an update for the pricing on Florida-Resident annual passes.
All down payments are now $106 for all passes. (Full and Mon. Payment include tax)

Pass.................Mon. Payment.....Full.........Change in Ticket Rate

Premium Annual......44.87.............644.33......+21

Annual.................34.22............516.53......+21

Seasonal...............19.48............339.74 ......+10

Weekday...............10.61............233.24.......+10

EPCOT 4................7.06 .............190.64 .......+5

I suspect that MagicBands are now built into the pricing.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've met several families who have stayed offsite who were unaware of this benefit. The worst...a woman who took her family for 8 days. They bought single day tickets each day upon arriving at the parks. She looked sick when I showed her how much she could have saved.
OMG I bet she was. As much as I feel sorry for her I also blame her for not doing ANY research at ALL.

One simple Google search would have saved her hundreds. This kind of information is certainly no hidden secret even on Disney's website.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom