Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

Captain Neo

I would gladly pay $100+ for a ticket if the content in the park was mind-blowing and it had new rides that are amazing but sadly its the same old MK that has been falling apart since the late 90s with only small upgrades and changes here and there (some for the best, others for the worst). I cannot recommend people visiting the WDW parks anymore until substantial changes are implemented across the board.

Cmdr_Crimson

• "Our pricing reflects the high quality and breadth of experiences we offer and our ongoing commitment to investing in our parks," Disney spokesman Bryan Malenius said Saturday.
spiderman-look-at-him-and-laugh.jpeg

WDW1974

What a piece of work Disney is ... I get why so many of you would like to make love to a BRAND, yep ... no addictions there.

Disney should really raise the price to $250 a day ... or, hell, with their amazingly cutting edge best product in the world they should go to $500 a day. Premium products shouldn't have these very cheap (Walmart like?) prices.

And kudos to the loser working likely the entire metro O-Town market herself on a Saturday night for writing a story that makes sure to bring in UNI's last price increase, but has nothing to say about multi-day or AP pricing (not at all important in the home town market).

Does George Anthony Kalogridis have a soul?

But, hey, this is all about Disney not being able to meet any of its financial targets without increasing prices. They are running this resort like it's in a death spiral, not like they expect it to be there in 20 years. Seriously.

Last edited:

rudyjr13

What a piece of work Disney is ... I get why so many of you would like to make love to a BRAND, yep ... no addictions there.

Disney should really raise the price to $250 a day ... or, hell, with their amazingly cutting edge best product in the world they should go to $500 a day. Premium products shouldn't have these very cheap (Walmart like?) prices.

And kudos to the loser working likely the entire metro O-Town market herself on a Saturday night for writing a story that makes sure to bring in UNI's last price increase, but has nothing to say about multi-day or AP pricing (not at all important in the home town market).

Does George Anthony Kalogridis have a soul?

But, hey, this is all about Disney not being able to meet any of its financial targets without increasing prices. They are running this resort like its in a death spiral, not like they expect it to be there in 20 years. Seriously.

Isn't The solution is to stop visiting? I went for a week so I'm part of the issue but rented DVC points and used gift cards for tickets.

SherlockWayne

Not sure why, but the first thought that came to my mind when i saw this is maybe this is Disney's way of getting Universal to be the first one to cross the 100 dollar barrier. Seems like that was the limit no one wanted to be the first to go over (granted, after tax it's already happened, but public perception is always based on the advertised price). Universal will certainly raise their prices this year too, and in an effort to stay on top, it wouldn't surprise me if they match the MK price or more.

CDavid

Although I don't like raising ticket prices at all either, it is still cheaper than a lot of other entertainment options out there. I think another poster here once said it is still cheaper than seeing a 2 hour Broadway play, or a 2 hour concert for a big name star, or a lot of 2 hour sporting events.

At best, that's an apples to oranges comparison; More likely, its something like apples to cucumbers. Both are food items, but the similarities largely end there. A theme park is not a sporting event, a concert, or a play. It's a theme park. For every entertainment activity you can name which is more expensive, you can name ten which cost a tiny fraction of a Disney one-day ticket (movies, mini-golf, fishing, museums, etc.).

The better comparison would seem to be other theme and amusement parks, maybe traveling carnivals, or even a county fair midway. indeed, the Magic Kingdom (at least) is worth a premium over some of those other parks and attractions - but how much of a premium, and since other central Florida parks tend to take something of a lead from Disney when it comes to pricing, are those comparison parks themselves reasonably priced.

WDW1974

Isn't The solution is to stop visiting? I went for a week so I'm part of the issue but rented DVC points and used gift cards for tickets.

That is an individual decision that everyone has to make. I have had an AP since 1982. I have never bought a single day ticket. But my AP has gone up about 35% in three years ... the quality sure as hell hasn't.

And I readily admit I could give mine up and get in for free anytime thanks to friends ... it just isn't something I've wanted to do.

But I will also say that Disney doesn't want old, loyal customers like myself because we demand a certain level of product that Disney is unwilling to provide. The guests they want are folks that either never visited in the 70s, 80s or 90s or are mentally feeble and addicted to the BRAND. They have a lot lower standards.

Of course I do have that AP, live three hours away and haven't been there since October ... I am very tired of the product and the management. And in O-Town, they are absolutely a second rate product.

WDW1974

I am confused - $100 for MK - what exactly is the increased exceptional experiences they account for? The MK has decreased hours, cut entertainment, disgusting food, do I need to go on? I do not understand how prices for everything goes up yet quality goes down.

They will tout the New Fantasyland product, even though parts of it opened as far back as 2012, as reason to justify this plus their internal surveys.

it's all bull$hit ... they aren't meeting targets for NGE and they need to raise revenue the only way they know how.

71jason

Although I don't like raising ticket prices at all either, it is still cheaper than a lot of other entertainment options out there. I think another poster here once said it is still cheaper than seeing a 2 hour Broadway play, or a 2 hour concert for a big name star, or a lot of 2 hour sporting events.

Last Magic game I saw cost me $12 (+$5 parking). Sure there are more expensive options, but you can also upgrade from a basic 1-day MK ticket--for example, a guided tour. Daytona 500 tickets and concerts at Hard Rock or HoB also start well below $100.

Also, there is inflation to consider. The dollar ain't what it used to be. Still sucks though to have to pay more. But I am not surprised. A bit upset maybe, but not surprised.

@ParentsOf4 created a great chart tracking WDW ticket prices v. inflation. Pretty sure it's in the General Parks Discussion subgroup.

omurice

Just... wow. I'm in shock.
Feels like a game of let's see how high can we turn the heat up before the frogs jump out of the water. Which people have been describing on these boards for quite a while.
AP is up in about 62 days, wonder if the AP cost goes up too.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

The only way to get them to stop is for the masses to vote with your wallet. Until the masses spend their money somewhere else, price increases to a stale product will continue.

I’m going to take the contrarian point of view here and at say least the timing of their increase is well thought out. Disney has now set the benchmark in a year that Universal is expecting massive crowds and could get away with a larger than $4 increase without much pushback. Does Universal now feel pressure to keep their inevitable price increase in line with Disney’s? Right now their 1 day single park ticket is $2 above a non MK park. Would they dare match or even go above MK’s price even if it is a newer fresher product?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom